There Was You (Completed)

By random_insight

Have you ever wondered how different your life will be if you haven't met someone? Our lives are defined by t... More

Prologue
1 Kayod Kuwarenta-Anyos
2 - Welcome Home, Tita Terrie
3 - My Pemily
4 - All In A Day's Work
5 - Mr. Dimple at Ms. Cleft Chin
6 - Sa Iyong Ngiti
7 - Reality Check
8 - What ever will be, will be
9 - Seen-Zoned
10 - Tuliro
11 - So It's You
12 - Banana-Q
13 - Miss Maine
14 - Ginoong Richard
15 - Two Friends and A Suitor?
16 - #Paano?
17 - And The Winner Is...
18 - #Anyare?
19 - Pride and Principles
20 - Dress Rehearsals
21 - Dinner is Served
22 - You Wish
23 - Humble Pie, You Want?
24 - Doon Po sa Amin
25 - Bahay Kubo
26 - Sa Kabukiran
27 - Just Pure Talk
28 - Countdown Begins
29 - This is The Moment
30 - Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo
31 - Operation Maine-bow
32 - It's a Date
33 - Daddy's Home
34 - The Plot Thickens
35 - Lull Before The Storm
36 - It's Storm Signal No?
37 - Muntik na Kitang Minahal
38 - Hindi Ko Kaya
39 - Pagdating ng Panahon
40 - Changes
42 - Indifference
43 - A Tangled Web
44 - It's Complicated
45 - Moment Of Truth
46 - Kung Ako'y Mag-aasawa
47 - Reawakened
48 - Puso-sa-Pusong Usapan
49 - Absence makes the heart...
49-1 .... Grow Fonder?
50 - Legalities
51 - #TWYLigaw
52 - One Day Isang Araw
53 - Let the Love Begin
Patalastas (Hindi po Update)
54 - A New Beginning
55 - Adjustments
56-1 Compromise
56-2 And More Compromise
57 - Communicate, Communicate
58 - Breaking Down Walls
59 - Wedding Prep
60 - Hanggang
61 - Bottom of the Barrel?
62 - Cavalry
63 - Love Never Fails
64 - Ikaw
65 - There Was You
Epilogue

41 - Begin the Begin

5.9K 518 163
By random_insight

A/N: Brace yourself, this will be by far the longest update (straps on seat belt) . Ready for take off.

A little bit of flashback, because it was not as simple as that "Hi, Maine", "Richard.":

Richard almost, almost, cancelled out at the last minute.

When he said that tried to shy away from getting news about her, he was not lying.

Everything happened so fast after the initial meeting with the husband-and-wife VC team of Dwight and Heather, and his very supportive employer. One day he was just a draftsman with a lot of ideas on how to make things better, the next day, he's working on the prototype. The rest is history.

Putting up a start-up business and pleasing the investors is no joke. A free day is like manna from heaven. He had to polish the concept, do research, hire the team, help with the design, marketing. You name it, he had to do it.

A/N: Ah, gano'n pala yon. Tapos?

This helped him to put Maine out of his mind, at least most of the time. When his head hit the pillow, he's so tired that he'll be asleep in no time. What other free time he has, he spends talking to mamang and Ryzza and Tope'

He has mastered the science of avoiding her as a topic of discussion with them.

But they also mastered the art of dropping information about Maine by accident. That's where he attributes whatever he knows about her; that she went to the States, the why is unknown. That he knew she resigned and pursued Interior Design and put up her own business, the name he didn't bother to find out.

Which reminds him that Ryzza mentioned seeing Meng visiting the house in Zambales and driving the yellow car. When he teased her about it, she reiterated that the woman she saw tending to the kitten was Meng.

The "HoMMe Design and Decor" flashed in his mind. One simple search and there it is, her lovely face leaping out of the site, Meng with the perfect smile. She's listed as the consultant and proprietress. Her portfolio revealed that they implemented her design in the school.

The possibility of Maine being in the event is getting higher by the minute, that he had second, and third thoughts in attending. Is he ready to face her? Is he ready to put closure in this chapter of his life?

His word of honor won out in the end.

A/N: Ang dami mo namang sinabi, aattend ka rin pala.

-------------------

The Night of the Event.

Alarm bells started ringing when upon arriving at the school, Richard was ushered to the service elevator and directly to the Activity area instead of going to the main hall on the 2/F where the celebration is. He tried to expect the unexpected and braced himself.

He was not prepared for the sight that greeted him when he stepped out of the elevator.

Richard can only see her profile as she talks to Ms. Ruby. Gone was the girl who dressed for comfort and more to drive the attention away from her. In her place now stands a very confident woman. Yes, her looks had always been classic but her beauty now is magnified tenfold. The color of the dress that hugged her figure flatters her.

Apart from the initial surprise of seeing Maine after almost two years, what surprised him more is the detached interest he's now studying her.

During his first three months in Singapore, he had thought countless of times on how their next meeting would be, when he imagined that he'll throw her accusations to her face, how he'll make more money and show her what she threw away.

His anger has mellowed. What he feels now looking at the very beautiful woman in front of him is indifference. That's the reason why buying the car did not affect him as it should. Whatever her reason is doesn't matter.

Now that he has made something of himself that he can throw to her face, he no longer cares.

So, when Ms. Ruby spotted him, and Maine finally faced him, he can say nonchalantly, "Hi Maine."

--------------------

It was different for Maine.

While Ms. Ruby was talking and it's getting clearer who the Guest of Honor is that she needs to entertain, Maine's initial thought is to back out then just run and hide. Hide away from him. This is not the scenario that she imagined how their next meeting will be. In her imagination, she will have the upper hand.

But she was not given enough time to process and react. Richard is already there when she turned, greeting her. It took all her self-control not to shout at him. How dare he stand there, composed, calm and collected when everything inside her is in turmoil.

Her breeding won, she need not know how he's affecting her.

"Richard."

Ms. Ruby affectionately embraced Richard in greeting while Maine looked on. "Richard! How are you? Good to see you! So you remember each other."

"Good to see you too Ms. Ruby. I'm glad to be back. And yes, who would forget Ms. Maine?" He then turned to face her while Ms. Ruby continued talking.

"Ang galing-galing mo! You know when I caught your interview sa CNN, para kong nanay mo na siguradong proud na proud sa 'yo. Sinabi ko agad kay boss na dapat i-invite ka namin. Hindi puwedeng hindi! Diba Maine? To think that almost two years ago, we were just touring this place and thinking of possible design. Look where you are now! Ikaw din Maine! Nakakatuwa!"

The two protagonists just stood facing each other, not hearing a word that Ms. Ruby is saying.

A/N: Sa pula, sa puti?

Richard is trying to separate the meek, naive and unsure person that he has fallen in love with before from the stylish and stunning woman standing in front him, while Maine on the other hand, with all the bitterness still present in her heart, is doing everything she can to take control of her emotions.

It was at that moment that Kakai came running, trying to catch her breath, from climbing the stairs. "Maaainnneee! Hindi ka maniniwala kung sino...." and stopping cold when she saw who's facing who.

"Haay, kapagod, (hingal) inakyat ko yung hagdan kasi ang daming sumasakay sa elevator. (hingal) Tisoy! Long time no see! Now we see now! Bakit naunahan mo ko, saan ka dumaan? Maine, andito ka pala, kanina pa kita hinahanap. Tara na, ang dami ng tao sa main hall. Ms. Ruby, mauna na kami nitong bestfriend ko ha?"

"Wait Kakai! I was asking Maine to sit with Richard kasi hindi ko siya maasikaso the whole time. Nakakahiya naman kung pababayaan natin ang Guest of Honor natin. Diba Maine?"

Gusto n'yo bang magpatayan yung dalawa? "Guest of Honor? Ma'am, malaki na 'tong si Richard, smart pa. Sanay yang magnetwork. Kaya niya sarili niya. Diba Tisoy? Uy napanood ka namin! Bakit ang talino mo? In fairness, wala akong naintindihan! Hehe joke lang Tisoy, pero puwede mo ring seryosohin. Buti okay ang suot mo ngayon. Kung hindi.... may kilala kong mag-fafashion pulis sa 'yo."

"Why Kakai, is there a problem?" Ms. Ruby is getting confused.

It was Maine who answered, passing a secret message to Ate Kai to stay quiet. "Don't mind her, Ms. Ruby. Of course, I'm okay sitting with our Guest of Honor. Mr. Richard Faulkerson Jr. I will entertain him. Do you want a dance number or a song number? Shall we?"

"Hey, if the shoe fits." He turned towards the elevator. "After you."

Shrugging, Maine crossed her arms over her chest as she made her way to the elevator so he won't be forced to guide her. She assumed wrong. He did not even come near and just walked behind her.

A/N: (Rub hands and stretches arms) This is going to be so interesting. Bring it on!

-----------------

Heads turned when they entered the hall. They make quite a pair. Richard, dashing in his suit (yes, pasado ngayon ang suot niya) with his white complexion which serves as a foil to the morena beauty beside him.

A/N: Sige lang, smile pa more!

They sat on the same table beside each other. Maine was thinking of the last time that they sat side by side on a dining table. It was when he acted as her fake fiance in the dinner with Joon-mo. She stole a glance at him and neither his eyes or face betray any reaction.

She almost jumped when their elbows touched as she arranged the table napkin on her lap. He did not say anything but continued setting his own table napkin.

She immediately removed her hand when she felt the spark as they reached for the bread at the same time.

All he could say is, "May problema?"

"Nothing. You want bread? This is good."

"That's what I'm actually getting. But you go first. Do you want any drinks?"

"They will serve us. You're the Guest of Honor."

He lowered the volume of his voice. "Yes, that's the second time you referred to me as the Guest of Honor. So where's the song and dance number that you promised? If I remember correctly, you were supposed to entertain me?"

She just smiled showing her perfect teeth, and shoved the tray of bread to him. He's trying to bait me. Huwag kang sumagot Maine.

Richard was amused. To him, she's now just another past colleague. "By the way, congratulations! You did well on the design of that Activity area. I saw there were minor changes but overall, it's pretty impressive. Iba pa rin yung makita mo na yung actual compared with the design. I'm sure the kids are happy."

"And what do you exactly mean by that?"

"Maine, there is no hidden meaning behind my words. It's a complement. Take it as it is."

She was about to answer when the President of the school sitting beside Richard spoke to him.

A/N: Wait for your turn daw, Ms. Maine. Guest of Honor nga!

----------------

Richard, as the Guest of Honor, was asked to give a short talk towards the end of the program. If Maine was expecting him to bore the audience by bragging about what he has attained, she is mistaken. Big time. Instead of talking about himself, he went down the memory lane, the first time that he saw the building and saw the possibilities. He thanked the school for the allowing him to play a part, however small it is in the project.

If not for her conflicting emotions, Maine would have applauded him midway through his speech.

As he continued with his talk, Maine saw none of the selfish and ambitious person she had always thought of him to be for the past two years. And as she observed him earlier, he's still the same sensitive person who would give his full attention as he listens to the other people on the table, drawing the attention away from himself as much as possible.

Where is the pretentious and devious person that she hated all these months? Was she really mistaken in not asking for his explanations?

No, he's still a fake.

When she felt she cannot take all her clashing emotions anymore, Maine approached Ms. Ruby and made use the classic non-existent headache as an excuse to go home early. When Ate Kai met her at the entrance to ask what's wrong, she said the same but prevailed upon her to stay behind with her former colleagues. She'll be fine.

A/N: Alin kasi ang fake? Suot niya, shoes niya, phone niya, ano? Tell me!

---------------

Richard knew the moment Maine left the hall even if she tried to be discrete about it. He was surprised that he was still attuned to her every movement when they're in the same room. Maybe remnants of force of habit long forgotten. withdrawal symptom of this part of his memory. Nothing more.

It's not his problem if she can't bear with him. He plans to stay and enjoy the rest of the night mingling with the other guests.

When he sat down after his talk, Ms. Ruby told him that Maine had to leave because of headache. The old Richard would have gone after her but not the new one. He just nodded and began checking his phone if there's any messages or missed call from his team. One message made him stand up and also make his apologies to the parties on the table because of urgent business.

The message was from Tope'.

---------------

Maine sat on the bench in the playground. Nothing changed here. She closed her eyes and breathe in the night air. She may not have acquitted herself very well but at least she was able to face him. That's already a milestone in her books.

A/N: Not in our books, and we have lots of books.

---------------

Richard's exit was delayed as people stop him to shake his hand on his way out. He was already walking towards the parking lot when he noticed Maine sitting on the bench where they used to eat, her eyes close and face raised against the night sky. She makes quite a picture but it doesn't do anything to him now.

A/N: Oo na, gets na namin. Loud and clear. Kulit!

He started towards her direction when she opened her eyes and began looking around.

She immediately stood up and made way to the parking. It seems something caught her attention.

-----------------

Maine excitedly approached the yellow car in the parking lot.

"Bumblebee!!! Ikaw ba yan?" She looked down at the plate number. "Ikaw nga! Pa'no ka napunta dito? Ibig sabihin, isa sa guests dito ang nakabili sa 'yo? Tingnan mo nga naman. What a coincidence!" She walked around to inspect the car.

Richard stood a few meters from the car, quietly watching her. Now this is a side that he hasn't seen before. Talking to inanimate objects. Naloloka na ba 'to? At Bumblebee din ang tawag niya?

"Alam mo Bumblebee, muntik na kitang hindi nakilala kasi may bago kang tires at mags! Inaalagaan ka ba ng bagong may-ari sa 'yo? Sumbong mo pag pinapabayaan ka ha? Alam mo, namiss kita. Na-miss ko yung mga roadtrips natin. Basta lagi kang mag-iingat, sabihin mo sa may-ari sa 'yo, huwag kaskasero. Okay, sige babay na at baka akalain ng mga tao dito na nasisiraan na ko ng bait."

"Kinakausap mo yung kotse? Yan ba ginagawa mo pag masakit ang ulo mo?"

Maine immediately saw him when she turned around. "Anong ginagawa mo dito? Are you following me?"

"Why would I follow you? This is the parking lot, remember?"

"E di pumunta ka na sa sasakyan mo. Go!"

"I am beside my car." Pointing to the yellow car with his lips.

It only means one thing. "Ikaw ang nakabili kay bumblebee? Hindi puwede, may copy ako ng Deed of Sale at hindi pangalan mo ang nakasulat doon."

He pressed the key to unloack it. "Hindi puwedeng binenta din sa 'kin? I can show you the documents if you want. Baka sabihin mo, carnapper na rin ako. Do you want to stand there or can I give you a ride?"

"No, thank you. I'm taking Uber. In fact, I'm about to book a ride. Excuse me." She left him and walked towards the gate as she reached inside her bag to get the phone.

Wait! Where's my phone? Bakit wala sa bag ko? she tried to remember. Did I use it here? Shocks! I left it on top of my dresser. Ano ba yan! What do I do now?

She looked back at him and waved goodbye with a forced smile. Makapag-taxi na lang. Mahirap kayang mag-abang dito?

Maine approached and asked the guard if he can call a cab for her. Negative, he can't leave his post because of the event.

With pride as her only companion, she had no choice but to go outside and stand by the road, to wait for a taxi to pass by. She saw bumblebee come out of the gate and drove at the opposite direction only to stop a few meters away from the gate. The hazard light was turned on.

Ten minutes later and Maine has not been successful in hailing a taxi. Either there's passenger or the driver is saying no to the destination.

Frustrated, Maine approached the car and knocked on the window on the driver side. Richard pulled down the window. "Puwede bang umalis ka na? Nabubulabog mo yung mga taxi e."

He feigned his frown to hide his smile. "Taxi? Akala ko mag-uUber ka?"

"I forgot my phone." She admitted.

"Do you want me to call one for you? Or can you now take up my offer? I can take you home."

"Thanks, but no thanks! Makakasakay din ako." She returned to where she was before and continue to wait for a taxi. Bumalik kaya ako sa loob? No kasubuan na 'to.

She saw Richard get out of the car, and went around the other side. She watched in her peripheral vision as he crossed his arms over his chest, leaned against the car and started whistling. Kainis!

Another ten excruiating minutes later and still no taxi. Maine glanced at her watch, the guests will start trickling out any minute now. She weighed her options. There are times when you need to abandon your pride for practical reasons.

She walked slowly to the waiting car and stood beside him, not saying anything. Without words, Richard opened the door and she got in the passenger seat. She immediately buckled her seatbelt. Just making sure.

To his credit, there were no I-told-you-so's as he settled in the driver seat. He did not make small talks either like asking why she sold the car. (As if she'll tell him. Over my dead body!) He simply asked where he can drop her off. She gave the address of the office. The rest of their drive was quiet. He just turned on the music and followed as Waze give him the direction to their destination.

Bakit niya ko isinakay kung di rin naman ako kakausapin? Nananadya ba 'to? Wait! Maybe he's looking for an opening or timing. They were almost at the office now. Maybe they really need to clear things up to finally put closure to this so they can both move on. Just in case they don't meet again.

"Okay, I'm listening?"

"What?" He asked, distracted.

She put her hands on her lap. "You offered to explain your side before. I'm ready to listen."

"No amount of explanation will do if you don't trust a person. Besides, I only explain my side to people that matters. That was then, this is now."

A/N: Ouch!

Why did that hurt? "So bakit nagmagandang-loob ka pa na ihatid ako?" He just looked at her. "Okay, I get it. Hindi ka pinalaki ng nanay mo na hindi gentleman."

Richard recalled the text message that he got from his friend earlier.

"Brader, nagtatanong-tanong na yung DPA natin. Hindi daw binebenta yung property sa kahit may interesado."

He stopped the car in front of her office and turned to face her. "I want our property in Zambales back. I'm willing to pay the premium but I have to warn you. Alam ko ang bentahan ng mga properties doon and I can sue you if you charged beyond the fair price."

So that's it. She looked ahead as she answered him, aware of his eyes on her. "Paano kung may mga improvements na 'kong pinagawa?"

Mukhang madali naman palang kausap. "Then include it in the price."

"Paano kung may iniintay ding harvest sa taniman?"

"Add that as well, I don't care."

It's her turn to face him. "Then here's my answer. Read my lips. Madali kang kausap diba? It. Is. Not. For. Sale. Thank you and goodbye."

She unlocked the door and was about to open it when he touched her arm to stop her. He unbuckled her seatbelt while still holding her with his other arm. "Seatbelt mo. Hindi pa tayo tapos."

A/N:Uy hindi ako nagbilang, sino lamang? Anong quarter na? Magkaaway nga ba?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.9K 1.5K 100
Classmates turns to Lovers. "I will always love you, FOREVER"
372 89 33
Stell and Amelia's story
1.2M 4.7K 11
Paano kung na buntis ka ng isang lalaking sikat? anong gagawin mo? And What if one day nalaman niyang anak niya ang dinadala mo? Sasabihin mo ba ang...
70.5K 1.6K 45
Dare: 10 nights with a stranger. Will you fall in love or not? Iyan ang nai-post ni Heizel, matapos siyang masaktan ni Denver. Isang lalaki ang sumag...