I've Got What I Wanted

By Phoenix-54

Sequel to I Want Mr Baker! After hiding their relationship for a year, Riley Spence and Caleb Baker finally h... More

I've Got What I Wanted. Part 1
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 2
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 3
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 4
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 5
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 6
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 7
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 8
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 9
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 10
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 11
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 12
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 13
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 14
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 15
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 16
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 18
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 19
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 20
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 21
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 22
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 23
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 24
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 25
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 26
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 27
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 28
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 29
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 30
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 31
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 32
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 33
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 34
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 35
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 36
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 37
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 38
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 39
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 40
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 41
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 42
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 43
I've Got What I Wanted. Part 44
I've Got What I Wanted. Epilouge
IGWIW Valentine's Special Chapter

I've Got What I Wanted. Part 17

17.1K 198 23
By Phoenix-54

Hey guys :) So I haven't proof read this yet because I'm really tired. I've been really busy lately so I've not had a lot of time to just sit down and do something. Or even write to be honest. So, I'll fix it all tomorrow.
I saw The Hunger Games last night by the way. It is AMAZING :) Seriously, go and see it. Absolutely fantastic :) And it's got Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson in who are totally fit ;) But seriously go see it :)
So I'm going to bed. But Please Vote Comment and Become a Fan. I really appreciate it :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"I think we should go," I vaguely heard. 

"Well if you don't shut up he'll wake up and then we'll have to go." Another person whispered slightly harshly. "He's been here for two days; he's not going to wake up." Well I was awake now that they were arguing. Whoever they were. 

"Whatever," the girl said giving up. "Do you think she'll wake up? It would be pretty bad if she didn't." The guy sighed, not irritably but unsure. 

"I don't know; I don't see why not. I just hope she does." I groaned and pushed myself up. I tried opening my eyes, trying to adjust to the light. 

"I told you we'd wake him," the girl smugly said. I rubbed my eyes before looking at the pair. Once the blurriness cleared, I saw Aaron and Beth. 

"Hey guys," I said groggily. I pushed myself up, causing pain to start in my neck. I groaned and rubbed it. I guess that's what I get for laying my head on Riley's bed. "How long have you been here?" I yawned sitting back. 

"About half an hour." Aaron answered for them. I looked at my watch and saw it was three o’clock in the afternoon.

"When did you come home?" I asked Beth. It will probably be good for Riley if her friends are here when she wakes him. I'm probably the last person she wants to see. 

"I came home yesterday. But I thought I'd wait until today to come in." 

"You could've came in yesterday if you wanted to." She shrugged giving a small smile. She really hasn't changed much since she went away. 

"Don't take this the wrong way or anything," she started. "But you look awful," I chuckled but completely agreed with her. 

"I haven't been home yet. Do you know my Uncle Lucas?  The headmaster at your old school." They nodded so I continued. "He's been feeding my dog, so he's going to bring me some stuff over today. Apparently we have a lot of mail." I said with a small smile. "The nurses said I can use the staff shower so at least I'll be clean in some different clothes." I pulled on my work shirt to emphasise the point that I was wearing the same clothes from the day of the crash. "How's Uni?" I asked looking at Riley. And like every other time I've looked at her, she hasn't changed at all. I really do think every time I look at her, the pain in my heart just grows. Most of the time I just feel like I want to cry. 

"It’s amazing actually. I'm glad I went instead of staying here." I looked at her and nodded. "I miss all the people, but it's still an amazing experience. This will always be my home." I smiled showing I was happy for her. 

"So do the police know what happened yet?” Aaron asked me eventually. I was kind of hoping no one would ask that question, but I knew someone would.

“They came in yesterday, but Riley’s still unconscious. They don’t really have much to be honest. Don’t know where she was going, why she was driving, who hit her; anything really.” I sighed and rested my chin on my fist. He furrowed his eyebrows and sat forward.

“What do you mean?” He said making me feel as confused as he looked. “Did you not know she was going to see you?” I moved to the edge of my seat, wanting to know what he has to say.

“Why was she going to see me?” Everyday this just becomes more and more my fault.

“She wanted to sort all of the crap with Martin out. She came out of the exam and just looked like she was in a world of her own. I’ll be surprised if she didn’t have it on her mind during the exam.” Right he really isn’t making me feel great here. “After we talked for a bit she said she was going to catch you during your free period. She was going to explain you got the wrong end of the stick.” I ran a hand through my hair and stood up.

“I think we should go and have a chat.” I said to Aaron, “Just me and you.” I looked at Beth to get the point across. He nodded and stood up. “Lucas will be here soon,” I said walking towards the door. “Just tell him I’ll be back soon.” Beth nodded before I left the room. “Did she tell you what happened with Martin?” I asked Aaron as we walked along the corridor.

“Yeah,” I put my hands in my pockets as we walked. “But it’s really not what you think. She was going to your classroom that day.” I looked down at him to see him looking at the ground.

“Well then what stopped her? Did she just choose to catch up with Martin over seeing me?”

“No he just came along at the end.” He sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. “I don’t know if she’ll want me to tell you. I think she’d rather tell you.” I walked out onto the balcony and held the door open for him.

“But I want to know if I was wrong to have a go at her. You can imagine what it looks like to me when you see your girlfriend leaving with another guy.” I sat down on one of the benches, groaning as I was a bit stiff. He nodded and leant against the wall.

“You probably will get pretty mad though.” I shrugged so he continued. “When she was walking to your room, Adam pulled her into a classroom to talk to her.” Yeah, I’m getting mad already. “I don’t know what they were talking about though. I think it was something about how the haven’t spoken in months. But when she tried to leave Adam wouldn’t let her.” I swear next time I see him his getting more than a punch in the jaw. “Martin was walking by and heard them arguing so came in and ended things. But he wanted Riley to tell him what happened so brought her into another room. And I guess Riley wasn’t really in the mood to talk to you because she didn’t know whether to tell you or not.” I nodded, understanding why she didn’t want to come.

“So why didn’t she tell me that in the first place? She would’ve known that I would understand.” He shrugged and sat down beside me.

“She didn’t know if you would or not. She knows how you feel about both Adam and Martin. And then she found out that you were mad at her, so she didn’t want to tell you while you were angry. But then she started thinking if she told you later, you’d be mad that she didn’t say anything before.” He looked at me and smiled a little. “She basically just started over thinking things.” I laughed slightly and nodded.

“She tends to do that,” I agreed with him. So I did get the wrong end of the stick. I should’ve given her a chance to explain everything to me. If I let her do that, I wouldn’t be here and neither would she. I just stared into space, picturing her lying in the hospital bed. That’s all I really see anymore. I think if I don’t see that, I’ll just keep imagining what happened when she was actually in the accident. And I really don’t want to imagine that to be honest.

“She was going to tell you though. She hated knowing that you think she doesn’t love you anymore.” I looked at Aaron as he broke me out of my daze.

“But surely she knew that wasn’t true? I just said something in the heat of the moment.” He shrugged and stood up.

“That’s just how she felt. But I need to go my mum is probably waiting on me.” I nodded and stood up beside him. “Will you call me if anything changes?” I nodded as we walked back towards the room.

“Yeah of course, though I doubt things will change.” I know I should probably be more hopeful, but it’s really hard when nothing’s changed in two days. We walked back into the room and I went straight back to my chair.

“Beth we need to go,” Aaron said grabbing his coat. Without asking, Beth stood up with Aaron. “We’ll come back tomorrow at some stage.” I nodded, getting somewhat comfortable in my chair again.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” they smiled before quietly slipping out of the room. I let out a breath and looked over at Riley. I really didn’t think she believed that I didn’t think she loves me anymore. I know that she loves me. I really don’t think any different.

*

“You really can’t stay here until she wakes up you know.” Lucas said as I came back into the room. The nurses were really kind and let me use their shower. I think they were just sick of me smelling to be honest. “You need to go home and get some proper sleep instead of that flipping chair. It’s not good for you Caleb.” I sat down in the very chair he was talking about.

“Well it’s better than where Riley is. I don’t want to leave in case something changes or she wakes up.” I ran my fingers through my damp hair. It actually felt nice being clean again. I know that sounds funny but it’s true.

“But what if she wakes up and you’re just completely exhausted?” He countered to me. “You look awful Caleb, you need some sleep. It’s not going to do any good if you’ve got no energy when she wakes up. So you really think she wants to see like that?” I sighed and picked up the mail he brought me. It looked like it was mainly cards for Riley.

“I don’t want to miss her waking up though. I know I’m probably not the first person she wants to see, but I want her to know that I didn’t mean anything that I said. And if I’m here, then she’ll know that.” I looked up at him, opening the cards.

“Right so say you’re here when she wakes up. What are you going to do when you’ve got no energy to make sure she’s okay?” He questioned raising his eyebrows at me. “How do you think she’ll feel if you end up in here because you’ve not eaten and you’re tired?” I looked away from him, knowing he was right.

“I really don’t want to be at home if she wakes up. I’ve said some stupid things and she needs to know that’s what it was. Just some stupid things.”

“I know Caleb,” he let out a breath and leant forward. “I know what its like to say stuff to people that you don’t mean. But sometimes you just have to make sure you’re okay so that the ones you love are okay. Look at it this way,” he said making me look at him. “The doctor did say that she may not wake up for a week. That’s another five days. I don’t think going home for a shower, something good to eat and for some decent sleep. That’s only a few hours Caleb.” I sighed and put the mail back onto the table.

“I know,” I put my face in my hands and rubbed my eyes. I looked up at him and nodded. “If she’s not awake by Wednesday then I’ll go home. That’s five days since she’s been in; I think that’s a fair time to go home.” I tried to argue with him but it probably won’t work.

“But what if it gets to Wednesday and you start thinking, because it’s closer to the week. You’ll not want to go home then.” I smiled slightly and sat back.

“I promise you right now, I’ll go home. If not, you can drag me out.” He laughed and nodded.

“Okay, we’ll make that deal then.” He sat back and crossed one leg over the other.

“And I’m sorry that I had to leave you without a teacher for two weeks.” I tried changing the subject. “I know how hard it can be to cover all the classes.” He shook his head at me.

“I wasn’t really expecting you to come back to work for the rest of the year. And all the teachers are supportive and are willing to cover your classes. I’ve tried to get some teachers that can actually teach History so the students don’t fall behind.” When he said that, I started to feel guilty that I’m leaving my students without a teacher. But I don’t really have a choice. It’s either stay at school away from Riley, or stay with Riley and leave my students. And obviously, Riley is more important to me.

“I can come back if you desperately need me to. It just won’t be until Riley wakes up. Even then it’ll be a few days.”

“Honestly Caleb, its fine. We can cope with it for a few weeks. School is nearly over anyway. I know you’d rather be here anyway.” I nodded feeling better that he didn’t expect me to come back straight away. “And I know when she leaves you’ll want to stay at home and make sure she’s okay. I know you better than you think I do.” I laughed properly for the first time since being here. “Seriously though, the whole school supports you.” I smiled and nodded at him.

“Thanks, it means a lot. I know I’m probably not the most liked person at work.” He furrowed his eyebrows at me confused.

“Why wouldn’t you be? Everybody loves you there.” I put my elbow on the arm of the chair, before resting my temple on my fist.

“I’m the teacher that had a relationship with his student. The guy that broke one of the most important rules of being a teacher. And I’m still there, when I should have probably been fired.” I watched as realisation came over his face. I know it was Lucas who chose not to fire me, but I’m sure that’s what everyone thinks.

“As far as everyone else thinks, I only found out when everyone else found out. And those investigations never found anything anyway. I’m sure they don’t think you kept your job because you’re my nephew.” I shrugged, but knew he was probably right. 

“Yeah, but they’re only going to see me as the teacher that had a relationship with his student. That’s the only way they’re going to see me.” He sat forward, shaking his head at me.

“You’re an important part to the school. All the teachers know how much you love the school. You teach, you help with PE, you coach the rugby and football teams, you tutor your students when they need it and you help with school events. You do more than you think you do. You probably do more than some of the teachers that have been there longer than you.” I smiled and looked over at Riley. Obviously, she’s still lying in exactly the same position. “Do you not want to work there anymore? Is that why you feel everyone doesn’t want you there?” I looked back over to him, seeing he was starting to get really serious.

“No I love it there. It’s a really big part of my life; I don’t think I’ll be leaving anytime soon. I guess it’s just going to take some time to get back to the way things where; when everyone forgets what I did.” He smiled and nodded.

“Don’t worry it’s not as bad as you think it is.” I laughed, sitting back in my hair. “You never know,” he started with a smile. “You might take my job some day.” I laugh, shaking my head at him.

“I don’t think I’d like all the pressure of running a school. The next person has some big boots to fill.” He smiled and shrugged.

“I don’t know about that. I’m just doing what I was paid to do.” He said as if running a school was nothing. But he’s doing a really good job. “But I think you should at least apply to be a senior teacher. You would do an amazing job Caleb.”

“I don’t know if I really want to do it though.” I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. “I’ll think about it over summer. It’s not one of my high priorities right now.”

“Yeah I understand,” he said nodding.

“But will I get paid extra?” He laughed and nodded. I was only joking; I don’t even need the money I’m earning now.

“Yes you do, and you don’t need it.” I looked up at me and smirked.

“I’ve told you before if you want or need some of it I’ll transfer it into your account.” He furrowed his eyebrows shaking his head.

“Your parents left that for you, not me. You’re going to need it further down the line. You might not need all of it, but then you can leave it to your children or whatever you want to do with it. I don’t need anymore than what I’ve got now.” I smiled at the fact he said ‘your children.’ It’s still unbelievable that I’m going to be a dad. And with Riley, that just makes it even better. We’re going to be a proper family. Just Riley, me and either our little boy or girl. I’m seriously excited to be a dad. All that needs to happen is for Riley to get better so we can look forward to it together.

“Caleb?” I looked up from my daze to Lucas.

“What?” I asked watching him stand up.

“I need to go and pick up Lucy and Amanda from her mother’s. I’ll call you tomorrow okay?” I nodded and stood up.

“Yeah, just whenever you get a chance. You don’t have to come up, just give me a call or something.” He nodded pulling on his coat. “And tell my classes I’m really sorry for leaving them for the rest of the year.” He smiled, making me smile back at him.

“Don’t worry I will,” he hugged me making me laugh. “And try and get some decent sleep. I don’t want to get a phone call saying you’ve collapsed or something.” I nodded hugging him back. I think this is the first hug I’ve had in days.

“I’ll try not to,” he pulled away and smiled. “Say hi to Lucy and Amanda for me.” He nodded and walked towards the door.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow some stage.”

“See you later,” he smiled before leaving the room. I let out a breath and turned around. I looked at Riley before walking back over to the chair. I groaned as I sat back down, my muscles aching from sleeping on the chair for days. I looked down at my watched and saw it was seven o’clock. I sighed and rubbed my eyes. I moved the chair closer to Riley’s bed before laying my head down on it. I looked down at Riley, before lacing my fingers with hers. I closed my eyes, feeling completely exhausted.

I really hop she wakes up soon. Because Lucas is right; its not doing me any good and it’s definitely not doing her any good. Especially when she wakes up. If I’m tired now, I’m afraid of what I’ll be like when she wakes up. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

558 2 24
Charlie couldn't be happier right now. Her life is perfect. She has the best friends, plays varsity sports, and has the most amazing boyfriend, Caleb...
21K 416 52
your just getting coffee when you bump into an unexpected man that stills your breath away but how can you love someone when your already married. ev...
395K 5.2K 47
Caleb and Hailey hated each other's guts as long as they could remember. But who knew hating someone with burning passion was going to make sex with...
15.2K 356 27
Ali is a 17 year old senior who has moved to a new town, and a new school. She meets a guy named Riley who takes a quick interest in her. But Riley i...