NCIS: Ages & Stages: Growing...

Od HarmonFreak

This story is a continuation and alternate ending to McBaby. What if Tim's regression was permanent and he wa... Viac

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 12

1.4K 30 6
Od HarmonFreak

Gibbs awakened early the next morning feeling refreshed and anxious to get on the road to Stillwater. Last night after he'd put Timmy to bed he'd talked with Jack regarding his visit. The older man was surprised yet happy Gibbs planned on visiting and was eager to spend time with his son. Carefully extracting himself from Timmy's grip he padded into the bathroom and started the shower. He was grateful Tim appeared to be sleeping better, but wondered how he would do at stranger's house.

After he showered and quickly packed his toiletries he stuck his head outside the door to check on Tim. Gibbs chuckled lightly when he saw the youngster was sleeping on his tummy with his knees tucked underneath him and his butt in the air. Grabbing his camera off the dresser he snapped a few pictures wanting to capture the moment forever. It wouldn't be too long before Tim started growing up and it was important to have nice memories for the both of them. He was glad he'd packed most of their clothing and supplies yesterday so they could leave with minimal fuss. Staring at the large suitcase jammed full of clothes for only a few days he was reminded once again that he was a father and no longer a single man. He smiled at that thought and finished dressing. Following a lengthy search through his closet he found an old Military Sea Bag from his time in the Corps and packed Timmy's essentials such as toys, diapers, wipes and anything they might need. Quietly carrying the bags downstairs to the front door he was met by a loud bark from Jethro.

"Shh!" He admonished the dog; afraid the bark would wake his sleeping baby. Jethro whined briefly and headed toward the back door eager to take care of business. After letting the dog outside, he sipped on a fresh cup of coffee while preparing breakfast. When he'd phoned the others last night after the adoption papers were signed and mentioned the trip to Stillwater, Abby graciously agreed to keep Jethro for the weekend. Gibbs figured his father probably wouldn't have minded, but Timmy was already a handful and it gave him one less being to keep track of. Once the dog was back inside enjoying breakfast and a small cooler was packed with snacks and bottles of milk, Gibbs felt it was time to wake Tim. Trudging back upstairs he was unhappy of the prospect of waking his little guy because he needed sleep, but it was close to the time he wanted to leave and assumed he could sleep in the car. Walking into the bedroom he was relieved to find the toddler stretching; bleary eyed and his hair a disheveled mess.

"Hey sweetie, did you sleep well?" Gibbs asked, sitting down on the bed and running his hand through Tim's curls.

Timmy nodded and stretched one arm over his head. Gibbs took that as an opportunity to lightly tickle his armpit causing a squeal to escape the toddler's mouth. "I've got a surprise for you this morning, kiddo. We're going to Stillwater so you can meet Grandpa Jack!"

Eyes widening, Tim shook his head and concealed his face against Gibbs' lap. Gently stroking the baby's back, Gibbs tried to reassure him, "It's going to be so much fun! Daddy will be with you the entire time so you have nothing to worry about. I know Grandpa Jack is going to be so excited to meet you!" Continuing words of encouragement he gathered Tim in his arms and placed him on the changing table. Stripping the toddler out of his sleeper he leaned down and blew raspberries on Timmy's tummy hoping to ease some of his anxiety. Tim giggled hysterically as Gibbs' lips came in contact with his soft, delicate skin. Squirming, squealing and flaying his legs in delight, Tim relished in the attention from his Daddy and soon was working hard to catch his breath.

"Da...da...n...no..." Timmy gasped in between breaths attempting to push Gibbs away from him.

"No what?" The older man teased giving one final blow to his son's belly.

"Siwwy Dada!"

"Silly Dada? I'll show you silly Dada!" Gibbs laughed and pretended that he was going to continue his assault on Timmy's tummy.

Timmy shrieked and threw his chubby arms up over his belly in order to protect it. Chuckling, Gibbs raised his hands in surrender, "I'm done, Timmy. You have the cutest little tummy and sometimes I just can't help myself. I just want to eat you up!"

The toddler blushed and when Gibbs reached down for a clean diaper he felt it was safe to relax again. After changing Tim's diaper, Gibbs rifled through the drawers looking for something comfortable for him to wear on the trip. When he saw a buttoned-down flannel shirt that was similar in color and style to what he was wearing he pulled it out along with a long-sleeved onesie and black sweatpants. Sitting Tim up, he pulled the onesie on over his head and gently laid the toddler back down. While he continued dressing him, he spoke, "I don't know what Tony and Abby are talking about when they say I don't have any style. I picked these clothes out and you are going to look adorable my boy!"

"Dada?"

"What is it baby?"

Tim rubbed his tummy and giggled when a small growl escaped it. Gibbs chuckled and rubbed it as well, "Aww is my poor baby hungry?"

"Yesh, wan baba!"

After sliding Tim's sweatpants on, Gibbs pulled him up into a sitting position while he put on his black Converse high tops. "Well you are in luck because I have breakfast ready downstairs. We need to comb your hair and finish putting on your shoes and then we can head down to eat." Tying the final knot he picked Tim up and headed toward the bathroom. Sitting him on top of the toilet seat he wet his hands and ran them gently through Tim's hair trying to tame the out of control curls. Tim giggled as a drop of water landed on his nose and slid down the side.

"Sorry buddy. Daddy's a bit messy, isn't he? It'll almost be like having a second bath by the time I get done with you." He paused and brushed Tim's bangs off to one side before sighing, "I think that's going to be as good as it gets. My little man is so handsome."

"Wike Dada?"

Gibbs laughed, picked Tim up and kissed him, "Yep, exactly like Daddy. Except I think everyone would agree that you are much cuter than me."

They headed downstairs where they were met happily by Jethro who repeatedly spun in circles upon seeing them. "Doggy!" Tim squealed as Gibbs crouched down to allow best friends to greet one another. Jethro's giant slobbery tongue licked the side of Tim's face leaving an excess amount of drool hanging from his cheek.

"Eww!" Tim sputtered and was about to wipe it off with his shirtsleeve before Gibbs grabbed his arm to stop him.

"Eww is right, kiddo. I don't want to have to change your shirt though." Gibbs gave Jethro a pat on the head, stood up and continued to the kitchen, "Daddy's got some wipes in here that I'll use to clean your face."

After depositing Timmy in the highchair he found the wipes and proceeded to cleanse his face. Satisfied that his baby was disinfected; he popped two bowls of oatmeal in the microwave and tied a bib around Tim's neck. While the oatmeal was warming, he poured another cup of coffee and prepared a bottle for the next rotation in the microwave. When the microwave signaled it was done, Tim clapped his hands and licked his lips as Gibbs placed two steaming bowls on the table. Starving, he reached for it and was startled when the older man gasped and pulled it away. "It's too hot, buddy. We have to let it cool down a bit before you can eat."

Tim's bottom lip stuck out in a pout and he pounded his tiny fists on the tray of the highchair.

"You can pout all you want, son, but I care about you too much to allow you to burn yourself." Gibbs calmly responded, popping the bottle in the microwave before returning to the table to stir the oatmeal. Realizing it was going to be a few minutes before Tim's bowl was cool enough to eat, he placed it in the refrigerator in hopes of speeding up the cooling process. Tim had stopped pounding on the tray but was still sulking when Gibbs finally finished and sat down at the table. Quickly stirring Tim's oatmeal he tapped the spoon on the bowl and sighed, "C'mon Timmy, the day started off so good and I expect it to continue, but that means you have to get all the grouchy bugs out of your system."

Tim looked at him perplexed and raised his eyebrows slightly, "Bugz?"

"Yep, grouchy bugs, kiddo."

The toddler started to panic and squirmed in his seat, attempting to brush any of the so called bugs off him. Gibbs bit back a smile and reached over to pat Tim's hand when tears started welling up in his big green eyes.

"Calm down, sweetie. There's no bugs on you, just an expression Daddy was using."

"Weally?"

"Yes, really. I didn't mean to scare you, son. I just want you to behave and be happy. We have a long day ahead of us and it's not going to be any fun if you're grumpy the whole drive."

"Sowry Dada." Timmy whispered, hanging his head in embarrassment. "Hey, now, none of that, kiddo." Gibbs tilted Tim's chin to look him in the eyes, "It's all done and time to move on, let's have some breakfast."

The little guy flashed a mostly toothless grin and nodded as Gibbs shoveled a spoonful of warm oatmeal into his mouth. They ate fairly quickly, the older man alternating between a spoonful for Timmy and one for himself. Once they finished, Gibbs gave Timmy the rest of the bottle and worked on cleaning up the kitchen before they left. While Timmy nursed contentedly from the bottle, Gibbs took the opportunity to pack up any last minute items. Checking the diaper bag he noticed there was only one diaper left and ran upstairs to get some more. Finally feeling like he had everything packed and waiting at the front door he collected their coats, hats and gloves from the closet and slipped his on.

Peeking his head in the kitchen, he smiled at his son who had his eyes closed and was thoroughly enjoying the sweet creamy liquid. "Timmy, Daddy's going to pack up the car, but I won't be too long. If you need anything, just yell for me, okay?"

Tim nodded slightly and didn't even bother to open his eyes to acknowledge him. The older man hoped that with a tummy full of warm milk and movement of the car that Timmy would be asleep not too long after they got on the road. It was a four drive and if the toddler could sleep for at least half the trip it would make both of their lives easier. He was anxious to introduce Timmy to Jack and hoped his father would be accepting of his decision to raise a child. It was important his son have people in his life who loved him and accepted him wholeheartedly. After starting the car, Gibbs trudged back and forth lugging a suitcase and numerous bags they would need for their quick weekend trip. He was glad Abby agreed to watch Jethro or his necessities would have added another bag to the haul. By the time everything was loaded the car had warmed up enough to be shut off while he got Tim ready and did one finally check of the house.

Stepping back inside and stomping his feet to rid his shoes of the excess snow, he called into the kitchen, "Timmy...my boy...you ready to go meet Grandpa Jack?"

There was a mumbled incoherent response and Gibbs walked into the kitchen to find Tim sucking his thumb and the bottle completely empty. Ruffling the little guy's hair, he praised, "Good job, son. Are you ready to go?"

"Yesh." Tim muttered around his thumb as Gibbs washed out the bottle and filled a travel mug full of coffee. Unhooking the tray from the highchair he gathered Tim in his arms and hitched him up on his hip. He'd thought about bringing the highchair, but since they were only going to be gone a few nights he figured they would be okay without it. Perhaps he could convince his father to buy one to keep at the house for their bundled up and headed out the door, Tim shrieked and pointed toward Hero lying on the couch.

"Hewo...pwease...dada!" He whined and batted his eyelashes.

Gibbs sighed, grabbed the stuffed dog from the couch and handed it over to Tim. "You're right; we couldn't go on our first road trip without Hero!"

Jethro whined and followed the pair to the front door. Gibbs knelt down and ran his fingers through the dog's fur, "Sorry buddy, not this time. Abby will be here soon to pick you up." Jethro's ears perked up and his tail started wagging a mile a minute. Giving the dog's ears one finally rub he stood up, "Abby will take good care of you, in the meantime why don't you go lay down?" Jethro whimpered but followed orders, slowly making his way to his bed before collapsing in a disgruntled heap.

Chuckling at the dog's disappointment, Gibbs praised him, "That's a good boy. We'll see you in a few days."

XXX

Once Tim was buckled in and covered with a warm blanket, Gibbs warmed up the car a bit longer before finally starting out. Since it was Saturday there wasn't the usual rush hour traffic and it didn't take them long to get out of the city. Gibbs started out with his normal lead foot then came to the realization that his son was in the car and he needed to be more careful for both their sakes. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if his driving caused anything to happen to his little boy.

For the first half hour, Tim was content looking out the window, mesmerized by the glistening snow, road signs and cars. It wasn't until they'd left the city that Gibbs started hearing a quiet humming coming from the back seat. Checking the rearview mirror he smiled when he realized Timmy was softly singing to Hero. After listening closely he was able to make out the lullaby 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star' and was wondering where he'd learned it. Then he remembered Ziva had bought him a book that played various lullabies and had words to follow along with. Tim's singing became louder and Gibbs had to restrain himself from not pulling the car over and hugging the stuffing out of his son. It was so adorable, so innocent and he'd forgotten moments like these with Kelly. He continued to listen as the toddler repeated the first line over and over again.

"Winkle, winkle, wittle sar..."

Gibbs turned his head briefly and sung, "How I wonder what you are..."

Timmy giggled and buried his face against Hero occasionally peeking out as Gibbs continued the song. "Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky. Twinkle, twinkle, little star. How I wonder what you arrrrrrre!"

The little guy clapped his hands and squealed, "Mowr...Dada...mowr..."

"I'll do it again, kiddo, but only if you'll sing with me this time!"

"Kay"

"Good boy!" Gibbs cleared his throat and glanced in the rearview mirror waiting to see if Tim would start. When he appeared to be waiting patiently for Gibbs to begin the older man did and was happy to hear Tim join in. He wished he had a video camera to record his son joyfully singing along but realized it was a memory he wouldn't forget anytime soon. Before they had made it to the end of the song, Tim was bouncing in delight and asking to sing it again. Gibbs had forgotten that once a kid found something they enjoyed they often wanted to repeat the process numerous times and never became tired of it. It wasn't until after their tenth rendition of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star that Gibbs decided to move on to a different song.

The time went quickly as Gibbs sung several songs and lullabies including, 'Hush Little Baby', 'Itsy-Bitsy Spider', 'Little Boy Blue' and 'Rock-a-Bye Baby.' Tim followed along as best he could but really enjoyed listening to his Daddy sing. Eventually the movement of the car and soothing voice of his protector became too much and Tim's eyes began to droop. Gibbs continued to sing softly, allowing his voice to lull his son to sleep. Taking a sip of coffee he sighed as the warm liquid caressed his raw throat. He'd been singing on and off for close to an hour and was glad he finally had a break.

While he drove he thought about all the activities he wanted to get Tim involved in. The first and most important was teaching him how to swim. There was a local YMCA not too far from the house and he made a mental note to look into swimming lessons. It was a skill he needed to know and that could potentially save his life. He also wanted Tim to start making friends and be around kids his own age. When they returned he would ask Abby to help him scour the Internet for play groups and other fun classes. Once Tim got older, he would make suggestions such as baseball, Boy Scouts and anything else that might interest him. He couldn't wait to go camping, teach him how to fish or master riding a bike. Those were a lot of activities he missed out on with Kelly and he'd be damned if he missed out on anything with Tim. The rest of the drive passed fairly quickly and Gibbs was surprised Tim was still asleep when they crossed into Stillwater. Without any stops and the fuel getting low, Gibbs decided to pull into a local gas station to fill up and stretch his legs. He hoped the stop would wake his son as he knew Timmy might be a bit cranky after his nap and preferred Jack meet a happy baby rather than his grumpy little guy.

Sure enough, when the car rolled to a stop, Tim stretched lazily and opened his eyes blearily. Gibbs reached into the back seat and gently stroked his baby's thigh, "Hey kiddo did you have a nice nap?" Tim whined and pulled against the straps that were restraining him in the car seat. "Wan out Dada!" He shrieked in annoyance and kicked his legs.

"Timmy, calm down! I'm going to get you out in just a minute, son."

Climbing out of the car, Gibbs filled the gas tank and then decided to move the car to a nearby parking spot to make room for other customers. Tim had calmly asked for a bottle and he grabbed one out of the cooler. The toddler was excited to drink until he realized it was cold like the other day at the restaurant. They were only twenty minutes from Jack's store, but Gibbs thought he would ask if the small store attached to the gas station had a microwave. Gathering Tim in his arms he headed inside and was greeted by a cheerful middle aged woman. When she saw the bottle in his hand she pointed toward the back of the store and flashed a flirty smile. Gibbs smiled warmly and found the microwave tucked next to a cooler of frozen burritos. While the bottle heated, he grabbed a sub sandwich and fresh cup of coffee for himself. He'd brought other snacks in the cooler for Tim but figured the bottle would hold him over until they got to Jack's store. Once he paid for the items and thanked the woman he headed back to the car to get situated. Tim was whining and Gibbs could tell his diaper was soaked and might leak before they made it to their destination. After handing over the bottle he laid out the changing mat in the back seat and efficiently changed Tim's sodden diaper. The little guy was much happier after fresh britches and allowed Gibbs to buckle him in without complaining. As they left the gas station he called Jack to confirm he would be arriving within the next half hour.

XXX

True to his word, Gibbs arrived at Jack's General Store within twenty minutes of hanging up from the older man. As he unbuckled his seat belt, he was suddenly overcome by a flood of emotions. He was excited for Jack to meet his new son and couldn't wait to see the two interact with each other. Grabbing his coffee - which for gas station coffee - was not half bad, he exited the car and opened the passenger side door. Gibbs was grateful Tim was still nursing from the bottle as the liquid always had a calming effect on him. Meeting someone new wasn't easy for Tim and he hoped the bottle would help a little. Slinging the diaper bag over his shoulder he collected Tim in his arms and headed for the store. Tim tensed up and wrapped his arms tighter around Gibbs as he fumbled for the door handle. The older man gently patted his bottom a few times to reassure him, "Daddy's right here, kiddo. Everything is going to be fine."

Pushing open the door, the bell rang and Jackson called out from the storage room, "Be with you in a minute!"

Gibbs placed his coffee and Tim's diaper bag on the large table before answering, "Take your time, Dad!"

"Leroy? Is that you?"

"No, it's your other son. Of course it's me, Dad!" Gibbs responded, removing Tim's hat and carding his hand through his unkempt hair.

Jackson emerged from the back of the store and stopped when he saw Gibbs tending to a baby. Turning toward the older man, Gibbs finished removing Timmy's coat and smiled, "Hey Dad, you look great!"

The elder Gibbs briefly made eye contact with his son and continued walking toward the pair. "Not looking bad yourself, Leroy. Now tell me, who is this little fella?" Jackson inquired, reaching up to squeeze Tim's chubby thigh. The toddler shrieked, dropped the bottle and buried his face against Gibbs' shoulder.

"Whoa! He's a sensitive little guy, I see." Jackson laughed reaching down to pick up the discarded bottle.

Gibbs sighed and tightened his grip on Tim's shaking frame. He could tell his baby was seconds away from a meltdown and began whispering reassurances in his ear, while gently stroking his back. Jackson watched in curiosity as his son comforted a baby he'd never seen before.

Clearing his throat, Jackson repeated his question, "Are you going to tell me who this kid is and why you have him, Leroy?"

"Why don't you put on a pot of coffee and I'll tell you about him."

Jackson chuckled, "You think I wouldn't brew a fresh pot when I know my son is in town? I'll be back in a minute."

When his father stepped away from the table Gibbs took the opportunity to pull a frightened Tim away from his shoulder. Kissing him on the forehead, he whispered, "Grandpa Jack won't hurt you, sweetie. Can you sit with Daddy like a big boy?" Tim shrugged his shoulders and the corner of his lips curled upward when Gibbs quietly began humming Hush Little Baby. By the time Jack returned to the table, Tim was relaxed enough to sit facing him but still snuggled close to his Daddy.

Jackson sat down at the other side of the table and both Gibbs took a sip of the piping hot brew. Tim reached cautiously for his bottle and grinned when Jackson scooted it across the table. "This cutie have a name, Leroy?"

Gibbs leaned down and kissed the top of Tim's head, "He does and it's one that you should be very familiar with, Dad. I would like you to say hello to Timothy McGee."

The older man appeared confused and was silent for a moment. Finally he spoke, "Isn't that the name of that kid on your team? The computer whiz who came here with you regarding that case?"

"That's the one." Gibbs paused as he thought of the best way to tell his Dad that the baby in his lap was actually the same guy. However, he knew from experience that there was no easy way and he just wanted to get it out there in the open. Taking a deep breath, he continued, "I know this is going to sound crazy, but you have to believe what I'm about to say."

Jackson raised his eyebrows slightly and a concerned look appeared on his face, "What is it, son?"

"This baby," He wrapped his arms tightly around Timmy and continued, "is actually the same adult Timothy McGee that was a part of my team. The same Tim who visited here and that you've seen numerous times at NCIS."

The older man laughed, "That's a good one, Leroy. Now really, whose baby is this?"

When he realized Leroy wasn't laughing, Jack gasped and held his hand over his mouth in shock.

"I know it sounds unbelievable, Dad, but it's true."

Gibbs started from the beginning, detailing every moment of the past month. How he found Tim regressed in his apartment, the Grey sisters and even the past week of dealing with the McGees with the exception of the adoption. Jackson was shocked not only at the fact that an adult had been regressed to a baby, but also that his son was caring for that baby as if he was his own.

Collapsing back in the chair, Jackson intently studied the baby and sighed, "Sounds like the poor kid has been through a lot. How much longer will he be in your care?"

Swallowing past the lump in his throat, Gibbs wondered when his mouth had become so dry. Taking a swig of coffee, he sat back in the chair and rubbed his thumb down Tim's arm. "Yesterday, Maggie McGee agreed to give me sole custody of Tim. We signed the adoption papers and she's got fifteen days to change her mind until he is officially mine. I thought you would be thrilled to know you're a Grandpa again!" Gibbs' excitement was bubbling over and he could hardly sit still as he waited for a response from Jack.

"You did what?!" Jackson bellowed, startling Tim and causing tears to well up in his eyes. Gibbs' face crumpled and he protectively drew Tim into his chest. "What is your problem, Dad? I thought you'd be happy for me! For us!"

"Leroy, how do you expect to raise a child at your age? You're close to retirement; do you really want to spend your free time looking after a child?"

"I didn't come here to ask for your permission, Dad. I came here for your support and thought it would be nice for the two of you to get to know each other."

"Do you know how much money it cost to raise a child these days? I can tell you it's a hell of a lot more than it did when Kelly was born." Jackson paused and continued, "Does raising Tim have anything to do with losing Kelly? They are gone, Leroy...never coming back and you can't expect..." He paused again and motioned to Tim before adding, "This little boy to take her place."

"Who said anything about me trying to replace my memories of Kelly? I will always cherish the time I had with both my girls, but Tim needs me and I need him!" Gibbs pounded his fist on the table, causing some of the coffee to spill on to it, "My decision to raise him has nothing to do with losing them!"

Jackson chuckled, "Your old man knows when he's being lied to son. You have an opportunity to raise a baby again and you are only taking your own feelings into consideration. What about the McGees? How did they feel about you raising him?"

Tim started to shake as Jack and Gibbs' argument escalated. Gibbs' blood pressure was rising and he could feel his face flush with anger and spite. "Do you think it would be beneficial for Tim to be raised by an alcoholic? They are supportive of me raising him and he is officially Timothy McGee Gibbs whether you choose to accept it or not!"

Jackson shook his head and replied, "Well I choose not to accept it at this time. I didn't raise a fool, Leroy and that's exactly how you're acting!"

By this time, the yelling became too much and Tim started sobbing. Gibbs stood and collected their belongings while also trying to comfort his son. He quickly put Tim's coat and hat on and slung the diaper bag over his shoulder along with his own coat.

"Where do you think you're going? Don't walk away from me, son!" Jackson roared as he stood and watched Gibbs head toward the door.

"We're leaving! This environment is not healthy for my son and I will not subject him to it any longer!"

The older man scoffed, "The kid needs to toughen up. Stop babying him so much!"

Gibbs opened the door and spun around, "Like you did with me, Dad? I'll tell you one thing; I'm going to be a hell of a better father than you ever were. At least I'll be supportive of the decisions Tim makes even if I don't always agree with them. You're supposed to be my father...how could you be so..." He paused, took a deep breath and added, "Heartless!"

Slamming the door for emphasis, he hurried to the car and pried Tim's arms off his neck. "I'm sorry, kiddo, but Daddy needs to put you in your seat right now." Once Tim was buckled and he shut the door, he looked up to find Jackson watching him from the entryway of the store.

"Got something to say?"

"Try to be around more for this kid, Leroy!"

It took all of Gibbs' willpower not to run over and smack the smirk off his father's face. He needed to set a good example for Tim and violence was not a habit he wanted his son to pick up. With Tim watching him intently, he shook his head in disgust, got in the car and sped off.

Pokračovať v čítaní