There Was You (Completed)

By random_insight

Have you ever wondered how different your life will be if you haven't met someone? Our lives are defined by t... More

Prologue
1 Kayod Kuwarenta-Anyos
3 - My Pemily
4 - All In A Day's Work
5 - Mr. Dimple at Ms. Cleft Chin
6 - Sa Iyong Ngiti
7 - Reality Check
8 - What ever will be, will be
9 - Seen-Zoned
10 - Tuliro
11 - So It's You
12 - Banana-Q
13 - Miss Maine
14 - Ginoong Richard
15 - Two Friends and A Suitor?
16 - #Paano?
17 - And The Winner Is...
18 - #Anyare?
19 - Pride and Principles
20 - Dress Rehearsals
21 - Dinner is Served
22 - You Wish
23 - Humble Pie, You Want?
24 - Doon Po sa Amin
25 - Bahay Kubo
26 - Sa Kabukiran
27 - Just Pure Talk
28 - Countdown Begins
29 - This is The Moment
30 - Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo
31 - Operation Maine-bow
32 - It's a Date
33 - Daddy's Home
34 - The Plot Thickens
35 - Lull Before The Storm
36 - It's Storm Signal No?
37 - Muntik na Kitang Minahal
38 - Hindi Ko Kaya
39 - Pagdating ng Panahon
40 - Changes
41 - Begin the Begin
42 - Indifference
43 - A Tangled Web
44 - It's Complicated
45 - Moment Of Truth
46 - Kung Ako'y Mag-aasawa
47 - Reawakened
48 - Puso-sa-Pusong Usapan
49 - Absence makes the heart...
49-1 .... Grow Fonder?
50 - Legalities
51 - #TWYLigaw
52 - One Day Isang Araw
53 - Let the Love Begin
Patalastas (Hindi po Update)
54 - A New Beginning
55 - Adjustments
56-1 Compromise
56-2 And More Compromise
57 - Communicate, Communicate
58 - Breaking Down Walls
59 - Wedding Prep
60 - Hanggang
61 - Bottom of the Barrel?
62 - Cavalry
63 - Love Never Fails
64 - Ikaw
65 - There Was You
Epilogue

2 - Welcome Home, Tita Terrie

9.9K 473 75
By random_insight

♪♪ Kaytagal mo nang nawala, babalik ka rin. Babalik....♪♪

(Babalik Ka Rin by Gary V )  altogether now,  ♪♪.... at babalik ka rin. ♪♪ 

Let's back track a bit. At NAIA Terminal 2, morning of the same day

Maine kept checking her phone for the status of flight PR103 from Los Angeles. It's 6:30 in the morning. She's still sleepy but here she is, inside the car with her father at the parking lot of the airport.

"Dad, the flight will be delayed by 15 minutes according to the flight tracker."

"What else is new? Did you ask Manang to prepare the guest room?"

"Yes, dad."

"Once your aunt arrives, I will ask Rogelio to drop me at my office then you can go home. I will try to be early so I can join you for dinner."

"Yes, dad."

She glanced at her father who is already engrossed studying documents. He has never gotten to the point at using laptop or tablet outside the office and always asks his executive assistant to print documents so he can write his comments on the side.

Maine gathered her courage to bring up a sensitive topic. "Dad, about my job application...."

"Must we discuss this again Nicomaine? You know my decision is final. What were you thinking applying for a position at the Corporate Services Division? It's a good thing that the HR department alerted me. How many times do I have to tell you, the Construction business is not suited for women and definitely not for my daughter! Go build your career somewhere else. Or you can take up additional studies, finishing school or something."

"I'll think about it, dad" Not suited for women, kaya pala ang dami ng female engineers sa company.

"Dad, Tita's flight has already landed." There's no use continuing the topic. His mind is already closed.

Meet Nicomaine Mendoza, 22 years old, an AB English graduate. (A/N: Yes, English, ang English na walang kamalay-malay). Born with the proverbial silver spoon of a very protective father, Vicente Mendoza, a businessman who has made a name for himself in the Construction and Property Development business. The classic case of rags to riches story of a self-made man who rose from obscurity to becoming the CEO and President of one of the top 10 companies in its industry through sheer hard work and guts.

----------

The lady that came out of the exit at Bay 6 of the Arrival area and is now approaching them carrying her luggage is a middle-aged woman in her early 50's. The only adjective that came to Maine's mind is stylish but on the eccentric side. Her simple black blouse and slacks pale in comparison to the older lady's very colorful outfit. Yes, her aunt is as eccentric as she remembered her to be, the few and rare times they saw each other, or if you go by her posts in her Facebook account. Rare times because her dad is not one to keep in touch with his relatives. Only when he needs to.

"How's your trip, Teresita?"

"I'm fine, thank you Kuya. Why so formal, my dear brother? And how many times will I remind you? It's Terrie, not Teresita. Hello!! we're already in the 21st Century."

She looked behind him and noticed the young lady wearing glasses standing behind her brother. "Well, well, well, and who is this young lady over here, over here?"

"This is Maine, your niece, or have you already forgotten?"

"Maine, my niece!!!! my shoulder, my head! How are you my dear?"

"Hi Tita, welcome home!" she approached for the customary 'beso' when she was engulfed in a tight hug.

(photo credit: maine_nions twitter account, Maine at Conchas's 2016)

"It's aunt Terrie iha, aunt Terrie with the accent on the "Te". Tita sounds so....so.... you know."

The older lady took a closer look at Maine.

"Wait, wait, turn around.... there you go. Another quarter turn, please indulge me...and another. Oh me, oh my! You have really grown up, as in grown up! Is it five years since I last saw you? Am I right, or am I right?"

"Yes, aunt Terrie. We went to visit you just after my high school graduation."

"See! I'm right, not left. So you'll be touring me around? God! When was the last time I went home, it's good to be back! As Gary V would sing, ♪♪ babalik ka rin ♪♪. My golly wow! It's so hot in here!"

Her father is not one suffer in small pleasantries, "If we're done with the greetings, shall we go? We're holding up the other vehicles"

Aunt Terrie, Tita Terrie or Teresita Mendoza as it appears in her birth certificate, recently divorced, is the 'beloved' sister of her father. Aunt Terrie had visited the Philippines only once since she migrated to the States 25 years ago. And yes, the opposite of her brother in character and temperament, like north pole is to south pole. Sometimes, Maine wonders if they are really brother and sister.

A/N: Ano ba yan! Kahit anong isip gawin ko, bakit si Lola Tinidora ang nagiging peg ko kay Aunt Terrie. Erase...erase...

-------------------

"Okay, wala na ang daddy mo, puwede na kong mag-Tagalog."

They dropped off her father at his office in Makati as planned then made their way home. Maine kept quiet for most part of the trip and listened to her aunt as she regaled her with the saga of her more than 13-hr flight. Thank God the travel from Makati was a breeze simply because they are going against the flow of traffic in EDSA at the rush hour that is 8am.

"Enough about me. Ikaw naman. Napakatahimik mo sa social media! Friends tayo sa facebook pero para kong nagbabasa ng 'Qutable Quotes' at tumitingin ng pictures ng National Geographic if I look at your timeline. Binabantayan din ba ng daddy mo mga posts mo? How old are you anyway?

"I just turned 22 po."

"22...hmmm.... so I heard you're finished with your studies."

"Yes, Aunty Terrie. Last year."

"Wait! Aunty Terrie, Sound check. Aunty Terrie. Medyo masagwa pala pakinggan! Siya sige, Tita na lang, iha. Kasi naman, walang tumatawag sa akin sa States ng Aunty or Tita. Not in my circle of friends, anyway. O tuloy ang Q&A portion natin. So what did you take up?"

"AB in English Studies po." she schooled her voice and facial expression, carefully hiding her smile. Her aunt is really something.

"Quite a mouthful, AB in English Studies as in a 4-year degree course? Really? Don't tell me, your dad chose it for you. I just know it. What are the opportunities that are open for you? Are you already working? Tama naman ang grammar ko, diba? Mahirap na, baka i-correct mo."

"He means well when he chose this degree for me, Tita. As for the opportunities for an AB in English Studies graduate, I can teach, I can go into creative writing, corporate communications, broadcasting, advertising, publishing, business law and public services, practically anything where the English language is used. And nope, I'm not yet working. I have accompanied Dad in his business trips last year. The plan is for me to start working this year."

"Thank you for that wonderful answer, it's more than 2 sentences. And are you happy my dear?"

Maine was taken aback by the question. "Bakit n'yo po naitanong, Tita?"

"Because, you don't look like someone who's happy with her life owing to the fact that she has traveled the world with her father. It's in the eyes, my dear. The eyes don't lie."

She immediately looked away and realized that they're already in their driveway and the car has stopped. She sent a silent 'thank you' prayer before she become uncomfortable in answering her aunt's questions.

"We're already home Tita. I'll go ahead and will ask a helper to bring your luggage to the guest room so you can rest. I can also ask Manang to bring your breakfast upstairs if you want." She did not wait for an answer and just proceeded to walk towards the door.

Tita Terrie's gaze stayed long after her niece had entered the house. Oh boy, she got her work cut out for her. Pasensiyahan tayo, Vicente, something's got to change. Yes, my dear Maine, I will rest to give you reprieve. But tomorrow, is another day.

------------------

Main stayed in her room the whole day. No, she's not trying to avoid her aunt. She's busy looking for companies where she can apply, scheduling interviews, now that her father has rejected the idea of her working for his company.

True to his words, her dad was early to join them for dinner.

"What are your plans during your stay, Teresita?"

Tita Terrie stopped eating and stared at her brother. "Already trying to get rid of me, Kuya? I'm here for a two month-vacation, even longer if I like it here."

"Of course not, why would I do that? I'm just asking so we can plan and align our schedules. I will be out on a business trip two weeks from now. I will not be bringing Maine this time so she can accompany you before she starts working."

"Hindi ka na mabiro Kuya, you're taking things too seriously, as always. Well, about my plans.... get in touch with my friends of course and probably go out of town and see it it's really more fun in the Philippines. And thank you, I would love Maine to go with me. Diba, Maine?"

"I would love to Tita but, I have interviews scheduled in the next few days."

"Don't worry iha, we can squeeze our trips in between your schedules. I might even give you a tip or two regarding interviews. Promise, we'll have a blast!" Terrie was looking at the reaction of her brother the whole time she was speaking.

"There you go, Maine. Oh, about the companies that you're applying, give me the list so I can go over them."

"I'll give you the list first thing tomorrow morning, dad".

A/N: Jusko, nasa lamay ba ko? Bakit ganito kaseryoso mag-usap itong mag-amang ito? Bakit kailangang may pagsang-ayon sa mga a-applyan? Ramdam kita Tita Terrie, I feel you. Okay, AB in English daw, so back to English tayo.

"By the way, highway, I was rummaging through my things, and look at what I found Maine. It's an old picture the last time I was here. You're still a baby and look who's carrying you."

"Teresita!"

"Why Kuya, is your ex-wife a persona-non-Grata in this household? Even her name or picture? Or should I say, wife and not ex-wife? You're only separated, but not annulled or divorced. I wonder why?"

A/N: Shots fired! Tita Terrie, three points! And that my friends is what you call family dynamics.

Dear panel of judges, we will entertain questions on Maine's 'character background' (ctto maroons89) after the presentation. I, thank you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Baby Daddy By .

Fanfiction

998K 33.8K 69
Two strangers , one night and a love story of a lifetime.
6.6K 283 12
Aeros, a gangster who fell in love for the first time and ready to change just for the woman he loves. "Dos" was surrounded by rules that could prev...
237K 2.7K 51
Sometimes, kahit hindi natin gusto pero yung puso mismo ang pumipili nito.. Paano kung isang araw...
375K 4K 83
Dont ask me about LOVE because I'm NOT Dr. LOVE I knew nothing about LOVE but don't get me wrong I knew How to LOVE but The Problem is I don't know...