Finding You

By kayjayqueen

He takes another step forward and wraps his arms around me in a hug. Warmth fills me and soothes the parts of... More

Prologue
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
-----
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
~~~~~
-----
chapter 7
-----
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
-----
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
~~~~~
-----
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
~~~~~
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
-----
chapter 22
chapter 23
~~~~~
-----
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
-----
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
-----
Chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
-----
chapter 38
chapter 40
Chapter 41
chapter 42
chapter 43
~~~~~
Chapter 44
-----
Chapter 45
chapter 46
chapter 47
chapter 48
~~~~~
chapter 49
chapter 50
chapter 51
chapter 52
chapter 53
- - - - -
chapter 54
chapter 55
chapter 56
chapter 57
chapter 58
chapter 59
chapter 60
chapter 61
chapter 62
chapter 63
chapter 64
chapter 65
chapter 66
-----
chapter 67
Authors note

chapter 39

1.7K 71 4
By kayjayqueen

"About time," mom says as I walk in. She has a bottle of chocolate milk in her hand and is struggling to put her shoes on.

My prepared smile morphs into a grimace. "Sorry."

"Where's Savannah? She always comes in to say hi."

"She had to hurry home to um, watch Connor," I say, which might actually be half true.

"Aw, she should have brought him with. I love that little bugger," she says. "Well anyways, do you have any plans this afternoon?"

"Not yet," I say.

"Good. I have to go the Center. Do you wanna come with? Scarlet misses you."

She's going back to the rescue center? "Didn't you just get home?" I ask, confused.

"No I took work off today."

"Again?"

"Yes. Betty took care of the dogs today but she needs me to close things up."

I look at her strangely. That's two times this week that she's stayed home. If she actually has been at home all day, because she doesn't look sick to me.

"So, you wanna go with me honey?" she asks again before I can question her.

I weigh my options. Stay home and hang with Zay, or go with my mom and get to see Scarlet, Snoopy and the rest of the dogs at the center. Hard choice, but considering I haven't seen the dogs in a while, (or my mom) I stick with her.

"Yeah. Of course," I tell her.

"Okay, wait for me in the car, I'll be right there."

I go back outside, climb into the car, and take out my phone to text Zay.

Me: hey im leaving with my mom youll have to come over later

Zay: Where are you going?

Me: her job

Zay: Can I come with?

I smile and call her.

"Sorry Amber I'm looking for the keys, can't seem to find them..." she mumbles.

"That's fine. Can Zay come with us?"

"Yeah, just tell him to hurry."

"Okay bye."

I hang up and tell him yes but to hurry. Before I get the chance to look outside for him, I hear a tap on my window.

I look out and there he is, smiling happily at me. I motion to the back seat and he climbs in.

"Hey angel." He leans forward to kiss my cheek. "Where's your mom?"

I look at the door and finally see her walking through. "Right there."

"Hello Zay, how are you doing?" she asks when she's in the car.

"I'm doing great Mrs. Garden. What about you?" he says warmly.

"Fine, fine. Just gotta close the offices up at work." She smiles, starts the car, and starts driving.

Fifteen minutes later we're at Paws Here. "It shouldn't be too long," my mom say as she walks to the door. Me and Zay stay behind a few paces.

"I'm gonna let Zay meet Scarlet and Snoopy," I say. We walk into the doors and turn right towards the kennels and my mom turns left to the offices.

I can already hear Snoopy barking before I even open the gate to the kennel room. The other dogs start jumping and yipping, but as soon as we stroll by them they quiet down and stare at Zay with regard. I glance at him to see if he's used to this kind of behavior from dogs, but he looks as confused as me.

"Is that normal?" I ask.

"No... I mean dogs act different around me, but usually it's crazier, not calmer."

Zay walks closer to Ginger, a small Pomeranian, and I watch as she lays down and puts her head in between her paws. I laugh at her and pull Zay past more dogs.

"Come here and see if Snoopy acts weird," I suggest. He's still barking, while Scarlet lies calmly in the corner of their kennel. Snoopy continues to bark and lightly growls too. Scarlet, however, is whining gently, quietly begging for Zay's attention.

I prod Zay forward, and he stands a foot away from the Husky. I watch his eyes glow gold, and its then that Snoopy shuts up completely, sitting obediently at his feet. We glance at each other, me in amazement and him with an odd giddiness.

Zay bends down and kneels in front of Snoopy, letting him sniff his hand. After doing so, Snoopy lowers himself to the ground, mimicking the position that Ginger was in, and starts whining. Zay fluffs his hand through the fur on Snoopy's head.

"It's okay bud, I won't hurt you," he mumbles soothingly. The dog wags his tail and licks his hand.

Wanting to be pet too, Scarlet creeps forward and nudges Zay's hand. It's definitely an odd sight, seeing both of the crazy Huskys so timid. They're normally jumping up on me every time.

"Looks like the twins made a new pal," my mom says from the kennel gate. I smile at her and then back at Zay's interactions with them.

"Yeah, I love dogs ma'am," Zay says, his attention still with Snoopy and Scarlet.

"Well, you're welcome here anytime you want. Except right now, its time to leave," she says. Zay's face falls, apparently he was really enjoying playing with them.

"Can't we stay for a little longer? Maybe walk them?" I ask her knowing she always says yes.

"Sorry honey, I'm really worn out. Still feeling kinda sick. I need to get home and lay down," she explains.

"Hey no problem, I'll come visit them another day." He brushes her dismissal way, but its not as easy for me to do seeing as she always lets me stay longer. He gives them one last ruffle of the fur and we head back to the car.

"I'll drive, if you want," I offer. Whatever is wrong with her, I'd like to help as much as possible.

She smiles gratefully. "Thank you dear. I'll sit in the back."

"I didn't know you can drive," Zay points out.

"Yeah, I have my license. I just don't have enough money for a car." I add the last bit, hoping my mom will comment but she doesn't.

We all get in, my mom in the back and Zay in the passenger. I pull out of the parking lot and roll onto the road to get home.

"What if something happens to one of the dogs overnight?" Zay asks.

"Oh, the Center is closed but there are still people who stay in the kennel area for the night shift. We would never leave them alone all night," my mom says to him.

"I've stayed all night a couple of times over the summer. It's pretty fun. You could do it with me this summer, just ask.." I quiet my words as I remember that he's leaving. I take a deep breath, trying to keep the emotions in. I feel him look at me, but I avoid his eyes. We sit in an uncomfortable silence, unable to talk with my mom in the car.

I turn into our neighborhood. My mom must feel the tension in the silence because she starts up a conversation with Zay about his classes and school.

We have a block left to go until we're back at home. I turn the corner, and at the last second I look to the side and see the brown squirrel start to move in front of the car. I slam on my brakes hard.

The tires squeal and we slide on the asphalt for a second. The screech is so loud, I'm surprised the tires didn't pop. In that second, Zay's hand has moved in front of me to hold me back so I don't get jerked forward with the car.

"Jesus, Amber! There's no one there, why'd you stop?" Zay asks when we come to a stop, his eyes wide.

"I... was gonna hit the squirrel," I say. My voice is shaking a little from how hard my heart is beating. Bashfully, I point to it prancing carelessly across the grass on the other side of the street.

I turn around to check on my mom, and her face is ghastly white. Other than that, she looks fine, but I know exactly what she's gonna say. "Amber, I've told you millions of times not to stop like that for squirrels or birds!" she chastises me.

"Sorry, but what was I supposed to do? Just run the poor thing over? I've told you a million times that I can't do that. It deserves life just like us," I say matter-of-factly.

"You nearly gave me a heart attack, so either keep your dear mother alive or the squirrel."

I sigh and mumble a quiet sorry, slowly continuing to drive. Zay reaches over and squeezes my leg with a smirk, no doubt making fun of my actions as we ride up into the driveway, finally home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Markie By RuHu

Werewolf

2.6K 143 9
All werewolves have mates. So what happens when you fall for someone before you're 18... "Hopefully hes my mate" is all Markie can think as she waits...
5.1K 128 19
"I can't stay here." "I need you here." "I need my pack." "I need my mate." "Correction, you want your mate." ******************************* Blaire...
9.6K 267 29
He pushes me against the wall of his bedroom, pinning me against it. I breathe hard. "Your mine." He growled "No one is ever gonna touch you." He s...
3.5K 205 21
intro in first chapter. read to find out. but.... Amber is a very rare werewolf, she gets teased very day by the same two boys, her life is a crazy s...