Dear Nate {Dear #1}

By danamayfield

Alison Collins is in a coma and now Nate has her journal. Nate never expected for Alison's brother to give hi... More

Dear Nate
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 3-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
-Chapter 11-
-Chapter 12-
-Chapter 13-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 17-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 26-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Chapter 32-
-Chapter 33-
-Epilogue-

-Chapter 5-

19.4K 628 58
By danamayfield

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a great new year!

Check out 'Story Ideas' posted on my page for upcoming stories I will be posting. Vote/Comment on the idea you like. Thanks.

COMMENT

VOTE

FAN

Thank You!

-DANA

_______________________________

NOT EDITED

_______________________________

During lunch on Monday Scott and I decided to sit outside since he wanted to discuss this weekend. Scott walked Eliza to class before meeting me. “Lover boy finally arrives,” I announce as he sits across from me.

            “Shut up. You’re just jealous.”

            “So, you’re going to the cabin this weekend?” I ask.

            Scott nods, “Yup. I just need help setting things up. So can you come with me Thursday night and help?”

            “Sure thing,” I say, unfolding the wrap my sandwich is wrapped in.

            Some freshman walk by our table, giggling. I look up and see them looking back at us. It’s faltering, but sometimes I just wish it would stop. I see Mitch and Patrick walking inside to get food and they graced the giggling freshman a wink which caused mayhem. Mitch and Pat just laughed in response.

            “Do Mitch and Pat know about this weekend?” I ask, bringing my attention back to the table.

            “Hell no,” Scott exclaims. “Why would I tell those idiots about something as private as this weekend? I don’t want them thinking about Eliza in that way or to tease about it. This weekend is important for Eliza and I and I don’t want them to ruin it.”

            “How sweet,” I gush, making Scott roll his eyes.

            “So,” Scott draws out. “I’ve noticed how—different—you’ve been acting lately. Is everything alright? Is it about your dad?”

            My dad. I try not to talk about him too much, if not at all. He’s a dad and yet I haven’t seen him in over two years. I admire him for being in the service, but at the same time I hate he’s away so much. Dad gets a week off every so often, but it doesn’t come around often either. However he is sent to come home for my graduation in two months, but I’m not holding my breath.

            I shake my head, not looking up at his face. “No, it’s not my dad Scott. It’s—um—it’s nothing.”

            “Nate, you’re my best friend. If you need help or advice I’m here. You and I—we never keep secrets.”

            I look over to the door to see if Mitch and Patrick are coming out yet. I still have time to tell Scott. He’s my best friend, I need to trust him with this, but I should tell him outside of school.

            “I’ll tell you after school. You’re still coming over right?”

            He nods, “Yup. I’ll come over after I drop off Eliza.”

            Mitch and Pat walked over about five minutes later, leaving us talking about the game tomorrow. After lunch we made our separate ways to sixth period. During the last two classes I just sat there, just wanting to go home. I’m nervous about telling Scott about Alison, but I need to trust him—I should trust him.

            As I walk to my car I hear Josh call my name. I turn around and see him trying to catch up. “Hey,” I say, squinting my eyes because the sun is shining right into them. “Is everything alright?”

            He nods and readjusts his strap on his shoulder. “Um, were you at the hospital Friday?”

            Great, I groan internally. We walk toward my car as I try to not look guilty. “Why would you think that?” I ask, trying to play it cool.

            “The nurse mentioned a friend of Alison’s that stopped by. I didn’t know Alison had any guy friends so I asked the nurse what he looked like and well, she described you to a T.”

            “Alright, I visited Alison. So what?”

            Josh shot me a glare before saying, “I’m just shocked. Don’t take it to offense Nate. Hopefully Alison was listening because if she was you probably made her day.”

            “She’s in a coma Josh,” I say soberly. “I doubt she heard me.”

            “It’s said people in comas may hear what people say. They just can’t do anything about it.”

            I shrug, “Cool—I guess.”

            Josh huffs in annoyance. “Stop with this I don’t give a shit demeanor okay! My sister is in a damn coma. I wish I can take away her pain and just wake her up, but I can’t! It kills me knowing my older sister is stuck in the hospital the rest of her senior year. Alison may be quiet, but she’s just like any other girl. She already bought her prom dress even though she may not have a date, she still had hope. She couldn’t wait until graduation and going to college. Now—she may not experience any of it. I’m not even sure if she can go to college now if she wakes up. She’s too behind and will have to make up the time she lost.” He breathes in a deep breath before continuing. “I’m sorry. I just want her to wake up and it sucks.”

            I know it sucks. “I’m sorry,” I say, turning to face Josh once we walked up to my car. “I want Alison to wake up too, but we can’t do anything. Alison needs to fight and get through it. It sucks not being able to do anything to help.”

            “She’s my older sister. All her life she’s been looking out for me, but now it’s my turn to look out for her. So, if you’re just visiting her for pity please stop. I don’t want her remembering—if she does remember—you visiting her just to figure out you didn’t really care in the first place.”

            “She’s a nice girl,” I start off. “I’ve been reading her journal and she thinks she’s been invisible to people—me in particular. I guess what I’m trying to say is Alison and I may have talked a couple of times, but now I’m realizing how she has affected my day—in a good way. I—just—miss seeing her around.”

            “Tell me about it,” Josh sighs, looking around the parking lot. “Listen, if you need to talk about Alison or something text me,” Josh holds out I ripped, crumpled piece of notebook paper.

            I take the piece of paper with his number on it and smile softly. “Thanks Josh. Um, I was thinking about visiting Alison after my game tomorrow around eight. Is that alright with you? Will your family still be there?”

            “No, I’ll make sure they aren’t.”

            I nod, “Thanks. Um, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            “Bye,” Josh says, walking to where his friends stand waiting for him.

            “So, what did you need to tell me,” Scott says, sprawled out on my floor with his textbooks open as he did homework.

            I put my pen down and said, “Um, it’s about Alison Collins.”

            “What about her?”

            I tap my pen against my notebook as Scott waits for my answer. “After her accident, her brother came to me. Josh said how Alison liked me and that I should read her journal. So, I have been, and it makes me realize how I miss seeing her at school and, well, healthy. It sucks and all I want is to help her, but I can’t.”

            “So, you like her?” Scott asks a little hesitantly.

            “I don’t know,” I sigh. “I’ve never had a girlfriend, you know that, but I’ve never felt this way before either. I wish I would’ve talked to Alison more because she may never wake up for me to tell her that I do know who she is and she wasn’t invisible to me.” I place my face in my hands. “The worst part is the waiting; waiting to see if Alison will wake up and when.”

            “You visited her?”

            I nod, “Yeah, I felt it was right. I didn’t want to just read her personal thoughts, it felt wrong. I’m also visiting her tomorrow after the game.”

            “You really like her don’t you?”

            I shrug, “I don’t know Scott.”

            “It’s clear you do. With me, I knew I liked Eliza because I always wanted to spend time with her and see her. To me, it seems like that’s how it is with you. It’s nice seeing you actually like a girl. Too bad she’s—,” I shot Scott a look and he shut up, rethinking his words. “Just don’t give up on her.”

            “What if she never gets out of the coma? What am I supposed to do then?”           

            “Move on,” he answered. “Don’t think about that now. You’re staying here for community college so if she does wake up, you’ll still be here.”

            At the time of choosing a college I couldn’t set my mind to anything. With my dad gone and my mom working to try and keep us afloat, I decided to just go to community college. Couch was a little upset because he saw me going far in my baseball career, but I’m not sure if I even want to do baseball in college. There is supposed to be a scout coming out tomorrow for the game so I’ll see how it goes.

            “You know,” Scott says, bringing me out of my thoughts. “I kind of suspected that Alison had a crush on you.”

            I look up in shock. “And you didn’t tell me?”

            He shrugs, “I didn’t want to put her on the spot. She’s a shy girl. Whenever you would hold the door for her or just smile at her in the hallway; her face would light up like a damn Christmas tree. I’m surprised you didn’t notice.”

            “I’m a guy! We’re oblivious to that stuff!”

            “Hey, don’t yell at me. Maybe you should’ve opened your eyes more.”

            I groan and fall back on my bed. My best friend knew she liked me and didn’t say anything. I’m not mad at him, but he should’ve told me.

            “Nate?” my mom asks when she knocks on my door.

            “Yeah,” I respond, leaning up on my elbows.

            She opens the door and asks, “Is Scott staying for dinner?”

            Scott smiles, “You know it. Thanks!”

            Mom chuckles at Scott before shutting my bedroom door.

            “It’s alright man. Just hang in there,” Scott says before getting to his feet and walking out to get dinner.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 779 31
What would it feel like to wake up one day and find out your whole life was a dream? Peyton Comber has been in a coma for three years. But that's not...
26 14 7
Alisa's journey begins with a rocky start as her expulsion from school and academic struggles evoke a mix of disappointment and concern from her moth...
115K 1.7K 54
2/14/22: #1 in sokeefe!! Love, Keefe. Love, Keefe. Love, Keefe. Sophie couldn't seem to get the words out of her head. ~~~~ "You never know how much...
39.4K 1.3K 22
[COMPLETED] ᴰᵒⁿ'ᵗ ᵏⁱˡˡ ᵐᵉ ʲᵘˢᵗ ʰᵉˡᵖ ᵐᵉ ʳᵘⁿ ᵃʷᵃʸ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵉᵛᵉʳʸᵒⁿᵉ ᴵ ⁿᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵖˡᵃᶜᵉ ᵗᵒ ˢᵗᵃʸ ᵂʰᵉʳᵉ ᴵ ᶜᵃⁿ ᶜᵒᵛᵉʳ ᵘᵖ ᵐʸ ᶠᵃᶜᵉ ᴰᵒⁿ'ᵗ ᶜʳʸ, ᴵ ᵃᵐ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵃ ᶠʳᵉᵃᵏ ...