Shattered Line

By Ashanina

Life and death are separated by a thin line. As a soul passes between them, a blank slate is presented anew... More

Authors Note
Prologue
Chapter 0: Unnamed
Chapter 1: The Beginning or the End?
Chapter 2: Inner Strength
Chapter 3: A Life or Death Decision
Chapter 4: Peace and Quiet
Chapter 4.1: Bartez and the Nightmare
Chapter 5: A Painful Parting
Chapter 6: Unknown Whereabouts
Chapter 7: A Shaky Plan
Chapter 7.2: A Shaky Plan (Part II)
Chapter 8: Kidnappers Lair
Chapter 9: Intermission
Chapter 10: Fin Ardin
Chapter 11: Reunited
Chapter 12: Magic Theory
Chapter 13: Quarrel
Chapter 14: An Unforgettable Past
Chapter 15: The Truth
Chapter 16: Death and Betrayal
Chapter 17: A Bitter Reality
Chapter 18: Her Decision
Chapter 19: Preparations
Chapter 20: Quiet Time
Chapter 21: Into The Forest
Chapter 22: A Forest King
Chapter 23: The King's Sharp Claws
Chapter 24: Damaged Goods
Chapter 25: The Mountain Peak
Chapter 26: Arcadia
Chapter 27: The Result
Chapter 28: Payment
Chapter 29: Erose
Chapter 30: Underworld
Chapter 31: An Error
Chapter 32: The Lost Name
Chapter 33: A Sudden Turn
Chapter 34: The King of Gods
Chapter 35: Redemption
Chapter 36: A Change of Heart
Chapter 37: A New Gift
Chapter 38: Leef
Chapter 39: Resolve
Chapter 40: The First King
Chapter 41: Cost of Life
Chapter 42: Request
Chapter 43: Silence
Chapter 44: Death March
Chapter 46: Him
Chapter 47: Diversion
Chapter 48: Final

Chapter 45: Second Wave

291 33 0
By Ashanina

"Do you think we'll fail?" Isla reiterated her question while keeping pace with Calimitrin's long stride.

"I'm afraid we'll see."

Isla frowned but her response perished as blasts of fire pelted the lead, skimming their heads.

Instinctively, she lowered her stance, covering herself with aura. Yet, the magic halted before Calimitrin, the flicks of fire curling back. Without a continuous source of aura, the scorching attack diffused.

The advancing Nobles had bore the brunt. They released pained wails as the fire devoured them, melting their skin and eating their bones.

Ignoring his fallen men, Calimitrin quickened his pace and charged the enemy. She watched as his Zweihänder pierced the center of the man. A high-pitched scream erupted from the God but ceased when he turned the weapon with a crack and severed the man's spinal cord. His dead body slumped against the wall, a pool of blood forming at the base.

Calimitrin continued on without respite, his legs carrying him onwards. Isla increased her pace, her eyes dropping to the once leading Nobles. Only blackened carcasses remained behind, their race unidentifiable. Still, they followed the winding corridor, sparing their dwindling numbers more harm.

"Something's wrong," Isla stated while peering behind, the hallway empty.

"Why so, my dear?"

"I don't remember this layout. The corridor never twisted this much."

"It changes," Calimitrin voiced from the lead position.

"Are you saying this place is alive?"

Lucifer coughed, breaking the stagnant silence his King erected. "Elysium—the floating capital. To the Gods, it's considered their last defense. The multilayered landscape can be altered and configured based on it's creator. In a sense, a living being."

Isla's gaze flickered between Lucifer and her surroundings. "Couldn't they continue changing the landscape to make this fight impossible?"

"Though it could work on lesser beings, but not us," he explained as his irises darkened a shade. "If there isn't a path to our goal, we simply make one."

"Easy enough," she mused.

They entered a large, white, rectangular room. Light flooded the space from the ceiling, highlighting the three rows of Gods. Behind the defensive line, standing at the stairs top, stood Meissier. His stance widened as he supported himself by a poleaxe. The entire weapon blazed white with a curved blade doubling the size.

His position deemed him a general, but he neglected to don a helmet, his chestnut hair pulled back tight. What cockiness. Though she was one to talk with her lack of headgear.

Isla turned from Meissier to the defending soldiers. The front soldiers had inscribed weapons, their blades shining different hues. With the last row containing proficient magic users, their formation expanded.

Isla licked her lips, shifting between impending doom and salvation. They tripled their numbers.

"Do not fear," Lucifer soothed while drawing his longsword. "Our King is not so weak when faced with numbers."

She nodded and relaxed her grip. "I've been in worse situations."

Calimitrin initiated the battle with a ferocious roar. He launched himself forward, tanking the Gods forces himself. Though delayed, his men joined, charging without hesitation slacking their step.

"Isla, focus on the back line," Lucifer ordered before aiding the flanks.

She sheathed her weapon, freeing her hands. "Got it."

She ignored the collision of forces, instead, focusing on the last row. They were channeling aura, the magic baring life above their heads as thick shards of ice.

Kneeling down, Isla tapped into her reserves, pooling her aura. She directed the life sustaining sustenance into the cool marble floor. The magic penetrated the material, spreading wide, but contained by her thoughts. Her eyes watched and she waited.

Biting her lip, she observed the ice forming. The light reflected off the sharp constructions as they multiplied.

Yet, a charge from the side knocked her over. The blow connected with her stomach, bruising her ribs. The air deserted her lungs and she wheezed. Still, her sights remained fixed, her palm locked and her magic ready.

The shadow of death reigned overhead, but the ice stopped forming. The magic users flung their hands up and Meissier howled his command, "Release!"

Isla activated her spell. The magic pulsed through the ground moving and launching upwards. She controlled the space as her unformed aura sped ahead.

Her seconds superseded the ice. Thrusting upwards, she activated the spell and two earthen hands sprouted from the ground, growing towards each other.

The ice smashed against her self-created wall, but the middle failed to form. Several spikes flew past, her gaze widening as Calimitrin melted the shards, a steam cloud whishing past.

Her vision warped as her body flew sideways. She smashed into the far wall, the force rebounding through her body, cracking her ribs. Images blurred and swarmed, but the jagged outline of Lucifer slashing through the axe cleaving death stood strong.

With trembling legs, she rose and brushed the back of her head. She winced, pulling a sticky blood soaked hand away.

The battle continued with her sidelined. The earthen wall remained whole, concealing her location. She breathed deep, a sharp ache stabbing her side. But once more, she collected her aura. The channeling burned her core and weakened her muscles. She gasped, the last bit collected, but heavy and suffocating.

Transferring her aura, she duplicated her unsheathed sword's blade. She crafted the barrage of illusionary swords, each splitting into one more, behind her earthen wall.

With one hand, she restrained the spell's execution, and the other eradicated the dirt wall, enacting the remaining aura.

The earth crumbled and dropped, revealing her attack. The mages scrambled to conjure shields, but she released the magic. The magically crafted swords shot forward. Several Gods ducked or dodged, but her attack's breath consumed all, piercing through their flimsy protective defenses.

Isla collapsed, her lungs alight from forced gasps.

"Isla, is all well?" Lucifer voiced as he rushed to her side, two Gods chasing him. Blood coated his armor, but he wore no marks of defeat.

Lucifer turned his back, covering her position. He intercepted a quick strike, the metals clanging. His form obscured their movements but opened her view of the battle's sacrifices.

The dead pelted the marble floor, the red bright against the white backdrop. Their numbers dwindled to a handful, her gaze watching two more join the departed. Outnumbered before, but now disparity showed murderous teeth. With one chance more, they would be devoured.

Scooting against the wall, she lifted herself. She would not be a stationary target. She would continue. One less God and one more Noble could be spared. They fought this battle without purpose unlike her.

Insanity stoked their purpose. A desire to sate their own bloodlust? Who would throw their life away for such reasoning.

Righting her stance, she pushed off the wall towards a charging God. She deflected his heavy blow, his blade sliding towards her hilt.

The God stepped back, raising his circular shield and rushed. Isla dodged left, rolling once then planted her foot, slashing his exposed back. But he pivoted, calculating her location and recoiled her attack.

She wobbled, her legs trembling. Another charge, and the shining metallic slab smashed into her. Isla crashed backwards onto the marble and skidded. Without pause, the man launched a downward slash. She slide, skirting the blade's path, but her side still reaped a shallow gash.

A ripple of pain jolted her body as she stood. The God relented her time, his sharp green irises locking her down. He circled her, watching and searching for weakness.

Isla lowered her stance, matching him turn for step. Her wound throbbed but hushed behind the battle's heat and intensity.

Again, she tumbled, a sharp piercing blow knocking her sideways. Quickly, she flipped over and craned her neck. A second more, and she defended against the infiltrator's attack, the metal zinging down her blade from her throat.

Isla kicked his legs, putting distance between them, and scrambled upwards. But their attention remained and both Gods delivered powerful overhead strikes. She lifted her blade, her arms defying the first bout. Yet, their weight disappeared alongside their forms. One flew into the adjacent wall and the last crumpled before her, a sword piercing his chest.

"Are you well?" Lucifer whisked beside her, turning to survey the rest of the group.

"Fine," she choked, her lungs burning and her side throbbing.

She scanned the empty room, the remaining duel between Meissier and Calimitrin the final bout. They stood within the cesspool of death, the bodies broken and discarded.

Their two weapons clashed, unleashing a sharp clang. Meissier's blade glowed brighter with each strike, the inscriptions

Despite the weapon's advantage, Meissier angled his weapon, reducing the power of each blow. He moved back and forth, his swift steps placed with sufficient distance and poise.

Another downward strike and Meissier retreated. He hissed, drawing air and energy to sustain a defense against Calimitrin's heavy strikes. Yet, opposing him, his enemy's stonewalled face remained unfazed and relaxed.

The two circled each other, both waiting and searching for opportunity. Meissier broke first, rushing forward and sidestepping Calimitrin. His attack's swiftness pierced through an opening, but Calimitrin caught the blade.

Calimitrin grunted, blood dripping from Meissier's sword. Yet, he refused to give. He jerked Meissier forward, dragging him along with his weapon.

Meissier released his hold, but instead of withdrawing, he crouched and connected his palms to the King's lower chest. Ice sprouted, extending and encasing Calimitrin. But the effect slowed and the greatsword descended upon Meissier, slicing into his upper body.

Meissier groaned and sagged to the ground, grasping his wound. He pulled a bloodied hand away, his face souring.

The ice slowed, and Calimitrin shattered the encasement with his weapon's hilt. The spell's remains turned to dust, the aura consumed.

"Monster," Meissier croaked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

441K 18.3K 123
SYPNOSIS Reading Purifying Love made Rachelle D'magiba feel very insulted. The ending that the author had written didn't go well with her expectation...
10.4K 1K 28
After losing three fiancés in tragic accidents over the past six years, Lady Elphi Matson knows three things for certain: heartache only maims its vi...
79.5K 8.6K 61
#1 romance fantasy #1Dragonlove, #2 Paranormal Romance highest rankings. Awards: Short list of Writers Recognition Awards Dark humor, justice, and l...
1.2K 169 38
*Frequent updates* {This book is complete and we will be updating it every few days.} All her life Truly Davelvon has been kept a secret from the res...