Dear Nate {Dear #1}

By danamayfield

Alison Collins is in a coma and now Nate has her journal. Nate never expected for Alison's brother to give hi... More

Dear Nate
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 5-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
-Chapter 11-
-Chapter 12-
-Chapter 13-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 17-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 26-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Chapter 32-
-Chapter 33-
-Epilogue-

-Chapter 3-

21.5K 703 93
By danamayfield

Hey guys! Sorry it took awhile but I'm done with college finals and now on Christmas break so I have a lot of time to write now.

Hope you like this chapter!

NATE on side------------->>>>>>>> I changed the actor.

COMMENT

VOTE

FAN

Thank you!

-DANA

_______________________

NOT EDITED

_______________________

My feet came to a halt once I reached the hospital revolving door. Should I go and visit Alison or no? Maybe seeing her will help with not obsessing over her so much. I sighed before stepping forward. Once inside I walked to the front desk and asked for a visitor pass.

            “What room?” the lady asked.

            “Um, I’m not sure. I wasn’t told.”

            The lady nods before saying, “What’s the patient’s name?”

            “Alison Collins.”

            The lady tells me her room number and a nod a thank you. I had Alison’s journal in my book bag. I still don’t feel right just reading it. So I hope visiting Alison can give me some clarity.

            As the elevator reaches her floor I step out into the hallway. The walls and floor are white, nothing too inviting. I walk by the waiting room where a family sits; they seem impatient. Walking down the hallway I can hear my shoes against the tile, there is nothing but quietness where Alison’s room is. The nurse’s station is a few yards away from her room. I hesitate at her door. My hands clench on the straps of my book bag as I stare at the door. Should I enter or just leave?

            I decided to man up. I turned the door knob and slowly opened the door, making sure no family or nurses were in the room. Since the room is clear I hurriedly shut the door behind me once I was inside Alison’s room. Her room was dark, the curtains closed. I go and open the curtains before turning around. I take a deep breath before turning, bracing myself.

            Alison had a tube down her throat, helping her breath. With first seeing her, I had to quickly look away. This is too much to take in. Sweet, innocent Alison Collins is so fragile laying there on the bed. I took a seat on a chair by her bed before looking at her once more. She had bruises and cuts over her face and her exposed skin of her arms. She had gauze wrapped around her head, probably to stop the bleeding. I wish I can take the pain away from her, she doesn’t deserve this.

            “Hi Alison,” I say before mentally hitting myself. She can’t talk, but can she hear me? “Um, in case you can hear me, it’s Nate. I know you’re probably wondering why I’m here, and, um, I guess it’s because I had to talk to you, even if you’re in a coma.”

            Nurses talking stopped me. I watched the door in case they come in here, but breathe a sigh of relief when they passed.

            “You’re brother gave me your journal,” I tell Alison. I bent down and unzipped my book bag, grabbing her purple journal. “Josh wants me to read it, to show me how you felt about me because you may not have the chance to tell me.” I looked down at the journal in my hands. I trace her name with my finger, following the curves of the letters. I smiled sadly, tears brimming my eyes.

            This sucks. Alison doesn’t deserve any of this! She is one of the nicest girls I know and yet she is plagued by this horrific event. I clear my throat, shutting my eyes in the process to will the tears to go away. Maybe this is Fate’s sick way of showing me Alison is the girl I should’ve been with.

            “It doesn’t feel right reading your personal thoughts Alison,” I murmur. “If you’re listening, please give me a sign if I should read it or not? Move, or do something, if you want me to.” I waited. I waited for any small sign of movement, but nothing happened. I sighed and leaned back into the chair. “Josh will be disappointed,” I muttered, looking at her journal.

            Suddenly, a beeping sound came from one of the monitors. My head shut up and I started to panic. What’s going on? Is Alison dying? I thought franticly. Before I can get up and call for a nurse one came walking in, seeming relaxed.

            “Is she alright?” I asked in a panic. My heart was almost beating out of my chest as the beeping continued.

            The nurse smiled and hit a few buttons on the monitor before the beeping stopped. “She is perfectly fine. Just need to change her fluids. Are you her boyfriend? I haven’t seen you around here.”

            “Just a friend,” I respond.

            She nods, “Poor girl,” she says, more to herself than me.

            When I arrived home after visiting Alison my mom was in the living room reading a book. When she saw me come in she set her book down on her lap, putting a bookmark on her page. “Hi honey,” she said, smiling. “How was your day?”

            I shrug, “Good.” I take a seat on the lounge chair, taking out the homework I need to work on.

            “Where have you been?”

            I started clicking my pen before looking up at my mom. “I visited Alison in the hospital.”

            “The girl in the coma? I didn’t know you guys were friends.”

            “We talked a little bit before everything happened,” I said before looking down at the textbook. I wasn’t going to tell my mom I have her journal because my mom will insist on knowing everything.

            Once I finished my homework my mom and I sat down for dinner. My mom asked how Alison was doing and all other questions about her. I just answered as vaguely as I could. I didn’t want to talk to my mom about Alison. I didn’t want to talk about her with anyone expect Josh because he can relate how I’m feeling also.

            When I collapsed onto my bed after dinner I covered my face with my hands, running my fingers through my hair in frustration. The only thing running through my head is Alison. I groan in annoyance before sitting up in bed and looking at my book bag. I told her to give me a sign and she did, even if it wasn’t Alison herself who gave it.

            I climbed off my bed to my backpack. I pulled out her journal and went back on my bed. I sighed before opening the cover. I smiled when I saw Alison’s handwriting when she spelled her name in cursive on the first plain page. My hand hesitates before flipping to the first entry. The first entry was written during freshman year.  

Dear Journal,

            Well, this is my first entry. My mom got me this journal to help get out my emotions because I don’t share with her. I’m scared to tell my mom I’m the shy, quiet girl in all the movies and books. The shy girl that doesn’t get the guy at the end I should say. My mom is always there for me, I just don’t want to disappoint her. Plus I don’t want her, my father’s or Josh’s pity since I don’t have friends. Josh makes sure I’m alright during lunch, but another than that I don’t see him a lot during the school day. He has his friends so I don’t want to be a killjoy by hanging on Josh all day. He doesn’t know I go to the library instead of the cafeteria because I don’t feel comfortable with sitting by myself. I tired that the first day and I left like everyone was just staring at me, talking about me.

            It’s been three weeks of my freshman year of high school and nothing eventful has happened, at least not for my benefit anyway. When I went up in English to say a few things about myself, I can tell people weren’t interested. In gym when we had to pick teams, I was the person who had to go up to the teacher to say I didn’t have a team, in which the teacher then announced to the whole class who needed another person. It was humiliating.

            In these last three weeks I developed a crush however. A guy every girl has their sights on. He’s a baseball player, which is great because I’m a huge baseball fan, and he seems really nice and funny. I see him in the halls a lot; however he doesn’t see me of course. And that’s how it is I guess. The handsome baseball player never sees the shy, unnoticed girl in the background. I just have to live with that. I won’t reveal his name just yet, but I’ll keep you posted.

            Well, I guess for a first entry it’s alright. Nothing special.

-Alison

            Alison has liked me ever since freshman year? I closed her journal and placed it in the drawer of my bedside table when my mom knocked. “Come in,” I say, pretending I’m not reeling from what I just read.

            “Hi sweetie, just letting you know I’m going to bed early. Goodnight.”

            “Goodnight Mom. Love you.”

            “Love you too honey,” she said before shutting my door.

            I lay back in bed and thought back to Alison’s entry. We didn’t share a class freshman year and I didn’t know she felt like that—so humiliated. She’s so quiet and yet she seemed to notice everything around her.

            She may think I never noticed her freshman year, but I did. I remember when she stood in front of me in the assembly on the first day. She seemed nervous and I noticed how he casually looked back, maybe at me, a few times. I would’ve sat next to her, but Scott called me a few rows back and I sat by him instead. When I took the seat I watched as Alison sat down.

            I wish I can tell her now that I noticed her from day one. Just because I didn’t talk to her, doesn’t mean me I never noticed her. I guess that goes for Alison as well.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 90 18
*completed* Kinda the whole losers fan fic: (Reddie, Benverly and characters of my own 😉) In Derry, everyone has a soulmate, and having a soulmate c...
39.4K 1.3K 22
[COMPLETED] ᴰᵒⁿ'ᵗ ᵏⁱˡˡ ᵐᵉ ʲᵘˢᵗ ʰᵉˡᵖ ᵐᵉ ʳᵘⁿ ᵃʷᵃʸ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵉᵛᵉʳʸᵒⁿᵉ ᴵ ⁿᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵖˡᵃᶜᵉ ᵗᵒ ˢᵗᵃʸ ᵂʰᵉʳᵉ ᴵ ᶜᵃⁿ ᶜᵒᵛᵉʳ ᵘᵖ ᵐʸ ᶠᵃᶜᵉ ᴰᵒⁿ'ᵗ ᶜʳʸ, ᴵ ᵃᵐ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵃ ᶠʳᵉᵃᵏ ...
33.6K 654 28
Sophie knew first hand what it felt like not being able to fit in. She lived with it for most of her life; since her parents died, and she skipped gr...
7.1K 108 25
Everlasting 1. lasts forever or a very long time Love 1. A very deep intense feeling of affection. Sophie Foster is confused. Why? Why? Did she feel...