Buried Love Of The Riches

By Raathi07

Adam Clarkson lived an easy life as the Managing Director of his Family business. At a young age he's been ha... More

Author's Note
1: Easy as pie
2: Jeans or Dress?
3: Scheming
4: Her Office
5: Playing Him
6: Black & White
7: Look With Ecstasy
9: Stay Positive
10: Frenemy
11: The Elevator
12: The Past
13: Leave In Awkwardness
14: I'd Still Choose You
15: Lucas is Loving Every Bit of This
16: Just Like Your Father
17: Those Words
18: Ego and Self-respect
19: Viola Martinez
20: She Notices Everything
21: Good Time
22: Women
23: Our Imperfections
24: The Best Friend
25: The Things We Don't Say
26: She Won't Be Easy
27: Spring Break
28: Cuba
29: Came For Love
30: Spur of the Moment
31: The Frustrated yet Confused
32: Those Chestnut Eyes
33: The Smiths
34: The Engagement
35: Wrong Meeting
36: One Too Many Drinks
37: Old and New Relationships
38: The Ex
39: Invitations
40: The Dinner
41: The Big Day
42: Afraid
43: Fancy Dressing
44: Engage With The Audience
45: The Last Supper
46: The End
≥ MUSIC USED ≤

8: Curious Man

1.7K 72 9
By Raathi07

Curious Man

Nick and I arrived in Washington DC the next day. I couldn't get her out of my mind. The strange questions she asked which I didn't have a second thought about up until now.

The Clarkson's and Smith's have known each other for years, and I have never thought about them so much, only as another clash in the marketing business. The only time dad talks about them will be if they open up a store or if stories are going around about them. However he never personally talks about his past with David Smith.

Nobody else talked about them in our family. Mother isn't so bad like dad, she still has an open-hearted smile, but you can see she's holding something. Henry, my brother, never talks about them. He had some past conferences with Federico and Cole Smith.

I wonder what happened.

"Adam you coming?" Mason's voice snapped me out of my thoughts and back to reality.

We were currently at the entrance of a big hall my father owns. All our family and business gatherings took place here.

Claudette's Julliard party is taking place tonight. All her high school friends along with family were invited. Dad also used this opportunity to bring in more business. His work friends were also here, and it would only be fair to invite my friends along with Alicia and Henry's.

Even though I'm not sure if Henry will attend. Last I saw him was a few weeks ago at our grandmother's birthday party. Claudette was closer to me than Alicia or Henry. He was barely here when she grew up. At the age of seventeen, he buried himself in his books and worked to become the future owner of Clarkson Hotels. At the time Claudette was only ten while Alicia and I were 15.

"Let the night begin," I said with a grin as I walked side by side with my best friend.

We were dressed in black tuxedos with black bow ties, matching as always. When Henry and I were little, mom used to match us but as we grew older he vanished, and Mason filled the space.

The ballroom was decorated in white and gold, several lights hanging from the ceiling making the room spark. A dance floor in the center as an orchestra played on the side.

A stage was displayed at the front with candles on the edge as a massive podium stood in the middle. Guests were taking their seats as some people lingered around with champagne glasses and socialized.

At the corner of my eye, I could see my sister Claudette approaching us. She was wearing a gold strapless dress that ended mid-thigh length. Her long brunette hair was curled making the white heels she wore stand out.

She approached me with an innocent smile on her face as I raised a brow. Even though she's eighteen, she was still under our parent's roof meaning that she had to attend all gatherings. I mentally scoffed at her outfit thinking that it was too revealing since her high school 'friends' are lingering around.

"Oh calm your horse's bro," Claudette waved off. "Mom picked out this outfit, isn't it cute Mason?"

I shifted my gaze to Mason whose eyes seemed to pop out of his sockets as he eyed my younger sister.

"You look adorable Claudette." He said with a toothy grin. I rolled my eyes as my sister hugged me, making sure to glare at Mason.

"Congratulations on getting into Julliard," Mason commented as Claudette looked at us.

"Thank you, Mason, enjoy the party." She said walking off but quickly spun around.

"Oh, Adam mom is looking for you." She said then walked away before I could ask her why.

I groaned as I looked over at Mason who sent me an assuring smile. I then walked off trying to look for my mother through the crowd that was now entering. On the way clients, family members and friends greeted me.

"Here he is!" a familiar voice erupted through my head, whipping my head around I saw my twin sister Alicia. She wore a long classic ball gown, as her hair was straight ending by her torso.

Alicia began walking towards me with someone next to her. A hot someone that is. She had smooth ginger hair with bright blue eyes a white bodycon dress that ended by her thigh revealing her long gorgeous legs.

"This is my twin brother A-"

"Adam Clarkson pleased to meet you," the girl cut off my sister as she held her hand out. "I'm Nikita Rolling."

I gave her my signature smile as I accepted her hand and placed a gentle kiss on it while keeping eye contact.

"Isn't she amazing Adam?" my sister gushed. "Nikita took time out of her busy schedule of modeling to come and meet you!"

"How thoughtful of you Nikita," I said keeping on my best grin.

"Anything for a Clarkson." She added with a smirk.

"I'll leave you two alone to get to know each other a little bit more while I go welcome the guests," Alicia said, and I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes.

Alicia never does that kind of stuff. She was always the mischievous one out of the four of us yet also the lazy one.

She soon disappeared into the crowd leaving Nikita and me to socialize. As soon as my sister was out of sight, Nikita locked her arms with me. I gave a blank look in which she returned with a grin.

"Would you like to get a drink?" I asked as we began to walk to a table.

"Sure whatever you're having." She said looking around as we walked.

I tried to pull away from her to get us drinks, but her grip tightened. I let out a sigh regretting this since I'm stuck with a clingy person for the night.

...

"Adam what do you think you're doing?" a familiar voice boomed in my ear. I jolt in surprise as I turned to come face to face with my mother.

Her red lipstick was drawn into a straight line as she glared at me. Her short blonde hair was wavy giving it more of an effect. Her arms were folded over her chest covering her blue dress.

Any person would come here and ask that question. I was currently in a corner behind a plant. I finally got away from Nikita when I had an excuse to go to the bathroom. She thought I had something else in mind of 'going to the bathroom,' but I assured her that I needed to take a piss.

"Checking the lighting mother..." I trailed off looking up at a light that was attached to the wall. "Seems very bright."

"I've been looking for you for the past hour!" she scolded as people walked by then put on a fake smile.

"Sorry I got distracted," I mumbled as I straightened my suit.

"Whatever I need to know if Henry is still coming?" she asked placing her hand on her hip.

"Your father is busy talking with imperative people that could increase something in the Hotels and Resorts, but he needs Henry."

"I don't know mom he's your eldest." I shrugged.

"Yes but remember you are also a Clarkson, and you also put your brain into the business!" she grumbled trying to contain her anger.

"Exactly!" I said throwing my hands up in exasperation.

"So why can't I talk to them since Henry has so much work? If dad gives him this job too then, we'll only see him at Claudette's wedding next!"

"Watch your tone Mister, and the only reason why your father won't choose you is that he depends on you with the Smith's." my mother said with a glare.

"Are you suggesting I can't handle so much work mother?" I asked with an icy glare.

"You Clarkson's and with your ridiculous assumptions and short temper!" she said throwing her hands up in exasperation.

My mother stormed off back into the party atmosphere as I let out a sigh. I was only trying to make Henry's life easier. He has quite a lot of work and seeing that this was famous people I didn't want the opportunity to slip away.

I glanced around the busy room seeing my sister Claudette dancing with her friends. Alicia was talking to her friends while Mason was sat at a table laughing with other people.

I then saw my father who was standing in a small circle with men in it. They all looked exclusive with their suits and champagne glasses as they conversed. I slowly approached them while putting on a straight face.

"Good evening father." I greeted while putting my hand on his shoulder.

"Aaah here's my other son Adam. He's currently working on the Hotels here and in Europe." My dad said as he looked at the men. I glanced at them and gave them all a short nod as they took in my appearance.

"I believe you are working with the Smith's?" a man with gray hair asked.

"Yes, I am," I said with a smile.

"So David has finally agreed to work with you Samuel?" another man asked.

"Indeed he begged me to work with him." dad answered causing everyone to laugh.

I raised my brow thinking how dad told me that David finally agreed to work with him. I never heard of any begging of a sort.

"So Adam, since your brother hasn't arrived Mr. Bloyd here, is a traveling and tourism manager and he has offered Clarkson Hotels an opportunity for more guests," Dad explained as he gestured to the man with silky gray hair.

I shook hands with him as we did a proper greeting.

"Yet I need to have a meeting with both sons since Henry Clarkson works with the rest of the Hotels and resorts." Mr. Bloyd said as he turned to my dad.

"Well then I can ma-"

"Mr. Clarkson," Lucas called popping out of nowhere while holding a dish with empty glasses on it.

"What is it Lucas?" my dad asked with an annoyed expression. "Can't you see that we're in the mid-"

"Your eldest son has arrived." Lucas cut my dad off with a fake smile as he spoke.

Lucas was a bold man who never took crap from anyone especially my father. He was the best butler who was always there for us when mom and dad were busy so dad couldn't fire him.

He pointed behind us, and we all gazed in his direction to see Henry walking in. He was currently greeting Claudette. A small smile on her face as she saw her eldest brother. People parted to give the eldest son way as he walked.

My dad spun around and continued to talk with Mr. Bloyd as I shrugged them off and strolled towards my brother.

His brunet locks fanning over his face as he gave off a bright smile. He wore the same suit as me except he wore a gold tie matching Claudette's dress. I was probably two inches taller than him, yet he still managed to tower over everyone.

We locked eyes as he held a satisfied look on his face. I stood in the middle of the entrance as he approached me.

"Good Evening brother." He said eyeing me up and down.

"Hey, big bro." I greeted.

"Looking quite sharp tonight." He joked as we hugged each other.

"You're not so bad yourself," I chuckled. "Where have you been?"

"Here and there...everywhere." He trailed off as he looked over my shoulder.

"Henry!" Alicia squealed as she dashed towards him and pulled him into an embrace.

"Hey, sis." He laughed as he hugged her back.

Since we barely see him, he was always treated like a special guest once he was here. You would think that the Prince is entering.

"How long are you staying?" was Alicia's first question as she pulled away. He looked between Alicia, and I then smiled.

"I still can't see how you two can be twins...you look nothing alike!" he chuckled apparently ignoring Alicia's question.

"Oh, Henry but it's clear who has the looks." Alicia laughed gesturing to herself as I scoffed.

"Keep telling yourself that Ali." I joked causing Henry and me to laugh as Alicia pouted.

"Henry come on! This is my favorite song!" Claudette beamed as she rushed towards us and tugged on Henry's arm.

I kind of felt sorry for Claudette. They barely bonded since he is the oldest and she is the youngest, they rarely had a connection. Yet you could see that Claudette was trying her best to get to know her eldest brother more. Alicia and I saw him whether it was with meetings, out for coffee or dinners.

Henry said he'd talk later as he and Claudette entered the dance floor. Soon after Alicia disappeared with some of her friends.

Mason came up beside me with two glasses of champagne in his hands and handed me one. We stood there observing the crowd as we drank.

My thoughts went back to the argument I had with my mother, which made me even more inquisitive about the past. Then of dad saying how David Smith begged him to work with us, I can't imagine him doing that.

I shook the thoughts away as I gulped down the champagne. At the corner of my eye, I could see Mason gazing at me.

"Whoa dude calm down." He spoke as I placed the empty glass on a table and then took another one from a waiter.

Drinking the alcohol, I let it sting my throat at the speed I was drinking at.

"Who burst your bubble?" Mason asked as I let out a deep breath.

"Do you ever wonder why the Clarkson's and Smith's quarrel?" I asked looking down at the drink.

"No why-" he cut himself off as he stared at me with a blank expression.

"Don't tell me that you're thinking about her?" he asked.

"Mason I'm a curious man who demands answers, for all I know the Smith's could have intoxicated my father or something." I babbled on as Mason let out a chuckle.

"I don't think that's how the Smith's work. Why don't you ask Gabriella?" he suggested wiggling his eyebrows.

"Very well I'll ask her later," I stated thinking if she'll come.

"Won't it be too late?" he asked. "These parties always go after midnight." He said taking a sip of his drink.

"Not really since she'll be coming," I said.

As soon as those words came out, Mason spat out his drink. The liquid landed on a waitress who stared at him in disgust.

"Sorry love." He said as she walked off.

Mason set down his glass and then stared at me like I grew a second head.

"What do you mean when she'll be coming?" he asked looking around the room.

"I invited her," I said with a shrug.

If there wasn't anyone in the room, I think Mason would have screamed. The expression on his face said it all as his eyes widened.

"Why would you do that? Do your parents know? Are you guys a thing? How was she-"

"Shut up dude; chill dad said I could invite a few guests," I said as if it was nothing.

"Yeah friends!" he said. "Not your dad's rivals daughter!"

"If I'm working with her I think I need to get to know her Mase...she's not that bad," I stated.

"Not bad?" he rhetorically asked. "Man she played you!"

"It was my foolishness for not taking it seriously at first," I mumbled thinking of when Gabriella would stare at me with disgust. Hopefully, I can turn that disgust into pleasure.

"Wow, Adam Clarkson finally coming to his senses," Mason said after a while.

I scoffed and playfully shoved him. I looked over and saw Henry walking away from the dance floor. Claudette seemed happy that she at least got a dance with her eldest brother and I couldn't help but smile.

"What's going on over there?" Mason asked looking at the entrance of the room.

People cleared the path as whispers and murmurs filled the room. The orchestra died down, as they too seemed consumed into who was entering.

After a few minutes, it was silent as the only thing to be heard was cutlery or slight whispers. At the corner of my eye, I could see Lucas standing in between Mason and me.

We leaned in as I kept my gaze on the doors. As if everything happened in slow motion I blinked.

There she was, in a black ball gown that hugged her body showing off her curves in the right places. Her hair was tied into a low bun making her look more mature.

Gasps and more whispers started to spread as she walked. Her head held up high confidently as she kept a poker face.

"The shrew has arrived," Lucas whispered beside me causing him and Mason to snicker.

I rolled my eyes at their immature behavior as I watched Gabriella. She approached Claudette with a warm smile on her face. Claudette had a bright smile on her face as Gabriella approached her.

Claudette was the only Clarkson who didn't know about the conflict between the two families. When Alicia would talk bad about Gabriella, Claudette would think positive things.

"Evening Claudette Clarkson," Gabriella greeted giving her a curt nod. "Congratulations on getting into Julliard, they would be absurd not to accept such beautiful talent."

"Thank you, Miss Smith, I'm glad that you could make it, Claudette said with a bright smile.

"Please call me Gabriella."

My jaw tightened as those words fell from her mouth. The image of her blank expression came to mind as when I called her Gabriella.

The orchestra started to play as people entered the dance floor. It was a slow dance as couples twirled around to the music. I scanned the room for a particular woman in a black dress seeing as I invited her.

I strolled around the crowded room for five minutes until I saw her. She was talking to Mr. Bloyd who had a bright look on his face. Gabriella, on the other hand, seemed rather daunted by the bloke who was talking to her.

"I can guarantee you, Mr. Bloyd, my family's business will not need your service but thank you again for the offer." She said giving the man her best smile.

"Oh well," he said looking down to his shoes. "But if you do change your mind Miss Smith please, don't hesitate to call."

Mr. Bloyd handed Gabriella a business card then walked off. I watched as she twirled the card through her fingers as she watched Mr. Bloyd walk off. Once he was gone, she threw his card in a pot plant nearby.

"I hope you didn't do that to our contract." I joked thinking that we haven't even signed any original papers yet.

Her head snapped up looking at me with a blunt look on her face. It was soon replaced with a blank look as she sipped her drink.

"Can't make any promises Mr. Clarkson." She answered.

I let out a chuckle, and I could feel her stare on me, making me stop immediately and awkwardly coughing. I anxiously licked my lips as she watched me so instead of looking away I did the same.

I don't know if it was her heels or the way she dresses but she always seems tall. Maybe it's in her genes since half of them are male.

We observed each other with curious looks on our faces as we tried to figure each other out. The music in the background only made it more mesmerizing as I stared into her brown eyes.

"Thank you for inviting me Mr. Clarkson," she said tearing her gaze away from me. "I've never been to a Clarkson event before."

"Pleasure is all mine besides Claudette wouldn't stop until I asked you." I lied because I wanted her here.

"She's growing up to be an incredible young woman," Gabriella commented as she turned her head.

Following her gaze, I saw Claudette laughing and having fun with her friends. I smiled at the sight, and my eyes widened as I remembered something.

I turned back to Gabriella and slowly took her glass. She raised a brow at my actions as I set it on the table nearby and took her hand.

"Care to dance Miss Smith?" I asked with a smirk plastered on my face. She titled her head to the side and I took that as a yes as I dragged her to the dance floor.

After a few struggles and protests, we were finally in the middle of the room. A few people lingered around as some watched us with surprised looks on their faces.

I turned to face Gabriella seeing her glaring at me. I firmly place my arm around her waist as I jerked her closer to me. I then took my other hand and intertwined it with hers. She stared at me with an annoyed expression on her face as she placed her other hand on my shoulder.

We started to dance from side to side as I watched her. She seemed to be looking around at the people who were now staring at us.

"Don't let them get to you." I murmured as I brought her closer to me. Gabriella let out a scoff as her eyes met mine.

"I'm observing Mr. Clarkson." She said as her lips twitched up into a smirk.

"May I ask why you declined Mr. Bloyd's proposal?" I piped up. Her eyes met mine as she let out a frustrated sigh.

"Mr. Bloyd is a fearless man whose been in the business for many years but," she said looking over my shoulder. As we danced, I twirled her around so I could look at Mr. Bloyd and just enough he was watching us.

"He offered my brother Cole a similar proposition, and he accepted. Everything was fine at first, but then his prices started to increase."

"That regularly happens, Miss Smith." I pointed out as she rolled her eyes.

"True but Mr. Blody does it with every new client," she said with a serious look on her face. "His staff isn't even committed to their jobs, and Cole received a bunch of complaints."

"So Mr. Clarkson if you want happy guests in your hotel I suggest you stay away from that man," Gabriella said with a grin. "Wouldn't want to waste money now do we?"

"Thank you for the heads up Miss Sm-"

"Adam," my father's voice cut me off as he approached us. We stopped dancing, but our hold on each other didn't.

"I'll take it from here." dad said motioning to Gabriella and I. Just then Gabriella's grip on my hand tightened. At the corner of my eye, I could see her watching me.

I turned to look at her to see an emotionless face, but her eyes told me something else. Like she didn't want me to leave or dance with my father.

I had no choice as my dad was already loosening our hands. I let out a sigh as I dropped my arms and let my dad take over as I walked off.

I turned around and saw my dad talking to her as they danced. Gabriella kept a straight face as dad spoke her to her.

I then felt two arms snake around my waist, and a chin rested on my shoulder. I tilted my head to see Nikita grinning at me.

"There you are." She whispered as she kissed my cheek.

I spun around and pried her hands off me. She raised a brow at me as I gave her a forced smile.

"Let's dance," Nikita said grabbing my hand as pulling me back to the dance floor.

I looked around as Nikita dragged us through the people. I saw my father still dancing with Gabriella and talking.

A smirk tugged at her lips as she said something. Whatever that something was seemed to upset my dad as he glared at her. I couldn't help but shake my head in amusement wanting to know what she said.

"You know I was thinking maybe we could ditch this lame party," Nikita suggested snapping me out my thoughts.

I stared at her appearance and finally came to the conclusion that she was drunk. Her ginger hair was starting to get frizzy, her dress was getting higher, and her mouth was always open.

As she danced in my arms, I couldn't help but scrunch my nose up at the alcohol that reeked off of her.

I didn't give her an answer or the smirk that I always give, but she didn't seem to mind as she just danced. It looked like we were dancing too fast as Nikita bumped into someone.

She spun around to say sorry to the couple, and my jaw immediately tightened. Gabriella wasn't dancing with my father anymore she was dancing with Henry.

"Pardon me, Miss." Henry apologized as Nikita gave him a foolish grin.

"That's okay Mr. Clarkson." She said as she turned back to me.

I watched the couple as Henry faced Gabriella and whispered something. Then the weirdest thing happened, she laughed. Whatever my brother said made Gabriella Smith, a workaholic daughter who scares people and rocks tight jeans laughed.

It was a genuine laugh that made her eyes squint and cheekbones rise. The sound was so alluring and striking that it pained me that I can't even make her smile.

I don't know what I was feeling, but I craved for her. Just one night to be with her will get her off my mind.

I watched as my brother and Gabriella danced. They kept talking and laughing which bothered me. Even though people looked at them as if they were the scariest individuals in the room I couldn't care less.

I invited her. I should be dancing with her.

"Ouch!" Nikita exclaimed tearing my gaze away from the odd couple. I looked down to see that I have stepped on her foot.

"Oh shit sorry," I muttered getting a bit frustrated now.

Nikita scoffed as she just kept on dancing as she put her arms around my neck and me placing mine on her waist.

At the corner of my eye, I could see a familiar curly brunet approach me. Looking up I saw Mason dancing with a girl. He peeked over me and whispered in my ear.

"Beauty and the Beast exit." I raised a brow at his words as I followed his gaze.

Henry and Gabriella were walking out of the room, his hand firmly placed below her back as she smiled at him.

I glared at Mason as he winked at me, motioning to Nikita. I turned to the beautiful stone ginger and smirked.

"What was that about leaving again?" 

__________________________________________

The Clarkson's are a handful at times lol 

Now the chapters are getting longer! 

Like the gif at the start? Coz I dooo

I'm no fashionista so just enjoy her dress...

Comment - Vote - Share

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6M 106K 31
THIS IS ONE OF MY FIRST BOOKS ON WATTPAD. "Get out", he shouted at me "get out now and never come back" I wiped at the tears that were streaming dow...
21K 549 37
Alexander Agnor, the haughty and heartless tyrant with a perfectly sculpted face. As its CEO, he runs the Agnor Industry. In public, he wears the mas...
83.3K 2.6K 143
"It's time to focus on the company and stop doing disasters, as I see no other option, you will marry Nathaniel." Scarlett's father said. "Son I thin...
26 7 19
Harry Cooper serves as the CEO of a prominent American company. Emma Anderson, working diligently as his assistant, inadvertently stumbles upon Harry...