Mine, Bitten

By inkzerospace

For years, Lilith “Lily” McDermott was kept in the dark from the McDermott family secret. Now, her estranged... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Seven

Chapter Forty-Six

84K 3.9K 480
By inkzerospace

Varian

        Kirov bounded from the trees in sheer feral form, his sheen coat of fur glistening beneath the illuminating moon as he all but unleashed his unbridled temperament and wolfish brawn upon the unsuspecting dead, and he wasn't alone.

            Another followed promptly at his flanks, this wolf far formidable in size and vicious in his attack as he severed Rogues with merely the savage vise of his canines.

            Their violent growls bespoke of their untamed nature as they rendered the night, resounding sharply through the trees. They set their ferocious jowls to shredding Rogues one by one, never faltering. Other wolves had come, some smaller than Kirov and his larger ally, but deadly nonetheless as they cast a carnage of mangled bodies.

            Varian suppressed a grin. The dog had proved true to his word.

            He left the wolves to their ruthless slaughter and focused on the elder in his line of sight.

            He would end this now and lunged for Seve, a guttural growl rising from his throat as his eyes glazed over with red.

            Their eyes caught and he was struck midair to the chest by an unseen blow and it sent him reeling. The dirt all but exploded once he made impact, rolling amidst the bloodied and gritty terrain.

            Varian launched to his feet, bracing for another powerful blast. And with his eyes blazing that fiery glow, the dust cleared and produced the ethereal one.

            Pearly glinted pleasantly as she all but drifted elegantly over the undisturbed earth, raising pale, childlike hands as a wicked grin curved her rose colored lips.

            Varian straightened, eyeing the beautiful elder as she stalked closer, those silken skirts rippling about her dainty ankles.

            If a human looked upon her they would see a fragile and delicate thing, but Varian knew otherwise. That angelic face concealed a great capacity of monstrosity veiled over with porcelain beauty.

            He often wondered if that pale, untouchable skin would crack like the porcelain she so resembled.

            He braced his soles against the solid ground beneath him, all the while watching her earnestly as she inched closer, those crystal eyes brightening of the electric current within.

            She splayed her fingers wide as if gathering a fire from the deep recesses of the earth's core, turning her wrists skyward.

            Varian waited for her thunderous impact. He felt the magnitude of her power, rising, stroking his face like the hottest of embers. It hastened over him, tingling at first, growing hotter until it singed.

            His fangs lengthened against the suddenness of a scorching as it intensified with every delicate stroke of her fingers, maneuvered by every subtle twist of those wrists.

            She merely smirked at him as she weaved her fire and the more she spun those fingers, the fiercer it burned, magnifying vastly to a crippling, unforgiving flame. It spread through his veins like hot-white liquid, searing an unimaginable path.

            He hissed beneath its fiery agony and felt his legs give way beneath him.

            Pearly stepped toward him, her little hand suspended between them as a fire reflected in her vacant stare.

            He could taste blood on his tongue beneath the pressure of his fangs as they bore against it, urged by the blistering flames burning him from the inside out.

            He managed a growl as she came to stand over him, extending that hand and saying with almost innocence, "Now you will know what it is to greet the sun."

            And just as she raised her hand to carry out her suffering, a lean frame landed simultaneously at her side, seizing those fragile wrists and snapping them in two.

            A sound so unlike Pearly, so incredibly uncanny to her character, splintered the night. She spun widely to face her opponent, only to fall prey to Talon's merciless hands.

            The moment he broke that delicate neck, the fire in Varian's veins all but extinguished like a flame snuffed.

            Pearly collapsed in a heap of silken skirts, her fingers still bent as if to inflict her unrelenting fire.

            Varian gathered to his feet and surveyed his friend with immeasurable relief.

            Talon smirked, "Don't get all sappy on me, V."

            Varian resisted a grin though still acutely aware that his friend appeared a bit worse for the wear but thriving in his usual, charismatic charm, nonetheless.

            "Finish her off." He hissed, his heated stare leveling on the elder beyond Talon's shoulder.

            "Not a problem." And with that he stepped over the elder, surveying but a fraction of a moment before tearing out her cold, frigid heart.

            Seve exhaled sharply, feeling the sudden void in the air and he spun madly to find Pearly's heart clutched in Talon's iron grip.

            His lethal beauty – gone in a fleeting moment.

            He hissed viciously, feeling his fury doubling over at the sight of her ashen, listless body. "I will spear the lot of you!" he roared, spitting his rage as those eyes burned a violent, blue flame. "I will kill you and your woman!"

            Varian bared his fangs, lunging at the elder with impeccable speed.

            Alessandro intercepted, their bodies colliding with enough force to emit an eruption of dirt and rock.

            Varian rolled and snarled as he jolted to his feet. Alessandro struck hard, swiping those talons across the breadth of his chest. He hissed in pain as blood began to streak in rivulets.

            The wolves leapt and bound in every direction of his peripheral. The moon reflected beautifully off Marguerite's blond head as she swiveled to avoid a set of razor-tipped fangs. Talon fought at her side, slowly regaining stamina as he delivered powerful blows. He caught sight of Jackson aiding Blanch to her feet.

            Seve stood amidst it all, blue eyes pinning Varian where he stood. "This is just the beginning – " he raged, "-their are others planning to rise against the humans, some having already succeeded. And the wolves will submit to us in chains!"

            His hand lashed out, those elongated talons snaring in the fur of one unsuspecting wolf. The beast lamented its pain as the elder all but ripped it asunder, tossing its slack body, cuing the ferocity of every werewolf in vicinity.

            Kirov bowed his head low, his jowls curling with an unsettling growl. The larger wolf fell in at his side and the two of them stalked closer, their canines dripping with disdain.

            Seve chuckled, the sound resonating in the cool, blood-riddled air. His eyes illuminating that blue flame as he braced for an attack.

            And then suddenly, unexpectedly, the sharpened tip of a certain blade erupted from Seve's chest, the fire in his eyes extracting with a gurgled, incredulous gasp as he peered indefinitely at its intrusion.

            Varian froze alongside Alessandro as well as the wolves and all the other undead, every pair of eyes peering startlingly.

            The elder swayed as he stared wide-eyed at that silver tip glinting beneath the moon. Blood trickled a profuse path, dabbing at his feet.

            He jerked his head upward that now felt like a laden weight on his shoulders and glared vehemently at Varian, the blue of his eyes diminishing rapidly of its ancient gleam and with that, toppled to the earth with the hilt of the knife protruding from his back.

            Varian averted his eyes from Seve to the man standing over the elder's body.

            Ward.

            Varian peered almost astounded at the human. Of all those immortal to kill an elder, it was done by a mere human, and one Ward McDermott?

            Ward retreated, appearing quite dumbfounded and incredulous as to what he had just done.

            Everything had gone still, all immortal as well as the surrounding wood, each confounded in their stance as they glanced about questionably.

            Blanch moved to her father's side and knelt to retrieve the dagger from his back and in doing so, delivered a fatal blow that rendered him to ash.

            Better her than another. Varian mused.

            A collective amount of snarls sounded ominously as the wolves then directed all their fury upon the last standing elder.

            Alessandro bared his fangs and crouched, but he didn't stand a chance. The wolves attacked without hesitation, shredding the vampire with all the brutality belonging of the loup-garou.

            The remaining few Rogues had fled to the woods and Varian knew it was only a matter of time before they were hunted and destroyed.

            With that, he approached Ward.

            McDermott peered gravelly at Varian and said, "Either turn me or kill me."

            Varian arched a brow at this, "The latter is far more appealing."

            "Then let it be death –" he said, appearing quite defeated, "-better that than this sickness."

            Varian narrowed his eyes, a sudden thought sparking curiosity. "Why did you kill the elder? He more so condoned your theories."

            Ward met his stare sharply, "For his own purposes – not mine." He sighed heavily, "Besides, I've done a lot of unspeakable things. I thought perhaps a line needed drawn."

            "What of your – science?" he said this lastly with a hiss.

            It hadn't gone unnoticed to Ward and he grimaced, "What good is it now – considering I'm dying because of it?"

            Varian straightened, turning away from the human. "You understand I can do neither."

            Ward stiffened, "Why –"

            Varian turned dark eyes to the man, "It is not my decision and –' he turned away again, "- I have somewhere of far more importance to be." He fell silent at Jackson's approach.

            Jackson cast a glare upon Ward, "Why do you hesitate in killing him?"

            Varian resisted a grin. He had grown to like this human. "I will let Lily decide his fate."

            "I would be happy to oblige her." Talon growled, stepping forward, all traces of humor gone from his face.

            "What of the Rogues?" Marguerite asked, her dark cat-like eyes glinting icily.

            "My pack and I will take care of them."

            Varian turned to Kirov who had shifted back into his human form, which displayed quite a number of injuries but none appearing fatal.

            He peered at the wolf with a newfound loyalty, "I am forever in your debt." He cast dark eyes to the man at Kirov's side. "And yours."

            The man nudged his blond head and extended a hand to Varian, "Ronan Morrissey."

            Varian accepted Morrissey's offered hand, "Varian Petri." And releasing the wolf's hand, he said, "Let us not be enemies but allies."

            Kirov nodded, "I have no enemy here."

            Varian shifted to Talon, "I need you to do something for me."

            "Whatever you need, V." he said with a grin – feeling quite his old self.

            "Varian, we should go." Marguerite urged.

            Ruby had taken Lily to a safe-house, the only one that Varian had knowledge of though he imagined there were countless lairs within the city, but Bucharest was a large region of supernatural and there were many like Ravensport, so the undead preferred to be discreet. He could only hope that his old friend was hospitable to his very pregnant mate.

            He transported there quickly, feeling the others following closely in pursuit. The fight with Seve had carried well into the night and he could faintly feel dawn encroaching, and he was also painstakingly aware of his ravenous hunger.

            The urge to feed was near intolerable to ignore but he could think of nothing more urgent than getting to Lily. He had pushed his constant worry of her to the back of his thoughts but it now fell heavy to the forefront of his mind. He needed to know her wellbeing. He had blocked her thoughts from his to keep her from hearing the sounds of bloodshed, but now as he attempted to reach her, he gained nothing.

            A panic unlike anything he'd ever encountered in all his centuries of living took hold of him. The thought of losing her was near numbing. If she died, he would cease to exist. 

            The moment he materialized his old friend, Andrei Dalakis, was there to greet him at the door. "We really must stop meeting under these circumstances, Petri."

            Varian stilled, a graveness stealing over him. "How is she, Andrei?"

            "She has lost a lot of blood but she fares." He assured.

            Varian reached out and gripped his friend's shoulder, "I am very grateful to you." He felt the others materializing behind him, "Will you bid us shelter against the sun?"

            Andrei nodded, "Of course."

           Varian swept by him and started for the bedroom. The sight that greeted him rendered him frozen. There was a lot of blood, too much for his bearing as he cast wary eyes upon Lily who lay as an ashen shell of herself.

            He crossed immediately to her side, taking hold of her hand and gripping it firmly, unnerved by her stillness. "Lily?" he reached up and stroked damp strands of hair from her face.

            "She sleeps, Varian." Ruby said softly, drawing his attention across the room.

            He maintained a firm, unrelenting grip on Lily's hand and averted dark eyes to the vampire. "And the baby?"

             Ruby emerged, cradling a small bundle, her green eyes illuminated with joy. "You have a daughter."

            Varian stood as she approached, staring in disbelief at the tiny bundle she held so tentatively.

            A daughter? He would have never believed such a thing possible.

            She held the tiny infant out to him and he took her gingerly, nestling her in the palms of his hands. She cooed subtly, squirming ever so lightly, peering with eyes very much akin to her mother's.

            "My daughter." He said with a flourishing smile.

            "I will leave you two for now." Ruby said with a lingering glance at Lily.

            As she made her way for the door, Varian took her arm gently, "Thank you."

            She smiled with a curt nod and then quietly left the room.

            Varian settled beside Lily and held his little bundle close. He studied her severely, noticing her extreme pallor and thinness. She had lost a considerable amount of blood and would need to replenish.

            At a time he would have never conjured such a happening. Centuries of being the Dark One – the Death Dealer of his kind, forever fated to live out eternity alone – and here he was, mated to this beautiful, unbelievably incredible woman who'd given him a child – something deemed impossible among vampires.

            He felt her stirring and met her weary eyes as they fluttered open. She blinked hazily at the ceiling before turning to meet his worried stare.

            Her smile was forced, he noticed, due to her weakened state. "Varian – " her fingers reached and he grasped her hand, squeezing gently.

            "I'm here, my sweet one."

            "The baby?"

            "She is healthy." He assured, peering at his sleeping daughter. "How do you feel?" he asked, a graveness deepening his timbre.

            "Tired and –" she paused, taking a breath. "-hungry."

             "Perhaps I can help with that?"

            Varian shifted his gaze to the door to find Jackson standing before it. Though he knew the human meant no harm to any of them, his arms instinctively tightened about his daughter. "Are you sure?" he asked.

            Jackson studied Lily intensely, "I have wronged her in the past. I wish to right those wrongs."

            Varian nodded and stepped aside, allowing Jackson to settle next to Lily.

            Ruby appeared with Marguerite and stepped in beside Varian, "Can I take her, Varian?"

            He was surprised to find Marguerite with outstretched hands, a softness so unlike her etched beautifully across her face in which it did wonders.

            He hesitated but knew the state Lily was in. She won't be able to stop herself from draining Jackson entirely. He would have to help her and so he gently relinquished his daughter to Marguerite.

            Settling on the opposite side of the bed, Varian tentatively raised Lily's head as Jackson lowered his body close.

            "Lily, you must drink." He urged softly.

            She was listless against his hand, drained of all her strength but she managed to sink her fangs into Jackson's offered throat.

             He gasped against the intrusion of her fangs and winced against the slight pain, but Lily drank gently, mindfully aware that it was her friend.

            When Varian felt that she'd had enough to regain some strength, he coaxed her in releasing Jackson and she did so willingly, surprising him.

            He laid her back against the pillows and she turned soft, glinting eyes to him. He noticed some of the color had returned to her face as she smiled gently, "Are you okay?"

            Varian nodded, "I am now."

            "Where is Talon?" Ruby demanded suddenly, noticing his absence.

            "He's retrieving something for me." Varian affirmed, taking Lily's hand in his.

            "But the sun rises?" Ruby said with a hint of panic.

            "Your concern for me Green Eyes is notably touching." Came a voice riddled with humor.

            Ruby spun around to glare heatedly at Talon as he strolled smugly into the room, "I'm touched." He confessed with a toothy grin, coming to stand at her side.

            She narrowed her green eyes irritably, "You are overbearing, egotistic –"

            "- and irresistible?" he said with a broadening grin.

            "Ah!" she threw her hands up and stalked from the room.

            Talon chuckled, "I think she likes me."

            "I wouldn't hold your breath." Marguerite chimed.

            His grin widened all the more, "I relish a good challenge."

            "What is that?" Lily asked with a hint of alarm, having regained some strength, noticing something squirming beneath his shirt.

            "Oh – " he gasped, wrestling the unseen thing from beneath his shirt and handing it brusquely to Varian, "-your elderly neighbor took a liking to the fur ball."

            Lily nearly squealed with delight at the sight of Charlie as he padded closer, nudging her with his cold nose. She gathered him against her and kissed his furry head. "I have missed you, fluff."

            She peered up and suddenly the light in her eyes dimmed.

            Varian followed her direct gaze to Ward in the doorway.

            Lily extended hands to Marguerite who immediately crossed the room to hand over the baby.

            "I won't hurt you or the baby." Ward assured and Lily noticed that he no longer had a sternness to his voice that he once possessed. He also appeared gaunt, the methodical planes of his face sharper, his cheeks sunken and his peppered hair thinning.

            "What do you want then?" she demanded, studying him distrustfully.

            "My actions have certainly warranted your distrust of me." His cerulean eyes lacked any light, "I have done many unspeakable, hurtful things." He paused, his eyes settling momentarily on the baby in her arms, "I cannot undo what's been done-"

            "Tell her what you want." Varian commanded, eyeing Ward with distaste. "You do not seek her forgiveness."

            Lily could see the muscle in Ward's jaw as it grew taut, "What is it?"

            He drew back to her and with a severity that surprised her, "I ask that you either turn me or kill me."

            She stiffened at his request, her eyes going round as she peered from Ward to Varian. The others had slipped from the room, leaving just the three of them.

            She averted her eyes back to Ward and shook her head, "No, I won't."

            Ward blanched at her response, confounded. "I don't understand –"

            "I am not you." She said matter-of-factly, her blue eyes hardening against tears, "You've spent centuries seeking a phenomenon just beyond your reach. You could've had a family and that itself is far more rewarding than any marvel. But you've lost all that now, including yourself." Her eyes averted to the infant in her arms, nestling her closer, "You denied me my mother." Raising her eyes to Ward, she said with an unwavering grimness, "This is my mother's restitution."

            He paled beneath the dim lighting of the room and took a faltering step back, shaking his peppered head with disbelief, "Please!"

            "If death is what you seek – do it yourself." Varian hissed. "Now I suggest you remove yourself from my sight."

            Ward peered imploringly at Lily but she had turned away from him and with that he could do nothing more but flee.

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52 17 9
Asa was cursed from birth, forced to live eternity alone. She was searching for a way out, a way to rid herself of the loneliness. Her search comes t...
92 1 36
When seventeen-year-old Isabella moves to the small town of Ravenwood, she quickly discovers that there is something strange about the place. Whisper...
1.5K 62 27
For as long as the supernatural has existed, the two species have been fighting each other endlessly. they are the night crawlers and the moon shifte...
8.9K 559 35
"You were born a Vampire Hunter. You were trained one and above all, you got some freaky spell on you that binds you to the Vampire princess. And sti...