Chapter Thirty-Five

Lily

 Lily felt Varian's big body tense in front of her as the man with his piercing, green eyes stared at her all smug-like and arrogant.

            "You want to keep your dog-eyes off my woman," Varian growled sharply, a precarious note of danger tinged in his deep timbre.

            The man chuckled, "Judging by that ominous scowl on her face, she doesn't like being your woman."

            Varian shifted his weight until Lily was obscured; "It's none of your concern."

            A severity chased away any wry humor on the man's face, "This scientist, does he plan to make a pharmaceutical of your blood?"

            The muscle at Varian's jaw twitched, "He's trying to discover the key to immortality."

            "Who are you anyway?" Talon intervened, "You keep popping up unexpectedly so you might as well tell us who you are."

            The wolf smirked, "Lucan Kirov." He curtsied, producing a broadening grin.

            "Of the Kirov bloodline?" Talon asked intriguingly.

            Lucan nodded.

            "What's that mean?" Blanch asked, bringing everyone's attention to where she stood off to the side.

            "It means he's one of the first wolves brought about." Varian growled warily, "He's an elder of his pack."

            Lucan's brow arched curiously, "You've heard of me?"

            "Don't flatter yourself, dog-your bloodline is infamous."

Kirov's green eyes shifted particularly on Lily, "She's in danger, fanger-"

"What do you care?" Talon stepped forward, eyeing the wolf skeptically, "Why do you take such a risk for vampires?"

            Kirov's eyes narrowed shrewdly, "Last I checked, the woman wasn't a vampire just yet."

            Talon sneered, "Still, it doesn't explain your reason for being here. What are you after, mutt?"

            "I told you-" he growled deeply, "-the scientist is a threat to my pack, I'm here to ensure that something is done about it."

            "It's being handled." Varian snapped rigidly.

            Kirov arched a brow as he turned toward Varian, "Are you aware that the scientist is not your only problem at the moment?"

            "We're aware of the hunter."

            "I'm not talking about the hunter."

            "What than?" Talon intervened.

            Kirov's green eyes flared intriguingly on Lily, "Your human gives off a particular scent, one that entices all sort of beast. Not only do you have the scientist as well as whomever he hires to trail your tail to worry about, but you have Rogues in pursuit."

            "Rogues?" this time Lily spoke up, stepping out from behind Varian despite the length of arm intending to keep her at bay.

            Kirov smirked as his eyes swept over her face, "My, they've kept you in the dark, not good considering you're the main artery in all this."