Chapter Forty-Five

Seve

  Seve studied the many bodies teeming the crowded street. Whatever festivity that ensued further complicated his hunt and he was growing increasingly agitated.

            He could easily swipe them dead and he turned that appealing notion over in his head, weighing it heavily with a broadening, sinister grin.

            The combined smells and noise hindered any probability of narrowing in on one particular being.

            Fortunately, he had Pearly.

            He cast piercing blue eyes upon the ethereal one. She studied the crowd with a vacant stare, having gone within herself, tuning to that special ability that she mastered beautifully. "Have you located her?" he demanded above the resonating sound of human revelry.

            Her eyes took on that unworldly, unnatural sheen as she raised slender, bent hands to the air before her. "I feel them moving."

            "And the woman?"

            She was silent a moment, tapping deeper into her gift. "She is with them."

            Seve turned and pinned Ward sharply, "Where else could they run?" he commanded, his patience for the pathetic human wearing thin.

            Ward shifted uneasily beneath that unrelenting, icy stare. "I d-don't know." He stammered and then his eyes rounded with dawning, "The Carpathians!" he exclaimed, "I've tracked Petri there before."

            "He's moving away from the humans." Alessandro stated.

            Seve smirked, revealing a hint of his fangs. "It matters not, in due time humans will come to know of our existence." His eyes scanned the swarm of faces, sharpening in on the undead that slipped among them.

            The others had arrived.

            Petri was outnumbered.

Varian

            The Carpathians were as ever dark and obscured, holding secrets all there own, its facet appearing slanted beneath the radiant moon as it cast beams of silver upon its dense foliage.

            Varian could recall a time when these blessed trees had cradled him in his darkest and weakest of days.

            He could remember that moment he found Lily, dispersed upon the earth like a fallen angel, betrayed by her own flesh and blood. She'd been his for the taking from the very beginning – and his for the keeping.

            As he thought this, his arms tightened about the woman in his arms, holding her firm against his chest as she lay unmoving, shielded by the blanket that cloaked her.

            He was sick of fleeing. The inevitable was at hand. For centuries he had eluded Ward and his damned science, but greater forces were involved with far more wicked plans at play.

            Seve sought to rise against the humans. He believed their child would lead him to the sun and if that were a possibility, it meant death all around.

            The laws they had abided for centuries on end were crumbling vastly. The elders were tired of hiding within the shadows. The wolves were furious and a war was coming and he believed this night would further unleash a chain of events.