Chapter Twenty-Seven

Ward

Ward peered from around the corner and spied the vampire. Damn, he'd forgotten how big he was. He clutched the gun to his chest suddenly reconsidering his plans. He should have guessed the vampire would have no problem splintering his men.

            He had hoped their guns would slow the bloodsucker down; from the looks of it, the bullets no more than scraped him.

            They were supposed to weaken him, damn them, pathetic waste.

            He had relied solely on Lily's blood. He had thought once the vampire smelled her blood, he'd be unable to resist the hunger-vampires were vampires, he had banked on it.

            He needed only one shot, one opportunity, and immortality would be his permanently.

            "I can smell you, Scientist." The vampire growled ominously, "Have you finished hiding behind your pawns?"

            Ward chuckled, "I thought you would have enjoyed the entertainment?"

            A deep laugh greeted his remark. "They weren't game enough; you however may prove a little more interesting. Stop hiding behind your hired pawns and face me."

            His fingers tightened around the gun, the vampire was inching closer. "And bring our countless centuries of chasing to an end? I think not, vampire. You know what I want, just give it up."

            A hiss resonated down the hall. "Bravely spoken from a coward-I plan to kill you, Scientist, ten-times over."

            Grinning, Ward stepped into the hall, bringing him face-to-face with the vampire he had hunted for centuries-the vampire whose blood he thrived from.

            With a firm grip, he raised his gun. "I implore you to try, vampire."

            "You thought garlic would work?" he caught the distinct undertone of sarcasm, but his dark eyes lacked any trace of it.

            Ward shrugged, "Of course not, you would think after centuries of stalking you, I've learned a thing or two-the garlic was merely a tactic to convince my men that no harm would come to them." He raised his gun and leveled it precisely on the vampire's chest. "However, silver seems to have a daunting effect."

Varian

            Varian had little time to react; the second the bullet was fired he couldn't move fast enough to dodge the silver that pierced his chest.

            He released a violent breath as the blow knocked him clear off his feet.

            He growled something nasty as he rolled to his side, pressing a fist against the blood that streamed pass the bullet lodged there.

            His eyes blazed painfully as his body cringed from the spasms shooting through him. The Scientist inched forward, training the gun on him. "You should be feeling the effects now-" Ward chimed triumphantly, "-silver is not exactly your downfall, I'm well informed on the supernatural, however it has an interesting paralysis effect."

            The silver burned a path through his chest, working its way through his entire body, like an electrical stream, seizing his muscles and tendons, forcing them to go numb.

            His senses picked up on rampant footsteps coming from the stairway.

            Damn, reinforcements.