Chapter Forty

Ward 

  Ward stared, transfixed, fascinated at the ravishing creature emerging from the cell door. She was the epitome of everything he'd worked for. All his efforts and hard work, countless years of chasing vampires had finally come together in this euphoric moment.

            He observed the creature before him, marveling at the creation and science coming together all in one. He never thought this day would come and realization tinged with the sheer adrenaline racing through his veins lifted him to a cloud nine.

            Once the board found out about his work, the phenomenon of what he uncovered and would stem from, he was going to be infamous!

            Her eyes betrayed a feral gleam, one that bespoke of the undeniable thirst within. Several feet separated them but he knew if she so much as deemed it, she could easily seize up the air with her newly equipped abilities.

            She had fed, that was obvious from the slight coloring in her face, the sharpened glint to her unworldly eyes, and the manner in which she tilted her head, her senses obviously awhirl.

            He drew her attention, standing firm, undaunted, "Lilith?"

            Her shoulders stiffened at his voice and her eyes leveled chillingly and for a moment he wondered at the danger she presented. She was newly turned which meant her senses were heightened to the utmost extreme and her predatory instincts at the forefront.

            Her eyes hard like crystalline glass, she took a step toward him, watching him as a predator would its prey.

            A slight gurgling drew her gaze and for a moment he'd forgotten Hughes as he lay sprawled on the floor, bathed in perspiration, eyes dulling.

             He raised a hand to her, motioning her, "Come my dear."

            She tore her eyes from the old man and narrowed them intensely upon Ward as he beckoned her and arched a brow, "Dear?" she hissed, "That endearment sounds incredibly foreign coming from you."

            Her words were laced of sheer contempt and she eyed him distastefully. There were no traces of his sweet and easily beguiled Lily. She was a hardened and furious fang-baring vampire. Every emotion imaginable most likely intensified to the brim. Somehow he had to convince her that everything he'd done was all for her benefit. He had to get her out of here before the others came for her. He had to take her far, perhaps back to Romania where there he could proceed with his work, her being the center of it.

            "Lilith, you have to understand, I did this for you." He feigned, "If I hadn't, you would've died."

            A fire drew from somewhere within, its flare reflected in the iris of her eyes.

            His hand still between them, he ushered her forward, "Please, come with me and I'll help you."

            She inclined her head only slightly, giving no indication to the storm within, "Help me?" she smirked, "You seek only to further your work but your work ends here."

            She moved so abruptly that he nearly leapt from his skin. Her hands circled his neck in a threatening vise and he was lifted from the floor as though he weighed no more than a feather, dangling in her grip like a rag doll.

            She raised him high, her mouth pulling wide to expose her fangs as she released a low and deadly hiss, her eyes blazing.

            "Lily!" someone called hoarsely.