Chapter Twenty-Four

Ward

         Ward stepped aside as Lily was carried into the bright, fluorescent room and placed onto the steel surgical table. He of course had no intention of doing any surgical procedures, however, the table had proved sufficient in keeping his supposed 'patients' manageable.

            He would draw some of her blood and while doing so, needed little to no thrashing so the leather strips that dangled on either side would ensure her cooperation.

            As his assistant worked at her bindings he took a moment to study her.

            She was his daughter; the product of him. He should be feeling some kind of way about that.

            As he peered at her, he couldn't help but think of her mother. Lily hadn't known her mother of course; Vivian had died while giving birth to their only child, her last breath pushing forth one last pained retort. Vivian had hated him, but that was of course after what he had done.

            That night was as vivid as if it were yesterday. Vivian's confusion as to why he wouldn't rush her to the hospital as she stood crumpled over with pain, clutching her swollen belly.

            "Ward, please!" she cried, "The baby is coming."
            He moved to her side and gently took her arm in his, ushering her towards the bed. "You'll have the baby here, Viv."

            Doubled with pain, she barely put up a fight as she collapsed onto the bed, her brow bathed perspiration. "Please-" she whined, arching her back in attempt to avoid the fierce coming contraction.

            So absorbed in her pain, she hadn't noticed Ward's movements, the particular object he withdrew from his pocket.

            Ginny, his assistant at the time peered at him knowingly as he moved toward the bed to tenderly soothe his wife's brow, "The doctor is coming, dear."

            He had waited and anticipated for months on end for this moment. His child was at hand and he knew, it was now or never to do what he had planned for so long.

            Taking his wife's arm, aware of how slack it laid in his hand, he tapped the syringe and gently plunged the needle into her flesh.

            She felt the prick and turned her pain-hazed eyes to him. Her reaction was delayed as another contraction seized her, forcing a cry past her lips.

            As the remnants of the syringe emptied into her body word of the doctor's arrival came.

            Ward stepped away and quickly disposed of it as he cast an uneasy gaze upon Vivian.

            It wasn't long before the remnants coursed through her veins. The doctor began his ministrations the moment he arrived but was quick to note that the labor was seemingly turning for the worst. Vivian was going into compulsions as a fever gripped her. She claimed of a fire scorching her insides, burning from the inside out, and her skin taking on a peculiar shade of red, the doctor claiming her heart beat at an irregular, frightening pace.

            When the doctor realized the pregnancy would prove to be more difficult than what he had anticipated, he left the room momentarily to retrieve more means, only than did Vivian turn to him, eyes aglow with pain.

            "What have you done?" she whispered weakly.

            "What I had too." He replied coolly, unaffected by the dying light in her eyes.