Chapter Ten

Lily

           "Happy birthday!" Ruby's voice chimed from the other line.

            Lily giggled, "Thanks, Rube."

            "So, what do you have planned for your birthday, maybe a little cake and a side of Romanian muscle?"

            "Rube!"

            "Ah, come on Lil, don't be so modest. You haven't been with a man since ... What's his face. You're in Bucharest, have a little fun?"

            "It just so happens that 'what's his face' happened to be the only guy I ever loved and roaming Bucharest for a simple play, is not my first priority."

            "Ah, you're no fun." Ruby teased, "So, what's on the agenda for today, aside from the occasional lounging, the gorging on sweet treats, and maybe a little sight-seeing of Bucharest's finest?"

            "You're impossible!" Lily cried laughingly.

            "But you love me!"

            "Hopelessly." She replied gleefully, she fell quiet for a moment, "I was hoping, that maybe, you know."

            "That he might do a fatherly gesture and take you to dinner?"
            "Something like that." Did she sound as somber as she felt about the idea because she knew the thought would never cross his mind?

            "No matter what the end of the day brings, I promise, that when you return, I will cook you my best roast."

            Lily felt her mouth pull into a grin. "You mean the one you burned last Christmas?"

            "Did I not tell you there was a malfunction with the oven and it had nothing to do with my poor culinary skills in the kitchen?"

            Lily smiled, "You promise to add potatoes?"

            "And vegetables."

            "You know you're the best family a lonely girl could ask for."

            "You're not alone, you have me." Ruby said gently.

            "Yes I do." A knock sounded at her door, jarring her from the conversation. "I'll give you a call later?"

            "You better."

            "Love you, Rube."

            "Ditto."

She was still smiling when she crossed the room to open the door. Her smile faded when she saw Ward standing on the other side.

            "Afternoon." His voice, that usual drawl of stone not once swayed in tone. "I have to go into town for a few things."

            Her heart skipped a beat.

            "When I return, you will be ready for our assignment tonight?"

            Her heart sank with disappointment. What did she expect? Okay, maybe dinner, was she asking for too much?

            He eyed her curiously as if sensing her inner letdown. "Something troubling you?"
            She shook her head and offered a smile that didn't reach her eyes. "What time would you like me to be ready?"
            He continued to survey her intensely. "Before sundown."

            She thought that a bit odd but didn't question it, and simply nodded. She closed the door and listened for him to leave. A tiny part of her thought maybe he was going to town to get her something for her birthday? A pretty dress that she'd never wear or some type of name brand shoes that she'd know absolutely nothing about, whatever the gift may be, she would appreciate it nonetheless.

            You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

She thought solemnly.

            Turning away from the door, she eyed her room.

Tonight, they hiked the Carpathians. In the back of her mind, she could hear Louis warning her. Clearly, the boy was letting Romanian tales get to him and she wasn't about to let it do the same.

When sundown came, she was waiting in the lobby for Ward. She had chosen a pair of blue jeans and because the weather was mildly chilly, a black fleece jacket to keep warm.

As she waited, she caught eyes with Louis from across the room. He gave her a look clearly meant to dissuade her and she quickly drew her gaze away.

"Have you been waiting long?" Ward suddenly appeared at her side.

She stood, "Not long."

He gave a curt nod, "The jeeps are outside."

She followed him out to the curve, taking note that he wore all black. Her brows drew together. She had never seen him in black until this night; he had always chosen neutral colors.

She paused along the curve, her eyes drawn to the men who piled into the other jeep. Three men heaved something large and unfathomable into the back of the vehicle.

"What is that?" she asked.

Ward paused at her side to follow the direction of her gaze. "It's nothing."   

He hurried into the jeep and she managed one last glance at the object before the men slammed the trunk down.

"Is their anything I can do to help?" she asked, once seated, "Do you want me to record any events? Take samples of some sort? I feel utterly useless."

As the jeep hummed to a start, Ward slid a glance at her, "You will prove useful."

She didn't question his meaning; instead she settled into the seat and watched the sun slowly set beyond the mountains.

"I have a gift for you."

Lily turned away from the window to peer at Ward with a look of surprise.

His mouth lifted into a half smile. "I half expected that."

"Can you blame me?"

"No, I suppose not." He said and than added, "I cannot give it to you now." When he looked at her, her stomach strangely knotted. "When the time is right, you will receive it."

**********