Chapter Twenty-Eight

Varian

   He needed to feed; it was something that could no longer be denied. The pulse of his hunger throbbed at a precarious pace, demanding to be sedated, and with Lily now in his hands, she wasn't safe until he managed it.

            Because of his particular silver predicament, he was incapable of shifting and was reduced to relying on Talon.

            He sparred his friend a glance and scowled at the smug look on Talon's face, "Are you enjoying all this?" he asked a bit sharply.

            Talon's fingers tightened around the wheel of their BMW and turned onto the next street. "Am I gloating?" he glanced away from the road to peer amusingly over at Varian, his mouth tilting in wry-laced humor. "You should really consider a sidekick, V."

            Varian resisted a grin and shifted in his seat, the silver making his skin almost impossible to inhabit.

            He turned his head to stare longingly at the woman in the back seat. She hadn't moved since they left the warehouse.

            "I work alone." He said more to himself as he averted his eyes from Lily.

            Talon chuckled under his breath and pulled up to the curve before a house.

            Varian tensed against the spasms in his body as he struggled out of the car and stiffened as Talon reached in and lifted Lily from the back seat.

            He felt his fangs lengthen on impulse, the intense urge to rip her from his arms almost intolerable to ignore.

            "Easy, V." Talon teased, smirking lazily as he carried Lily inside.

            The house was another safe-house, meant for purposes such as the present. They had a wolf sniffing their trail and that posed as a possible threat.

            The woman that greeted them at the door produced a broadening smile that put the sun to shame, "Varian? Are my eyes deceiving me? I never imagined you coming to me."

            Varian grinned as he surveyed the beautiful vampire.

            Lovely-could describe her at best.

            Tall and slender in all the right places, she moved with a timeless grace, her skin of that strange yet beautiful alabaster and hair a dark, chocolate brown that splayed her shoulders in a silken fashion. When their eyes met, he was caught in the deep abyss of dark blue.

            "Good evening, Blanch." He said warmly, "I could use your help."

            Blanch smiled gently and stepped aside, motioning them inward. "Come in, please."

            Talon carried Lily to the nearest sofa and set her down.

            Varian stepped forward to settle at her side.

            "Who is the girl?" Blanch asked softly, her brows pulling together in concern.

            "Lily." Varian said softly, his eyes resting firmly on her face.

            "She's bleeding." Blanch said, a sudden unease in her voice.

            Varian detected her shrillness and observed the wound at Lily's neck. He could have split Ward in half for it. The gash along her neck was enough to produce a pool of blood but it wasn't enough to cause severe damage.