Intent [Wattys 2017]

By ccalianese

How can I, Emma Parker, possibly fall into the arms of my best friend, Harry Styles, if I can't even tell him... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Attention all you beautiful people...
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Sequel
Intent Playlist

Chapter 67

5.9K 179 42
By ccalianese

Emma

Harry hasn't said a word to me since we left the hospital.

Gone is my caring boyfriend who is worried about my well being...Alright maybe I'm being a little melodramatic but that's how I feel at the moment.

After the doctor fixed me and placed my arm into a sling, advising me to rest it for the next few days, we traveled back to our hotel in silence and once there he didn't even wish me a good night before he passed out in our bed.

Literally. We got back to the hotel, changed into our pajamas and then after I finished up in the bathroom and walked back into our room all the lights were off and he was fast asleep.

I've experienced many of Harry's moods but I've never been in the position where he's so pissed off that he blatantly avoids talking to me. Normally, and it kills me most of the time, he's the one banging down my door wanting to talk.

This is different.

So now I'm sitting up wide awake in the middle of the night, lonely, with an unbearable longing to talk to someone.

Normally I'd just talk to Harry but he's passed out in bed next to me looking content as can be and besides...he's in a foul mood so waking him up for a little chat is definitely not the best idea.

Plus I'm not ready to hash all this out with him.

You should have seen his face back at the hospital when he told me his was–and I quote–"over this secrecy shit".

It felt like a brick wall came tumbling down on my chest, I could barely breath as I looked over at him. His eyes so direct, brows furrowed so intensely I'm surprised they didn't get stuck there. His gaze and demeanor was incredibly unnerving and the fact that he hasn't really looked at me since then feels just as bad as hearing him say those words.

Why did I let this evening go south like it did?

Harry told me he loved me earlier and I let it turn into this. He's not holding me in his sleep like he normally does, he didn't wish me goodnight or even leave a light on so I could see how to get to my side of the bed.

Shit! I could have told Harry that I hurt my shoulder badly when I was growing up back at the hospital and maybe then we would be on speaking terms.

But, if I started explaining to Harry about my shoulder, even if it was a simple story, he would have kept digging and I'd either flee the scene or buckle under the pressure and tell him even if I didn't want to.

He would have gotten it out of me, it's just one of those inexplicable effects he has on me. At the moment I am unsure as to whether he knows this fact.

But whatever, I've already decided I won't be telling him anyway.

I just need to talk to someone completely different, out of the loop, unbiased.

Like a flash of lightening a sweet blonde boy pops into my head.

He's just what I need.

No funny business, I just want to talk without any expectation or pressure. You know what I mean. It's like when you're on the train and a random person sits nexts to you and strikes up a conversation and it makes you feel so good that someone, who doesn't know you at all, thought you were special enough to talk to. That kind of random attention is so nice and I'd like that now.

Is that so much to ask?

If I spoke to Harry, he would ask me to tell the truth and push until he gets his way. My other option is speaking with Lina, who would just tell me the same thing. Well she'd yell at me causing drama during her proposal weekend and then she'd yell at me to tell Harry.

Dissatisfied with my two options in this country I decide on my plan B.

So I grab my phone and make my way off the bed, careful not to disturb the mattress too much which is proven problematic given one of my arms is stuck in a sling but I manage. I'd probably get snapped at if I woke up the sleeping bear in the next room.

Once safely off and Harry still seems perfectly peaceful, I make my way to the couch and sit by the window. There is something so calming about looking out at this view. A city full of people with their own problems and their own things that make them happy, kind of put things into perspective.

My happiness is in just the next room and he's not even talking to me.

I push those thoughts aside and before I have time to second guess myself I start typing.

To Niall: Hey.

(send)

Soon realizing that he won't know who the hell it's from I start typing again.

To Niall: It's Emma.

To Niall: by the way

I'm an idiot. I should've written something different, something more interesting. No it's fine... No it's definitely stupid, you're basically rambling to a complete stranger.

I haven't used his number since I first met him in the cafe. Of course only now does it occur to me that besides the fact that I just sent the most pathetic texts known to mankind it is also the middle of the night.

Well now I feel really silly. Texting a virtual stranger in the middle of the night, that's not creepy at all.

My phone vibrates.

From Niall: Well well well...

From Niall: I was wondering when I'd hear from you.

His words bring a purely innocent smile to my face as I read them over, envisioning his toothy grin in the process. He doesn't hold a candle to Harry's dimples but Niall's sweet.

Before you go crazy, I'm not attracted to Niall in any way. Despite the current state of my relationship I am more than happy with my 6ft tall, dorky dimpled smile, curly haired boy sleeping in the next room.

There is no inch of me that want's anyone else.

Not. One. Inch.

Sometimes you just need to talk to someone different, completely separate from your everyday life. A temporary blank slate, when you can be anyone you want to be and this is my time to do that. It's like I need to.

To Niall: You seem sure of yourself.

From Niall: I have a good feeling about these things.

From Niall: Don't normally have to wait so long though : )

To Niall: shut up

From Niall: No really, I know you've got a boyfriend but give a lonely boy a chance

To Niall: oh stop, I'm sure you're not lacking for female attention

I don't know why I just said that. It's not like I know him at all. Jesus I'm screwing this all up and I've only written a few words to him.

From Niall: Well you've got me there Emma

To Niall: What are you doing awake so late?

From Niall: Finishing up at work.

To Niall: What do you do?

From Niall: I work at a pub.

From Niall: You should come by when you visit.

To Niall: Sure.

To Niall: But since we're such good friends I expect my drinks to be the house...

To Niall: (would get me there sooner...)

From Niall: Noted : )

To Niall: It's still late though, some hot chick involved?

From Niall: Well I'd be lying if I said yes

From Niall: Tonight just wasn't my night ; )

To Niall: So sorry for your loss there Nialler.

Shit why did I just make that up?

From Niall: Now you calling me names?

To Niall: Yeah get used to it.

I like how easy this is, this clean slate. This little escape talking with someone who doesn't know me, that make any sense?

From Niall: So Emma, why are YOU up at this late hour?

To Niall: well Harry took me ice skating

From Niall: The boyfriend I assume

To Niall: You assume correctly

Well I know for sure that he knows there is nothing romantic about this.

To Niall: Anyway I'm clumsy and this four year old bumped into me and I fell

To Niall: Landed me in the hospital.

From Niall: Wait a four year old?

To Niall: Yes as mortifying as that is.

To Niall: Harry took me to the hospital b/c of a four year old.

From Niall: Emma please don't tell me you let a four year old beat you up.

I quietly laugh at myself.

This is fun.

It's been a long time since I had a carefree conversation with someone. I mean of course I talk with other people but it normally has to do with polo or school or work. There's always something that needs to get done.

To Niall: Like I said before I was bumped...

To Niall: Although I probably would do that.

From Niall: Bloody hell women how clumsy are you?

From Niall: A four year old...

From Niall: Really?

He responds, still in disbelief, I can almost imagine him shaking his head and smile at me. I let out another laugh in response to the texts coming in in rapid succession, imagining his accent in disbelief. After tonight I need a good laugh.

To Niall: You've got no idea.

From Niall: So then...

He sends urging me to continue with my story.

To Niall: Boyfriend took me to the ER

To Niall: Dislocated my shoulder, hurt like hell.

From Niall: I bet

From Niall: You kinda deserved it though

From Niall: You did let a 4 year old boy knock you over.

To Niall: girl...

From Niall: Those pain meds making you all gangsta on me Emma?

To Niall: hahaha no.

To Niall: It was a four year old girl.

From Niall: Shameful!

I instantly burst out laughing then basically slap my face trying to cover my mouth.

To Niall: Your faith in women's strength is astonishing.

From Niall: Ha, which one of us was in the hospital today?

To Niall: You might have a point

To Niall: BUT I remember you weren't the image of grace when we first met

I fire back at him as I remember how he too knocked me over in the middle of a busy cafe the day I watched Harry exercise...woah I get aroused just thinking of Harry's toned muscles gleaming in sweat as he runs on the treadmill. Maybe I should take up exercise after all, if I get to see Harry like that more often then maybe...

From Niall: Details

I chuckle again, being pulled back to reality by Niall's text, but I stop myself, that last thing I want to do is wake up the grumpy bear that's inhabiting our bed at the moment.

From Niall: So why are you still up?

From Niall: Should good pain meds knock you right out?

To Niall: I don't know

To Niall: Just couldn't sleep, boyfriend and I are in a mood.

To Niall: I just wanted to chat with someone random.

From Niall: Emma you certainly know how to make a guy feel special :/

To Niall: You should, I rarely talk to anyone. lol

From Niall: Well thanks, buy why me?

To Niall: You don't know me

Before I have time to realize how bloody dark that sounds he beats me to it.

From Niall: Well that's cryptic.

From Niall: Fight with the boyfriend that bad?

To Niall: Nope, that's just me.

To Niall: Harry just got worked up because I got hurt and we ended up arguing.

To Niall: Can't really blame him for caring can I?

I mean it's true.

Maybe I shouldn't be so affected by the way he acted. I know how protective he is and thinking back on it now to him all that happened was he left me on the ice and I came back with a dislocated shoulder. He doesn't know I saw him chatting with my dad. He doesn't know I found out that I have a half-sister. He doesn't know how my heart starts to ache and bubble up into my throat in the worst way possible every time I think about that man.

Harry doesn't know and I should have been more sensitive.

From Niall: Woah you're way more mature than I am.

From Niall: I'd be burying myself in shame if I let that happen.

To Niall: I was a little preoccupied.

Should I tell him? Maybe it will help letting the little detail, that I saw my dad for the first time tonight, go to a complete stranger.

From Niall: Why?

To Niall: I saw someone from my past

To Niall: Didn't expect to see him ever again really.

I frown at myself as I remember the moment I clapped eyes on him. My worst nightmare with my dream come true. Fuck that's corny.

Niall's next texts keep me from thinking on that further.

From Niall: A psycho ex or something?

To Niall: No, not a ex.

I shouldn't tell him right? Harry should be the first one to know. This isn't fair to him but is it fair to me to keep it bottled up inside? I mean Harry's being a right git at the moment. I might not be perfect but at least Niall won't ask for more and more details.

From Niall: Look you don't have to tell me if you don't want

From Niall: but...I'm guessing you texted me for a reason.

To Niall: I saw my dad.

And there it is, out there in the world. Lingering in the air around me as a little bit of the ache that burdens me falls away.

From Niall: Shit...

To Niall: Yeah

To Niall: My thought exactly.

From Niall: And you didn't tell Harry.

To Niall: No

From Niall: Well I don't want to stick my nose where it doesn't belong...

To Niall: But?

I already know he's gonna advise me to come clean. Yes it's the right thing to do but if you give Harry an inch he'd expect a mile and I'm not ready for that, not nearly ready to admit everything to him.

From Niall: You need to tell him

To Niall: I know...

I slump back into the couch, adjusting to get more comfortable, my shoulder starting to hurt with all the tension I seem to be carrying.

From Niall: Okay well...

From Niall: You wanna hear something funny

Aww he want's to lift my mood. Friends do that for friends right? Maybe talking to Niall is a better thing than just a random conversation I really could use a friend when I visit Ireland.

To Niall: please!!!!!

From Niall: I'm not up late just because I'm working

From Niall: Well I am working but...

To Niall: Some girl rejected you tonight didn't she.

From Niall: How did you know?

To Niall: I'm a girl...

To Niall: A boy doesn't slum around at work late because he wants to.

From Niall: You're right but she didn't just reject me.

From Niall: In fact, she threw her drink at me.

And I can't contain my laughter as I envision his blonde hair all deflated on top of his round Irish head.

To Niall: Nialler you must have done something.

To Niall: We don't just throw drinks at people because it's fun.

To Niall: Well most of the time we have a good reason.

To Niall: So...what did you do?

I like this, he's a good distraction.

From Niall: How come it's always my fault?

To Niall: So you did do something.

From Niall: I might have went about it the wrong way.

To Niall: Oh so you tried out one of those cocky one liners you guys like and she wasn't having it?

From Niall: Stop knowing everything!!!

From Niall: It's terrifying.

To Niall: You forget I go to Oxford.

From Niall: Yeah Yeah smarty pants.

To Niall: Well now look who's the one name calling.

To Niall: : (

To Niall: lol

From Niall: You're funny...

From Niall: Come visit me!

To Niall: I'll probably visit the family during the holidays,

To Niall: Sooooo if you don't make me virtually throw a drink on you,

To Niall: You should be good.

From Niall: You're smarter than you look.

To Niall: I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or not.

From Niall: It's a compliment trust me.

From Niall: Guys like it when you don't take our shit.

To Niall: Well Harry seems to like it.

To Niall: Most of the time...

From Niall: He's a lucky man.

To Niall: Aww Niall you'll find someone.

From Niall: Haha, l that means alot coming from you.

To Niall: Are you pulling my chain?

From Niall: Of course, we only just met.

He has a point. What's our friendship anyway? 15 minutes talking in a crowded cafe and a five minute texting convo...not the foundation of a long lived friendship just yet.

From Niall: My place or yours? ; )

My eyes bulge out at the words that came rapidly on my screen.

That can't be for me.

To Niall: Excuse me?

From Niall: Oh sorry, wrong women.

From Niall: ; )

To Niall: Are you telling me you're arranging a booty call while texting me?

From Niall: Well my mum taught me never to lie...

To Niall: Alright, have an eventful night there Nialler.

From Niall: Night.

From Niall: And don't take so long next time...

To Niall: Right back at you buddy.

And I put my phone down and guilt washes over me.

Did I do the wrong thing? No.

I mean there is absolutely nothing going on between us obviously and there never will be. I only met the lad once for goodness sake.

The reason I wanted to talk to him was because I got a good vibe from him and that doesn't happen very often. And like I said before, I'm not even attracted to him so I see no reason to not be his friend.

And there's nothing wrong with making more friends right? Plus it will only help to have a friend when I get tired of my family over the holidays.

The quiet in the air and the largeness of the room makes me feel more and more alone, even with Harry so close by. I head back to bed but as I watch Harry sleeping so soundly I know I can't just cuddle up to him as if everything is okay.

So I don't.

I grab my pillow and the blanket from the end of the bed and get comfortable on the couch, tears welling up in my eyes the more I just lay out here. Right now I can't stop thinking of how fucked up everything is.

Why can't things be the way they were 24 hours ago?

Harry hovering over me, kissing and licking my neck as I skim his back with my nails, both of us overcome by pleasure.

I want that back.

Maybe I should go wake him up and just start smooching on him? Kiss him until we both forget about how shitty tonight became.

Unfortunately I can't do that because my arm is strapped into a sling, not very practical or very sexy. And besides, Harry's determination to get the truth out of me is way more powerful than any deep and longing kiss I can give him. 

___

A/N: Okay before anyone gets the wrong idea (and I tried to make it clear in the chapter but I just want to be clear) Emma will not be cheating on Harry at all, especially with Niall. So for those of you who were worried (if anyone was) there will be no cheating. I've dealt with similar situations in my life and I wouldn't do that to Harry and Emma (even if they are fictional lol). 

Anyway hope you like Niall's reappearance. There will be more of him in the sequel. 

I've loosely planned the rest of book one. It won't be ending for a while but thought I'd tell you that little detail. 

Okay, Harry's POV next. Not sure when I'll be able to publish this but I hope you like this chapter. 

Have a fantastic week everyone. 

AND HAPPY OCTOBER!!

VOTE + COMMENT I love hearing all your thoughts. 

All the love, C. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 101 20
[A Fanfiction Of A Guy That Looks Perfectly Like Harry Styles] "I totally had the perfect life , I was rich, lived in a happy family and loving pare...
1.3M 38.4K 60
***completed*** NOW PUBLISHED ON AMAZON Harry Styles. The strange one. The freak. The one who was too kind for his own good, trapped in a world where...
196K 5.5K 41
* * * * * * COMPLETED * * * * * * We laid together in silence, Harry running his fingers through my hair, me tracing the ink scattering his chest and...
110 1 13
Emma Samuels moved to Holmes Chapel in Cheshire from Buffalo New York three years ago. She's been dealing with social anxiety her whole life but than...