Several Kinds of Hunger

Par Femme_X

Elise Valdés is determined, successful and cautious. Three combinations that keep her life in track...until s... Plus

A little Note...
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34

Part 1

627 26 0
Par Femme_X

Song List:

Ki:Theory- Enjoy The Silence

It's finally quiet. Everyone has gone home, except for me. I just finished the revision for my boss and I hope to God he doesn't reject it again. As I'm emailing him the project for next week's meeting, the phone rings. "This is Elise Valdés."

"Ms. Valdés, Lisa here. Wanted to let you know that the crew will be coming to your office tomorrow to re-paint it. No need to come in."

The light bulb in my head turns on and I smile. "Oh that's right. Yes, thank you for the reminder."

"Your Welcome Ms. Valdés. Have a great weekend and see you Monday."

"You too Lisa." I hang up. I completely forgot about tomorrow. I'm off tomorrow, like an actual day off. I can't help to feel relieved that my weekend starts right now and there's no time to waste by spending one more second here. I close my eyes and breath, for what seems like the first time for this day. I begin to create a list of things I can do tomorrow. I can go grocery shopping, wash my sheets, clean the oven and the stove, wash the car, maybe change the-

"Ms. Valdés?" A throat clears.

I open my eyes and blink several times until I finally register the figure standing in front of me. "Mr. Prince! I didn't hear you come in, I was just-"

"Quite alright." He interrupts, "I just wanted to know how the revision for the portfolio was coming along?" He bluntly says, keeping an intimating gaze on me.

"Just sent it to you actually. I'm confident that it meets your liking." I say as I turn my back and put some files and manuals on my bookshelf. I hear his footsteps approach my desk and I'm hesitant to face him, so I pretend to organize my shelf to avoid any face to face.

From the corner of my eye, I see that he briefly passes by my desk and stops to look out my window. He adjusts his tie, still keeping his face away from me and I take the opportunity to take him in. Evan Prince, a force to be reckon with. A man with respect, power and admiration that is widely known through the company, as well as the world. "Good to hear. I'll get back to you if I have any other inputs. Good evening Ms. Valdés." He taps my desk, meets my gaze briefly again and walks out of my office.

"You too." My voice comes out in irritation. I shake it off, his un-charmingness will not spoil the bliss that is my three-day weekend. Grabbing my mail correspondence and purse, I sigh and call it a day.

After a miraculously quick drive, I make it to the condo before eight. The sparkling lights from the great city of Los Angeles are no longer visible here, there is only the dim light posts and stars. As I approach the door to home, I hear noises from inside and I smile. Jessica is home, or I hope its her and not an intruder.

"Hey you! I missed you at yoga class." Jessica chirps from the couch.

I put my stuff down and hang my jacket. "Yeah. Long day at work, needed to get a lot done before Monday." I walk by her and head to my room. I pull out a pair of sweats and a long-sleeve and begin to undress.

"I can imagine. Completely starting from scratch again on the portfolio, you know the one you spent weeks burning the midnight oil on. Must have taken you all day." She says from the living room.

"God, mother. How did you know that?" My head peeks out from my room, "Are you keeping tabs on me?"

"Do you even have to ask?" She says seriously and I roll my eyes.

I finish dressing down and walk out to join her on the couch. "Let me guess, a lovely flower by the name of Poppy told you?" I deduce.

"Well, since I didn't see you in class today, I worried a little. I texted your fabulous assistant and she told me that the only position you were stretching today was bending backwards for that boss of yours." She says as she twirls her cup. "Have I told you that I get a weird vibe from him?"

"Almost every time work comes up. But I manage. Anyways, I'm just glad the day is over."

She points over to the kitchen island. "I ordered a buffet of food. We are going to eat and get drunk of that exceptional good Spanish wine tonight." She smiles.

I'm about to protest when she raises her hand, "And don't tell me we can't! Poppy mentioned you had the day off tomorrow. You can wake up late." Putting me in place.

I raise my eyebrow at her. "But you do have to go in tomorrow."

She waves me off and walks to the kitchen, appearing seconds later with the wine bottle and another glass. "Please, I called in already. You think I going to miss having a three-day weekend with you? It's like an eclipse, rare in occasions and not to be missed." She fills my glass and hands it to me. "Drink up, Ms. Valdés."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      I wake up only to find that I've dozed off. I reach for my phone and see that its almost midnight. The dishes are washed and put away. Leftovers are re-packed and stored in the fridge. I gather the recycle and leave it by the front door to throw it out tomorrow. I grab my purse and head to my room, not before I grab the couch blanket to cover Jess up.

"Love you." She mumbles sleepily.

"You too." I say and turn off the lights.

I close the bedroom door behind me and turn on the lights. Setting my bag down on my bed, I head to my bathroom to wash my face. I wash it thoroughly, scrubbing the dirt off and making sure that all the stresses of the day are erased. I head back to the room and grab my purse, dumping all of my mail on my comforter. Sifting through each letter, I sort them. Just as I reach the end, I come in contact with a small rectangular card. What is this? The envelope is a dark, shimmering purple with intricate patterns. I open it and pull out an invitation. No title, no name, no address. Just a faint, delicate image of what appears to be a Venetian mask. I turn to see the back, only to find a ten-digit number.

I keep staring at the card in my hand. I should be confused, but I'm not. I should find it bizarre, but I'm intrigued instead. For the first time in a very long time, something has taken my mind off work. Before I know it, my hand has already pulled my phone and my fingers have just marked the last digit.

One ring. Two Rings. "Good evening, may I have your name please?" A soft female voice comes through.

"Um. Hi, good evening." I say confused. "I'm sorry, I just found this card and it only had a number. I thought it...I actually don't know why I called, I thought it may belong to someone?" I honestly say.

I practically hear her smile through the phone. "You found this card?" she pauses for a moment, "Then it was obviously meant for you. Are you free tomorrow?"

"I, uh. Yes, I am." I say nervously.

"Meet me at Espresso Profeta on Glendon Avenue. Let's say at 11:00?" She says smoothly.

"Uh, okay. Yes, I'll see you then." I automatically agree.

"Oh, and Miss... or Mrs.?" She asks.

"Miss." I correct her.

"Before you go, can I have your name?"

"Elise" I kind of whisper.

"Well Ms. Elise..." her voice lacing with confidence. "I look forward to seeing you tomorrow, have a good night." She politely hangs up.

"Good night to you too" I say back, even though there is no one on the line. I place my phone on the nightstand and get up. I pace around, thinking what the hell just happened. In less than two minutes, I called an anonymous number, spoke with an anonymous person-who didn't even give me a name- only to agree on a coffee meeting. I just acted out spontaneously, something I don't do. I'm always cautious, never taking risks. This is something I would never do in my life, to call a random number. It feels out of depth. Yet, confusion is not the feeling I am picking up. It feels more like...adrenaline?

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

1.5M 70.8K 69
"What do you even need me for?" She asked , speaking into the darkness where she thought he was. "I do not need you." He answered her darkly. Even th...
1K 34 31
This books contains strong language and mature scenes. This book is being slowly rewritten. The story remains the same For Cade, life is just a neve...
1.4M 45.3K 50
⚠ Warning sexual content!!! ⚠ *Book 1 of the "Unexpected Lovestory" Series* She loved her husband more than her last breath. She was blinded, deafene...
507K 10.4K 43
After going through a hard break up, Elise tries to get herself together. Meeting them in a rather weird encounter at a club, Elise catches the eyes...