Why us? (Pokemon fanfic)

By shinymewgirl

Everyday for as long as she can remember Emma has forced herself to face everything alone. She wants to belie... More

Prologue
1- A way back home
2- Stalling
3- Home sweet home
4- This should be good
5- Promise me
6- Good luck with that
7- Getting ready
8- Descoveries
9- Find a weak point
10- Nightmares become real
11- Break down
12- A new companion
13- I will stand my ground
14- such a joyful pain
15- unbalanced battle
16- when will it stop?
17- how much worse could things get?
18- a bad guy?
19- desperate reach for freedom
20- experimentation
21- not a second time
22- The Guardian Angel
23- rainy night camping
24- together at last
25- Fighting back
26- Not a peep
27- Nightmares come true
28- Be proud of me
29- Burning hatred
30- The key to Purity
31- Stalkers, stalkers everywhere
32- The balance of three
33- A series of unfortunate events
34- Family reunion
35- Extended family tree
36- The Legendary Plan
37- One down, two to go
38- An electrifying match up
39- Battle bonds
40- Battle with angels
41- Does anyone understand Shadow anymore?
42- It begins
43- Twisted memories
44- A new Dark Room
45- Whispers in the dark
46- A day off
47- Sweet dreams
48- Bad turns
49- The Testing Continues
50- Old habits
51- The testing ends
52- It will be okay
53- Escape
54- Almost home
55- Conciquences
57- The Ultimate Wepon
58- Trust in me
59- Closing the rift
60- Comatose
Epilogue
Final thoughts on the 'Why?' series

56- Too much damage done

266 23 33
By shinymewgirl

Kathrine strut into my cell without much of a word. I didn't move, I didn't think I could. My muscles were all either numb or screaming in agony at this point. I wasn't sure how long I'd been here but I doubt I could get out again, not only was my exit no doubt cut off but I wasn't even sure I could walk right now, let alone run the distance I'd need to be able to get out.

I didn't even realise the collar around my neck release until after I slumped forward from lack of support. The cuffs around my wrists pulled taunt before they let go, followed by those around my ankles. I couldn't even catch myself if I tried as I collapsed to the ground in a heaving mess of pain, unable to even move enough to shift my right arm out from under me.

Whimpering from the fire running through my unused joints, I squeezed my eyes shut, wanting to wait until Kathrine had left before I even tried to move into a more comfortable position. Tears ran freely from my eyes as I lay on the floor beneath Kathrine, feeling very much like a wounded Pokémon about to be pounced on by something much bigger and much more powerful then myself. Thankfully Kathrine simply stood over me for several seconds before turning on her heel and leaving me alone once more.

Taking in a deep breath, I opened my eyes and tried to lift my body up enough to free my arm from my own weight. It did take several attempts as my free arm gave out for the first few tries but I did manage to wiggle it to freedom. I remained still for a few minutes, catching my breath before I slowly pulled my knees to my chest again, whimpering as they disagreed with the unusual movement. I'd spent what I would guess as a week on my knees and I wasn't even sure there'd stretch out again after this, there was just so much pain.

Tears prickled in my eyes as I curled around my knees, cuddling up to them in effort to preserve the little warmth my body was able to produce. I was starving and the hunger pains were almost unbearable at this point. Mixed with the pain the rest of my body was in, I knew I simply couldn't fight anymore. No one had given me water since Shadow came in, I hadn't even seen anyone else since Shadow gave me water.

My mind was only just starting to drift off to sleep when again the door opened, leaving me groaning internally. The person didn't say a word, they simply crouched by my side, most likely thinking I'd fallen asleep and I wasn't about to correct them. I was lifted up but I still didn't move or react, I didn't want to and I most certainly didn't want to make a fool of myself trying to move in ways my body wouldn't allow. I was scared by my lack of ability to move, scared of what was happening. My world was dark though I'd activates my aura abilities to tell who was around and identify the one carrying me.

Though my thoughts of dread were put to rest as I was set down on a soft material. My head was rested on a pillow, a nice fluffy one too by the feel of it. But the pain in my spine made me curl up again, taking my head off the pillow and onto the mattress. He attempted to pull my legs out but I whimpered and forced my body to remain ridged, afraid of the pain such a movement would cause.

"You'll just cause more damage curling up like that my dear." Shadow warned. "If you wish the pain to leave, you need to straighten up now."

Sighing in defeat, I stretched out my legs a little, only easing the out my sore limbs a little at a time. Again Shadow attempted to help me and although I tensed up on instinct, I let him fix up my posture, keeping myself aware with each and every move he made as despite his attempts to help me, he was still a bad guy who was doing this for his own gain. As soon as Team Rift was done with me I'd been handed right over to The Voice of Darkness and I'd known Shadow long enough to know nothing he did was without purpose. Even helping my sore and stiff body heal.

Shadow pulled the covers over me, giving me time to shift into a more comfortable position while still trying to remain stiffly straight. He didn't waste any time afterwards, leaving without a word which is just fine by me, I was ready to simply sleep forever. My mind was foggy and my body burning with pain in each and every joint.

I wanted my brother. I wanted my boyfriend. I wanted Claire. I wanted my Pokémon. Hell I'd take Night right now. I just wanted someone to cuddle up with to keep my nightmares away and make me feel safe again but I was alone, my mind empty and alone.

Not as much as you may think Emma.

With the my mind misted, I wasn't even sure the voice was real, but I held the feeling it gave me. The warmth and strength, the subtle annoyance the presence gave and the overwhelming sense of security. I held onto it even as my mentality slipped over the edge and I fell deeply asleep for the first time in a week.

~*🌸*~

I don't know how long I slept, it felt like days but for all I knew, it could have been mere hours. The pain I'd previously felt had somewhat numbed in my unconscious state and I was too afraid to move for fear of reigniting the fire that had previously burned through my muscles. I didn't even want to open my eyes. Instead I opened my mind to aura but I was safely alone.

My body told me to sleep but my mind was far too much awake, so I simply lay still without moving a muscle. My senses alerted me when I felt an aura brought within range. I tensed as I tried to identify who it was that was approaching, much like fingerprints, aura was unique to each individual, no two completely matching up. Though this particular aura held no significance to me, most likely a simple grunt. He entered my cell with a food tray in his hands and a Mega-corrupted Scizor by his side. I cringed slightly, not having the strength to defend myself from the deep sense of dread that radiated from the Pokémon.

The food was placed on the table beside my bed, the smell of some sort of pasta made my stomach hurt but I made no attempt to move until long after the grunt had left. Forcing my arms beneath me, I tried to sit up to eat but I realised fairly quickly that I simply wasn't strong enough to lift myself up. My eyes teared up, I honestly just wanted to eat and sleep right now but I couldn't find the strength to sit up.

After a few brief moments to catch my breath, I again attempt to move up right, this time using the wall for support and guidance. This was more success then the first try as I was able to prop myself up in the corner on the bed, taking another brief moment to catch my breath, manage my pain and fix the blankets afterwards. My back, legs and shoulders all ached, protesting against the movement my body had grown unaccustomed to feeling. I winced at the burning of the pain, fighting back a whimper as I forced a brave face and pulled the blanket back over my legs as the warmth helped keep the pain in them to a manageable degree.

My eyes assessed the food I was given in a critical manner. A bowel of pasta mixed with some sort of creamy sauce, meat and herbs. It was a large portion thankfully as I was starving but I'd also been given a reasonable portion of fruit salad the smelt heavily of citrus, a mini can of soft drink and two bottles of water. Further assessment also revealed a small box and note attachment. I inspected them first, hoping for some sort of medicine to quell my pain or assist with sleep. My eyes flicked over the note before attempting to read it properly.

I hope you've learnt your lesson Emma, running off will not be tolerated and I feel you've suffered enough for the severity of your actions. You've set my plans back days, over a week even as I now have to wait for you to recover and reassess previous arrangements I had in waiting. You will be left relatively alone for the next few days with the exception of meals being brought to you. This box contains two pills you are to take and failure to do so with each meal will bring further consequences.

Frowning deeply, I removed the note, tossing aside haphazardly before inspecting the box. It, like the note offer no insight as to what pills were in the box. In the end, I decided to risk the consequences and not take the possibly poisonous pills. Tossing them too aside, I grabbed the pasta, poking at it with my plastic fork a few times before stabbing into several pieces of pasta and meat. Scooping the mix into my mouth, I ate slowly, knowing that since I haven't eaten in days if I ate too fast, I'd just get sick which I really didn't want to deal with right now.

It was hard restricting my eating and drinking speed but I managed to for the duration of the meal. Though I rejected the soft drink, feeling as though the mass of processed sugar would be too hard to keep down and stowed away a bottle of water for later but then came my next great problem.... getting down again. It took what felt like hours to ease myself back into a comfortable position and by the time I did, I was practically in tears.

There was pain from what felt like every muscle in my body and having to move to get up didn't help at all, even though I now had food in me, I was beginning to think it wasn't worth it as I now found it impossible to rid my body of the pain now pulsing though my body. I buried my head into my pillow, allowing myself to cry into the fluffy fabric. Once I started, I couldn't stop, I just balled my eyes out in the most silent manor I could.

~*🌸*~
~Kathrine~

I sighed softly to myself, marking off the third day's since Emma had been released from her restricted position. Since Emma had been returned to her original cell to recover, she had eaten and drank little since her first meal and neglected to take the pain killers I'd given her to assist with her recovery. To put it lightly, I regretted the harshness of Emma's punishment. I'd over estimated her stability due to the recordings while she was with Claire, not taking into account that removing Emma from her guardian would impact her as badly as it did. She was so close to breaking, so close to ruining everything for if Emma's spirit broke, if she submitted herself to the darkness that constantly swarmed around her, the essence of The Voice of Purity would leave her body and she would be useless to me. Due to the many miscalculations and mishappens that had happened during her testing, Emma now struggled with simply holding herself together and any more harsh treatment would break her.

With another soft sigh, I gave an order for Emma to be moved to the infirmary with her Audino to assist with her movement and kept near her until I stated otherwise. I wanted Emma to be ready in a week, though I had my doubts. It was becoming hard to keep the perimeter of my compound secure. A horde of Police surrounded the place due to the fact I hadn't realised Silver and Red knew exactly where I was and Claire's reputation as Gym Leader provided means enough for Kalos Police department to believe I even existed. Silver and Red had managed to meet up with Claire and it didn't take them long to join the fight, battling relentlessly to get through my army of grunts. It was really becoming quite bothersome. Some part of me wished to simply get rid of them but Emma would find out too easily if I did. Her bond with them was far too strong for me to kill any of them and get away with Emma still able to preform to the status was required from her.

I turned my back to the monitor, instead I sat at my desk, staring absently at the list of folders over the most prominent of my three computer screens. All the data gathered on Emma over the past close to two month neatly arranged in numerical order of the date completed, or in some case, the date scrapped as there was more then a dozen tests I'd scrapped for Emma's benefit.

I opened one I'd set aside, reading over the saved graphs one final time before sending them through to my underlings in charge of the preparation of the ancient machine that will be used in just a few days. After doing a final check up of the syrum and assuring it would have safe transport I glanced at my right monitor, typing in the security number for the camera in the infirmary. I frowned slightly as I did, the Audino had attached and IV fluid tube to Emma's wrist to supply her with fluids and nutrients - I'd expected that as I had no doubt Emma was dehydrated at this point. Emma was laying on her side, her back to the camera while the Audino hurried around the room. She seemed to be paying particular attention to Emma's knees and ankles. I'd have to await the Audino's report on her condition but I was beginning to believe there was more damage to her knees then I thought.

After a few more minutes, Audino pulled a blanket over Emma and after a minute or two of stroking her arm, she went over to the laptop stationed in the corner. Emma wasn't able to access this due to the band around her wrist forcing the device to shut down if she got to close and outside communication from this laptop had been put under heavy security. I was actually glad I'd come across this Audino and it had been one of the few survivors of the experimental Mega Evolution out of hundreds like it. This particular one had come from a scholar who'd taught her and her brother to write in English, meaning that she was able to file reports and clearly give Emma's status at any time. So, even though I'd failed to be able to find a way to force Audino to Mega Evolve, this one was perfectly suited for her purpose.

My third computer beeped, alerting me to the message, most likely from the Audino. Opening it revealed it to be true. My eyes scanned the E-mail, my frown deepening with each word.

• Nerve damage to the knees, shoulder and ankles.
   - Forced unnatural posture causing stress in muscles and joints. 
   - Possibly permanent damage to the knees, other areas will heal given time.

• Burning sensation over most of upper and lower body.
   - Possible spinal injury
   - Possible stress in spine
   - Possibly caused from damaged nerves

Broken ribs.
   - Previously broken rib cage is still recovering the more major of injuries
   - Little to no impact on health, frail to touch and must be touched gently and cautiously only
   - Further impact could result in internal bleeding and death

Emma is concerned about friends and family and is unsure about their safety. She is unwilling to move due to pain when doing so and is having trouble sleeping due to pain and stress in muscles. Her body lacks in vital nutrients meaning she will not be able to properly recover to the quickest and most efficient pace. She is also very much dehydrated but I have provided her with fluid through IV. I am not capable with fixing damaged nerves through Heal Pulse however they do have the capability of healing through time, something I have a feeling will not be provided to Emma, instead she must be kept resting until absolutely necessary she stand or move. I will continue treatment on her ribs and they should be healed within a few days.

As I have told you numerous times and as I'm forced to tell you again, Emma lacks in affection shown towards her. Her state of mind is harshly impacted by this as she is constantly alone in an environment she feels unsafe in. As she no longer has access to Silver or Red, I would suggest that I be kept near her as she has admitted to me she feels more secure when around me.

I turned away from the monitor. The Audino was not a perfect doctor, but she was not expected to be. Already it had surpassed my expectations with Emma's treatment and was serving its purpose well. So, I found myself deciding not to punish it for lack of ability to fix damaged nerves. I was more worried about the possibly permanent damage to her knees. Shadow no doubt would not be happy about that as he had warned me that such damage could be done but I hadn't listened, to furious about the fact Emma had admitted she felt Claire was more of a mother to her then I was despite the fact that biological, Emma was my child.

Another sigh passed as I stood up, pulling a book off a high shelf in my study before returning to my chair. The album contained both photos of my time with Silver and Emma, 7 years of memories. In a way I felt bad for Anne, she'd never been exposed to the same treatment as her half-siblings. She wasn't needed, an accident and a mistake I'd pushed aside in favour of my work. I'd known for years before any of my three children were even born I'd one day carry The Voice of Purity. Silver obviously couldn't be, The Voice of Purity would always be female. I didn't think Emma was as she'd shown no signs of being so in her younger years but after I left, I'd found I was wrong about my youngest child at the time and since I'd willingly handed custody over to Cyrus, I knew I'd have to wait. I left her alone and continued my preparations here in Kalos only to find out years later Cyrus no longer had Emma in his care. I'd only recently found out it was because he'd abused her was why.

I let myself linger on the last photo of the album, a family one... Well, at the time it was a family once upon a time. The only members of the photo now who still thought of each other that way were Emma and Silver. Cyrus and I side by side with Emma and Silver in the front. A huge chocolate cake sat in front of Emma, a just as large and just as goofy smile over her features as she stared wide-eyes at the marvel before her, it was her fifth birthday after all. Silver too was smiling, one arm wrapped around his little sister while his silver eyes seemed to gleam with pride from his sibling. The last happy moment from a happy family. A week later, Silver was back in Johto with Giovanni, I was in Kalos to oversee some preparations and Emma was with Cyrus in Sinnoh - no doubt suffering under his first abuse handed out by his drunken rage.

Again, I read over the Audino's report before sending it off to be filed with the rest. I'd already decided that the Audino would remain with Emma prior to the report as Emma needed to be as stable as possible when it comes time to use her for her intended purpose. Glancing at the clock and noting the late time, I returned my album to its shelf before logging out of each on my computer systems with the push of a button, leaving and locking my office. My quarters were not far from my office, neither was the infirmary but I doubted I was someone Emma wanted too see right now, so I decided to leave her be and simply go to bed.

~*~*~*🌸*~*~*~
Word count: 3502

So I'm not officially on Hiatus buuuuut I thought you guys deserved a chapter. I'm not sure when I'm coming back anymore cause I've been absolutely smashed this term with assessments and school work. I have my HSC trials soon soooo...

In the entire two weeks I've been off I've only written three chapters of 'Why us?' And two half chapters of 'Find my voice' which isn't as much as I would like but I don't even know anymore...(=_\)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

330 50 27
"Once upon a time there was a dragon that only knew one love, a phoenix." She laughs at me again. "The phoenix was kind, full of compassion. She coul...
7.3K 136 13
Pokémon: Betrayed-Chosen+Prime What happens when you come home after saving the Kalos Region? What happens when most of your friends, family, and Pok...
2.7K 164 41
A Silver x Reader Story Sometimes good people do bad things. Who's to say they can't turn things around and make up for things of the past. F...
8.9K 325 24
~(This book is under heavy rework. 07/21 Chapters reworked. Be aware, chapters will not line up with each other during this period.)~ Kalos. A place...