The Art of Synchronization

By -sabinee

Sage Whitehead has danced for as long as she could remember--it's always been a passion for her. And when she... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
Postlude

25

2.8K 154 31
By -sabinee

It was finally the day that we had been waiting for--the Halloween party. It was only noon when I woke up from sleep, and after checking my Snapchat, it was clear that this was a big deal. Chase had already began documenting himself setting up the mansion with the help of his friends. Though Chase was white, he was surrounded by black people so much that if you just heard his voice, you would assume that he was indeed black. I didn't really like the idea of white people attending HBCUs and profiting off of the money we raised as a community, and adopting our slang, lingo, culture and the likewise, but Chase has yet to do anything controversial. I'm sure it was more so him just knowing the heat he would get for even thinking about doing something controversial.

Claire had been awake for an hour when I awoke, and was washing her TWA in the sink of the bathroom. I had only seen her hair a couple of times, and each time it was in its natural state. She had kinkier hair, a lot kinkier than mine. I'm assuming she was at least 4B or 4C, but the way she styled it gave her texture to die for.

"Good morning." I called, wiping my eyes as I entered into the bathroom.

"Try afternoon, but hey." Claire responded with a giggle. Situated on a hanger near the door of the bathroom was her costume. I could only see a glimpse of it, but I was excited to see how it was going to look on her slim thick figure.

"Alisha brought donuts if you want some. They are on the counter."

At the sound of donuts, a smile covered my face as my feet padded against the ground towards the kitchen. Much like Claire had said, there were donuts on the counter. I made a quick reminder to say thank you to Alisha the next time I saw her.

Apparently, Howard went all out on Halloween, so it was only right for me to get my hair done. It was still in its natural state, but thankfully, I had gotten some bundles in the mail just in time for Halloween. Perks of having a roommate who did hair was the fact that you didn't necessarily have to 'book an appointment' to get your hair done. Claire had promised me already that she was going to get my hair slayed and laid in time for the party at around seven o'clock in the evening.

"I heard there were donuts," A voice spoke, shaking me from my thoughts, and I moved out of the way as Carmen stepped forward. She grabbed a paper towel from the rack, and proceeded to stack three donuts on her napkin. I hadn't really heard much from Carmen since the last game, and other than the fact that we didn't have practice, I could only assume that she was out of moves. I hated to admit it but she kind of won.

It was annoying to even think about.

She got her donuts and left, and I found myself somewhat awaiting for her to come back and say something slick but she didn't.

If only things worked this way towards the beginning of the year.

It was three o'clock when Claire finally finished with my hair, and per usual, our dorm room was filled with the presence of Adele, Alisha, and Nia. They were seated on my empty bed, or on the floor, and their costumes were littered around on uniforms. For some reason, they thought our dorm room contained the most space, and saw it fit that we all get ready together, and we all arrive together. I was just hoping I had enough space to beat my face like I wanted too.

"It looks so good." Nia cooed, her hand reaching questioningly towards my new bundles. I nodded my head, giving her permission before she raked her fingers through the semi-tight curls that were embed into my hair. It wasn't the first time I had my hair in this style, but it was my first time using hair from this specific company, so I was curious to see how it held up. On top of their being donuts in the kitchen, Nia had ordered pizza again, and this time it was your normal cheese and pepporoni. I hadn't eaten since I snacked on those two donuts and by now, I was assuming there was maybe four slices of pizza left.

So, I hungrily made my way over to the kitchen.

Alisha was on the floor near the entrance, her long legs stretched out in front of her as she turned her body in what looked like an uncomfortable position. She was ironing her outfit for tonight and her ears were plugged in with her headphones. I didn't have to ask to know she was probably listening to the new Frank Ocean album. It had dropped two days ago, but she alerted us that she was making it her duty to learn every single word on the album in a week. So if she wasn't talking to us, taking endless Snapchat selfies, or scrolling through Instagram--her worst obsession, she was listening to that. I moved past her, not interrupting what was essentially her study session on music before I grabbed my slice of pizza from the kitchen. I sat down on an empty chair in the kitchen as I found myself clicking through many Snapchat stories.

One name appeared, that hadn't appeared in some time: The Colby Towers.

I had told him multiple times that his name was super cocky, and the the part of it didn't necessarily need to be there, but obviously he insisted on keeping it there. I hesistated on whether I should watch his story or not. He had been doing a pretty good job of acting as if I didn't exist. I mean his name never popped up on my Instagram news feed, he refused to watch any of my stories. Yeah, I did him wrong, but how could it be that easy to just erase someone from your memory?

I decided to click on his name anyway, and promised to watch just one little moment before I would quickly slide down and move on to something more important.

All it took was one one second photo to put me in my feelings and immediately a sad pout fell on my face. Here was Colby looking so good, and so single. Fustratedly, I turned my phone off and tossed it on the table before getting up. I knew he was going to be at the party tonight, I just knew it. He could ignore me as much as he wanted on Social Media, but I doubt that he could ignore me that much in person. I didn't know what I was going to say or do when I saw Colby, but I could only hope that his friends weren't around to influence his decisions anymore than they already were.

I glanced at the clock once more on the kitchen counter. It was nearing four now, and if we all wanted to make it to the party 'fashionably late' then we needed to start getting ready now.

Grabbing my necessary tools for my shower, I let out a quick announcement on where the rest of the girls could find me if they needed to ask me something so important during my shower. Closing the bathroom door behind me, I slipped out of my clothes quickly, tossing the dirty ensemble I had on into the small hamper pushed underneath the sink. It was seperated into twos--Claire and I's. The others had a hamper as well, but they kept it in the comfort of their own dorm.

The warm water fell over my body, and the slow sight of mist filled my eyes. The aroma of Coconut Passion body wash by Victoria Secrets emitted itself into the bathroom as well, and for a small second, I felt comfortable. Showers, baths, and the likewise were always comforting, especially for a dancer. I think I've experienced every kind of bath there was. Ice baths, Oatmeal baths, Epsom Salt baths...

It was kind of funny if you think about it.

It was nearing eight o'clock when we were all finally finished. Adele stuck true to her word when she spoke of her Barbie attire, Nia the same when she mentioned her not-so-basic deer costume. She was right--it wasn't basic. It was a skin tight dress that stopped just above her knees. She paired it up with a pair of long strap-y heels, and her face make up was to die for.

Done by moi, of course.

Alisha drifted away from her pant suit idea, and instead gave us Rihanna-esque vibes with a bright yellow top, mesh bottoms, and even decided to throw on a blunt cut wig, with bangs. The only person they were waiting on now, was me. Now I admit, I may be doing too much when it comes to keeping them waiting, but the moment was finally here, and I was way too excited to walk out of this bathroom with my face beat, hair done, and outfit ready.

"Come on Sage, we're going to be late." Nia whined from the other side of the dorm room.

I bit my lip and checked my appearance once more in the mirror before I twisted the door knob and entered the dorm. Skeptically, I glanced at them and watched for any apprehension to appear on their face, but the smiles that appeared instead allowed me to take a deep breath.

"Girl, you look way too good." Nia praised as she walked towards me, fluffing my hair with her hands. I didn't want to blow my head up anymore than it already was, but this Halloween outfit was the best I've ever put together. The tan body suit, with black accent giving it somewhat of a strap-y effect looked good on my slim body. The Victorian style choker I had on gave me an edge, not to mention the knee high boots I had on to match the outfit as well. On top of that, I found a beautiful thrifted lounge robe to throw on top, and the few curlers still left in my hair gave me the true 'I woke up like this' vibe.

A hundred solo pictures later, and like, ten thousand group photos afterwards, we finally were on our way to the Halloween party.

We ordered an Uber because unfortunately, Martina wasn't going, and none of us had a car. Besides, we were planning on getting tipsy, so ordering an Uber seemed like the best idea. When we arrived to the beautiful mansion, we could hear the sound of music from the outside. Fortunately for Chase, his humble abode was secluded from the rest of the rich neighborhood it was placed in, so I doubt that any of his neighbors would go as far as to call the cops on the party.

The sounds of Anderson .Paak played through the speakers with such great bass, I could literally feel the music inside of me. I linked arms with Adele who was standing next to me as we pushed opened the exageratedly tall door that led into the mansion. The house was decorated nicely--there was a fog machine going, and little ghostly figures danced in the air. There were white drapes draped around almost ever single part of the house, and bright red lights danced along the sides of the stair cases.

Chase was standing near the top of the steps when we entered, and at the sight of us he waved us over.

"Hey! There's food and drinks on the top floor, games on the middle level, and the real partying is on the bottom floor." Chase called. He was trying to say more, but some girl in a skimpy nurse costume pulled his arm leading him somewhere else.

I turned and faced the girls.

"Where to now?"

We ended up on the top floor first, grabbing shots of Vodka and Kool-Aid in these literal shot containers that resembled the ones at doctor's offices, but bigger.

Adele grabbed like six of them, before she left us to go find Leo.

Claire and Alisha were going to go through the maze in one of the rooms on the middle floor, and that left Nia and I to going to the bottom level. The bottom level on the house was basically a basement. The dimly lit lights and the heavy bass definitely gave me a movie vibe. I don't know, this whole mansion looked like it belonged in a movie.

This party obviously wasn't just for Howard students, for it seemed like Chase had invited a lot of his white friends, who danced somewhat off beat with their bottles of liquor in their hands. Seated on the couch, taking in the whole scene, but not really appearing boring was Colby. Nia nudged me, and I glanced her attempting to appear oblivious even though I knew what she was urging me to do.

"Look, go say hi to Colby." She had to speak loudly over the music, but even if I couldn't hear her, I could probably have guessed the gist of what she said.

I shook my head.

"I don't want to leave you alone." I responded.

Nia waved it off. "I'll be fine. I'm trying to find me a boy toy girl. You go get your man." Before I could actually respond, Nia took off in the opposite direction. I was hoping she wouldn't make me do this--at least not so early into the party. Grabbing an unopened can from the cooler next to me, I took a quick swig of the Corona before taking a deep breath.

I walked past him at first, acting as if I was heading towards the small little photobooth near the back of the basement.

I could feel his eyes on me without turning around, and I was glad that he still had that effect on me. I would be pretty disappointed if it wasn't there, for that meant that I didn't adore him like I used to. Now, the only problem was finding out if he still hated me. After spending a minute actually browsing through the many back grounds for the photos, I decided to save that until towards the end of the night when the rest of the crew was here so we could each post a photo--much like Kylie Jenner does at every single function.

"Leave it to you to do the most." Colby's voice rang through my ears, and even over the loud music it got to me. I'm sure there was some scientifical or psychological term for it, but right now it wasn't coming to my mind. Right now, all I was thinking about was how good Colby looked in that fitted white tuxedo with a fake red rose pinned to his pocket. I let out the breath that I had unknowingly been holding before mentally shaking my head. This wasn't my first time meeting Colby--why was I acting like I didn't know how to talk to him?

"And who are you suppose to be?" I questioned.

"Bond, James Bond." Colby responded before he cockily dusted off imaginary dust from his shoulder. I shook my head, laughing before turning my head. "And you? Let me guess, a mistress?" Colby questioned. It sounded better than having to go into the whole origin of my whole 'I woke up like this' persona, so I nodded my head, allowing him to go with that idea.

"You wear it well."

I didn't know if I should sit down next to him--just because we were talking did not mean that he still wasn't so much disappointed in me. I could see it in his eyes when he spoke. I knew he was trying to be friendly, or at least curve the awkwardness we had between each other, especially since we were going to be in this mansion together. Despite how big it is, we were bound to bump into each other one or two--maybe even more times tonight. But, instead of sitting down, I found myself kind of slightly leaning my body against the edge of the chair, my back against the wall.

It was an awkward silence that followed--well, you know, other than the sound of the heavy music. I decided against sitting down here any longer I found myself abruptly standing up. If Colby turned in my direction, I didn't see him. Instead, I made my up the stairs to the top floor to grab another shot of liquor, and maybe some of the chips and guacemole that were organized together to look like Frankenstein. Whoever was in charge of this decoration needed to be paid nicely because they went above and beyond.

I spotted Carmen near the entrance of the mansion, greeting people as if she was the hostess. Her outfit was a lot less than I expected--she was literally in a sequined bra that hid nothing to anyone's imagination, and a pair of semi matching shorts. Her hair was styled in a tight bun on top of her head, and her make up was done light and airy. I wasn't going to lie, she looked nice.

"Sage!" A voice called my name and I turned my head around, glancing to see Renel walking towards me. Joined at his hip was Vance, and their matching uniforms were almost hilarious to look at. Only certain people would understand their costumes, and being the cartoon fanatic that I was, I recognized immediately.

"Really? Arnold and Gerald?" I questioned, a smile hinting on my lips.

"How'd you guess?" Renel questioned, popping the collar of his costume. "If it wasn't the hair, it was definitely the number thirty-three sweater that your friend here has on." I spoke, nodding in the direction towards Vance. He had just gotten here, a long with Renel, and they were scoping the place out.

"Have you seen Colby?" Renel questioned, and turned his head slightly as he watched Vance separate himself from the two of us for a quick second to scan around the array of food. I scanned his face, trying to see if he was being serious, or just trying to be nosy. I know that he knew about what happened with Colby and I, and I was glad that he wasn't throwing accusations and the likewise.

"I think the real question is, is she still cheating on him," Vance spoke, harshness lacing his tone. I sighed. I knew this was coming, but I expected it more so from Leo than Vance.

Renel sent Vance a look.

"Come on dude, don't do that." Renel spoke to Vance and Vance shrugged.

He walked away moments later leaving Renel and I alone. Renel shook his head. "I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong with him." Renel spoke.

I knew--Carmen's bitchiness could rub off on anyone.

"He's downstairs if you're looking for him. I'm going to go look at the different activities." I replied, before turning away from him and making my way from the top floor, and down to the main level. I wasn't one to get scared easily, but the main level had an eerie sense to it. The rooms were marked with little clip arts, but no description on what was going on behind them were available. The first one I arrived at was a door, with a picture that resembled a maze. I wasn't planning on actually going into any--it looked kind of sketch to me.

The fog machine on this floor was on full blast, making walking and seeing a lot harder. I'm sure that's the effect that they were going for. The hallways were dimly lit, usually by one lonesome little lamp that was perched on a small little floating box on the wall. My heels clicked against the tile floor, and I glanced at my reflection in the mirror across the wall.

I looked too good, and though the lighting was barely there, it gave off a cute vibe that would go nicely with both my Instagram and Tumblr feed. I made my way down the hall, stopping in front of the wide Victorian style mirror and pulling out my phone. I took the picture first on Snapchat, only to make use of the filter for this Halloween party.

Snapping a couple pictures and scrolling through them, a door to the left of me caught my eye. It wasn't labeled like the others, and instead a strong scent of men cologne, mixed with most likely some kind of fruity Febreeze scent filled my nose. Curiosity got the best of me, and it was probably a dumb move for me to inch towards the door, but I mean, this wasn't a scary movie, and ghosts weren't real.

What's the worst that could be behind this door?

I opened it, and thankfully, the room wasn't empty. It was a bigger room--most likely the master bedroom, and more of Chase's friends were in the room that Howard students. The sound of Blink-152 played from a small stereo. I sent a small smile in the direction of one kid who was looking at me weirdly. He was smoking a cancer stick, and it was honestly disgusting.

I began to turn around, but a familiar voice caught my ears.

It was Carmen's annoying ass high pitched laugh.

Why she was in a room full of drunk white teenagers, confused me. I walked towards the sound, pushing past the weird couple who were drying humping each other to the sound of music in the middle of the pathway. There was a huge walk in closet located adjacent to the bathroom area, but when you got closer, you saw it wasn't much of a closet anymore. It had been changed into somewhat of a seating area. The racks where clothes would've been hanging were gone, and instead replaced by a small TV stand, and a TV. In the middle of the closet area was a coffee table, and bean bag chairs were thrown around without any kind of order.

Seated on two of them, were Vance and Carmen.

Vance--who had been sober about fifteen minutes ago when I first saw him, was clearly inebriated now. And on top of that, the white substance that was lined on top of the table proved that they were probably not in their right mind either.

Turning around quickly before the two of them saw me, I dashed out of the room, closing the door shut behind me.

I needed to find Colby now.

I made my way out of the main floor before going down the stairs. I highly doubted that Colby was still sitting there, but I would much rather check, than completely waste my time. Chase was standing on one of the chairs when I got down there, a bottle of Hennessy in his hands as he rapped enthusiastically to the sound of Big Sean. The basement was crowded now--a lot more people had arrived since I came.

What time was it anyway?

I picked my phone from my pocket, and looked and saw that it was nearing midnight. It was a Saturday, and I knew that Colby liked going to the gym early Sunday mornings, so he would probably be making his way out anytime soon. And I needed to find him before then. I scrolled through my contacts list as I made my way back up the stairs. Clicking on his name, I listened as it rang for a bit, before his bass heavy voice rang through my ears.

"Colby. We need to talk, like right now."

Colby took a deep breath.

"Look, we can do all that another time, okay? Just enjoy yourself today--"

"No, Colby not about that. This is really important and I need you to meet me near the food as soon as possible. If you can get here now, that's great." My voice was urgent, and I was actually praying that Colby got here quickly. I didn't know much about doing drugs, but I knew mixing anything with alcohol was going to be asking for trouble.

I made my way back upstairs, and along the way I couldn't help but wonder where my friends were. I knew Claire and Alisha were probably enjoying the hell out of the main floor where all the activities were. Leo and Adele probably weren't even in the damn mansion anymore. And Nia? I had no idea where Nia was, and once I told Colby what's up, I needed to find her so I could have someone to party with.

"Wow, look at you Sage." I annoyingly turned my head to face the voice that wasn't Colby. At this moment, I really didn't need outfit compliments. Especially not from Sonny who looked corny as hell in some werewolf outfit. I pulled my robe closer to my body as he looked me up and down. "Yes?" I questioned. I'm positive I told him about the type of relationship we needed to have, so why he was just sitting here staring at me with this love-y dove-y expression on his face confused me, and somewhat pissed me off.

"You look nice. Like really nice." Sonny concluded, scratching the back of his head.

"Is it because I'm half dressed, or because you think I look good in anything?" I question crossing my arms. Sonny licked his lips.

"Maybe both," He spoke cautiously like he knew he was treading on dangerous waters, but was still going to take a chance anyway. I made a face at his statement and shook my head, turning around to see if Colby was anywhere to be found. "Who are you waiting for?" Sonny questioned, taking a step closer to me. "No one, Sonny. You can continue on with your party. I don't need you to baby sit me. I already told you about the boundaries, so why you're sitting here acting brand new confuses me." I kept my eyes on him attempting to let him know that I was serious.

"You brought me all the way up here to introduce me to your side dude?" Colby's annoyed voice caused me to look away from Sonny, and towards Colby who was standing a couple feet behind Sonny. He had an unreadable expression on his face, and I found myself walking away from Sonny, and towards Colby.

"It's not even like that, but you have to see something--"

"Side dude?" Sonny questioned and I exasperately sighed. This was not the time or place to questioning titles, and I'm sure Sonny knew better. He probably was drunk, much like everyone else in this gosh darn mansion and I needed everyone to just chill for a quick second so I could get my damn point across. "That's what you are. You most definitely weren't the main course," Colby responded and I covered his mouth with the palm of my hands. Colby looked down at me, and I tried my hardest to send my thoughts towards him. If he wanted to bicker with Sonny, he could do it after we saved Vance.

"Come on," Colby grabbed a hold of my arm, and let me to a smaller area on the top floor that was less secluded, and less affected by the heavy music.

"What's going on?" He questioned. For the first time since I saw him today, a sense of warmth radiated from him. It was almost like I was speaking to a Colby that hadn't been cheated on and let down by his girlfriend, and it was just what I needed to get the words out of my mouth.

"I saw Vance in this room with Carmen--"

"What the hell is he doing with her?"

Did Colby not know that Vance was seeing Carmen? Whether it be romantically, or on a friendly level, the two were definitely in some kind of cahoot.

"They've been around each other a lot lately. I assumed that you knew. But anyway, they were together and Vance was clearly drunk, and they were very clearly doing cocaine." I revealed. The words sounded like a dramatic lie coming out of my mouth and if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes, I would've assumed this was just another stunt for the party. Like I've said previously, no one ever really did drugs like that in my small town. I mean, the most my friends and I ever really drank, were small sips at New Years parties, and even then we were chastised by the older adults. So to see people sitting around smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol heavily, and doing illegal drugs was somewhat new to me.

"You're joking right?" Colby questioned.

"I wish."

He shook his head.

"I have to get him out of here before he completely fucks up his life. Why is he even with Carmen? Didn't he learn from the last time he almost died with her?" Colby stood up abruptly from his seat, and walked out of the room. I followed suit, picking up the hem of my robe so I wouldn't trip.

Carmen wasn't in the room anymore. Instead, she was leaned over the railing on the top floor, looking down at everyone who was coming in and exiting. Asking Carmen wouldn't help at all--I knew she wouldn't open her mouth about Vance's whereabouts. Especially not around Colby who made it clear that he did not want anything to do with Carmen.

"Let's check in the basement." I called to Colby, but it seemed as if he was already on the same page. I began to make my way behind him, before I heard my phone buzz in my pocket. I pulled it out, and saw two missed calls from Samir.

Shit.

I totally forgot that I had invited him to the party, and now he was probably walking around bored and uninterested looking for me. Part of me wanted to just ignore the calls and find Vance with Colby, but another part of me just wanted to make sure Samir was here and settled. Colby was already a couple steps ahead of me, and as if he could sense that I wasn't behind him anymore, he stopped.

"Are you coming?" He questioned.

"I'm sorry, I invited Samir over and I just want to make--"

"Save it," Colby waved it off as a nonchalant expression fell over his face. I knew he was putting on act, and he was slick hoping I'd come along with him.

"If you want to go be with that Sonny guy you can, you don't have to make up lies for him."

Before I could defend myself, Colby quickened his pace down the stairs and I angrily let out a groan. This definitely wasn't going the way I planned. As I turned around, I clicked on Samir's contact on my phone and waited to here his voice.

"Where the fuck are you? You invite me to this weird ass house and not answer your calls?" Samir's voiced echoed through the phone and I winced at how loud he sounded. I could only imagine how bad my headache was going to be tomorrow morning when I woke up. "Sorry, Samir. I had something to take care of. Where are you?" I listened closely to his directions as he led me to the back porch. He was seated outside by himself, obviously not in the mood to be here at all. I let out a sigh when I reached him, and sat myself down on the empty chair across to him. He didn't look at me when I entered, and though I knew he was mad, he was definitely being a lot more dramatic than I wanted.

"Look I understand why you're mad and I'm sorry, but I'm here now. Can we stop with the attitude?" I questioned. I already was mad that Colby thought I was sneaking away from him to go hang out with Sonny, and I didn't need Samir being mad at me either.

"Is everything okay?" His face fell into one of concern, and I found myself sighing as I leaned back. I didn't know where to start. I was suppose to be happily drunk and merrily throwing myself around the many floors of this mansion. But instead, I was depressed because Colby obviously wasn't on the same page as me, Vance could possibly be dying from an overdose right now, my friends are nowhere to be found, and none of the pictures I posted on Snapchat were going through. So was everything really okay?

Absolutely not.

"I'm not angry at you if that's what you're worried about." Samir spoke softly and I let out an annoyed sighed.

"I'm not worried about that Samir. I honestly just want to go home because this isn't anything like I expected." I spoke. I could be honest with Samir, he wasn't going to judge me, and he would probably tell me straight up if he thought I was exaggerating. "Vance--Colby's friend is doing lines of cocaine while drunk. Colby thinks I'm still seeing Sonny, and it's partially Sonny's fault for even considering starting a conversation with Colby. And I'm kind of tipsy right now, so my emotions are on an edge..." My voice trailed on and Samir leaned forward, resting his chin in the palm of his hands.

"I only see one problem in that equation that is directly effecting you--and that's the fact that you're tipsy. Everything else, is not in your hands. I mean, I'm assuming you already told Colby about Vance, and that's all that you can do. Colby thinking you're still seeing Sonny should not be the reason why you're looking so depressed at a damn party, Sage. Let loose." Samir encouraged and I shot him an incredulous look. I just sat here and told him all my problems and his response was for me to let loose.

"You look like you don't understand." Samir began.

"I don't." I wasn't quite understanding where he was coming from. I was definitely letting loose. In fact, I was as loose as I could be before I walked in on Carmen and Vance attempting to kill themselves.

"Look, Colby is going to handle his own issue and Sonny is the least of your concerns. It's Halloween and you're suppose to be sloppy drunk and dancing with someone in a cheap ass Vampire costume." Samir finished, and I found myself realizing what he meant. I talked about how much fun I was going to have at this party from the jump, and now that I was here, I was spending most of my time worrying about someone else. I sighed. It was probably too late for me to start having fun anyway, and I felt kind of sad that I wasted a perfectly good day.

"It's late. I'll probably be heading home soon." I spoke softly and Samir chuckled. "Late? It a quarter past midnight. You have all the time in the world." Standing up, he offered me a hand and a smile. I could definitely use Samir as my partner tonight. With all the parties he's been to, I'm sure his partying ways and his jovial attitude would get to me. I smiled, placing my hand in his before standing up, and following him to the basement.

Slowly but surely, more people had filled the open space.

The DJ was still playing all the good songs, and now they were playing that one song by that female who actually sounded like a male.

"Yeah they hate but they broke tho--"

"And when it's time to pop they a no show!"

Along the way, I had regained the presence of Nia, and she was more than glad to stay with Samir and I as we danced around the dance floor. In my eyes, Samir was more happy to see Nia, then Nia was happy to see him. Nia was a gorgeous girl, so I wasn't surprised by the sudden infatuation Samir had with her. But, that didn't make me being around the two of them any less fun. In fact, with Nia growing more flirtatious with the more shots of vodka she took, and Samir being the sentimental drunk, mixed with a dash of sloppiness, it was fun to watch them go from bickering at each other (more than likely because one assumed the other was off beat), to grinding on each other as if they knew each other for years.

And I was the drunk in the middle taking Snapchats and Instagram videos that I would probably regret in the morning. This was the type of fun I was missing when I was running around chasing Colby.

This was college.

Maybe it was the alcohol, or the scent of weed drifting from the back of the basement, but for a while, I forgot that I was a dancer, I forgot that I was single and unhappy, I forgot about all of that. I didn't think of the consequences or the terrible headache I'd have in the morning, or how alcohol was terrible for my skin.

Everything was fun and perfect.

And then the police came.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2K 130 18
Brooke Marie Hyland is a complicated girl. What happens when she starts dating a boy that she thinks could be her prince in shining armor? What happe...
157K 4.3K 33
"You stopped dying your hair... I like it better now." Noah said as if trying to change the subject. That was enough for me, I had to say something...
248 1 31
In the bustling halls of Howard University, 19-year-old Alani is navigating her college journey with ambition and determination. But her path takes a...
T O Y A By xchunkli

General Fiction

86.8K 4.6K 28
What happens when Toya and Carter's worlds collide on the HBCU campus of Hilltop University? Will it be the typical college romance that only lasts o...