Adrianna's Dragon

By JerrySkell

Adrianna was the most notorious pickpocket and thief in the Imperial City. Her career ended when she was caug... More

Chapter 1 The River Gate
Chapter 2 Den of Thieves
Chapter 3 Between a rock and a hard place
Chapter 4 Aunt Kaitlyn
Chapter 5 Uncle Mortimer
Chapter 6 Midsummer's Ball
Chapter 7 Across the Wide Ocean
Chapter 8 Egg
Chapter 9 The Peninsula
Chapter 10 Witch
Chapter 11 Camping Out
Chapter 12 Dragon Riders
Chapter 13 Sedition
Chapter 14 Making a Home
Chapter 16 The Lock Up
Chapter 17 The Extraction
Chapter 18 Rescue
Chapter 19 Left Behind
Chapter 20 A Few Adjustments
Chapter 21 The Pond on Pettibone Creek
Chapter 22 Ruby Silver
Chapter 23 Steam
Chapter 24 Casting Spells
Chapter 25 Land of Fire and Ice
Chapter 26 Harvest Festival
Chapter 27 First Snow
Chapter 28 Loki
Chapter 29 First Strike
Chapter 30 Imperial City
Chapter 31 The Feast of Drunkenness
Chapter 32 Flying Cap
Chapter 33 Summer of Hope

Chapter 15 The Plan

944 55 4
By JerrySkell

The next morning Adrianna and Kaitlyn arrived at Sam's home. They were wearing their denim skirts from camping. "Sam, I've already talked to the manager of Pellawani's Lumber and just let him know what you need and it will be delivered."

"You're giving me cart blanch?"

"My sisters said I could trust you. Please start with the windows we couldn't get any of them to work."

"And some of the bedroom doors don't close," Adrianna added.

"I'm truly grateful for the work."

Sam was gone for only a few minutes when Ellie, Aliyah and Tiny arrived to collect Eryka. "Mom said you can help pick blackberries Eryka."

"She lets us eat them too!" Aliyah whispered. With that the girls were off and Jamie started to cry and Kaitlyn held the infant.

"Why did you have us dress like this Kay?"

"I thought we would clean. This place is a mess." They managed well, between infant care, the three girls coming in and out. Eryka needed a scrubbing and a change of clothing because of berry juice stains. They had the main room and kitchen scrubbed. By the end of the day.

"I was supposed to work in the clinic today, but you needed me more."

"We work well together Addie."

"Do you think Sam will notice?"

"Probably not at first, he is a man."

"A blockhead?" Adrianna laughed. "It was fun to be busy. Took my mind off James for a brief moment."

Sam walked into his home at the end of the day. He stopped dead looking confused as he looked about his home. He was speechless as he looked at the two smiling women. "We made you dinner Sam, leave your dirty clothes out tomorrow and we'll do the laundry," Kaitlyn said smiling. Sam just stood at the door mouth agape. "Good night Sam." They left without another word. As they crossed the road Adrianna spoke.

"Do you think he noticed?" They were giggling when they were met by Elodia.

"Ruby scratching like mad, I got this cream and you're going to do some dragon care basics Addie." Kaitlyn helped Elodia with dinner and Adrianna sat on the floor with Ruby gently applying skin cream while the little dragon made a sound somewhere between a moan and a purr.

"Does that feel better Ruby?"

"Chirrup."

"Odie when will Ruby start talking to me?"

"She's just a baby Addie."

"When she was in the egg she spoke quite well."

"My Pip was like that too. They seem to forget everything when they hatch."

"That's odd."

"Not really," Kaitlyn said joining the conversation, "human babies forget everything about their pre-birth life."

"What's there to remember?" Adrianna asked.

"I believe we existed before birth, and lived with heavenly parents," Kaitlyn said softly.

"We believe that too Kaitlyn," Elodia said, "we are born into forgetfulness traveling from a more exalted plane, I read that in a poem once."

"I've never thought about it," Adrianna said, "it does touch my heart when you talk about it."

"Has anyone talked to you about a temple marriage?" Elodia said.

"James and I are already married."

"Yes, until death do you part? In the temple we marry for eternity."

"Were you and Eli married in the temple?"

"All of are, you can too after a year has passed."

"I will talk to James, it does appeal to me... Gosh look how big my little dragon is!"

"They grow fast," Elodia agreed. "I'm pleased you agreed to spend a few days with me too."

"We didn't want to wear out our welcome with Teddi," Adrianna laughed.

The next morning when they entered Sam's home he blushed and softly said, "Thank you, I don't know how to..."

"Sam, it was our pleasure to help, how's the house going?"

"I got the windows working, today I'll finish with the doors and start on the kitchen floor. You have some dry rot. I'll replace and bad wood in the other rooms too."

"You have done exceptional wood work in your home James," Kaitlyn said.

"We really didn't notice it until we scrubbed it," Adrianna added.

"Thank you," Sam repeated before leaving.

"When do you think we can move in?" Adrianna asked.

"Three or four more days," Sam stopped and turned to respond, "I want to check the chimney before you light a fire."

They had just finished dinner at Elodia's home when the other dragon riders arrived. "So you're getting ready to move in to your home?" Susan said.

"About four more days," Adrianna replied.

"We are all going to help you decorate!" Theodora said.

"And shop for furnishing," Maryann added "But the real reason we're here is to party. Happy birthday! Addie." They all started singing and Elodia brought out the cake with eighteen blazing candles. Ellie and Aliyah were first in line for cake.

"Thank you so much," Adrianna said as her eyed teared.

"David, Walter, Jacob (Susan's husband) and Eli (Elodia's husband) have been cranking the churn all day and we have ice cream." Elodia said.

"I've never had ice cream," Adrianna said.

"You can have blackberry and vanilla then," Eli said giving her two scoops.

As all the sisters departed Theodora put her arm around Adrianna, "Tomorrow we begin planning our adventure."

"Kay-Kay's here! Kay-Kay's here," Eryka spun around happily as she opened the door for Adrianna and Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn kissed Eryka and gave her a hug.

"I don't feel right charging you for my work," Sam said slowly looking from Adrianna to Kaitlyn.

"We have a bargain Sam Ewardson, and I'm holding you to it!" Kaitlyn said.

"But..."

"But nothing, Sam, it's been our pleasure. Oh! Can we take the children with us today we're shopping for furnishings with our sisters?"

"Yes. Thank you again."

Later that day the six sisters, three little girls and two infants were seated at the Novi Inn for lunch. "Shopping is exhausting!" Adrianna said.

"It's a good thing the men were willing to watch the babies," Theodora said.

"We caused enough turmoil as it was," Kaitlyn added.

"I loved the material you showed me for the curtains Maryann," Adrianna said.

"Don't forget you are staying with me tonight," Maryann replied.

"When will it all get delivered?" Adrianna asked.

"Day after tomorrow," Kaitlyn replied, "I'm tired just thinking about all the work."

"You are coming over tonight for planning?" Elodia asked. They all nodded. "That's good, Eli has some large scale maps of Dexter and he even found one of the library."

"That will be helpful," Adrianne said. "What about the jail?"

"We couldn't find a thing." Elodia replied.

"I'll just have go inside then," Adrianna said, "just to look around."

********************************

"I needed this break!" Adrianna said as they soaked in the baths of the Capitol Inn.

"We all did Addie, even Sam."

"Do you like Sam, Kay?" Theodora asked. Kaitlyn paused then spoke.

"I do like him, but that's as far as it goes."

"You'd be a good catch for him," Theodora said.

"Teddi, as much fun as it was getting kicked out last time, could we just soak this time?" Adrianna asked.

"It's nice just to relax, no cares, no worries," Susan said.

"I'm not sure I like your plan Addie," Elodia said.

"What part don't you like?"

"You going alone to Dexter."

"It's just to look around, and I'll have Ruby. Besides you'll pick me up two days later."

"I agree with Odie, I'm coming too," Kaitlyn said firmly

"You just want to go skinny dipping again," Adrianna teased.

"We all do!" Maryann laughed.

"I'll just go there alone and look around. I'll try to get a look at the jail and see if I can see James," Adrianna said.

"So, you'll just walk up to the door and ask to see him?" Elodia asked.

"Yea, direct approach, what do you think?"

"What if you get arrested yourself?" Kaitlyn asked.

"They would most likely arrest you too Kay, we were Jim's accomplices," Adrianna laughed.

"We don't even know what he's accused of."

"What good will it do to for both of you to be locked up?" Susan asked.

"None what so ever," Maryann added,

"Locks can't hold me, I'll simply let myself out."

"Addie you'll be searched and your tool taken," Kaitlyn said.

"Does anyone have a better idea?"

"Not yet, give us some time," Elodia said. "OH! We're all coming by in the morning to set up the furniture and hang the curtains."

"We can do some grocery shopping with you too," Theodora added, "You'll need that if you're moving in. Is all the work done?"

"Most of it. I told Sam to take a week off and start on the outside after we move in," Kaitlyn said.

"Eryka going to miss her Kay-Kay," Theodora teased.

"What do you mean Teddi?" Kaitlyn asked.

"She's at my house all the time now, Ellie, Aliyah and her are thick as thieves. She talks about you all the time. She says her Dad likes you too."

"He's said nothing to me," Kaitlyn said smiling shyly.

"What if," Adrianna started, "We both go to the jail and simply ask to see him. Ruby can carry my tool. If they let us great if they arrest us we will deal with it. Once we know where he is we can plan a rescue."

The next morning after breakfast at Maryann's, the sisters walked over to Adrianna and Kaitlyn's home to arrange furniture, hang curtains and clean. Ellie and Aliyah came to and was joined by Eryka. Later they went to the general store to purchase basics and that night Kaitlyn and Adrianna slept in their own home. The next morning they all met again at Elodia's home to finalize the plans.

"I'll will drop both of you off tomorrow not far from the town," Elodia said. "Then every night one of us will be waiting cloaked at the extraction place behind the library."

"Please thank Eli for the leather neck purse, Ruby can carry my tool and a note book and pencil. She can run messages and bring it to me if needed, and cloaked no one will see her."

"Ruby can also defend you, even baby dragons can bite and they can kill with their breath," Theodora said. "My Pip defended me that way."

"I don't think we will be in any danger," Kaitlyn said, "We'll just bring as small bag with a change of clothes and take a room at the inn keeping a low profile."

"If you need us send Ruby Addie, we'll tear the roof off that jail and burn it to the ground if we need to!" Elodia said fiercely.

"Thanks Odie."

Late that afternoon Kaitlyn and Adrianna each carrying a back pack were flown to Dexter, and walked to the inn.   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 44K 18
"She was the girl who longed for the freedom of the dragon, and he was the dragon who longed to be a man." A heroine reclaiming her fate. A dragon wi...
282K 29.5K 53
Desperate to keep her magic hidden, Katerina goes to great lengths to avoid dragons and mages. When she gets cornered by evil mages, her only chance...
5.6K 429 30
"What's a girl to do?" she thought as she fought to control her panic. They looped the thin rope around her neck. "They really are going to hang me!"...
22.7K 1.7K 68
Magic amplifies feelings, feelings amplify magic. Users of magic should be careful that their heads are cool and their hearts are calm when using mag...