Adrianna's Dragon

By JerrySkell

Adrianna was the most notorious pickpocket and thief in the Imperial City. Her career ended when she was caug... More

Chapter 1 The River Gate
Chapter 2 Den of Thieves
Chapter 3 Between a rock and a hard place
Chapter 4 Aunt Kaitlyn
Chapter 5 Uncle Mortimer
Chapter 6 Midsummer's Ball
Chapter 7 Across the Wide Ocean
Chapter 8 Egg
Chapter 9 The Peninsula
Chapter 10 Witch
Chapter 11 Camping Out
Chapter 12 Dragon Riders
Chapter 13 Sedition
Chapter 15 The Plan
Chapter 16 The Lock Up
Chapter 17 The Extraction
Chapter 18 Rescue
Chapter 19 Left Behind
Chapter 20 A Few Adjustments
Chapter 21 The Pond on Pettibone Creek
Chapter 22 Ruby Silver
Chapter 23 Steam
Chapter 24 Casting Spells
Chapter 25 Land of Fire and Ice
Chapter 26 Harvest Festival
Chapter 27 First Snow
Chapter 28 Loki
Chapter 29 First Strike
Chapter 30 Imperial City
Chapter 31 The Feast of Drunkenness
Chapter 32 Flying Cap
Chapter 33 Summer of Hope

Chapter 14 Making a Home

1.1K 69 3
By JerrySkell

"What do you think about the house Addie?" Theodora asked.

"I love it Teddi, Kaitlyn what do you think?"

"It needs a lot of work but it's huge and has real potential."

"We'll take it Teddi."

"Your neighbor, Sam Ewardson is a very skilled carpenter," Elodia said. "He has fallen onto hard times with his wife June's death, but I think you may be able to hire him for most of the work."

"I will interview him tomorrow," Kaitlyn said.

"You can tell him we recommended him," Elodia said softly.

"Now we're of horseback riding!" Maryann said. "We have plenty of horses so do come."

"This is my daughter Ellie," Theodora said.

"And this is my daughter Aliyah," Susan said.

"Good morning ladies," Kaitlyn and Adrianna said smiling.

"Are you dragon riders?" Aliyah asked.

"She is," Kaitlyn said, "I don't have a dragon yet."

"Me neither," Ellie said with a sigh, "and I've been waiting SO LONG." The dragon riders laughed and Theodora hugged her child. They mounted the horses and rode about the village, stopping frequently to talk to other equestrians.

"You ride quite well Kay," Susan observed.

"I had a pony as a child," Kaitlyn said, "I galloped all over my parent's estate. It's been a long time but I love to ride."

"It's my first time!" Adrianna said.

"Wait until Ruby's bigger, then you'll fly!" Elodia said.

Later that day the six women crossed the bay to visit the Shaman's Modiste. "You only have that one dress so we're taking you to our favorite dressmaker. Addie they will measure you for your uniform today. Then we need to visit Coven House, Mother Ruth has a necklace for the both of you." Maryann said talking fast.

"Can we get the short skirts like you wear?" Adrianna asked.

"Of course, it's the latest stile." Maryann replied.

"I realize Addie seldom wears shoes," Kaitlyn observed, "but none of you do either!"

"You should try it Kaitlyn," Adrianna teased.

"We're sisters, all of us," Elodia said.

"Stunningly beautiful sisters!" Theodora added laughing, "So let's flaunt it."

By the time they left the shop Kaitlyn and Adrianna were wearing the short skirts and had purchased two more each. Theodora had arranged to have the dresses delivered to her home along with Kaitlyn's shoes. Adrianna and Kaitlyn had been measured for her uniform and they left in brightly colored short dresses and barefoot. Later that day the six sisters were soaking in the baths in the capitol. "I was never allowed in the Imperial City baths," Adrianna said as she enjoyed the warm water.

"Why not, their open to everyone I thought," Theodora said.

"I was an untouchable, a night soil collector."

"Well you're a dragon rider now," Elodia said.

"We shouldn't tell you both, but we got ourselves kicked out of here twice," Theodora said and the others laughed.

"Whatever for Teddi?"

"I'll show you...CANNONBALL!" Theodora shouted as she stood at the pool side and jumped it. The others followed and after several minutes of horseplay, that included water fights, splashing and jumping, they were politely requested to leave, all of them laughing as they dressed and left. They were in a boisterous mood as they walked six abreast singing on their way to Coven House. They responded to the cat call and whistles by smiling and waving.

"The six of you look beautiful," Mother Ruth said as they entered her office. "I have a necklace for you both, Kaitlyn and Adrianna. Elody will present them and then I have nine eggs I want you to touch Kaitlyn."

"Wear these always," Elodia said as she placed the dragon necklace on each of them. "It links you to the coven and has powers we will explain later. We are sisters. Kaitlyn you have yet to emerge, but you too are a witch.

They returned to Old Novi and Kaitlyn and Adrianne to Teddi's home. The day finally ended and they shared a bed in the guest room. "I'm so worried about James," Adrianna said close to tears.

"Mother Ruth promised she would help recover him."

"You seemed happy today Kay."

"I was Addie. I feel so different here."

"How?"

"I've always been the obedient daughter, the faithful wife, the good citizen. But I've never been simply me."

"I don't understand."

"I felt old, that my life is over and I've never done anything I want. Today I walked barefoot through town with a short dress with friends. I got kicked out of the baths for naughty behavior. I've been skinny dipping with you more than once. And in spite of my worries over James I feel happy."

"To bad none of the eggs responded to you."

"There will be others Addie. Since meeting you my life has really changed."

"We're sisters now, Mother Ruth and Elodia has said so."

"Did you ask about going to the camp site for ours and James's stuff?"

"Yes, Odie said we fly there tomorrow afternoon."

"We should try to sleep, tomorrow will be crazy,"

"Addie! Wake up."

"I'm tired Kay."

"We're making breakfast."

"I forgot, what are we making?"

"You're supposed to gather strawberries, I'll lite the stove and we'll make pancakes." They dresses and came downstairs. Tiny, the huge dog, wanted to go out so Adrianna took the dog with her to gather strawberries. Ellie still in her nightgown followed them out into the yard.

"Can I get some eggs Addie?"

"That would be wonderful."

"Mommy's feeding Mikey and Daddy's still asleep."

"You ready to go in Ellie?" Adrianna asked seeing her carrying a basket of eggs.

Once back in the kitchen Adrianna began slicing the black pudding for frying and Kaitlyn started the pancakes. Adrianna joined her at the stove and started frying the eggs and the black pudding. David (Theodora's husband) assisted Ellie to set the table and then sat together as Ellie blessed the food.

"Healer school starts in September Addie, but you can apprentice with Odie and Maryann as soon as you want."

"I would love that, tomorrow's good?" Theodora nodded.

"Excellent breakfast," David said. "I'll milk the goats again today Teddi, I know how busy you are."

"Davey goes to the school too Addie, you just might have him for a mentor, it's his last semester."

"Doesn't Walter (Maryann's husband) teach there too?"

"Yes he does. And they all work in the clinic in Odie's home. We're midwifes too if you're interested."

"I would love to be a midwife," Kaitlyn said.

After breakfast Kaitlyn and Adrianna payed a visit to Sam Ewardson. They stood at his door and knocked. A little girl opened the door. "I'm Eryka, my Daddy is feeding the twins now."

"Eryka, who's at the door?"

"Two ladies Daddy."

"Mr. Ewardson we would like to talk to you about a job," Kaitlyn said.

"Odie and her sisters recommended you," Adrianna added.

"Come in, you'll see I'm really busy. Just call me Sam." As they entered they saw Sam holding and rocking a screaming baby while trying to feed the other with a bottle.

"My name is Kaitlyn, I'm your new neighbor let me help you." Kaitlyn took the screaming baby in her arms. "I'll change the diaper you feed the other."

"He's Jamie and he cries a whole lot, this is Jenni and she is a lot easier. They keep me busy." Sam said.

"What do you feed them?" Adrianna asked.

"Goat milk, David, one of my neighbors brings it over twice a day. It is pretty hard for me to do much work right now."

"Tell you what Sam, you work for us and we...I will watch the kids."

"Are you going to be our Mama?" Eryka asked hopefully.

"No baby, but I stay with you and help."

"My Momma got hit by lightning."

"I'm sorry," Kaitlyn said. She finished the diaper then took the other bottle and fed the now quiet infant. "Well Sam will you work with us?"

"Yes. Give me you names again."

"I'm Kaitlyn."

"I'm Addie, we're more of Odie's sisters."

"She has a really big family, all of them have been so nice to us since June died. Teddi delivered the twins."

There was another knock on the door and Eryka answered it, "Its Ellie and Aliyah, Daddy can I go play?"

After finishing work on their home Sam returned to his home, and Adrianna and Kaitlyn joined their sisters who flew them on dragon back .They landed quietly at the camp site. Everything was scattered and obviously picked through. The guitar was smashed and all Kaitlyn and Adrianna's jewelry missing. Adrianna was in tears as she gathered James belongings and Kaitlyn stopped to hold her.

"How long did you say you were married?" Susan asked softly.

"Just an hour!"

"Addie, we have ways to check on your James, it's called a 'Seeing' would you like to try it tonight." Adrianna nodded. They carefully loaded all the personal belongs into the saddle bags then returned home, to Theodora's house. That evening the all ate dinner in Theodora's garden. All the dragon riders and their families were there. Tiny, the dog was pulling a wagon with Ellie and Aliyah when Eryka came over alone she was included in the activity. During the dinner they began trading tales of how they had obtained their eggs.

"I stole mine from the library in Dexter." Adrianna said once the others had finished their tales. "I picked the locks of the second story window, then stole the egg and exited through the big brass front doors. They never knew I was there."

"How many eggs do the have there Addie?" Elodia asked.

"Not sure, maybe twenty or more, but most were fake."

"Do you think we could break in with you?"

"I don't see why not. It would be risky."

"We really need to recover those eggs." Elodia said.

"Maybe we could rescue James at the same time," Adrianna added hopefully.

"I want in on that!" Kaitlyn added enthusiastically.

"I understand it's your birthday in a few days?" Theodora said.

"Yes, I'll be eighteen on the twelfth of June."

"We're going to celebrate girl!" Maryann said, "I love to party!"

"We'll walk you home Eryka," Kaitlyn said. "Where's your Daddy?"

"He's sleeping, he was up all night with the twins again."

"Teddi, can I take a plate of left overs for Sam?"

"Help yourself Kay." Kaitlyn filled a plate and Adrianna took Eryka's hand and a bottle of ginger beer and they walked to Sam's home. He was sleeping on the bed with an infant sleeping on either side of him and awoke when Eryka crawled onto the bed.

"We brought you dinner Sam," Kaitlyn said softly.

"I must have fallen asleep, what time is it?"

"It's the twentieth hour, you must have need the sleep badly," Kaitlyn said. "We fed Eryka so eat, we brought you dinner."

"I don't know what to say."

"Try thank you," Kaitlyn laughed, "we'll see you in the morning. I'm watching the kids and you're taking a another look at our house,"

"Thank you, both of you."

They walked across the street to Elodia's home, and the witches all gathered in Elodia's great room. "Mathilda's coming too Addie, you'll love her," Theodora said. They put cushions on the floor in a circle and put a bowl of water in the center. "The men are watching the kids so we can have this 'Seeing'. We aren't real good at it but we have had success in the past." Mathilda arrived and Mother Ruth came also.

"Mother Ruth! You came too!" Adrianna said in a whisper.

"I did indeed." She hugged Adrianna. "Mathilda asked me and you all are my daughters."

After several hugs were exchanged they took their seats in the circle and held hands as Mathilda led them. Adrianna was surprised to see her dragon necklace glow then all the others. The bowl also glowed then she saw James. He was lying on the floor in a dark room. His face was bruised and he had not shaved for days. "James!" she whispered then the image faded.

Kaitlyn held tight to a weeping Adrianna as the others closed circle to give her hugs. "I told you he was OK, Addie," Kaitlyn whispered.

"We have to get him home!"

"Addie, we will bring your James home, that's a promise," Elodia said firmly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

739K 29K 77
Lilly found an egg on a hiking trip. Nothing abnormal on that, right? Except the egg was four times bigger than supposedly the biggest egg in the wor...
359 38 15
Have you ever fallen head over heels in love? Would you be willing to risk everything for that love? Could you commit treason just to love the King? ...
5.6K 429 30
"What's a girl to do?" she thought as she fought to control her panic. They looped the thin rope around her neck. "They really are going to hang me!"...