Dead Attachment

Από poursomepixiedust

When Darlene's mother died because of a tragic car accident she didn't expect that things would change quickl... Περισσότερα

Chapter One : Hello Summer
Chapter Three : Unexpected
Chapter Four : Self-Control
Chapter Five : Not Knowing What's There
Chapter Six : Breaking News
Chapter Seven : What Are The Chances
Chapter Eight : Death
Chapter Nine : Apology
Chapter Ten : The Truth
Chapter Eleven : Explanations
Chapter Twelve : Finally
Chapter Thirteen: Such An Admirer
Chapter Fourteen : Someone Like Him
Chapter Fifteen : What Rumors Say
Chapter Sixteen : Feelings
Chapter Seventeen : Stormy Days
Chapter Eighteen : Surprises

Chapter Two : The Chills

326 21 15
Από poursomepixiedust

- TWO -

The Chills

New York is a world different compared to this town. In New York, all you can see are buildings, people, cars especially taxis, polllution and more buildings. It may not be the most peaceful and quiet place to be but New York is my home and I've naturally accepted its characteristics. Good or bad.

Unlike in this town, everything about it seems to be beautiful. I can get used to spending my summer here. It would be nice to take a break from all the hustle and bustle in the city.

As I stand still by the window, its soft silky curtain caressing my face, I look through it with vacant eyes. The houses, with roofs that differ in color, are adequately spaced from each other giving it a fresh look. In New York, it's cramped and all the buildings are almost one because of the lack of space. I wonder if the buildings will complain if they're alive. 

For 2 months or less, Dad and I are going to stay here in Grandma's house depending on what Dad's job requires. Dad is a dentist. A job that he clearly loves and enjoys. In New York, after school, I'll always drop by and visit him. Most of the children and adults that come visit him have dental problems while some just come for check-ups. Whether Dad has already fixed it or thanks to their respnsible caring, they have good teeth that they're proud to show the world with a beautiful smile.

Since Dad is a dentist, I have to care about my teeth. Since I've been a little girl, Dad would tell me all sorts of things just to get me brush three times a day. That constant reminder became a hobby. Now, I never forget to brush three times a day or more.

I turn and see the big, historical bed. It looks fluffy and soft. On top of it is the luggage that I brought with me. I'm not a heavy packer and I just brought the things that I need to enjoy this summer.

Okay, I say to myself as I now stand by the bed and as I slowly open my lugggage. What do we have here?

Shirts, 3 skinny jeans, underwears, personal needs, a flip-flop, 2 pairs of sneakers, blue towel, handkerchiefs, 5 sundresses, Toffee (my bear) and the book that I'm currently reading.

I grab the pouch where I placed my toothbrush and toothpaste. I head to the bathroom and open its wood, eccentric door. Its just simple and small. The tiles are ocean blue and seems newly scrubbed. There's a bathtub on the right corner and beside it is the sink and the toilet. 

I take a step inside, leaving the door open, when suddenly the same chill I felt earlier flows through my body again. It surprised me and it only took a second to last. I search for an open window but even the window in my room is shut. 

I brush it off and head to the sink. It's quite odd that I haven't seen a single mirror around. Good thing that I brought my tiny mirror with me. I usually use mirrors when I fix my hair. It's my need.

I turn the faucet on with a squeak and water starts to run.

I apply toothpaste on my toothbrush and I start brushing. I try to keep the mysterious chills that run through me out of my mind. I must be having a fever. I place my hand under my chin and on my neck. Odd. I'm not at all hot.

My toothbrush scrubbing my teeth is the only sound I can hear. This silence is utterly new to me. In New York, there seems to be no spot where silence lingers. I think the word silence is even illegal there.

I realize that silence is a beautiful sound but it's lonely. I start to hum the song in the advertisment of the toothpaste that I'm using just to ease the silence. It feels better now.

The water suddenly stops running.

I didn't hear anything squeak so how can the water stop? It must be the pipes. There's got to be a logical explanation for this. I slowly turn the faucet to the right then the water starts running again.

It was turned.

The water stopped running because it was turned by who? I'm the only one here so how can that be? That's quite strange. I shake my head and I keep the water running. I cup a handful of water and I gargle the toothpaste off.

I quickly head out of the bathroom and close the door behind me with a loud click of the lock. The gold doorknob is cold on my bare hands and as I try to open the door again, it is locked. I struggle, with both of my hands on the handle, to open the door but it's no use. I locked it.

I take a deep sigh. I'll just ask Grandma for the key later.

I walk towards the bed and place the toothbrush and the toothpaste in the luggage again. I know that I should start unpacking by now but laziness creeps on me and I can't find the urge to unpack. 

This house is something. It's different. Or my room is different. I wonder why Grandma stopped sleeping here? What could be the reason? It can be anything. Something in me hopes that it's not because of the chills that stopped Grandma from sleeping in here. Could it be . . . Grandpa?

Someone knocks on the door three times. "Darlene?" It's Grandma.

I stride towards the door and as I open it, it reveals Grandma with a big, beautiful, wide smile. "Hello, Grandma." I say with a smile.

"Hi, dear!" She exclaims, making her voice echo throughout the hallway. "How you been?"

"I'm fine, don't worry. The room's lovely, by the way."

Grandma chuckles, showing how pleased she is to hear what I just said. "Now, that is rather flattering. I'm so pleased! I really cleaned your room for quite some time."

"How about Dad's room?"

"Oh, I just did a quick polish in his room. Your father's big enough to take care of himself." She waves her hand in the air as I give a smile.

"Speaking of Dad, where is he?"

"Oh that. Your Dad's out on the porch. Come down with me and we shall chitchat downstairs. There's snacks waiting for you. At least some, I hope. Your Dad is starving."

"Just us three?"

"Well, if you have someone in mind that you want to invite then I'm alright with it." She takes my hand and leads me forward. I close the door behind me and I follow her lead.

Grandma chuckles as we start to walk down the stairs side by side. "I made cookies and lemonade." That's my Grandma. I love lemonade and cookies.

"I missed your cookies and lemonade, Grandma."

She pinches my cheeks. "Well, I'm just hoping your father didn't gobble it all up."

_________________________________________________________________________

"Darlene!" Dad greets me with a hug. 

I noticed that a tiny circular wood table and three chairs are brought outside on the porch with the snacks on top of the table. Fortunately, the cookies which are placed on a plate and the lemonade which is in a glass container, is still there, untouched.

Dad sits down and I sit down beside him. Grandma follows and sits beside me. "Isn't this lovely?" She says.

"I can get used to this." Dad comments. "The view's lovely and everything is so peaceful."

Beyond the town, there's a huge mountain patched with green. The sky is clear blue and the tree beside Grandma's house has birds playing and chirping on its branches. The heat hasn't taken its toll yet and perhaps in the next few days, the degrees will start to heat up.

"Well, I didn't make these things just to stare at. Help yourselves!" Grandma grabs a cookie and pours each one of us the lemonade she made in each of our glasses.

"What have I missed with you two?" Grandma says as she takes a bite.

"Nothing much, really. " Dad says. "After Einslei's funeral, I continued working and treating people's teeth while Darlene continued attending school. Same old routine."

I nod in agreement and sip on my glass of lemonade.

"Darlene dear still visits you after school?" 

"Yes. She always does. Sometimes she even brings snacks for me." 

"Oh..." Grandma places a hand at her chest. "Such a sweetheart."

"She is. She tries everything just to cheer me up. Whatever it takes." Dad gives me a look. A look that I can't clearly understand. Is it of pity? No. Is it of love? Perhaps yes.  Is it of pain? Maybe.

"So, what happened to you, Ma?" Dad asks.

"Oh, nothing much too." Grandma says. "The shop kept me busy all year long so no need to worry about me. I may be old but I'm as strong as you are. I still can handle myself."

"Don't push yourself Grandma. It might not be good for you." Dad worrily says.

"Phew. Me? I can handle it son! Good thing I eat them vegetables."

Grandma leans closer to me. "I used to hate them vegetables when I was young. Couldn't even go to the vegetable section in them markets." She says in a whisper.

"Because of your Mom, I regret it that I didn't eat them. Now, I'm a vegetarian!" Grandma continues.

Mom loves vegetables but she's not a vegetarian entirely. She manages to really balance her diet everyday which is something that I do admire. When I was a child, I thought everything that was green was edible. I acted like a cow and even copied the sound that cows make. I was playing at our lawn and no one was around. To feel like I'm a real cow, I had to eat what cows eat. Grass.

So I leaned in closer to the ground and ate a few strands of lawn grass. Even with its disgusting taste, I ignored it and chewed it as I continued making Moo noises. I swallowed it down and I ended up choking myself. I ran inside the house and found Mom in the kitchen. She asked what happened and with my face all red already she knew instantly that I ate something but she didn't expect to find grass after I finally vomitted.

I didn't tell her that I acted like a cow. She would think that I'm stupid so I told her that I accidentally fell asleep on the lawn and I found myself gasping for air when I woke up because I accidentally ate grass as I was sleeping. No one ever knew except for me.

"What was that?" Dad gets curious.

"Nothing." Grandma and I both say.

"What about you, dear? How's school?" 

"It's fine. I'll be a senior this fall."

"Interesting! What will you take up for college?" Grandma does seem interested.

"I haven't really thought about that." I scratch my head, hoping to find for a temporary answer. What can I say just to answer her question? "But maybe, I'd like to become a dentist too. Just like Dad."

"Oh. Teeth lovers eh?" Grandma laughs. "If that's what you want, then I'll support you just like the support that I gave your father."

I give Dad a quick glance and see him looking at me intently. What's with the stare? I nudge his knee using my knee under the table just so that Grandma won't see.

Dad clears his throat and stands up. He gulps his lemonade down with a single gulp. "Well, I better drop by at the clinic. I better show up to let them know I'm settled."

"Be home before dinner!" Grandma offers.

He gives Grandma and I a peck on the cheek. "I will." 

Dad steps down on the porch steps and heads for the car. I watch him as he starts the engine and drives away. I wonder if that was the message that he got when I nudged him. I didn't want him to go. That wasn't my intention with the nudge. 

"So..." Grandma says as she wears this straw hat on. I have no idea where she got that. "Want me to tour you around town now?"

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

Half Baked Hearts | ✔ Από keah monae

Εφηβική Φαντασία

133K 13.8K 37
When her favorite bakery is at risk of being shut down, Charm Cunningham takes it upon herself to save it with the help of the bakery's newest (and a...
1.6K 38 15
For most eighteen year olds, the summer after high school graduation means getting in some last minute fun before going off to college and beginning...
Until Now Από Julie

Εφηβική Φαντασία

8.7K 773 24
Maisie had planned to dedicate this summer to going out with friends, staying single, and concentrating not only on her job at Layla's, but also her...
180K 8K 28
As a teenager, Lena Young ran away to Texas to start a new life. Now at 26 shes a successful bakery owner and hasn't been happier. Things are going w...