Mockingjay: the dawning

By Acemajordreamer

Katniss and Peeta are recovering slowly as they try and rebuild their lives back in district 12 again after t... More

Chapter 1:Arriving home
Chapter 2 : Hypothetically
Chapter 3 : Old Friends and De Ja Vu
Chapter 4 : Always, Together in the New World
Chapter 5: Old Friends and Interruptions
Chapter 6: Arrivals and Hints
Chapter 7: Evidence and House guests
Chapter 8: Early morning exploration
Chapter 9: Discoveries and Prep teams
Chapter 10: Remake
Chapter 11: Final steps
Quick announcement
Chapter 12: Dizzy spells
Chapter 13: Yes?
Chapter 15: For the love of warmth
Authors note
Chapter 16: The time starts now
Quick question
Chapter 17: Plans?
Quick note
Chapter 18: Hide and Seek
PLEASE READ - Thank you
Chapter 19: Alone, with myself.
Chapter 20: Mundanity
Please read - Thank you

Chapter 14: The nightmare that was nearly reality

101 5 0
By Acemajordreamer

Katniss

I wake up in the early hours of the morning; I realise I can hear whimpering and crying. I look next to me to check it isn't Peeta. I get out of bed to investigate. Peeta, who is sleeping soundly beside me doesn't even flinch when I remove my body weight from the mattress.

I walk past the 2 rooms the prep teams are staying in; they are all sound asleep. I walk past Johanna's room; the door is open but she isn't there.

Annie.

I eventually reach her room as I run there, anticipating the worst. As I walk in, I'm greeted by a Johanna, who is comforting a whimpering and teary Annie.

"Did you have a night terror?" I ask, sensitively. I don't personally like to talk about my nightmares with anyone except Peeta. I don't know if she will say anything to Johanna or I.

"I heard her crying... So I came in to investigate. I woke her up. She's a bit traumatised, that's all, I think." Johanna says, rather sensitively. I think she has turned over a new leaf for Annie, since she pretty much looks after her. I think she does it for Finnick really, because I know she used to think Annie was crazy.

Annie finally comes out of her traumatised state and looks up at us.

"You didn't have to come, you know." She says, quietly.

"It's okay Annie. We are all okay." Says Johanna softly as she rubs Annie's back gently.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask, cautiously.

She responds with a nod.

"I was being interrogated by the Capitol about the rebels..... Again. But this time they were torturing me harder than they were before. Then Snow came out and said that I would never be allowed to be with Finnick and..." She says as her eyes crystal over with tears, threatening to spill at any moment.

"Then he said that if he ever got hold of the Rebels he'd line you up and kill you with the same bullet, lined up. Katniss, then Finnick, so on and so forth..." She continues, curling up into a ball.

Johanna and I wait patiently for her to finish.

"Because we all defied what victors were supposed to be - because we were more than his slaves. I said that if he did that I would kill myself. Then little Noah started kicking me so I woke up." She concludes

"I wonder whether that was his daddy's doing." I say softly.

"You can only hope so." Johanna replies.

"Do you want me to get you a cup of tea or something, Annie?" I ask.

"Yes please. Actually, I'm a bit hungry. Would you mind if I had some toast or something? I can make it myself." She replies, sincerely.

"No need. I'll take care of it." I reply.

"Can I at least come downstairs?" She asks.

"We'll all go. It's already 6:30am, there is no point in going back to sleep." Says Johanna as she gets up.

Johanna and I start helping Annie to the door, and I can't help but notice that she is quite dizzy.

"Johanna, I think I'll go wake up Peeta to take her downstairs." I say quietly.

"No, please don't." Annie says with guilt in her eyes.

"I'll carry her myself." Johanna says.

Strangely, Johanna is remarkably strong. Then I remember  the whole axe thing and feel incredibly stupid for not remembering.

Johanna easily takes the small framed Annie down the stairs and puts her on the couch. I get her some pillows and a blanket. The February cold makes me turn the house heating up a bit.

"I'll stay with Annie, you get her some food and tea. And while you're at it, make us some too. We shouldn't leave her alone if she is awake or having a nightmare. And we should probably get your mother to come down here to see Annie. I don't think 13 knew she was pregnant and she needs a doctor to have a look at her, maybe give her something for the dizziness." Says Johanna, firmly yet quietly.

"Alright then," I say as I troop off to the kitchen. I quickly prepare some toast with jam for all of us and bring a pot of tea. I put it on this little kitchen cart we have that's perfect for this purpose. I wheel the food to Annie and Johanna and go back to the phone. It's 6.45, so my mother is definitely up. I dial her number and listen for an answer. Seconds later, I get one.

"Katniss?" My mother says, sounding surprised.

"Yes Mom, it's me. I need you to get to 12 as soon as you can. You see, Annie is pregnant and she has been really dizzy, and she and Johanna are both here at the moment, and I don't think she has seen a doctor, and I trust you to keep everything private."

"I will be there in 4 hours. I'll get on the express that leaves in 30 minutes. I'll talk to you properly when I get there dear."

"Bye Mom." I say before the line goes dead.

I return to the living room and see that Johanna turned the television on. It's all reruns of yesterday's interviews and Caesar speculating over my engagement. The news is all about it, and quite frankly I don't understand why people care so much about me. I'm not still doing anything for the country. Sure, I stood up for what I believed in and now we live in a different world. But why anybody has the time of day to care about my personal affairs is beyond me.

We all devour the food, then the prep team who are leaving today back to the Capitol come down, so I make them food as well. As soon as they finish, we say our goodbyes and they are off.

At 8am, Peeta comes down the stairs looking concerned. He sees me doing dishes and looks relieved yet confused.

"Morning Peeta," I say, as I wash my hands and come to his side.

"Morning Beautiful. I was wondering where you were." He replies, his voice evidently still half asleep.

"Long story short, Annie had a nightmare at 5am, which woke both Johanna and I up, so we calmed her down and took her downstairs." I reply, frankly.

"How? She gets so dizzy...." He asks, confused.

"Johanna carried her. Then I made food for everyone, and I'm cleaning up." I continue, frankly.

"Very productive for my fiancé who is not a morning person." He says says he envelopes me in a hug, and I proceed to kiss him. He kisses me back and I feel warmer inside than I did when I drank the hot tea.

"I figured I may as well be useful. Johanna and I only got her to calm down by 6:30, by which stage she was fully awake and hungry. We weren't going to leave her alone awake and it was a bit late to go back to sleep." I reply, still in his arms.

"Okay then. What are they doing now?" He asks me, still with his hands on my hips.

"Johanna was distracting her with the television. I think they are about to watch a movie."

"What movie?"

"They are watching some old movies called X Men. Johanna seems to be into it - Annie, I have no idea what she thinks. There are 3 movies that are fairly long so I think they are going to have a movie day." I say.

"Shall we join them?" Peeta asks me.

"Only if you want to.." I say with a slight grin on my face. He offers me his arm.

"Shall we?" He asks, putting on a capitolesque accent.

"We shall."'I reply as I take his arm and let him lead me to the living room, where Annie is spread out on one of the couches, Johanna is reclined back in another, so Peeta and I curl up on the love seat.

"Any chance of snacks?" Johanna asks .

"Sure." I say, about to get up out of my fiancé's lap. Peeta stops me before I can.

"No, Katniss, you stay here, I'll get some of the pastries from yesterday and some drinks." He says to me as he wheels away the little cart I brought breakfast in on. I have the best fiancé ever, I think to myself.

He returns just as we are going to start the movie. Apparently it was a very famous movie in its day according to Johanna, who seems to be into this kind of stuff. Peeta brings us some cheese buns, ginger snaps, sugar cookies and hot chocolate. We all snuggle up and begin our movie marathon.

Author's note:
Hey guys! Sorry forgot updating in a while. I've been quite busy and I'm just writing parts of them when I get time as I don't really have the time to write whole chapters at once. I'll try and put up one a week. And we are back to normal length chapters, I know the last 2 were double ones, but I felt it was kind of necessary for the content. I hope you enjoy this one, remember to vote and comment any suggestions. We are very close to 400 views, and I can't thank you guys enough for reading and supporting my story.

Xx Avi.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 2.8K 29
Katniss and Peeta's journey after the rebellion ended. How do Katniss and Peeta get through every day knowing everything that has happened and how ma...
68.2K 1.4K 21
This is the book after, after the rebellion. If you haven't read that I suggest you do before reading this one. I do not own any of the characters a...
11.1K 219 15
A Hunger Games fanfic from Annie Cresta's POV. Annie has been rescued from the clutches of the Capitol and is brought to District 13 to be reunited w...
2.6K 40 17
It's been a few years since Katniss Everdeen won the 74th annual hunger games along with Peeta Mellark and since they lost the rebellion against the...