Intent [Wattys 2017]

By ccalianese

How can I, Emma Parker, possibly fall into the arms of my best friend, Harry Styles, if I can't even tell him... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Attention all you beautiful people...
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Sequel
Intent Playlist

Chapter 45

8.3K 215 10
By ccalianese

Emma

As I rush down the hall towards the office I hope, knowing there is very little of it, that Harry actually just goes out to his car and waits for me there. In this moment it's like there's nothing more that I want in the world than to see Harry leaning against his car the way he does when he's waiting, all casual and sexy.

But I know he won't be and knowing my luck recently he won't just come bursting in here but so will Jess right after, blowing up the whole situation I have set.

"Oh hey Emma, I thought you'd already left?" My head springs up from fiddling with the contents of my bag to find Sophia still sitting at the desk.

"Oh, I actually decided to go for a ride but I'm just leaving to–"

"This girl must have really done something to you then."

"Why would you say that Soph?" I know why, I only spontaneously ride without telling when I'm pissed. Sure I haven't known Sophia all that long but I'm a creature of habit.

When I'm pissed people generally know. Normally I don't tell people why but it's like my whole body gives it away. I guess I get it, I don't really have all that much control over my body sometimes. I still feel a little out of it sometimes. Like when I'm getting ready in the morning I catch a glimpse of the scars on my shoulder or my hips and I suddenly feel like this, this body isn't mine. It's such an outer body experience you kind of have to life it yourself to truly understand. Just another way my past keeps creeping up on me.

"I say that because I know you Parker." She eyes me before returning back to her papers.

"Fine but, I'll tell you soon. So how did everything go after I left?" It's almost like she's turning into Lina if she continues with this line of questioning.

"Fine," Thank god she's not Lina! "Though I can tell the new girl is gonna be a pain in the ass" well my sentiments exactly.

"Really? How'd you tell?" I smirk at her, giving her a wink.

I'm happy we are so similar. To be fair there are not many people who I truly get along with. Sure I have acquaintances I casually say hi to around campus but for those true friendships, basically the people I don't want to strangle after a few moments of talking, those are rare. Lucky for me I've found two, Lina and most recently Sophia.

"What did she do to you anyway?" Soph is turning into Lina, like I attract them or something.

"It's a long story and Soph...haven't we already gone through this?"

"Oh come on Emma, give me a little gossip, it's been a slow day" she says leaning her chin on her hands giving me those puppy dog eyes, willing me to tell her as I continue to shove my small purse and dress from last night into my riding duffle.

"Trust me, when I say it's a long story I really mean it." God if you only knew.

"Really? Well I've got time but I can tell you don't as you shove all that junk into that bag. Must be Harry, right?" And with her words I can't help the bashful smile that crosses my face at the mere thought of Harry, giving me away instantly before I turn my attention back to my bag.

"Don't be like that" I beg her, straightening up again and pulling my hair out of the ponytail letting the hair loose over my shoulders.

"Ahhh" she says leaning back in her chair knowing that she's right "so it is him."

"Can you stop knowing everything please. How'd it go with the new girl? You've barely given me anything." God I sound like a broken record here. I do want to know though.

Did Jess made a snide comment about me or something? She say something about Harry? I'm like a thirsty lion needing water and I will not let up until I have my fill.

"She's fine, not sure if she's got any talent yet obviously..." Well we know she has a talent to getting drunk and ending up at random boys beds. Alright maybe Harry wasn't random to her, they had some kind of relationship before the other night but still. Shit, I need to stop devoting so much time to this bitch.

"...guess we'll just have to wait and see for the first practice later tomorrow." Shit, forgot about that.

Seeing the realization on my face Sophia continues "you know I can run the practice tomorrow if you already have plans..." leaning back again and twirling her pen between her fingers suggestively. Get your mind out of the gutter woman.

"I couldn't ask you to do that" shaking my head at her. But please insist on it!

"Oh stop it Emma, I hereby banish you from tomorrow's practice," her eyes suddenly going wide "un-unless things go completely downhill and you need to blow off some steam... oh god I didn't mean it like that. I'm sure it will be great. But please come tomorrow if you really wanna come, I...I mean you are the captain so please..." she stutters, over compensating for her comments but of course I don't even care that she's taking a little control. Not this time anyway.

"I'll text you with an update tomorrow." I giggle at her pulling my bag over my shoulder and heading towards the door.

"Seriously though Emma, if you need to talk about whatever history you have with that girl I'm always around." I'm not weak am I? God I don't want this. I don't need support or anything. Jesus, my time is for more than just thinking about damn Jess. That's it, I'm not even going to think about Jess-I'm-the-center-of-attention-ica anymore.

"Just wondering but why are you pushing this so much?" I say adjusting my bag in annoyance wanting to leave.

"Just your face when she walked in, like you'd seen a ghost or something." Told you my body always gives me away.

"Would have much rather seen a ghost if I'm honest." She tries to respond but I don't let her. "Look I'll let you know eventually but can I get to my date now?" Motioning to the door, wanting nothing more than to get to Harry.

She just laughs at me, swatting her arms in the air in my direction to leave before returning to whatever papers she was working on before I interrupted her.

I pull open the door, finally free to get to today's activities whatever they may be. Let the Styles treatment finally begin.

Harry

Wait by the car my ass.

She's hiding something from me. I knew it the moment that kid told me she left the meeting early. And I knew it the moment I saw her galloping around the arena with all the force they both could handle. And I knew it the moment she pulled back from that kiss against the stable wall.

God that kiss.

I thought we were both gonna explode from that. I didn't even plan it. Don't get me wrong I have a shit ton planned for today but not that. I didn't think I would be able to stop myself. I'm still reeling. Get a grip Styles shaking my head at myself to try and push back the naughty images in my head, unsuccessfully I might add.

But she's still hiding something. A mind blowing makeout session doesn't change that. I didn't want to press her on it though. Em will let me know whenever she's ready. I mean if it was serious she'd clue me into what's going on, right? Em isn't stupid enough to keep things to herself even if it might be to her detriment would she? Who am I kidding? She's so damn independent I know that would be the case. Always trying to handle her problems on her own. And now what I heard about her mysterious past, well that she has a mysterious past, not that I know any details... she's definitely hiding something, shit.

Anyway there's no way I'm going to the car.

Making my way after her I'm struck by the familiarity of my actions. It seems like I've been chasing this girl a lot recently. Showing up at her place early in the morning, eavesdropping on her private conversation, and now this?

We never used to be like this. Before when we were just friends things were simpler. I didn't feel like she was hiding shit from me and I wasn't acting like this insane boyfriend worried about my girl over every little thing. Fine maybe I'm being a little overbearing but I know Em well enough to know when she's keeping something from me. And when you add the stuff I heard the other morning about her past I'm on high alert all of a sudden.

Shit this girl is gonna worry me to death.

I've made it to the door, all I need to do is open it. Hand around the knob about to turn..."what did she do to you anyway?" I freeze at her friend's words.

I knew it. Shit Emma.

"It's a long story..." and all of a sudden my brain goes into overdrive with questions as I start pacing around outside the door.

What story!? Who is this new girl and what does she have to do with Emma? God, one of you say a damn name! Then I can fix whatever it is that's bothering her... I hurriedly think tangling my fingers in my hair as their conversation continues only catching bits and pieces now.

"Seriously though Emma, if you need to talk about whatever history you have with that girl I'm always around."

She can talk to me about 'whatever history' Emma has with this girl according to what her friend said! I yell at her friend in my head unable to voice any of these concerns.

"...guess we'll just have to wait and see for the first practice later tomorrow."

Practice? She is certainly not going to any practice tomorrow, won't be done with her by then.

Honestly the only good bit of information from that conversation was the sound of Em's voice asking her friend to stop so she get back to me. We're past my stupid antics from last night, thank god.

The sound of footsteps advancing toward the door pulls me from my overanalyzing. Shit I'm turning into Emma.

I'm back down the hall where she left me as hastily as I can before she opens the door and spots me being a nosey bastard. This is ridiculous, why are we both hiding from each other all of a sudden. We aren't in grade school anymore, we're passed all this juvenile teen bullshit.

I push my fingers through my hair in frustration, still breathing a little too heavily...

"Hey there Styles" I turn round, hearing the most beautiful girl in the world, instantly calming my breathing down. "Couldn't follow some simple instructions could you?" She continues shaking her head with the biggest grin across her face as she gets closer.

"I think you've known me long enough to know that I don't follow instructions" I retort as she stands in front of me allowing me to wrap my arms around her torso "even if the one giving them is as sexy as you."

"You're impossible" she teases tugging my arm hinting that she wants to leave.

"Come on" I take the strap of her duffle bag, pulling it from her shoulder and shrugging it onto mine. "I've got a lot planned" leaning down to her ear, making sure my breath sits her skin. It works as I see goosebumps take over the whole area.

"Oh do you?" She teases peering up at me through her lashes.

"Hmmmm" I hum back at her as we walk out the barn and toward my car.

"So I finally get to experience the infamous Styles treatement then?" She explains taking a little too much time saying 'finally'.

"Don't tease, we'll have a lot of time for that later. Now get in the car." I joyfully demand opening the passenger door for her to get in suddenly nervous about what she'll think. Almost too much is riding on this. I'm suddenly feeling the pressure as my whole body tenses up and my palms get all sweaty. Swear, you'd think I've never been on a date before or something.

Kinda true I guess, no one's ever meant as much as her.

After throwing her bag in the back seat I move round to the driver's side and get in. What if she dosen't like it? All my plans suddenly seem so stupid and childish now.

"Harry?" I hear her whisper from her side of the car.

"Yeah?" I answer but I can't seem to look at her, she'll know if I do.

"You okay? You suddenly seem–"

"I'm fine love" just about shitting my pants with how nervous I suddenly am.

"Come here" she says taking my hand and threading her fingers through mine. Such a simple gesture but my nerves cool off almost instantly as our intertwined fingers rest between us. And before I know it she's pulling me to her over the center console as she crashes her lips onto mine. She tastes a little salty from her ride and smell likes coconut from her shampoo. It's such a sexy combo I almost want to scrap my plans and move to the back seat and do all the things I've wanted to do right now in the stable parking lot.

I bite her bottom lip, pulling it slightly, as I feel a rush of pleasure run down my spine and cause a tightness in my skinny jeans. Christ the things Em does to me. I cup her face, feeling her soft skin against my rough fingertips and pull her in closer, feeling the warmth from her to me as she presses her palms onto my chest. I forcefully slip my tongue between her lips, exploring the inside of her mouth as I feel her warm tongue dance against mine. This is everything I have ever wanted and more as I hear her quietly moan against my mouth. There is a sudden urgency in the kiss as I tilt her head to get a better angle but suddenly she pulls away, just enough for our lips to separate. We're both breathing heavily, well me a little more harshly than her. God the effect she has on me, swear the strain on my jean zipper is so uncomfortable I wouldn't be able to hold myself back if it was any other girl.

Jeez I sound like an animal.

"Alright Styles, hold your horses" her lips brushing against mine. "I need you to at least buy me a drink before any of that."

I press my forehead against hers even more still breathing heavily, I don't know how I spent so much time just being this woman's friend over the past few years. Honestly, she was right in front of me for so long and yet I didn't see how much I want her.

Am I the biggest idiot in the world or what?

"Swear you're gonna be the death of me" I whisper against her lips, wanting more of her.

"Don't you dare conk out of me just yet, still need to wine and dine me first." She giggles at the absurdity of her statement before giving me one more chaste kiss on the lips and sitting back in her chair and giving me cheek a playful pat. "Come on Styles, you gotta lot of ground to cover."

I know she's referring to last night when I didn't show but I don't even mind honestly. Because she's right. I was an ass but I've planned on doing just as she says. Tonight is for Emma. A cheesy walk down memory lane if you were and I didn't even need idiot Liam or nosey Louis for inspiration on this. What I've got planned next is all me and although I feel like my whole body is about to shake with all the nerves coursing through my system I don't even mind because I've got my girl sitting next to me and nothing can go wrong, absolutely nothing. 

___

A/N: The first date is up next!!! What do you think Harry's gonna do?

Happy weekend. 

All the love, C. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

594K 26.4K 58
When I first met him, when I first got drawn into those emerald eyes I never knew he'd mean that much to me just weeks later. I never knew he would b...
101K 955 26
PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM PERIODICALLY EDITING ALL THESE CHAPTERS, SO THEY MIGHT BE AWFUL BECAUSE I WAS YOUNG AND DIDN'T KNOW WHAT GRAMMAR WAS A YEAR AGO...
13M 237K 39
*y'all DON'T READ THIS. i wrote this at thirteen. you've been warned.* "Harry, it's been rumored that if you have a daughter you would name her Dar...
21.2K 324 25
When all of Lucy's best friends have boyfriends she's feeling down to say the least. There is one boy though, Harry Styles, who she is crazy about. A...