Fractured

By JadedViolet

(Book 2) Now that Luke knows the truth about his wife, there is one thing left to do to in order for Clare to... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Author's Note

Chapter 30

34.9K 845 168
By JadedViolet

Chapter 30

I stared at him with wide eyes and could feel my tense body refuse to move, the only exception being my chest from my hectic breath.  I... couldn't believe it.  That he came as quickly as he had.  It made me that much more thankful to have a man like him in my life.  Someone I can depend on, that would be anything for me... That was something I realized right then.  I knew he would die for me, he would suffer for me.  But I discovered at that moment the true extent of that.  That he would do anything for me.  Just for me.  It hurt me to think like that but it was something I needed to face.  Especially when looking at him now, the position he put himself in, as he stood on the other side of the door, holding a gun to my doctor's head.

A gust of relief hit me at seeing him, the love I had for him, my overwhelming release of panic now off my shoulders.  Well, not exactly all of my panic.  I was staring at a guy I cared very much about.  And a guy I would like to see not go to jail for what he was doing now.  Staring back into his hot and hatred filled eyes, the power in them ready to snap someone's neck, I knew exactly what must have happened.  He didn't come in with back up behind him like he would doing a job.  This clearly had to be a very impulsive thing, and very personal to him to get him to pull a gun out on them and demand my release.

I was frozen in shock while everything was spinning in circles in my head; I didn't have the voice to speak.  He however did.  Though there was very little light, I was able to see him well enough to make out his expression.  And his green eyes finally falling from mine to the doctor, that scowl and disgusted look still on his face.  "Open... the fucking door," he growled to him in a low voice, one so threatening I never heard him use before. 

Peterson didn't hesitate.  He looked just as frozen as I was, shocked, and scared shitless with his wide eyes and stiff body against the command of the gun's barrel against the side of his hand.  However, at hearing Luke's words, he was in action.  With Luke's hand resting tightly over his shoulder, his other hand pointing the gun to his head partially from behind, I watched the nearly hyperventilating doctor slowly move to take the card out of his pocket. And it was the most releasing sound today to hear the click of the door when he slid the card for access the next second.  A sound that echoed through my ears to the back of my head. 

The sound sent chills up my body and it sent me automatically in action by standing up from the bed after that startled sound.  Not because it was a limitless and loud sound to my ears, but because it made me extremely paranoid at this point.  What if someone heard?  What if they heard and knew what was happening in the building?  That Luke was trying to break me out - fucking break me out!  What excuse could he have?  None!  This would ruin him... it would ruin his life, what he was doing right now.

"Luke," I hissed at him, just as I watched him move closer towards the door, dragging Peterson. At hearing my voice, he didn't stop; I don't know if he could have. "You can't do this," I nearly whispered under my breaking voice when I watched him push Peterson forward more and into the door, forcing it open with the grip on him he had.  "You can't get me out this way! It will ruin your life.  You could go to prison."

"I wont," was all I heard from him in that rough and raspy voice, one soft and nearly unrecognizable at the same time from how incredibly low it was.  However, once the door was open, he stopped and meet my eyes.  The green diamonds that pierced mine... he might have sounded incredibly angry but his eyes showed hints of anxiousness.  For me.  That we needed to get out of here right now.  "We need to go.  Right now," he said in quick  voice and I wouldn't second guess him.  It was a mistake on his part and I knew it.  He couldn't give up what he was throwing away just to break me out.  He comes in here, guns out and ready, you can expect he will go to prison.  And that thought broke my heart more than the idea of the events of tomorrow morning doc had planned.  But I knew he wouldn't give in to any words I offered.  Like I said, he would give up anything for me that he could.

Sighing heavily, I knew I couldn't fight him - and seeing his urgency, he wouldn't let me have the time to fight him.  He nodded towards the hall where he wanted me to go and I wouldn't protest after he hissed to me again.  "Come on!" he hissed in urgency and my legs made it possible for me to move after he spoke. 

Walking swiftly out into the hall and Luke following, dragging Peterson with him, I watched as he turned down the hall to the right and started to swiftly walk.  Beside him, walking swiftly with him as my eyes were out in search before me, I noticed a feeling.  I directed my attention to Luke when I noticed his hand dropped from Peterson's shoulder and wrapped his arm around mine as we walked.  Maybe it was because he didn't want to lose me as we tried to get out of here; maybe because he thought I was too weak to support myself, and maybe just because he wanted to. 

"Where are we going?" I asked, not finding this area one bit familiar as we began to walk down another wall of rooms.  The dim light lighting the path every couple yards down the cement and musky hall, I couldn't ignore the patients that became aroused from sleep by our movement down the hall. With their sleepy moans, some random shouts at us, it made me even more determined to escape this place.

"You're getting out of here," he answered sternly as he kept his eyes ahead and searching when I looked up at him.  His eyes moved towards the doctor and his anger seemed to have increased.  "This sick fuck is going to hell, whether God will take care of that or me," he said and I saw the muscles under the dark hair of his arms flex and tense when he pushed the barrel harder against the side of Peterson's head, as if making him go faster.  Glancing to Peterson, there was only pure fear on his face and it brought a new form of satisfaction to me, the kind I was not proud of. 

Moving down the hall, I started to notice more of the little things.  Such as how tight these walls were together - or maybe that could be because it was becoming harder to breath with what was happening.  And what was happening... was not good.  Taking in Luke, I noticed he was in uniform.  He wore the tan shirt that held his badge and his matching pants, held up by the belt that supported everything he carried.  He was on duty, I knew.  That made me feel a little better I suppose.  But I was still positive he wasn't suppose to be doing this even if he was on duty.  This probably had nothing to do with orders but rather personal interest - or panic.  Even as a cop, there was no excuse to pull out a gun on someone and force them to release me.  Of course, their treatment here didn't have much of an excuse either....

I could feel my throat begin to tighten as we moved around a corner and down another hall.  Everything felt so real to me then.  The brush of his skin wrapped around my arm, the soft and comforting air around him calming me down.  Even his smell... oh my god.  This place invaded my senses with the smell of disease and literally shit.  It was a warm welcome to smell the musk of his shampoo, his familiar cologne that was just still barely there after a long day.  It was surprising really... how observant I became.  It was hard this whole time to take too much in all at once - especially the specifics of places like my room they put me in.  But now, even in the dim light, I couldn't ignore the countless rooms lining the halls we were passing by no matter how tired I was.  The cement floors beneath our quick feet were filthy, littered in trash and dirt.  The dusty lights above us, just how low the ceiling was... and the flight of stairs that was coming up at the end of this hall.

"Down the stairs?" he growled at the doctor for an answer.

"Yes," he belted out in a high pitched voice, though I could tell he was trying very hard to conceal it.  The man blinked a few times and I saw he was trying to get his nerves under control.  Clearly, Peterson was trying his hardest not to be weak in this moment, no matter what.

Pausing, Luke moved his arm from mine and came to grab the guys shoulder, making him stop walking forward as well.  Turning the man towards him and me, he pointed the gun straight at his forehead, making him immediately stand straighter - and making my eyes widen at the sight.

"Then what?" he asked him, voice just as venomous towards him like before. 

His eyes on Luke, he processed a new emotion across his face I hadn't seen thus far. Staring him down, I saw the slow dip form in his eyebrows and the ugly set of his lips. Though he was just giving us directions based on the gun pointed at him, he strangely didn't seem to think that to be important enough at this point.  It was as if he lost all that panic from before and turned into a different person.

"Then... you go can go to hell,"  he said and slowly. We watched as a creepy smile came to his lips.  At this point, I believed he belonged in one of these rooms.  Who goes from shaking in fear to coming back cocky?  "You both are screwed as it is."

Luke did not take amusement from his words.  I watched him take  quick step forward and press the barrel of the gun back against him.  This time, it was touching the spot in between his eyebrows and pushed back from there, forcing the doctor to back up until his back hit the wall.  Luke towering over him nearly, he stared him down, with such an immense amount of... well, that same angry expression that wouldn't change.

"Do you want to die, doctor?" Luke asked him, this time in more quiet voice. More threatening too as he narrowed his eyes more firmly to his. 

"You wouldn't kill me.  Not over this whore that killed my nephew!" he said to him before glancing to me, mire hatred filling his eyes.  They returned to Luke's though and waited, as if what he said to him would would catch his attention and goad  him into understanding his side.  He pulled the whole 'feel bad for me because my nephew died' card.  However, he clearly didn't know just who this man was that was pointing the gun at him.  Doc did achieve something though: he did get Luke's attention with that words. 

Luke stared at him for a moment and when a curious light flickered across his eyes, he carefully glanced behind him to me with where I was standing, watching.  This time, his face did change.  To a more surprised expression; eyes wider, brows raised more.... With a shaky nod from me to validate that what this guy was saying was true - that this is Mark's uncle - a new idea entered Luke's head when he came to look back at the guy he held against the wall with his gun.

"You're Mark's uncle," he said in a shallow and low voice, no emotion showing at all; he shadowed it after facing him again. 

Peterson looked quite confused on how he would know that.  Doc was just trying to get Luke to feel sorry to him or maybe just distract him.  But he only managed to tell him something that made it worse for his case.  After all, how was he suppose to know that Luke was my 'stepfather' and that he was the one involved with Mark's death too?  For all he knew, Luke was some random cop I never met before.  Bad news for him.

"So if that's the case, I can only assume you had one hell of an agenda in mind for her," Luke said, nodding his head up and indicating me.  He guessed right though.  He knew with what Peterson just said would most likely result in 'special treatment' for me.  Yeah, if he was over the edge like he was before, Luke would lose it even more now that he heard that and realized what that could have meant if he didn't get here in time.

Before Peterson could respond to Luke's guess, the next moment happened so fast, it was hard for my eyes to process in the dark hall.  Luke moved the hand not holding the gun swiftly down to his side, swiped the handcuffs out of the pouch on his belt, and in the same movement, whipped them forward towards Peterson's wrist. Hearing the click, click, click of the handcuffs latching around his wrist, I saw Luke move his fingers up to the other end of where he handcuffed his wrist and dragged the doctor from that wall to the opposite wall across from them. 

Confused - and dazed as all hell this was happening - I turned and watched Luke take the empty latch of it and clamp it around the bar of a grate that was up against the wall so he couldn't move. He handcuffed Doctor Peterson to the grate.  At this point, I really respected for him to be able to do anything when all I wanted to do was lay down and sleep, I was so tried.

No longer needing to point the gun at a man that was now bound, he lowered it to his side as his eyes took him in as I did too.  Peterson was now close to laying on the floor with how low it was to the ground when considering his height;  he had no choice but stay on the ground when Luke pushed him there upon handcuffing him.  Knees up by his side, he eyed the handcuffs that held him there in astonishment almost, as if he didn't even see it happen, it was so fast. 

Backing up and away from him, towards me, I felt Luke take my hand in his instead of just wrapping his arm around mine.  It felt a million times better and I could feel my hope was slowly lifting no matter how stupid his decision was to come after me in that way.  Looking up at Luke, I felt my hand squeeze in his and drew his eyes back down to me. But before anything else could happen, Luke glanced back to where doc was resting his forehead in frustration against the bar, trying to jerk against it and break free. 

Just as Luke started to walk swiftly past him with me, he stopped long enough to slip a few last words to him - words that would ring deep.  In a whisper, he said in a poisoned voice, "Oh, and it wasn't her that killed Mark.  It was me that shot and killed him, you ignorant prick."

Watching Peterson's reaction to that, his eyes widened with where they were facing the bars and the wall, seemingly glazed over in disbelief. I know Luke would have wanted to do a lot more to him (especially since he knew that this guy had special plans for me). But of course, Luke couldn't afford anymore time here with him.  We wasted enough as it was, apparently.  Because with Luke's warm and safe hand grasping mine, he tugged me along and towards the stairs, leaving Peterson there handcuffed.  We had other issues we needed to face now besides him.  Like the ton of other people in here as well as a way to get out.

Luke and I started to quickly stomp down the stairs as quickly as we could.  By the time we got down to the second floor through, I knew it was time to accept that this was happening.  That Luke... was breaking me out.  And though I knew better than to fight with him on such an issue, I couldn't continue saying nothing. 

"What do you plan to do after this?"

"I can't think about that right now," he said, jumping down to the next landing with me as we then turned and continued down the next section of steps.  Feet pounding in sync on the hard steps, I felt the bumpy surface of the railing brush my skin as I held onto it this whole time.  The only feeling I could focus on though was his hand, his presence around me, knowing he was here, to get me out, no matter the consequences he will probably have to suffer. "I just need to get you out of here," he said, picking up his pace and straining his hold on me.  Glancing down to me though as we rounded one more section of stairs, he offered me those jade eyes that lit and flickered.  "You're all that counts to me right now," he said, his voice showing the first sign of breaking, the fist facet of affection.  My stomach turning at the warming feeling within me, I saw the heartbreak he was experiencing in his eyes over what happened.   I can only image what he went through to get to this point now.  Without having anytime to talk about it, obviously, he just turned back to the stairs ahead of us until it finally ended and we knew we were on the first floor now. 

In front of us was a door with a small square window in the center.  Pausing, I looked up to Luke in wonder with how we should proceed.  However, when we stopped, an immediate noise hit both our ears and there was no way you couldn't recognize what it was.  The window also validated it. 

The sound of running feet, close as well as faded from further away came to us as did some screams. Mostly rushed voices of panic.  And looking through the window with Luke, I noticed I  was looking into the lobby. The lobby that the owner, Rich, meet me in.  With the hardwood floors, white dull walls, and plants everywhere to cover up the true nature of such a place.  The only difference was that it was dark outside so the high lights above the lobby shinned brightly down, unlike the dim and flickering bulbs the rest of this shithole had.  Straight across from us were the front doors even though Clare and I came in through a different door.  I also noticed what was directly in front of this door and that was the back of the main desk. 

I recalled coming in here with Clare and seeing a couple doors behind the desk.  We were obviously behind one of those doors.  Nobody was sitting there of course.  If I had to guess, whoever usually sits there was up and running out the door like everyone else that we noticed. 

Scattered doctors were talking in a rush together as they headed towards the door.  Other workers moved quickly in the other direction, through another door that I recognized adjacent to where we were - the door where Clare and I came through.  They were all leaving.... And that had to mean they knew a desperate man was in here, wielding a gun. 

Turning back towards Luke, facing him, he looked down to me when he saw me ask for his eyes to look into mine.  Eyebrows dipping, I spoke in a quieter voice to him. "They clearly know you're in here with a gun.  It shouldn't be too hard getting out of here, right?" I asked. It's not like these people could call the cops.

"No, it shouldn't be.  But I wont be leaving.  And I know there are some people here... determined in making me stay."

Making my heart jump within my chest, I still had a hard time understanding - with good reason to in my opinion.  What did he mean?  He wont be leaving?  Wasn't the whole idea suppose to involve just getting me out of here and him with me?  It was the last words though that stuck with me.  That some were dedicated to making him stay....

"Luke, you need to explain to me what the hell you are talking about," I told him, my voice cracking I could hear.  Standing so close to him like I was, the only thing I wanted was to get out of here with him.  I didn't want to be here, didn't want to worry about his fresh words in my head, or the fact that this could get him into serious trouble.  That's all I wanted. But first, I needed to know how this was going to work.  It needed to pan out for the both off us.  I would never forgive myself if he didn't get off the hook or leave the building even - which freaked me out.

Taking a deep breath himself, I saw how hard it was for him to stand still for a minute and just talk when I knew he just wanted to follow through with what he had planned.  But I needed to know first what it was he had planned.  "Shannon is waiting in her car around back.  She is parked behind the garbage dumpsters so nobody can really see her.  You get in with her and you both go back to the house.  Clare wont be there."

Uh... what?!  Holy shit, holy shit, what was he talking about?  She wasn't there.... She wasn't at the house.  What did that mean?  Did he kill her?  That was my first guess and I could only hope he didn't.  He would have fucked up everything if he did that.... He wouldn't have, would he?  Well, at this point, I knew it was actually quite possible if he was in here pointing a gun around to get me out.  It was clear he no longer cared about the rules, about the possible consequences... he just cared about me.  And that was a very dangerous thing if he wouldn't consider the other variables involved here.

Staring up at him, I felt my eyes search in his, swimming desperately through that green sea to find answers.  All I could get out of my mouth was, "Wh-What...?"

Licking his lips, I saw him look back up and towards the little window on the door before back down to me. "I don't have time to explain right now.  Shannon will once you guys get out of here."

I shook my head.  "What about you?"

"I have things to take care of here.  But I will be okay, alright?"

"No.  No.  Luke, this will ruin you."

Though more than anything, he just wanted to get into action, he refused to before I understood and accepted.  Pursing his lips, I saw him move closer to me and meet my eyes in a way that made me want to nearly, and finally, cry.  Grasping my shoulder with his free hand, his eyes searched my face.  "It wont.  I promise you, I will be okay.  I promise you.  Shannon will explain but you just need to stay with me right now.  Stay at my side, and follow me, okay?" 

Taking in a shaky breath, I knew I had no choice.  I nodded and I felt his hand grip mine again, squeezing tightly and he gave me a hopeful and loving look before he glanced back up and through the window.  The next thing I knew then, was that we were moving. 

Luke pushed the door open and dragged me out through it with him.  Everything happened just as fast as it had before.  He bounded around the desk, pulling me with him and all that was keeping me connected was his hand in mine.  Looking around as we moved, I saw people scattering like frantic ants. Some fleeing through the front doors, some coming from that long hall that led to the main part of the building.   But one person - the one that I noticed wasn't running - his eyes found mine instantly as I ran with Luke.  And then, his eyes glanced to my savior of the day pulling me along in front of me. 

I recognized him well enough and it made my heart fumble.  Because I knew that out of every person in this building, he would be the most determined in making me stay. As my eyes remained while we moved, I saw Rich's eyes grow bigger (the owner of this place) and I knew why he wasn't running away.  In fact, a moment later, he was doing the opposite of all the others here in the building.  He slowly began to move in our direction until his pace picked up and he was chasing after us; nearing us from where he was all the way across the lobby.

Confused, I let my feet work on auto command as I took him in as he began to run after us.  Of course, my confusion resolved after I took in his moving form more.  The aging man was wearing different clothes than before.  This time, he supported a deep blue sweatshirt and now jeans.  Being as late as it was, he must have changed for some reason - like to be more comfortable if he was working later like he was tonight.  However, with what he held in his hand, I knew he wasn't concerned with comfort anymore.  Grasping a shotgun in his hand as he ran after us, it was becoming very real that he was looking for us the moment he heard that Luke was in here with a gun.  Now, he saw us.

Eyes widening at the sight, I gasped just as I knew Luke noticed Rich too before it was too late.  We were in the middle of the lobby and running towards the back door of the place when I felt Luke grip my arm harder and come to an abrupt stop, making me stop with a jerking motion in return as well.  Luke had seen him start to run at us and wouldn't allow him to get any closer.  

Spinning back towards him, Luke raised his gun at the guy and he stopped running at us.  Instead, he smiled and took us in.   Such a freaking old creep... God, I still couldn't forget how disgusting he was and it still sent the chills over me to see that fake plastic smile . For the longest moment, nothing happened but us just looking at each other.  At the pig that made me undress in front of him, the pig that came onto me in a very disturbing way....  Ugh! 

Facing him as we were, I felt compelled to scream at Luke to shoot him right then.  The moment we stopped running though, Luke's hand moved up my arm from his hold on my palm and he roughly shoved me behind him and out of the way of the psycho and sick piece of shit facing us a couple yards away with a gun.

Stunned at all that was happening, the only thing I was allowed to see was Luke's back.  But I saw his arms were raised and holding the gun out in front of him, holding it towards Rich (who, I now noticed, aimed that gun straight towards us).  Though I couldn't see him much any longer, which was Luke's point in moving in front of me, all I could think was that he needed to kill him them.  Not just because he violated me in a way.  Not even because Rich was the reason for everyone's suffering here.  The only reason I wanted him dead at that exact second was because his shotgun was pointed straight at Luke. 

"Put the gun down, officer!" I heard him shout towards us and with each word, not only did I hear the creepy tone in it that seemed almost happy and welcoming, even through a threat.... I heard him come closer to us.  Only yards away now as he neared us.  And it bothered me beyond belief.  I couldn't take standing behind him like I was.  I knew Rich would not kill me.  After all, I was his prize catch for his zoo here. 

However, no matter how much I wanted to move and not be the weak girl hiding behind him, Luke wouldn't let me.  His hold on me was hard, as if he knew I'd do something stupid.  Either that or he wouldn't dare take his chances right now. I didn't like standing behind him like I was, feeling weak. He didn't care though.  Just that I needed to  stay safe.  "There has been some sort of misunderstanding," he offered Luke.  "I'm sure we could work something out.  You see, I am the owner of this place and believe you may have gotten the wrong impression about the type of work we do here."

I noticed that past Luke's body, the man took one more step towards us.  Though there were a few people running around us still, my focus stayed on that man then. My heart beat was erratic and I couldn't stop the rolling feeling in my stomach.  Too much... too much.  I couldn't stand him holding a gun to Luke.  It ripped me apart and I tried resisting his hand to somehow get in front of him but he wouldn't let me move an inch.  He was focused and concentrated, persistent to not let me go.  And all the while, Luke wouldn't have anymore of this bullshit after Rich took that last step. 

"Put it down! Now!" I heard Luke shout harshly and loudly at him, his voice taking over the anxious voices of the exiting people.  "One more step, I'll blow you to pieces." Luke growled at him.

However, Rich didn't want to  listen.  All I can say is that if God does exist, that dude better have prayed for his mercy.  He took another step towards us and didn't lower his gun.  Maybe he thought Luke was bluffing but he learned he was wrong. I can honestly say he deserved what he got coming.

I heard the loud and smacking sound of the crack when Luke's gun went off.  Seeing his arm jerk slightly from the movement, I felt my breath hitch in surprise.  At the relief and disbelief of what happened.  I didn't see the bullet hit Rich.  But I did hear his body hit the floor.  And after the thump rang louder in my ears than anything else in the chaos filled room, I felt a weight lifted from me to also see the shotgun clatter to the floor too. Luke killed him. 

No longer needing to stay behind Luke, he lightened his grip that was on my arm and I stepped forward.  His hand still lingering almost unconsciously, I felt his hand slightly shake.  There wasn't confusion to me as to why though.  I didn't matter if he killed people before, if it was his job... it will still chip away at you and that was something I wished I could take away from him.  I couldn't ponder over it for long - or anything else for that matter.  The only thing that occupied my mind was what the I was seeing.  And that was the sight of the man on the floor.  My mind went blank. It's understandable why in this situation for me.

Luke has killed people before in front of me.  He killed Mark.  However, that was in the dark and I never did get to see his body clearly.  Luke shot the three intruders that came into our home.  But once again, it was also dark and I didn't get to see them either that well.  Letting it sink in that what just happened now could be added to that list of incidences of people dying around me before, this was much different.  We were under the bright lights of the building.  It lit up the lobby and highlighted this room from the darkness of the night outside.  And that meant I could see perfectly.  See his now dead body more clearly than I wanted to.

I've seen some pretty horrific sights while living on the streets - and that included shoot outs that left some dead in one case.  Like I said though, this was somehow different.  Because I... I finally got to see the toll this must take on Luke.  Staring down at the limp body, I saw blood slowly gush out from his chest.  He had landed on his side and most of his stomach when he crashed to the floor but I could still see the hole's in his clothes.  And under those clothes, was a red puddle that started to form and take the color of his already dark clothes.  His face was slack.  Like a dead fish, it reminded me of.  Eyes glazed over, lips parted with where they were pressed against the hardwood of the floors....

Just as that blood started to swim over the floor towards his sprawled out hand, Luke took hold of me again and turned me around.  Whether to block the ugly and scarring sight from me or because we needed to move and get out, I wasn't sure.  But I did know one thing and that was once he started moving with me again, there was no stopping him as he dragged me across the rest of the lobby. He didn't for one minute pause when he guided me towards the familiar way in which I came into this shitty place.  To the back door that Clare took me through when we entered this place. 

We walked through the door in the back of the lobby and retreated down the short hall.  With the hard and thick door teasing me at the end of the hall, I felt nothing but absolute relief.  The door to the outside back parking lot.  And though I understood it wasn't that difficult of a breakout for Luke, I felt as if this was the greatest thing he could do for me.  As if we just battled dozens of people to get out.  It felt that rewarding when we reached that door and Luke pushed it open as quickly as he could. 

The outside winter air welcomed me just as I fully welcomed the winter against my body.  Taking deep breaths, I wanted to pause.  Take in the fresh air that wasn't tainted with the repulsing scent of dirty people, shit, and disease.  But I could only do that when we were officially gone. 

Trust me, I knew it didn't make sense, the tense rush Luke was in.  Obviously, he wanted me out of this place.  But he run out with me as quickly as he could, as if he was trying to beat someone to me or something like that.  After thinking about it, I honestly didn't know since there was no way any of the people here would call the cops.  Either way though, he wasn't stopping.  The second we hit the chill and impact of the freezing air, he guided me off and to the right of the building.  The parking lot was empty and I could only really assume all the workers parked somewhere else.  Whatever be the case, Luke kept a hard hold of my arm as he ran with me along the side of the building towards where nothing sat but a couple dumpsters against the building. 

Wearing nothing but the white and thin, baggy clothing they gave me as well as poorly made shoes that matched... the cold filled my bones to the top with chills and I welcomed it.  As we ran, it felt almost as if the wind running over my face and body was wiping away the scent, the evidence this place left of me.  Of course though, just when I realized I would have rather stayed running, Luke slowed to a stop when we came to the dumpsters.

Breathing hard after running, I felt him not stop as he guided me around the dumpster to where I could see a car parked right behind it.  I wasn't able to see it before because the dumpster hid it.  I recognized the car too as Shannon's and understood then what Luke had meant before about getting out of here with Shannon. 

I didn't have much time to take anything in and that's all I wanted to do.  Just figure out what the hell it was that just happened.  He broke me out, killed the owner... oh my god.  Did that really just happen?  Or has the doctor already started playing with my brain to make me think Luke was here.... Fuck, I knew he was really here.  And it made me so happy and so scared at the same time.  That's why maybe it was a bitch to try to accept everything that seemed to have just zipped past me in a matter of seconds.  I just wanted everything to stop at this point.  But I knew it couldn't and I'd have to wait until I get the answers I want.  After all, Luke was right so far with everything going as planned for the most part.  If I knew anything, it was the my mind felt way out of whack.

At seeing Shannon's car in the shadows of the building and dumpster, I could still manage to make it out in the middle of the night.  With every continuing step we took closer to it, I felt Luke put his gun away when one arm fully circled around my back.  I felt the warmth through his clothes and mine to my body.  He was so warm... and it was one of the greatest feelings I could have asked for right then.  That warmth that Luke possessed was a welcoming after hours of a cold, damp, and menacing air.  Just... thank god he came.  Thank god he came.

With his arm around me, he guided me towards the car in support. When we got to the passenger side door, he opened it with his other hand and led me to duck down a bit to get into the car. However, that movement or transition into the car was fuzzy.  I caught a glimpse of a very concerned Shannon looking at me from where she was sitting in the driver's seat. 

So it was true... that she was waiting out here to take me.  Take me back home.  Ugh... I didn't even want to think at the moment.  It was giving me massive pain through my head and my sight continued shifting until it was just a blur for a minute.  I was either incredibly tired or in shock.  Either way, after managing to look back out to where Luke was standing outside of the car, I still felt a spike in me of fear.  He didn't close the door of the car as he continued to stand there outside but it wasn't like he was showing any signs of getting in the car either.

Before I could say anything, Luke spoke over my heavy breathing of just running and the panic in me of what just happened.  "Shannon, explain everything to her.  Don't leave her alone at the house until I get back there--"

"No..." I belted out as I looked up to him and shook my head. "Please come with me."  He was bent over and looking into the car when he was talking to Shannon.  After I spoke though and he looked to me, I saw his eyes nearly break open.  Offering me such a loving look, one of relief too; he tried to reassure me in the next moment.

"I can't.  I'll be back home as soon as I can.  Shannon will stay with you until then."

"I don't want anything to happen to you!" I said, close to panicking.  I felt the uneasiness in me already rise again and the last thing I wanted at the moment was to be away from him.

"Listen," he said softly.  "Nothing will happen to me.  I'll be fine; the dangerous part is over now.  I don't have time right now; I can't afford time.  I promise, I'll be home soon," he said, almost babbled, and before I could protest him again, he leaned back and slammed the car door shut.

***

Tonight, everything had happened so fast that it left me almost trying to catch up with everything myself.  No more than two hours ago, I was ready to break my rule and start sobbing at accepting that I would be brain dead tomorrow morning, or worse.  From then, everything changed drastically.  Luke broke me out - he fucking broke me out!  Besides watching a man die, it was a pretty successful night.  I was free, for now anyway, and knew that he saved me just in time.  I should be more than happy.  And I was, don't get me wrong.  But everything that happened while I was in there started to hit me in a sore spot.  Being out of that place, I could face the facts and that was that I was about to be tortured most likely tomorrow morning in some fashion.  Not only that but the fact that I felt like something I never felt before while I was in there.

Through the course of my life, people have beaten me down and done everything they could to make me feel like absolute shit.  There have been times where I felt useless, pointless, and just... tired of my life.  They made me feel empty and like I was nothing.  But... never before did I feel like literally an animal.  A stinky, funny looking, animal.

My hard breaths soon turned to be just shaky gusts.  It was a lot to dwell over, especially when I knew I wasn't going to get over this.  I held it all in so far and now, I had to cry.  It was against what I wanted but it needed to happened.  I refused to do it when those sick fucks would get satisfaction out of it. Now... I was free though.  I wanted to sob.  But I wasn't selfish, and couldn't be when all I wanted was to know what the hell happened and why Luke didn't come with us.

It took me a moment to lower the lump in my throat.  Answers... right now, I desperately needed answers.  Knowing my voice was strong enough to talk, I cleared my throat, and glanced away from the window and towards Shannon.  "Okay... please tell me," I said, my voice raspy and tired where I could even hear it. 

Just getting on the highway,  I knew we had a long way back.  That left more than enough time for her to explain what it was that happened.  Searching Shannon's face as she drove, I noticed her eyes didn't leave the road when she gave a deep sigh.  She knew this would be a big deal to tell me and a long explanation.  But she knew how badly I wanted to hear it.

Lights from other cars around us and illuminating billboards, it danced over her features and I saw her purse her lips.  She glanced over to me and meet my pleading eyes.  Her eyebrows dipped in worry and stress over what happened, and what I was sure what Luke was doing now.  Licking her lips, she glanced back to the lane ahead of her on the highway.  I saw her take one last deep breath as she tightened her hands on the wheel before relaxing. 

"Alright," she said, pausing for a long minute, as if trying to come up with a way to tell me.  "Well, Luke and I were at the station, looking through a couple files, even if he wasn't suppose to while on duty.  When his day at work ended, Luke asked me over to dinner."  Glancing to me, wanting to make some eye contact, she continued before she looked back to the road.  "He said he owed it to me for how much help I've been with helping find information.  So, I said yes and I followed Luke back to your house in my own car.  But when we got out and headed inside together... well it was quite ironic. It was like when we found you unconscious with that knife through your hand.  When something terrible happened.  Only this time, when we walked through the door, Clare was sitting on the couch.  She had waited for us to get home to talk to Luke."

I heard Shannon scoff after she paused in speaking and though I was looking at her from the side, I could have sworn I noticed her roll her eyes at what she said next.  "She looked so pathetic, as if asking to feel sorry for her before she even said anything.  She went out of her way to put emphasis on that she had no other choice.  That's all she kept saying - that she didn't have a choice.  And when Luke finally beat it out of her to tell us what it was she was talking about..." she shook her head at the memory (a memory that seemed impossible to accept since all this took place only hours ago).  "Well, Luke didn't handle it when she told him where you were.  Clare explained that she couldn't stand you hating her, that she wanted to get you help, and that your therapist even agreed it would be for the best.  But we knew she was full of complete bull shit.  And... after she explained that... Luke....  He tried keeping it together as best as he could.  He tried, especially after already being on the edge with her.  He... he was so mad but he tried to first beg her.  That maybe he could somehow reverse it by persuading Clare to sign the papers to get your out.  She refused to though.  She said she needed her daughter to get better and that she hopes he understands.  But it didn't work.  He ended up telling her how the place she put you in was already very suspicious.  Apparently, the police were already trying to look into the place but they never could get legal authorization to examine the place extensively."  She gave a heavy sigh and pursed her lips again.  "I think realizing just how much danger you were in at a place where it's already suspicious... was what set him off."

I bit my lip at her words.  It was hard enough, knowing that Luke found out through Clare.  He probably couldn't hide his feelings about that - like he couldn't when they found me after that fight between me and Clare.  It was also quite troubling... to hear how much pain he must have gone through.  With the knowledge that the place she put me in wasn't exactly a five star place.  And it was all this that I knew had gotten to him.  The question was, what did he do when he realized everything?  "What do you mean set him off?" I asked, those words of hers sticking out the most.

Swallowing, she replayed it through her head and that alone was clearly painful for her.  Of what he had done because of that.  I could only agree once she spoke in a much more quiet, even scared voice.  "He...  he, uh, he hit her.  Slapped her across the face."

I felt my jaw drop at hearing that and all I could think was that he wouldn't do that.  He had more control than that, didn't he?  I couldn't even imagine him doing something like that.  Hitting her....  Wow.  I wasn't sure really what to think about that.  Forgetting the fact that this would really make things worse in our case, all I could process was that he somehow couldn't take it. Of course, he was ready to pull a gun on her before.  This shouldn't seem as extreme... but then why did it seem that way to me?

Because he actually did something to her.  Something that could blow his cover just because he couldn't stand the idea anymore of what she did to me.

"Holy shit...." I said in a whisper, looking down from Shannon and to my lap where I continued trying to think through that. 

"Yeah," Shannon said in return, as if agreeing at my startled voice.  Being there, I can only imagine how that must have been for her.  "The strange thing was that she wasn't mad.  She still was trying to defend her case.  Anyway, after he hit her, he told her that she probably sent you to the worst place possible.  He didn't say much more on that because he still didn't want to blow it.  But he did tell her that he didn't want to see her for the rest of the night.  That he wanted her to go some place else for the night.  Then... he said something about getting you out since she couldn't seem to manage to get off her lazy ass for her daughter.  Even after he said what possibly was going on there, Clare was sorry.  But she still wouldn't sign to get you out.  He said he'd do it himself."

Taking a deep breath, I almost laughed at everything she said - just because it was all so sad. Just so much drama and so much to take in... it still never gets old, that surprise at something crazy happening.  At the same time, I could do without another similar incident happening again.  This was the worst yet in my opinion and I would be one pissed off bitch if I get anymore shit handed to me after this.  "So... Clare left the house for the night?" I asked, focusing on that. 

"Yes.  She left just before we did - which was really fast considering we were out the door the minute we had a plan of action of how to get you out."

I was taking everything she said in and found it to be very relevant and informing for the answers I wanted.  But what she brought up, the actual plan of the matter, would be interesting.  How does one come up with a plan to wave a gun around, demanding they release me?  It wasn't like Luke to do something so... risky, so sloppy.  However, it also wasn't like him to smack her across the face either. 

"And... what was the plan?"

She took a deep breath, glancing over to me again and her eyes shinned with a soft and caring look.  But at the same time one that was very serious.  "To go in, try to get you out as fast as possible, and then go back in and expose this place.  It was already suspicious to begin with.  If Clare sent you there, we knew for sure they were up to illegal practices there."

I raised my eyebrow at that.  When Luke was getting me out of that place, he mentioned he would have to stay there.  I didn't really understand it or accept those words until it became apparent when he wouldn't get in the car and leave with us.  It made my mind spin.... why did he stay?  Now, I had an answer.

Even if it was a stupid one.

"Okay, let me get this straight," I said, blinking while I replayed the thoughts in my head.  "He goes in, demands me to be released, and then he calls in back up after me and you leave?"

I watched Shannon nod.  "Yes.  The only risk was him getting in trouble for what he did.  First, that is a restricted place you can't enter without the permission of the building's owner. It's a strange system they have set up but one that managed them to slip by.  He could get in real trouble for that.  Not to mention, he basically held up the whole place to get you out.  Whether he busts the place open or not, he could still be held accountable."

Jesus.... Just Jesus.  I felt myself look away from Shannon.  Even though her eyes were focused on the road, I didn't want her to look over and see my vulnerable expression.  Biting my lip, I turned and faced the window.  Closing my eyes for a moment, I just... took in what she said.  It was all I could do.  He's done so much for me,, risked it... and now, I had a feeling this could get him fired!  Oh god, maybe worse!  Who the hell goes into a place with a gun and demands and walks away without going to jail? 

It was so stupid - so fucking stupid.  There had to have been a better way to have handled the situation.  A more proper way where it was secure his future with his job.  Where he didn't need to risk everything he had for me.  Me!  Someone who should be offering up my life to him, not the other way around!  So dumb... Who the fuck does that?!  Huh?  Why... why would he do that?  He calls in back up to take the place down, without even having authorization.... I mean fuck!  You can't get off easily on that. 

He said he would meet me at home.  Did he not understand his chances?  That this could have destroyed his career, maybe even his future or life?  Taking it to the extreme was I?  I don't know.  I don't.  All I knew was that he better be okay.  He better get home safe.

Shannon cut off my thoughts - that were starting to get out of control anyway - and continued speaking as my eyes rested blankly on the window.  "Luke tried getting you out as quickly as he could because he knew there would be people that wouldn't be willing to let you go.  Because you would be the hospital's most valuable experiment."

I glanced over to where Shannon was looking with worried and intense eyes.  Sensing I was looking at her, she glanced to me for a couple seconds and I could read in her face... that she felt the same way I did.  That she knew how dumb it was.  How crazy, sloppy, and irrational that plan was.  I couldn't help but asking. "Why did you let him go through with this?" I asked in a quieter voice.  "I mean... you know how much this could fuck things up, right?"

She sighed deeply once more and I noticed a strange feature reach her lips.  Her soft lips, that were flat or pursed this whole time, tilted up just slightly after I said that.  Glancing over to me again as she kept her hands steady on the wheel, she said, "Albany, be honest with yourself.  There isn't one thing that man wont do for you.  There wasn't one thing I could do to stop him; I tried the entire drive here. Stupid?  Sure.  But he didn't care about that.  All he cared about was the quickest way to get you out, no matter the consequences."  Looking back to the road, she even gave a small chuckle.  "If that doesn't say the man is crazy about you, I don't know what does," she said.

Though her words brought a certain light to my heart that made me almost thankful, that would have to wait for later.  After all, Luke is still gone.  She at that place where he will have to deal with the police when they get there.  He called back up to take care of putting away the sick work they were doing.  But he shouldn't be there to begin with and I'm sure they would find out what he did to get me out.  He would surely answer for that.  I could only hope he would be okay. 

He said he would see me at home.  That he would be okay....

I promise you, I will be okay.  I promise you his words he said to me echoed in my head, the tone and everything about his voice present in my memory too.  My faith rests with that. 

 _______________________________

___________________________________________

So, what do you think will happen to Luke?  :) I plan to upload sooner next time as well since I should have the time.  But no guarantees.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51K 1.1K 38
| Second book in "His" series | "There's no escape for you Willow! You're a worthless piece of shit!" Ryan yells as he slaps my face. "Nobody would...
2.6K 79 37
2 years after her mother left her, Emma, a young 18 year old girl decides to go after her. Leaving everything she's known her whole life, she takes t...
84.4K 2.2K 44
* This is my first book so don't judge.* Try having the perfect family, perfect life , perfect boyfriend , perfect friends ,but all that changed all...
113K 3.2K 37
Francisca was only 10 years old when her mother decided to pack hers and Francisca's things and leave their home along with Fran's father and 2 olde...