Fractured

By JadedViolet

(Book 2) Now that Luke knows the truth about his wife, there is one thing left to do to in order for Clare to... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Author's Note

Chapter 27

35.3K 684 128
By JadedViolet

Chapter 27

The second I began watching, I couldn't stop.  Staring at the computer screen, the recognizable picture of my living room from the tape reached my eyes.  It was spanning down from the window and took up the majority of the screen as the video started to play.  Of course, I was instantly hooked - not because I was eager to witness my own pain again.  No, I wasn't a weirdo - in that sense, anyway.  It was because this would be some of the best evidence we would get thus far.  And sure enough, it turned out to be. 

It was a blur in a sense as I watched it.  It all came together before me in a terrible repressentating of my fighting abilities.  Every time I went at her, she had the advantage I noticed.  As I noticed my mistakes, my strengths, and my movements, I found it to be very insightful to the fact that I was ashamed of myself.  I should have been able to beat her; I lived on the streets for Christ sake!  I knew I could - hell, I have beat her in the past and before I ran away even.  So why was I such a loser here?  Good fucking question and it made me even more upset at myself when the part came where Clare had me pinned down.  She was in the same position Luke showed me I could get out of.  But I froze up and couldn't do it.  I understood I was only human.  It would have been much cooler in that moment though if I had super powers. 

Throughout watching this, I cringed too many times to count; not at the reminder of what happened but the embarrassment of seeing my mistakes.  However, I smiled at the parts that showed me actually doing something that could reflect even a little of my knowledge of how to kick someone's ass.  I personally found the best highlight of the video to be when I punched her square in the face towards the beginning.  All in all, I had mixed reactions from seeing the footage in some places, just hearing audio in others.

Watching with complete curiosity and excitement nonetheless, I saw this was pure success for us.  The picture of her sending me through the window, her tackling me on the floor.  I was relieved at seeing there was a clear shot of her abuse even when the camera fell to the floor since the lens was aimed sideways up at us.  It captured the cringing point of view of the camera lashing across my face, over and over, when she whipped me with it.  Then... the audio was what did it. 

"You... psychotic piece of shit!" she had growled at me after sending us through the window. The other things that she said were caught too.  Like her screaming, "Fucking tell me now otherwise you wish you had."  And the best part was her saying this directly after: "Tell me.  Now.  Otherwise, this is going through your hand!"

At that point, after she screamed that at me, I was quite shocked to see the screen go black and at first, I figured the computer had mysteriously shut down.  It was as if everything just stopped for a minute all at once and I realized it was only because my hopes were still jumping to new heights.  I narrowed my eyes in on the computer and found that that was where the video cut off.

The camera must have busted after those first few hits across my face and once she screamed those things at me.  However, I knew with just how lucky I am, I needed to take what I could get and we got most of the footage anyway.  It was enough for me to say that it was definitely the best piece of evidence we got so far.  And I was sure that the camera upstairs would only back that up if the same audio captured on it.  We got her yelling at me, punching me, and the most important thing in my opinion was her initiating it from the start.  When she grabbed me and pulled me across the coffee table. Though I knew Luke would have been crushed to see that, I was smiling and proud that we did it.  We got an incredibly solid and dominant form of evidence that would be hard for her to fight.  Whether the price of it was painful, even if I was ashamed of myself for not being able to fight like I should have, in this case, it helped.  It was worth it. 

***

Luke had mixed reactions at hearing just how much evidence that camera managed to capture.  Clearly, he was excited for obvious reasons.  At the same time though, he seemed almost to be a little sick somewhat by it.  As if it backed up the fact that it really happened, and that he would eventually have to review it himself.  Of course, I made him promise he would wait a long time until he watched it. 

Though it was a great change in progress for us, we were approaching a new and very intimidating reality. Today, we were going home and he would face Clare.  We could only pray that she would buy his act.  That she would believe that those cold and dead stares were nothing and that he loved her.  It could change everything if she didn't buy it.  We needed to make tonight count.

I wasn't sure what to expect from it  Whether she was already convinced of the truth and ready to kill us both or if she still had hope and was waiting at home with open arms.  It could be either for all I knew.  That was what scared me, made me bite at my nails all day - something I don't or can't stand to usually do.  It was going to be dangerous, walking back in there, being peaceful and all. Ugh.  Why couldn't it ever be as easy as just shooting the enemy?

Of course, all that had to wait until my appointment with my therapist, Veronica.  It only made me more anxious for when we go home directly after.  We went from his work to the appointment and by the time it would be over, we would be on our way back to our house late in the evening.  So besides being anxious, I welcomed this hour to let loose a bit and relax.  After all, what could be more relaxing than mocking a therapist with absolute bullshit stories. 

"You see, he was upset because I had sex with his best friend.  And then that guy was upset too because I had sex with that guys other friend," I said, giving her one hell of a true account on what happened.  I mean, obviously, I'm the most honest slut in town.  Get with the program, people. 

"So that's why they broke into your house and beat you up?  Put a knife through your hand?"

"Yep," I said, raising my eyebrows and pursing my lips at her.  I shook my head in disgust at the situation, all the while basking in the feeling of pulling one over on my dearest therapist.  Her eyes held mine and showed signs of clear horror at the situation I was describing to her.  After all, how many times do you get a patient describing an issue like this to her?  That I fucked a guy, fucked his friend, and they were so pissed they decided to fuck me over, essentially.  Of course, she quickly had to compose her face which she had temporarily let her expressions control.  Jaw shutting after dropping, she rearranged herself like a good little therapist would. 

"Do you feel any resentment towards what they did to you?" she asked me calmly, slightly uncomfortable but refusing to show it.

I nodded and gave a sigh.  "Yeah, I do.  But honestly, all it makes me want to do is fuck all their other friends.  Just to make them even more angrier with me."  Hiding my smile completely, I sold my act and threw in my guilty eyes at the next ridiculous thing I said.  I leaned forward towards her, and stressed with my eyes and serious tone just how much this next part affected me.  "The messed up part of it all is that when I think about what they did to me, it makes me want to get back at them and screw all their other friends too.  So technically, them beating me up like they did, is now starting to turn me on.  And I don't know how to deal with myself because of it."

Poor lady. She bought it like always.  I almost feel bad every time I talk with her but at the same time, it boasts my confidence with my ability to be a professional liar.  I mean, you need to be damn good to pull that off with someone that is trained to read people. If only Luke had my lying skills, it might help him tonight.  Hopefully, his training for being a cop would somehow benefit him.  Soon enough, he would be facing that devil bitch face. 

I know Luke didn't sleep too well last night.  Yet, during the drive in his cop car on the way home, he seemed more alert than ever.  He sat up straight and acted as if the back of seat would shock him if he dared to rest against it.  His hands were hard and tight on the wheel.  Knuckles white and skin stubborn and bound, I also took note that his eyes looked very much on guard when I glanced over him.  I could clearly see he was nervous and tense.  But other than that, he refused to show me anything else of his expression.  Though that bothered me, that he was forcing those feelings back and bringing forward that blank face, I knew it would help him later.  After all, that's what he needed when he was going to face Clare.  A blank face to hide all the boiling hatred in him and a mask that offered the most love and sympathy a husband can have for his wife.

It wasn't until we were actually pulling into the driveway that the silence and being alone with my thoughts took advantage of me. Hell, maybe it was the sight of the house that did it for all I know - I wasn't sure. All I knew was what it was that just dawned on me.  And that was just what Luke was walking back into.  I refused to let it happen in the way I was sure was apparent to him that only just hit me. 

"Luke," I said, almost in a startled voice at what I realized.  What I realized and would reject, wouldn't let happen.

"What?" he asked, looking over to where my eyes bored into him, worried.  Pulling into the driveway, he forced his attention back to pulling to a stop.  Putting the car in park in the driveway, he turned back towards me to apply his full attention.  "What is it?" he asked in a soft voice.

I swallowed and sighed deeply, looking down and away from those green and questioning bulbs that were just asking for an answer.  I didn't want to talk about it but I needed to - especially when he was about to face her in no more than a few moments after we walk through that front door. 

Looking back up to him, I spoke faster, hating the words and wanting them out of my mouth that much more quickly.  "I don't want you to have sex with her anymore!"

It came out a little differently than I wanted it to.  His reaction was priceless though and I knew that if I wasn't being serious right now, I might have laughed.  His huge eyes, sucking in a deep breath... clearly I caught the dude by surprise. 

"What...?" he asked in a quiet and almost squeaking voice. 

"I mean," I sighed, pausing and trying to word it right.  Licking my lips, I did my best to try to manage his crazy expression. "I'm forcing you back here because we need more evidence.  That doesn't mean I want to force you back into having sex with Clare too. You... you didn't want to come back here.  And now that I made you, the last thing you need on top of that is dealing with having sex again with Clare."  After all, he wanted to run and that meant no more sex too as a bonus.  Convincing him to come back here put him back into that arena and I wasn't going to have it.  He was already coming back here for me, to find evidence... I didn't want him enduring something I was most greatly opposed too.

Seeing the understanding cross his face, I saw him take a deep breath and saw him tense a little more at realizing the subject at hand.  Biting his lip, I saw him glance out the window towards the house before back to me, eyes crossed with concern.  "Albany," he whispered.  "You did not make me come back here, okay?  I choose to because what you said was right.  We couldn't run without everything blowing up in our faces.  We needed to come back.  And if that means continuing to go through... it like before, I will."

"No," I shook my head, gritting my teeth, stubborn on this.  "I don't want to stay here if it means I'm dragging you back just to continue getting raped by that bitch!"

"Albany! This is more important that me having sex with her.  I can deal with that if it means getting more evidence."

"But you hate it!  You... you have to give up a part of yourself that--"

"We already went through this," he said, cutting me off in a soft and caring voice, trying to appeal to my sense as he leaned closer to try to drive his words deeper.  Taking in his fragile eyes, searching my face, his lips ever so lightly tilting at my worry... I took a deep breath and let him speak.  "It's okay.  Sure, I hate it.  I fucking hate it with all of my being.  But I am fine and am okay to deal with it."

"It's different now.  You wanted to run this time, get away, and I'm dragging you back.  I feel like I'm actually physically forcing you back to having sex with her," I said, my voice breaking open.

Before I could even finish speaking, he saw where I saw going with this.  He took off his seat belt and in that action, he was free to turn over more and closer to me.  Even though it was over all his gadgets he was leaning over, he was right there, a foot away from my face next to me in the car.  Grasping my cheek facing furthest away from him, gently, he guided my face to stare directly into his eyes.  My breath catching at the feel of his cold finger tips against my skin, I felt the brush of his breath.  Even with the warm air blowing at us through the active heater, his breath had the warmth to send shivers over me.

"You'd feel even guiltier if I continued having sex with her?"

I swallowed and nodded at him. "Yes.  I don't want you to do it anymore.  And knowing I'm forcing you back into it would--"

"You wouldn't be forcing me back into it," he said sternly, but his eyes offered a kind understanding.  "It wouldn't be your fault.  Either way though, I know it will hurt you.  So I won’t.  I can just... I can avoid it.  I can get out of it."

"You will?" I asked, nodding in hope.

"Yes.  I'll just tell her I need to be at your side every second and sleep on your floor.  It will be the best way of getting out of it, if she thinks the gang is after you again and I'm guarding you again."

"Will it work?" I asked him.

He nodded.  "It should.  That's what happened last time I slept on your floor.  We didn't do... anything during that time," he said, looking uncomfortable and glancing away for a moment.  Just as disgusted as I was at the moment, nonetheless, he continued talking after clearing his throat.  "It will buy us time.  And if she gets impatient, I can come up with another excuse by then.”

I nodded relieved that he wouldn’t do it.  I didn’t want him to, neither did he, and I was glad he would do what he could to make sure she doesn’t seem suspicious about it.  “Good,” was all I could say, glancing down and away from him, nodding still.  Could that have been anymore embarrassing?  God.

“Hey,” he said, getting my attention back to him.  Looking up into his sweet eyes, I found him giving me a soft and gentle smile.  “Everything is going to be okay.”

I couldn’t stop myself from smiling back at him slightly in return.  I was just glad he was here to get through this with me.  Staring into his honest eyes, I had to believe him.  I trusted he could make it alright, that we would be okay.  Feeling his hand slip away from my cheek, he leaned back and fully into the driver’s seat.  Shutting off the car and the heat, he then pulled the keys from the ignition.

“I’m going to talk with her right away,” he said, glancing back to me, that blank face in place again as it should be before he goes in that house to face that crazy woman.  Taking a deep sigh, he searched my eyes once more.  “Pray she doesn’t want to start a war with us,” he said just as he opened up the car door and let in the cold and prancing crispy air. 

Taking off my seat belt, I opened the passenger door.  Pausing for a minute before getting out, I took a hard and deep breath.  Well… hear goes just about everything.

***

I think I felt more nervous for him than he did.  The first few seconds in the house and I was preparing to punch her then run.  Luke could not do that.  He needed to be the most convincing man on the planet at the moment and I was scared solely for that reason.  Clare wasn't that dumb.  It's safe to assume she is highly suspecting Luke of betrayal.  So I knew it would be hard to get her back on his side - and completely.   

Before we walked through the front door, I felt Luke pause beside me though and tell me one last thing before he was about to face her.  The plan was he talks to her and I just go up in my room and wait it out.  Apparently, Luke began to think of what could happen.  "Albany, if you hear anything of what I'm about to say to her... don't believe any of it.  I'm going to say things to her that wont sound great to you but I will say what I must for her to get back on my side.  Do you understand?" he asked me in a soft whisper as I stood beside him, facing the door. But glancing up into his eyes at the moment, the door (and the frigid cold) faded and his words seemed to compel me into curiosity. 

At hearing that, I now kind of wanted to hear what he would say to her.  To me, it appeared as if it will be some pretty intense and loving bullshit he was about to sell if he was worried about my reaction to it.  But I wasn't some immature brat; I could handle and understand what he was about to say to her wasn't going to be real. 

Nodding, I felt my eyebrows were scrunched in interest.  "Of course I do.  Don't hold back for my sake.  I will know what you tell her will be BS.  That's kind of the point: to make it so convincing that even I question your motives."

"Okay, good," he said, relieved slightly and I could tell he already has a few things he knew he would say. 

I soon found out why he decided to clarify that with me.  Because by the time we went inside and found a very edgy Clare, I didn't pause in heading straight up to my bedroom and closing the door hard behind me - creating the impression I was still very upset over what she did to me.  She didn't need to see me cool and collected as to not raise anymore suspicion as to why I wasn't worked up still over what she did to me.  But after my door closed, that was all the work I needed to do.  Now, it was all up to Luke.

I gave Jack, who was sitting sadly in his cage, a very welcoming hello.  Walking into my room, his head that rested on his blanket in his cage lifted instantly at seeing I was home. His tail going crazy with happiness at seeing me, he leaped from his cage and scrambled across the floor to me.  He was jumping up against me anxiously as I bent down to accept his warm welcome. Smiling, Jack was something I could always look forward to when it came to returning home.  He was my little crutch in a sense.  Wrapping my arms around my little puppy, I lifted him up in my arms, excited to see him, as I made my way towards my bed. I kissed his fuzzy head and refused to let him leave me as I rubbed his fur when he came to lay in my lap - partially because I missed him and because I wanted him with me during this moment of uncertainty with where Clare's interests lay. 

Of course, I wasn't able to focus everything I had on Jack. I could only offer him my hands to rub his back and ears.  Everything else became dedicated to the sounds I heard behind the other side of my door and the walls.  I listened intently the moment I heard the stairs creak, the moaning of the boards....  Both of them were coming upstairs, I could tell, and it suggested Clare wanted to talk with him up in their room. 

Licking my lips in anticipation, knowing I would be able to make some words out if they talk in there, I became incredibly nervous when I heard their bedroom door open and then close behind what I knew to be the happy husband and wife.  Sighing deeply, I knew this was the moment that mattered.  Luke could be so vulnerable with his expressions sometimes... I could only hope he would be able to manage to convince her that those looks he gave her, that intense reaction to seeing me, was nothing. 

Then finally... what we have been anticipating all day happened.  The first words were spoken in muffled tones and I could barely make out what was said.  Luke was the first to speak.

"Do you... know just how much I care for you?" he asked her, his voice soft and I could barely make it out.  The words weren't something that caught my attention though.  It was his tone of voice.  A gentle, loving, deep tone I made out, even if the words were muffled.  Did I want to bury my head in my hands and groan furiously? Yeah.  Who starts out with those words?  Apparently, doofus does.  In my opinion, a bad way to start.  But he was spot on with the melody of seeping emotions.

Her words in return were much louder and more clearer for me to hear - probably because her voice was challenging and angry, aggressive.  "Apparently, you don't care worth shit for me," she stabbed at him in that fast and menacing tone. 

"Yes I do," he said sternly in a louder voice that made it much more clear for me to hear.  Either way though, I didn't find where I was sitting to be satisfying enough as I began to listen.  Moving Jack off my lap to my bed, I moved towards the wall we shared.  Succeeding in making no floor boards creek, I found that it was much better to hear once Luke continued.  "You understand your daughter's position right now, don't you?" 

Pressing my body against the wall, I rested against the cool texture of the drywall, tilting my head to the side as I pushed my ear against the wall, their voices giving off an echoing effect I could hear much better.  I was thrilled to hear Luke didn't need to stress anymore of his loyalty to her; he was giving it his all, from what I could hear in his voice.  His face and expressions were something I wouldn't know but so far, he had my vote of doing a good job for the most part.

Clare didn't answer him and he took that opportunity to jump back in.  "She could die, Clare.  Any day, someone could kill her.  You know it gets under my skin when someone physically abuses her because she is already so... damaged.  I can't stand anything happening to her and I just want to help.  Yet, these assholes just wont quit!" He had a hard time with words, I noticed again.  So he put a chunk of that effort into expressing his disgust about what happened to me in the tone of his voice.  It was cruel and hateful towards what he was talking about with the gang expressing his frustration perfectly in my opinion.  "I lost it yesterday, Clare.  I wanted to fuck up and kill whoever did that to her.  After I took her to go get help as fast as we could, I nearly drove off a damn bridge, I was so mad," he said, his voice quieting in that last moment and could feel the intimacy he involved in his voice. "Hell, I nearly pulled the gun out the moment I saw her because I wanted to shoot everyone of those fuckers in the face for doing that to her.  I was so upset... I didn't bother to register the fact that my wife was hurt," he scoffed in a humorless tone.  "Hell, maybe I just didn't want to accept that this could be happening to you too.  The one woman I loved more than anything and needed.  If I let myself come to terms with them... hurting you....  I was ready to go on a rampage at seeing Albany hurt again.  I would have gone on a killing spree if I concentrated on you.  I'm sorry baby.  I'm sorry I couldn't comprehend what they did to you.  Because I just couldn't handle my wife being in harms way too."

It took a moment for Clare to answer him.  But when she did, I could hear signs of her caving in.  I couldn't blame her.  His eyes had the power to compel you into believing him, I knew and I felt myself smiling at realizing he must have been selling it with his expressions. 

I heard her voice break slightly.  "Luke... I... I just want to feel like I matter to you."

"You do!  Christ," he said, willing his voice too break as well, I could hear.  "You're all I want.  You're all that matters in that special place in my heart.  H-How could you think you don't matter to me?!"

"Because all you seem to care about anymore is your work, that gang, and Albany's well being.  W-Where am I in all this?"  Damn.  Pathetic needy bitch.  Understandable from her perspective but I wasn't in the mood for giving her sympathy. 

It took him a minute to respond and I could hear their voices drift a little and could only assume they moved somewhere - most likely to sit on the bed - as they continued to talk.  "I'm not trying to avoid you, ignore you, or put you to the side.  I'm doing what I must at the moment to ensure your daughter's safety because I know that's what matters to you.  Even for a while to come, I'm going to have to continue sleeping on her bedroom floor.  Does it mean I want to?  No.  I want to sleep with you, in our bed, and I want to spend all of my time with you.  I'm just doing this until she is absolutely safe and after having them break in again and hurt you both, I need to end this shit before it gets worse and before I'm able to dedicate all my time to you again.  Because trust me sweetheart, the last thing I want is to spend time away with my new wife."    His voice sounded genuine, I knew he couldn't do any better clearly if she was buying this - which seemed easier than I thought it would be.  

"You really mean that?" she asked him, her voice full of hope, I could hear.

"Yes.  Yes.  Clare, you're the woman of my dreams.  And after all this drama is over, I want to take you on a second honeymoon to make it up to you.  After all the issues with the gang are done, I want to sweep you away again like the day I married you and made you mine."

I heard her softly chuckle and her voice, when she spoke, was thick with emotion.  At this point, it started to make me sick.  Of course, I had a strange feeling that this was about all Luke could handle.  I knew he used his skills as a cop during this and pulled through... but with him that can't handle it well when she did so much destruction to us, he just wanted to shoot her.  I guess that was good then that their conversation didn't seem to last much longer.  It wrapped up pretty quickly after that, which seemed to be one huge relief off my shoulders.  Luke told Clare he needed to spend the night in my room and because neither of us had gotten much sleep, that he was about to head to bed soon.  First though, I could tell he felt uneasy leaving it like that, and with the silence that followed, the only explanation was the disgusting concept that they were making out.  And let me tell you, I was grossed out and pained.

While all this was occurring though... something about it just seemed... off.  The conversation wasn't too explosive, not that intense... not even that long of a discussion and though that was great to hear her give in so quickly... it just made me lower my eyebrows.  Like... why wasn't she more upset over it?  Why didn't she push for more of an explanation of those cold stares?  Their conversation seemed very vague.  Though Luke did what he could and what I perceived to be his best considering the circumstances, I came to the conclusion that maybe something wasn't right.  Maybe Clare was just too suspicious at this point to buy any of it. But then again, why pretend as if she was okay with everything?  I honestly wasn't sure where I was on the matter.  I could tell Luke was in the same position and in a desperate move, most likely just resulted in physically showing his wife his loyalty.  Even if it just meant kissing her for a number of minutes. 

I went to lay back down on my bed, processing everything that was just said between them as I let my hands pet Jack along his fur.  Unlike me and Luke, Jack's only concern at the moment was making my petting hand last on him.  Sometimes I wished I was a dog.  Four legs, no drama, no stress.  Perfect.  And dogs didn't need to ponder over the guy they loved kissing their mother at the moment like I was.  It was disgusting and wouldn't get old; it would only become more and more repulsing to me.  Luke said he wouldn't give in to sex.  But even kissing her for as long as he had bothered me.  Of course, mother or not, our enemy or not, I had no business in who he kisses.  He wasn't my man. 

***

It seemed to take forever until that monster unleashed him from her chamber - or at least, it felt that long for me.  Long enough for them to have sex?  Well... maybe a quickie but I doubted it.  If Luke was going to have sex with that piece of shit, he knew he would have really had to have committed.  So I could only be thankful he didn't.  That didn't mean it didn't bother me. 

Finally, I heard my bedroom door open and close and my eyes lifted from Jack and the bed where I was laying again.  Finding him standing in front of my now closed door, I noticed his clothes were a little ruffled and he looked relieved yet at the same time uncomfortable, which gave me some form of satisfaction I guess. 

"It's about time," I mumbled under my breath, looking back down towards Jack where he laid in a comfortable sleep. 

Staring down and refusing to find his eyes, I felt my cheeks start to heat without my permission and could feel myself scowl along with it.  Fucking emotions.  So what, the dude kissed her for a long time.  Big deal.  Trying to compose my face though, I felt myself tense up when I heard him finally walk closer towards me until I felt the bed under me dip towards where he decided to sit down on the edge.  Hoping my face was clear enough, I looked up at him in that little distance apart.  Internally groaning, I sat up from where I was laying and crossed my legs as I faced him. 

His soft green eyes... they appealed to me in a worried manner but also a confused one.  "What's wrong?" he whispered to me, leaning in toward my ear so Clare wouldn't hear from wherever she was (if I could hear what they were saying, we needed to be quiet now). 

"Nothing," I shook my head.  "Just didn't think a damn make out session was called for is all.  Especially when I am sitting here, waiting for you to get back and tell me how it went," I mumbled in a neutral tone under my breath, hopefully he wouldn't hear.

But he did - and even recognized those were excuses.  Searching my face after he caught what I said, I noticed a smug and playful smile cross his lips he was trying to almost fight but failed.  I felt the bed shift slightly again but it was only because it was in sync with his movements as he leaned forward more.  I could nearly feel his body and his breath brushed over my cheek.  His lips only but one pure inch away from mine, I eyed them in want and saw them smirk up even more at me when his eyes caught mine. 

"Albany... are you jealous?" he whispered just barely, in a very raspy and almost hungry voice.  Though with his almost nonexistent distance, smug smirk, excited eyes... he almost appeared to have looked hopeful.

"No," I shook my head and surprised myself by smiling back without being able to help it.  I tried to clear my face though and tried again as I whispered to him again another, "No."

"For some reason, I don't believe you.  Especially when I know you heard everything that was said and there was no reason for you to wait up for me.  Not to mention," he said, sighing heavily against me and nearly making me moan.  "I assume you have a good guess why I would bother kissing that bitch - because I was uneasy about how well she was taking it all and wanted to put in one last push."

"Then I take it back," I said, biting the inside of my lip in embarrassment and felt the flood of red take over my cheeks.  Dumbass me... he caught me.  But honestly, at this point,  recalling what occurred between Clare and him, there was more to worry over.  "Anyway," I said, looking down and getting back on topic, "I thought you did a great job."

Glancing up, I saw he was smiling lightly. I noticed he maybe even seemed a little shocked himself at his forwardness before as he moved back slightly from me.   Letting his head clear, he looked back up at me after glancing away for a minute.  "Um, thank you," he said, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand that wasn't propping him up.  "But I have this feeling... it didn't go over well with her.  I'm just uneasy about it," he whispered.  "I don't know what it was because I saw the sincerity in her eyes, that she believed me and trusted me.  But... something just feels wrong."

I nodded in agreement because that was my first impression at just how accepting she was of everything.  "That's what I got out of it too."  It was honestly something that I didn't know how to interpret.  She took it all too well and there was something that feels very suspicious over her reaction.  Yet at the same time, why would she fake it?  And according to Luke, she seemed incredibly understanding and accepting.  All I knew was that we were safe for now I suppose.  But it would call for an even more critical eye on Clare. Joy.  What's better than more problems between us?  By now, it was normal though.  And when you take that and compare it to what was about to happen... what was about to happen would be nowhere near the normal we were use to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

690 98 22
Mature Audiences: Everything happens in 3's, a murder, a lost love, and a fantasy, many years in the making... But will she survive when all three of...
2.6K 79 37
2 years after her mother left her, Emma, a young 18 year old girl decides to go after her. Leaving everything she's known her whole life, she takes t...
534 19 22
When a new and mysterious guy comes to Aqua's school and seems to know everything about her, even her best kept secrets, Aqua tries to find out who t...