Towards the Light

By chione-chama

[Atem x Reader] [Dragon!AU] You were meant to sing for all the eternity to preserve peace and harmony. Yet th... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 19

834 30 22
By chione-chama

Atem gulped. He looked upon a person holding the blade. It was an iron-clad knight, one similar to the ones he fought with earlier. He glared at them, mentally searching for his sword.

''Get up," the knight said. He was still standing above him, yet the words weren't directed at him. Atem looked towards the Priesstess. Kisara was held by another knight, his armour glowing red in the dim light, with her arms behind her back, and mouth covered by an armored hand. The knight was ready to slit her throat, or so Atem thought.

The Priestess nodded and slowly rose.

''We have Dragon Priestess, let's go to the King," the knight said, jerking Kisara up. ''Kill him."

Atem felt the pressure on his throat decreasing. He jumped back, before the human could react, and kicked his shin. He stood up and hit his hand with his palm and the sword clattered on the floor. Atem snatched it away and reversed their roles.

The bloodpressure hit his head, and Atem staggered. He breathed in and out, trying to clear his mind. The second knight, which Atem forgot for a while, was already running up to him.

''No!" Kisara shouted. ''He's my bodyguard! He has to go with me," she declared. Atem saw her clenched fists. He tightened his grip on the sword and drove the hilt deeper under the helmet, yet still not enough to cut through the skin. ''If you kill him, I'll kill myself."

At her last words, the Red Knight, dropped his sword. Atem could hear him cursing under the helmet. He decided to do the same, and soon they all stood firm, still alarmed, ready to take an action.

Atem understood whom they wanted. The Mt. Tap Turpu had only a few other priestesses, it was reasonable for them to take them all. He wasn't sure, why Kisara wanted to keep him alive. He didn't want to keep himself alive, much less a Priestess, he had a little connection to. And to lie on the top of that.

The Red Knight, since they agreed to go, put a handcuffs on their wirsts. Atem didn't even try to break them. He knew humans wouldn't put on a normal handcuffs, he just wondered how long they'll have to wear them.

They followed the knight through the corridors. Now they weren't illuminated by the pure light, they were dark and filled with smoke, hitting their nostrils hard. Atem noticed that he couldn't smell things so well as he used to. Afterall, he was no longer a dragon, not even a half. A human. Just a weak human, so easily crushed. If he whished to be optimistic, he'd say that at least he had his sword by his side. But the knight, that guarded their backs, took it from him. Atem doubted that he would get Osiris back soon.

They were led to the main Temple and through the terrace, into a library. Grand Library, Yugi liked to spend time within it, now at least wasn't in flames, like some other buildings he saw. They walked through the marble floor, in complete silence, only the sound of their steps resonated through the space. Atem looked up. The Grand Library was truly a magnificent place. _____ would be amazed by the greatness of the place. He felt a sting of pain in his chest, and waved the thoughts away. He focused on his steps.

They were brought to the smaller room, filled with books. In the centre of the room, stood a man, with his silver hair flowing down his back. His silver armour was splashed with blood of the dragons, as well as his deep red cape. He was tapping his fingers on the table, covered with various maps.

He turned his gaze to the newcomers.

''My King," the knights kneeled. Atem and Kisara stood still.

''Finnaly," the King spat. He glared at his subjects in silent fury. He looked over the Priestess and Atem. ''You know what we are after. Give it to us, and we'll go our separate ways."

He was looking at the expectantly.

''It cannot be found," Kisara said, desperation clear on her voice. ''You've had foolishly started a war, over something that doesn't exist!"

''Obstinete woman!" the King hit the table with his fist, making his subjects tremble. He glared at them. ''I've been told it's the dragons treasure. It is there somethere. You'd better tell me."

Atem looked between the two. What was it, that the human king wanted so much? Something so important to start a war over it. Kisara looked at the King with a deep frown.

''It's lost. Lost..." she reapeated.

The King fumed at them. He took a deep breath and sat down with a clank of his armour.

''Let's try once again. Where is the Key, that would lead me there?" his voice was quiet, filled with something sinister, that send goosebumps down Atem's spine. ''Don't ask how do I know. I have my sources. They told me it is in the Library," he looked around. His voice low. ''Yet I still cannot find the Sword of Obelisk!"

Kisara trebled beside him. She shook her head once, then twice. She mumbled something under her breath. Atem had a little time recover from his shock. This human was looking for a legendary sword? Of course, the Priestess and he himself knew where supposedly it should be.

The Sword of Obelisk should lay by the last King of Dragons. Yet at his grave, within the crypts beneath the Grand Library, there was no sword. Only an empty tomb with three empty spaces to be filled. One for the Sword of Obelisk, one for the Sword of Osiris, one for the Crown of Ra.

The Sword of Obelisk, the legendary sword only the King shoud be able to wield. He would not cut, unless one of a right blood should use it. But it was also a symbol of the rightful King.

The Crown of Ra, is said to be the most ancient artifacts of all three. The golden crown, showed the way to those who were lost. A compass, able to show anything the heart desired.

The Sword of Osiris was given to Atem by Pegasus. Legends told a story of a great warrior, the right hand of the King of all Dragons, that died serving him. He fought using a human weapon, just an iron sword. After his death, his dragons scales had been melted and mixed with the iron, making it the third artifact.

Pegasus told him, the sword would be fitting for him, for his bodyguard, to have a sword with such a meaning.

Atem cringed, thinking how foolish he was to belive Pegasus. He clenched his fist, focusing on the second of artifacts. The Crown of Ra, that showed the way, could be of a use to him. If he had it, he could find Yugi and his friends.

Besides, he couldn't let humans have the artifacts. For the timebeing though, he had to compromise. He had to find Yugi, no matter what. He didn't know yet how would he find remaining two artifacts, but he would find a way. He took a deep breath, and looked at the King.

''I'll help you. I'll bring you the Sword of Obelisk."

***

Your horse pranced through the forest, making everything blurry around you. You didn't look back, even though it was so tempting. How far were you already? Far enough to be out of Pegasus' reach? Time flew by you, as you galloped forward, and the sun was fast on the horizon. Smell of smoke hit you nostrils awhile ago, making tears run down your cheeks. You made no move to wipe them off, few first times turned out to be useless. The wall of fire behind you was smaller every step you took, yet the smoke was ever present.

The forest started to thin out and it was easier to navigate the horse. You noticed it was getting tired, but you wanted to go as much farward as you could. Away from the Mt. Tap Turpu, away from the soldiers, away from death.

Half hour later, you stopped the horse and with wobbly legs you slipped on the ground. You were so tired, you were breathing heavily. Your head was spinning and you had to hold onto the tree. You gave in and fell on your knees. You felt your stomach turning violently, in the end you could stop the nausea.

You leaned on the tree, finally wiping all the dirt off your face. You had no idea where you were, or where to go. North? East? Where was even the Khaidu Lake? Maybe you should just stay here and let them get you. You didn't have anything to lose now. Where were your friends?

You watched as the horse sniffed the ground, probably looking for water.

''I'm sorry..." you heard your own hoarse voice. ''I don't have any water."

The animal looked at you and snorted. You smiled weakly, realizing that in fact, you had nothing, but your clothes with you. Your throat clenched and a shiver run through you. You had nothing. Yet again you were alone, with nobody to guide you. With nobody to bring you food and water. With nobody to lean on.

You sobbed. You couldn't stop yourself. You put your head in you hands and cried into them.

Time has passed while you poured your hear out. You weakly stood up and walked towards the horse. You patted it and watched as it muzzled into your hand. With your other hand you wiped off your tears.

''It's just me and you now," you said in a whisper. You smiled. Nobody could hear you, but the horse. ''I'm scared. So scared. I-I don't know where to go and there is nobody her to help me... But I have to manage. I must push forward."

The horse was looking at you as if it understood what you said.

''I want to... I want to live."

You sat in the saddle and chose a direction on an impulse. You had no idea if you were going West, South or North. It didn't matter. You wanted to live. It was only one thought that pushed you forward.

You were worried about Yugi and Jonouchi, his sister and her husband. Yet you belived that they were fine. They could help each other, and you firmly belived that they would be fine whatever were to come. You were worried about Laegil, yet you belived she'll be alright. She could change into a dragon anytime. She'll find a way out. Coming back meant to be a burden.

Your mind was occupied with Atem though. It was over. For you and for him. Maybe if you weren't so naive and childish, you could part with peace. Maybe the pain would be lesser, maybe you wouldn't feel so much despair, maybe your heart would be able to push the guilt away. But you were stupid and made unnecessary qualms. You said too many words, that you couldn't take back, nor could you apologize for them.

Now, that the storm has calmed, you noticed you didn't know all that much about him. You wished you could. You wished for more time spent with him, but it was too late. You wasted your chance, waiting for him to come to you last few weeks. And you hadn't noticed that it was you who should come to seek him.

He told you to live.

To live. How? You wondered. You wished he told you. What did you know about living? Living with people, like a person. It was a surreal thought. Nobody taught you how to live. You were only taught how to exist. Exist as the Vayis, a singing maided, forsaken for the world's peace and harmony.

Could you live, now that you were free of your cage? Free of any responsibilities that rested on your back. Free of any debts. Free of any goal. No, not free. Lacking a goal on your own. What were you to do now?

Just push forward. Live.

That's what you told yourself, leaving everything behind. And if you and your friend shall meet again, then so be it. Maybe in time, waiting for the reunion, you could learn how to fill the void within you.

***

The sun was fast on the sky, when they decided to make a break. Hiding within the bushes the group sat down. Nobody spoke a word, everyone to engaged in their own thoughts.

Yugi sighed heavily. One thought weighted on his mind. Horrible thought that he didn't want to belive, but here it was. Stalking his mind without an intention to leave. Afterall he could transform into a dragon.

Once again his mind played scenes from just hours ago. He and Laegil separated. He didn't know why she run in the different direction, taking _____ with her. He saw them when he was just by Jonouchi. He made a move to turn back, but his friend stopped him.

Then he heard the shouts, he thought he saw his brother but he couldn't be sure of anything. He felt that the copies were dead as his magic returned to him.

''Let's go!" Jonouchi shouted to him. ''We'll meet them later!"

Yugi was hesitant. Run after woman, search for his brother or go with his friends? The choice was made for him, as the mass of fighting knights sucessfully kept them from moving into that direction. He followed the blondie. He just hoped that they will remeber that they have to meet at Khaidu Lake. He hoped they will be alive to show up there.

The group mouthed the horses and galloped away. They weren't lucky. By the end of the staircase they met a troop of Westenra army. At least twenty men stood there. Yugi frowned and stopped his horse. The troops were protecting someone. In the middle of them stood a clothed figure, with a crystal in his hands. The crystal shone with dangerous purple light. Yugi could only guess, that it was some kind of dark magic.

The knights noticed them. They quickly set up a formation shielding the magician. There was no helping it, they had to fight. Yugi lifted his hand and chanted a spell. Tree roots shoot from the ground sucessdully surrounding the troops. If possible, Yugi wanted to keep the casualites low.

Jonouchi was quick on his legs, and how pushed forward with his sword attacing there knights that got away from the the tree roots. Blood spilled on the ground. The magican was still there, without a flinch he continued his spell.

Then it hit him. The thought that stayed at the back of his head. The magican was chanting a spell that forbid dragons to transform.

''Jonouchi! The crystal!" He shouted and lunged forward. Jonouchi, being far stronger than a simple human cut through them. Soon enough, with Yugi;s assistance he was before the magician. The hooded figure jerked away, still holding the crystal in his hands. Surrounded by the two of them, he had no way out.

Jonouchi sprung with a swish of his blade, knocking the crystal out of his hands. The ball shattered into thousand of small crystals, pushing them back with a wave of magic.

And then Yugi felt it. Deep within his heart, a strange almost foreign feeling, a the same time so familiar. Something so nostalgic, bursting right from his soul, wishing to be freed. And he did. He felt his limbs harden, scales covering his whole body. Something sprung out of his back. Wings, he thought. And there he stood, hovering over his firends and the enemy, covering them with shadow.

He was a dragon again.

He felt overwhelming happiness. He could change angain, be a full dragon. Not just a half. He remembered how jelous he was when he saw Atem in his dragon form not so long ago. A beautiful, scaled dragon, with mightyness and pride many would envy.

He and his friends got away, with him soaring through the sky.

He couldn't keep this form for too long yet, guessed. He got exhausted quickly.

''Yugi!" Jonouchi shook his arms when he was again in his human form. He was sad that it ended so quickly, but he still felt the fire within him. He knew he could change again. ''How did you do that?!"

''I don't know," he said looking at his hands, a moments ago larger and clawed. ''Last time... Atem was able to transform, because ______ did something with her magic."

''Maybe she's around?" Shizuka prompted. Yugi thought it was amazing that the Vayis girl was so powerful that she could bring back his form.

They started to search, throught the bushes, in hopes of finding the girl and Laegil. It was no use. They were nowhere to be found.

Yugi frowned. He remembered that Atem couldn't change into dragon anytime after the fight with the Hunters. He was pretty upset with that, he could no longer feel the fire within his soul. He was sure of it. Yet Yugi could still feel it.

Yugi felt cold sweat on his whole body. He remebered.

''Yes," said Priestess Kisara, many years ago. ''There is a way for you to regain your forms. One of you will have to die. Then your soul will become one, and the dragon form shall be regained."

''No..."Yugi uttered, falling on his knees. His friends looked at him confused. ''It's impossible... no...!"

His body shook, as the realization dawned on him. He felt tears sliding from his eyes.

''Y-Yugi? What is it?" Jonouchi asked in concern, kneeling beside him.

Yugi only shook his head.

***

''Alaisdair?" Laegil asked once again. ''Why are you...? Whaa?"

''Shouldn't you be in a cave...?" he asked in confusion.

They stared at each other for a long time. Minutes passed, and neither of them moved.

Laegil stood up slowly, her eyes never leaving his icy blue. She was reminded once again how they could shine, even in darkness. She never thought she could see him again. Her friend. Her...

The ground shook, pulling them out of their trance.

She took another look at him, and it hit her.

''Why are you in humans armor?" she asked, narrowing her eyes.

''Well, everybody has to manage somehow, you know?" He shrugged, with bored look.

''Don't joke with me. Humans? Really?'' she huffed and grasped his collar. Alaisdair looked at her with a frown, and shook of her hands.

And once again they stood, not knowing what to do. Fight? Be happy of a reunion. Laegil unconciously rubbed the pedant, which didn't go unnoticed by the man.

''You still have it?" he asked, looking away.

''Yeah,'' she stopped and looked at her feet.

The ground shook again, this time wierd kind of energy hit them and pushed back. Laegil felt something sinister, when the wave went through her. And then as if the air was cleared she felt fire in her veins again.

''Huh? That is...oh," Alaisdair muttered and clicked his tounge.

''What 'oh'?"

''Nothing."

''Alaisdair," she threatened glaring at the taller male. He glanced at her and rolled his eyes.

Laegil huffed and looked around. The soldiers were still fighting, but then she noticed something else. There were dragons, finnaly in their full forms, getting upper hand.

''Oh," she said and smirked. So she was right, there was something that prevented dragons to transform, and that something was now gone. Good. She transformed, feeling powerful again.

In the distance, much to her surprise, some kind of machinery. Humans could built many wierd thigs to make up for their small size, and this was one of those. It looked like giant bow, taking into account large, iron arrow.

In an instant they found themselves surrounded by Moratu Kingdom knights.

''Hey, Vilhjalm, finish the dragon off," one of them shouted. Laegil took her stance, ready to transform any moment. She glared at Alaisdair, it was his last chance. Was he with dragons or with humans? She didn't see his face. What was he thinking after all these year? Did he hate her?

''Aah, it's no use," Alaisdair sighed and looked over his shoulder to look at her.

''Hey!'' the same knight shouted. ''What do you thin you're doing? Do your voodo and kill the big lizard!"

Laegil growled at the insult and invoked the fire within. She looked at the trembling knight and released the fire.

''Gods, Laegil!'' Alaisdair cursed moving aside. ''It would be nice if you tried to not burn me too. You know I'm not too good with fire. Geez."

She huffed at him. He was honestly pissing her off. What the heck was he even doing?

A few soldiers still stood, with their weapons in their hands. They wre brave, she thought, or foolish.

Then she noticed a figure of Alaisdair changing. Finnaly, she she huffed, he was transforming into a dragon. A moment later beside her stood a beatiful, blue scaled dragon. She felt a blast of cool air, that surrounded him. He was different than her, bigger and more slender.

He was a dragon from South, from a land called Daksina. Her mother once told her, that there are dragons that use ice instead of fire, that lived far away, in south. She never belived, because it was so strange. But then he appeared. Lost and confused, in wierd lands deprived of ice he knew so well. And Laegil was curious about the newcomer, a boy of pale skin and blue eyes. Nobody really liked him – a dragon, that wasn't immune to fire and instead could freeze everything around.So she became his only friend.

Alaisdair made a step, and on the ground where he pervously stood, a thick cloth of ice appeared.

They flew into the air. Laegil could hardly remember how to fly, it was so long ago since she was able to soar through the sky. Too late she heard a swish of an arrow in the air. It pierced her arm with a astonishing strengt that made her cry of pain. She lost control of her body and started to fall down.

The blood dripped from her arm, glistering on her scales as she tried to regain the balance. Unfortanetly, the arrow teared one of her wings making it impossible for her. She got prepared for a hard landing, and she got it.

Alaisdair tried to make her landing a little bit less painfull. They got tangled in each other, breaking the branches of the trees break. They froze a few meters above the ground, simultanously changing their forms to humans. The tree however wasn't so forgiving and broke, making them tumble on the ground.

''Laegil?" the ice dragon breathed out, sitting up on the branches and trees.

''Yeah?" she ashed clutching her arm.

''You're an idiot."

''Oh, shut up."

  ~~***~~

  Yay! I've finished! I never thought writing four differents POV's could be so exhausting! That's why it's taking so much time. Anyway~! The gang split, everyone going their way, but don't worry they are going to reunite onde day for sure! And everything is just a mess and chaos, hehe.

Anyway, meet my second OC baby, Alaisdair Vilhjalm of Daksina Lands.

And I've got another present for you, as a thank you for the support! Here's a map I sketched, to keep up where the gang is.

  Also, as a practice in digital art, Atem, Laegil and Alaisdair, and also my image of the reader (ask me for the links in priv, the images are way too big to fit in here(
uff, that's it for today! Bye!  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Past By Akumu Chi

Fanfiction

23.1K 761 31
After seeing her eyes, I couldn't help but fall deeply in love with them. After hearing her voice, I couldn't help but get caught listening to it. Af...
613 14 6
A series of Yugioh x reader oneshots. Most, if not all will be lemons. I'm most certainly open to requests! But these one shots will only feature: Yu...
9.1K 158 26
A lot of people think they know almost everything about their life. You also thought that also but you were wrong. You were a part of someone's life...
33.2K 865 17
Yami recently broke things off with Tea after he realized that they were too different. Due to his deppression, his friends try cheering him up by in...