Break The Cycle

By TheDarkSwanRises

Captain Swan AU. Killian Jones and his brother, Liam, grew up around alcoholism and abuse. After their mother... More

Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7:
Chapter 8:
Chapter 9:
Chapter 10:
Chapter 11:
Chapter 12:
Chapter 13:
Chapter 14:
Chapter 16:
Chapter 17:
Chapter 18:
Chapter 19:
Chapter 20:
Chapter 21:
Chapter 22:
Chapter 23:
Chapter 24:
Chapter 25:
Chapter 26:
Chapter 27:
Chapter 28:
Chapter 29:
Chapter 30:
Chapter 31:
Chapter 32:
Chapter 33:
Chapter 34:
Chapter 35:
Chapter 36:
Chapter 37:
Chapter 38:
Chapter 39:
Chapter 40:
Chapter 41:
Chapter 42:
Chapter 43:
Chapter 44:
Chapter 45:
Update
Chapter 46:
Chapter 47:
Chapter 48:
Chapter 49:
Chapter 50:
Chapter 51:
Chapter 52:
Chapter 53:
Chapter 54:
Chapter 55:
Chapter 56:
Chapter 57:
Chapter 58:
Chapter 59:
Chapter 60:
Chapter 61:
Chapter 62:
Chapter 63:
Read please
PLEASE READ

Chapter 15:

665 42 0
By TheDarkSwanRises

Emma POV:

Killian was being amazing. Whatever I did to deserve him being in my life, I would never know. Before leaving Boston, I assured Henry that I would be back every week to see him. I also got a call from that lawyer, who agreed to meet with me so we could discuss my case.

The next day, that was where I was.

"So, Miss Swan," he began, "you gave Henry up when you were eighteen?"

"Correct." I replied.

"I hate to ask this, but can you explain to me why you were in jail?" He said.

"Well," I cleared my throat, "I was seventeen, not making a lot of good choices. My ex, Henry's father, had stolen some watches and wanted to sell them. He gave me one and told me to stay put while he took care of it. Then he apparently called in an anonymous tip and and I was arrested and framed for the whole thing."

"I'm terribly sorry, I do believe you. I have a knack for being able to tell when someone is lying. Besides, you seem like you've gotten your life together since then. A good job, but you do seem to have moved around a lot. And while your job does pay well, it isn't fit for raising a child. You must do quite a bit of traveling, and it can be dangerous should any of these bail jumpers decide to retaliate." He explained to me.

"So what do you suggest? If I need to change jobs I will, and I'll sign a long term lease for a bigger apartment. I just want my son." I asked of him.

"Well, moving to a bigger home is a start. As for your job, do you particularly like working with law enforcement?" He questioned.

"I've never done anything else." I said.

"How about something a little safer and more stable. Prison guard, police officer, probation officer?"

"Actually, I've always been curious about being a probation officer. They handle people on parole right?"

"And then some. It would be a good fit. It pays well for a couple of people such as you and your son, it's safe and stable. I can help you with some connections if you'd like, I'd say you'd be a good fit."

"Yes! I would love that! Thank you!"

"Alright then, we'll meet weekly to discuss your progress, and I'll call you if I need any more information. In the mean time, look into a new living situation."

"Yes, sir. Thank you." I shook his hand and left, feeling like I was on cloud nine.

Killian was at work right now, so I texted him instead of calling.

Killian! He's great, he seems eager to help me. He said I just need to get a job more fitting for a parent and move somewhere bigger.

It was a while before he replied, so I went home and started looking for somewhere to move to. I wrote down a few addresses and phone numbers when my phone dinged.

I told you, Emma. You're going to be great. I can help you tomorrow if you want. I have some vacation still available to me.

That would be awesome! You can stay the night if you want, and we can look in the morning.

Sounds good. See you tonight x

I started calling places and making appointments, tomorrow I would see six different apartments and houses. I wanted to buy, it was now a goal since I would have a son, but it would have to wait until I had enough for a down payment.

The next day I was up bright and early, Killian and I made some breakfast and then we were off. The first one was a two bedroom apartment, the area was nice and the complex was gated. The apartment itself was great too, two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a living room, and a spacious kitchen. It also came with a porch. I told her I would consider my options at the end of the day and call her if I decided to move in.

The next apartment wasn't that great. It was in a safe area, just not as nice. The apartment itself had a handful of flaws, linoleum coming up in the bathroom, very old buildings. When the lady showing us around wasn't looking I shook my head at Killian. I thanked her and crossed it off the list as soon as we left.

The next one was a town home, two bedrooms one bathroom upstairs and a half bath downstairs. It did have a spacious living area. Like the first apartment, it was in a nice and safe area of town. I was very impressed with this one.

After that, we decided to get some lunch.

"So," Killian began, "you like the first and third, but not the second."

I nodded. "I'm really leaning toward the town home. It's only a little higher than the first one, and it's in the same area."

"I agree." He said. "But we have three more to look at, you could decide on one of those too."

"True. Thank you for coming with me today." I smiled across the table at him.

"I'm happy to do it."

The next one was an actual house. It was three bedrooms, two baths, and it had a yard. I imagined Henry playing back there, maybe with a dog. I smiled, something that Killian noticed because he smiled with me.

The next one was much like the second apartment, only a bit worse. It was run down, old, and definitely not suitable for a kid. Once again, I thanked them and crossed it right off the list.

The next apartment was in an older building, but still nice. They must keep up with maintaining them. It was two bedrooms, one bathroom, and spacious. I did consider it because it was in a good price range, but I wasn't extremely thrilled. The very last one was another house. It was old, two bedrooms, but it was cute. It had a yard but it wasn't fenced, and if it weren't for the obviously trashy neighbors I would consider it.

In the end, I really wanted that threw bedroom house. But I wasn't sure if I could afford it, if I stared work as a probation officer, I had no idea how much I would be earning.

"So, what's the verdict?" Killian asked me on the ride home.

"Obviously neither of the last two, or the second apartment. It's between that first apartment, that town home, and the house."

"I could see how much you liked that house. It would be perfect for you and your boy. Maybe even a pet or two."

I grinned because that was exactly what I was thinking. "How do you do that?"

"Do what?" He asked.

"Know what I'm thinking?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Well we're just so in sync."

That one made me laugh.

"Why don't you find out how much your new job would earn you, then make a decision." He offered.

"That does sound like a good idea."

The next day, I actually got a call from the probation office.

"Emma Swan?" A male voice asked.

"Yes?" I replied.

"This is the probation office, we recently got a phone call recommending you, we'd like you to come in for an interview."

Wow, that was fast. I would have to be sure to thank that lawyer for putting in a call for me.

"That would be great, any time is great for me."

"Okay then, why don't you come see us tomorrow afternoon? Bring your ID with you. Three o'clock."

"Yes, sir. Thank you so much."

I hung up, so excited that I immediately started texting Killian.

I have a job interview tomorrow!

He replied almost immediately.

Wow, that lawyer works fast.

I know! Finger crossed.

Fingers crossed, love x

And so I dressed appropriately for a job interview and headed out at 2:30. I was there at 2:45 and deeply breathing.

When I was called in I was met with the same man who was on the phone, judging by his voice.

"Gabriel Perez, nice to meet you Miss Swan." He introduced himself, shaking my hand.

"Likewise."

"So let's get started. You were recommended to us by a lawyer we work with a lot, according to him you would be a good candidate. Why don't you tell me about yourself?"

"Okay, let's see. I'm twenty four years old, I've been doing bail bonds for almost six years now."

"And from what I've seen you are good at it. We've dug into your records a little bit." He smiled.

"Oh, well yes I do enjoy it. But I think I need to branch out a little. I can't imagine doing anything but law enforcement."

"That's what we like to hear." He said approvingly. "We think you'll be great hear, you've got some experience with perps under your belt. Only this time you'll be keeping them out of jail, can you do that?"

"Yes, sir. It sounds like a nice change." I confirmed.

"Well then, how about tomorrow we start training you. As soon as you pick it up, you can get out on your own."

I wasn't sure if I had heard him right.

"Just like that?" I asked him.

"Like I said Miss Swan, you're a perfect candidate. You know the ins and outs of law enforcement, it'll be a mere adjustment. Here's what you need to know about this job. It is government salary, but we're paid fairly well for keeping these people in line."

"Wow, um, I'm speechless. Thank you, sir."

"Thank you, Miss Swan. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

I went home, still not quite believing I had a new job just like that. I could hug that lawyer, but I would just thank him the next time I met with him.

When I got home and settled in, I sat down at the table with my packet. This job would definitely be different. Standard forty hours a week with holidays and a certain amount of paid vacation. Over time if whoever I was working with did anything stupid on a holiday. When I was trained up, I would have an office of my own in the corrections building. When I caught sight of the salary, my jaw dropped. On that kind of pay, I could afford that house and then some. I wanted to cry out of happiness, I could give my son everything he needed.

Then Killian walked in. I had texted him when I left the probation office and told him to head over as soon as he was done with work.

"Emma? Emma! What's wrong?!" He pleaded. Turns out I was actually crying with happiness but I didn't know it.

"Nothing in the world could be wrong right now! I have a new job!" I told him.

"That's great! So what will you be doing?" He inquired.

"I'll be a probation officer. Killian, look." I pointed to the number on the paper, my salary.

His eyes went wide. "That's amazing, Emma!"

He hugged me and I hugged him tightly back. "You can take care of your boy!"

"I can! I can finally do it!" I agreed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.4K 2.6K 50
This is a story about Killian Jones and Emma Swan. A Captain Swan story that starts from Killian's first look at her. This story has some suicidal th...
39K 1.4K 16
AU Captain Swan fanfiction, from Emma's 1st person point of view. Emma Swan, a foster child without any roots has been going to the same school for t...
31K 1.9K 32
CaptainSwan, set in the real world. Emma Swan and Killian Jones grew up in the same foster system together. They'd both been there nearly their entir...
30.8K 1.9K 40
Emma Swan and Killian Jones were in love since they met back in the 6th grade when Killian was a new student in Storybrooke. It took them awhile but...