Rainbow Drops (Kuroko no Bask...

By Maplez12

"Perfection is not completion - Shiroma Petit Yuki" Shiroma Petit Yuki is a half-Japanese, a quarter-British... More

A bit Insights to the Story [Spoiler Alert]
Prologue
Chapter 1: Hōkō Onchi
Chapter 2: Tomato is red and Happiness is blue
Chapter 3: Opposites Attract
Chapter 4: Yuki's Days Off
Chapter 5: Something about colour?
Chapter 6: I'm putting you on a leash
Chapter 7: Is it a gift or a curse?
Chapter 8: Prodigy and their eccentricity
Chapter 9: Five words is all it takes
Chapter 10: The quiet one is the most dangerous
Chapter 11: I'll be your worst nightmare
Chapter 12: Seirin vs. The Oblivion
Chapter 13: Yuki and The Oblivion
Chapter 14: Yuki's Birthday Special (Part 1)
Chapter 15: Yuki's Birthday Special (Part 2)
Chapter 16: Midori-san is Midorima
Chapter 17: Hage Saru and Oji-san Kao
Chapter 18: Heaven favours me
Chapter 19: Talent may gets you far, but hardwork takes you anywhere
Chapter 20: Winning is...?
Chapter 21: Something important
Chapter 22: The man named Kiyoshi Teppei
Chapter 23: Unexpected fortunes?
Chapter 24: To see past what's seen
Chapter 25: Regaining what's lost
Chapter 26: Kuroko, Yuki and Kagami
Chapter 27: Hell on Earth
Chapter 28: Three Demons
Chapter 29: Do you believe in Fate?
Chapter 31: Idiots are useful in a way
Chapter 32: Natural enemies
Chapter 33: Mr. Green is Midorima-san

Chapter 30: Hate is a strong word

3.7K 112 14
By Maplez12

This took a very long time to write because I was kind of lost. So anyway, this chapter is longer than the previous ones due to extra background stories and all. There's also revelations on the mysterious person. I will probably take a break from Rainbow Drops, I kind of used up my ideas for it, for now. Give me a week or two before the next update. In the meantime, expect updates on Dreams of Life and My Dignified Imouto~

Pairings : GOMxOCxOthers(?)
Warnings : OC inserts in canon. Mostly non-canon.

———————————————————

Winter Cup preliminaries are fast approaching. Seirin is training hard with the remaining times they have to improve if they want to beat the Generation of Miracles and be the number one in Japan.

The Kaijō-Tōō match certainly ignites the fires within the members as they are determined to get stronger by winter.

Riko arranged for a practice match with one of the school participating in the Inter-High preliminaries. It wasn't a particularly strong school, and Seirin beats them 72 to 65.

Using the club's fund, Riko took the team to a nearby family restaurant to replenish their nutritions.

Kagami is struggling to eat using his left hand holding the chopsticks, only to fail miserably. Nigō has the fortune for more food in his jaw with every pieces the redhead dropped.

"Damn it!" Kagami cried in exasperation, his fingers twitching in frustration. Riko told him that the quickest way to master the use of his left hand is by substituting it for his dominant hand daily, which is just plainly difficult.

From 2 seats of where the redhead sat, Yuki snickered. "What's that, Kagami? If you can't even do that, how are you going to handle a ball?" she asked playfully.

Kagami didn't disappoint. He furiously glared at her, almost breaking his chopsticks. "It's freaking hard! You try it!" he provoked.

What Kagami didn't expect is Yuki's meaningful smirk. She lifts her chopsticks with her left hand, and grabs the little piece of fries like it's no big deal at all. So different from his desperate, almost pitiful attempts.

Obviously, Kagami was gaping like a fish while the guys are dumbstruck. Yuki can feel their gazes filled with respect at her little display as she continued to eat with a proud smile and impeccable table manners.

Seeing Yuki wasn't about to talk anytime soon, Riko sighed. "...As an aspiring pianist since young age, Yuki has long mastered the use of her left hand." she explained, rubbing her temple. "In short, Yuki is ambidextrous."

That's certainly news for the team. After all, the half-Japanese girl rarely talks about herself. For a basketball team with ambitious guys striving for victories over the Generation of Miracles by trainings that left them dry, only topics revolving around basketball are discussed.

On a side note, Yuki has been an ambidextrous for as long as she can remember. If someone were to ask her of her dominant hand, she would probably answer both. How is she to know which one, if she's been using both all her life?

"Are you good, Yuki?" Hyuuga asked curiously. His brow raised as he eyed the younger girl.

At this, Yuki only scratched her cheek bashfully, lightly tinted in pink. "I'm not that great, yet, Hyuuga-niisan.. I'm still learning."

Riko scoffed loudly, expressing her denials. "That's just her being humble." she sipped on her drink. "Yuki held her first recital when she was 8, and she holds one every year." Riko smirked. "That alone speaks her talent."

The guys' gaped as they openly stared at Yuki with respects in their sparkling eyes. They truly put her high on a pedestal.

"That's amazing..!" Koganei muttered in awe. His silent friend also nodded, showing his agreement.

Furihata eyes the smaller girl with wonder. "It's like you can do everything, Yuki!"

If anything, Yuki is uncomfortable with all the attentions she's getting for her musical talent. It's not like she is hiding it, but she wants them to treat her like an ordinary little girl.

As the one who brought the topic, Riko feels slightly guilty. She knows how this subject is particularly touchy for Yuki. Her childhood friend prefers people knowing her by only one out of her numerous hidden talents.

For example, those in her musical society circle shall only know of her musical abilities and not the basketball or anything else, and vice versa. Yuki doesn't like having her seemingly boundless talents to be put on public display.

"..We'll have a day off tomorrow." Riko tried steering the topic in other direction, successfully gaining the guys' attentions. "Which means strictly rest time and no practice." she finished firmly.

Later, as the freshmen discussed how they will spend their day-off, Furihata suggested entering the street-basketball 5-on-5 tournament for the First years.

Obviously, Riko is against the idea. She did emphasised the 'rest time' when she spoke earlier. It's nothing Yuki and Kiyoshi are incapable of, though. The two managed to talk Riko into it as they're both supportive of Furihata's ideas.

As fellow First years, Yuki believes it's best if they learn to cooperate together on the court as they play, and nothing beats real-life experiences.

"Are you going with us?" Kagami asked casually. Somehow, as the youngest of the group, Yuki is being naturally classified into the First years' circle.

Too bad for them, she had prior engagement she can't get out of. "Well, I would like to.." Yuki frowned, shrugging. "But I have something to do tomorrow, so no, I can't."

"Like what?" Kagami pushed on. His brow raised as he leaned deeper to his seat.

Yuki deadpanned through half-lidded eyes. "None of your business."

This irked Kagami as a tick mark grew in his temple. He looked menacing as he is furious. Obviously, Yuki annoys him on purpose, just for the heck of it. She kinds of like teasing the taller male around.

Who told him to call her a chibi? Yuki holds deep grudge over those things.

"Can't you come even for a while, Yuki-chan?" Kuroko asked this time, he sounds hopeful despite his unchanging expression.

"I want to." Yuki answered without hesitance. With Kuroko asking, of course, she answers just about anything. "But I have a game with The Oblivion, so I can't."

On the other end, Kagami is seething in his seat. He asked first, and she said it's none of his business, now that Kuroko asked, she just spilled it out like it's nothing?!

As if reading Kagami's furious thoughts, Yuki turned to him with a slight smile. "Don't take it too hard, Kagami. Tetsu-niisan is just different."

The visibly aggravated redhead turned to glare at the petite girl. "..and how are we different?" he hissed in a low voice.

Yuki blinks at that, actually thinking. Everyone are also curious and intently listening, even Kuroko.

"Well..." Yuki trailed, her closed eyes fluttered open. "Tetsu-niisan is gentle. nice. polite. humble." She listed with slight pause between. Then Yuki turned to Kuroko, smiling sweetly. "..and I like Tetsu-niisan's basketball.."

The shadow boy can feel his heart thumps as his cheeks tinted light-pink. Kuroko is aware he is in Yuki's favourites list, but he never actually heard it until just now. It makes him happy, and somehow elated.

"Whereas." Yuki slowly turned her head towards the other freshmen-combi as her brows scrunched. Her gaze boring into bloodred ones. "..Kagami is rude. loud. obnoxious. annoying. and plainly trouble." She spoke flatly as each word stabs deep into the redhead's heart.

Kagami feels like he's on a battlefield in his dying moments with five stabs on his chest as he bleeds profusely. He is completely hated by the girl, isn't he..?

"Although... I'm starting to like your basketball these days.." Yuki's gaze softened as her tone turned gentle, her expression serene. Then she frowned. "At first, I hate the brimming confident your basketball exude and how you play alone." She confessed. This time, her smile returned. "..but lately.. your basketball had been getting kinder.." she finished with a sweet smile.

Now it's time for Kagami to blush in embarrassment as his face flushed as red as his hair, even his ears are scarlet. Surely he didn't expect such gentle words after the numerous stabs he received.

"What...? Did they have something going on..?" Kawahara muttered to his seat-mate, Fukuda, who looked as bewildered at the turn of events.

"..Not sure..." Fukuda replied unsure. He did narrow his eyes at his fellow freshman who was blushing red.

"Ehem." Riko suddenly coughed sharply, glaring at the two murmuring boys. Kawahara and Fukuda immediately straightened up, their lips sealed. Riko doesn't like the silly idea the two freshmen were discussing. Yuki is too young for that kind of thing!

Oblivious to it all, Yuki sipped her drink casually. "Anyway, I can't go since I could never skip The Oblivion's weekly meeting." she stated clearly.

With the camp and preparations for the Winter Cup, Yuki's been missing some of the routine meetings, that's why she doesn't want to miss this one. Yuki misses her goofy, silly Ojis.

———————————————————

"So, Yuki.." Sōsuke, the stubborn Power Forward began as he grinned with excitement. "I heard you completed your steps?" he invaded said girl's private spaces.

"What's the name, Yuki?" Hayato added, his brows raised curiously.

Even Yūsei, the calm and collected Shooting Guard is curious. "I would love to hear the stories, Yuki. After all, I was not the Shooting Guard you practiced with." he smiled slightly sad.

On the other hand, the playful Takeru is practically bouncing and hopping in curiosity.

Ibuki, the ever rational Captain, sighed. "If you all can't settle down, Yuki won't be able to talk."

Yuki only smiles at her teammates' behaviours. "I did complete it." She smiles mischievously. "And the name is..."

"Feather-step!" Haruto completed with a huge goofy grin. "Doesn't Yuki just have the greatest naming sense?" he gushed happily.

Well, Yuki doesn't look pleased. Her father stole the cake! "You shouldn't give away the most awaited part like that!" She complained, pouting.

"I agree." Hayato chimed in, smiling in a sly manner. "As the creator, Yuki has the legal right to announce the name of her steps."

Haruto looks like a tin plate just hit him hard, his mouth agape as he turned pale.

The nimble Small Forward sweat dropped. "What legal? We are not on court." Takeru looked bewildered. Then realisation dawned on his face. "Oh wait. We are on court."

Now Yuki is the one sweat dropping. "Takeru-oji... You're being just like Izuki-niisan.." she spoke, disappointed.

Yūsei chuckles as he nudges his prankster of a friend. "That's smart, Takeru. But you missed the point."

"Okay, that's enough." Ibuki clapped his hands, silencing the rowdy men. "We will just have to see and experience it in flesh." he smiled as he threw a ball to Yuki, which she caught easily.

Yuki grins excitedly at the obvious challenge. She took off her outer jerseys and threw it to the nearby bench as it fluttered and fell perfectly on the flat surface. Yuki then put her stance. "So, who's first?"

All of them either grins or smiles, their eyes gleaming with excitements and ready to strike. Their aim is but one, the ball.

The results of the face-off are quite as expected. Yuki's Feather-step is weak against speed-based skills as she didn't input her speed in.

Takeru and Haruto easily passed and scored against Yuki, Hayato has difficulties at first, but his predictions shined through, Ibuki and Sōsuke hardly made it, most of the time they didn't, and while Yūsei got the worst compatibility being a Shooting Guard, his instantaneous release saved most of his shot.

In conclusion, her Feather-step is good enough at the moment, but Yuki still has to improve it by using it more in real matches as the steps still feel rather coarse and not yet smooth as how it's intended. She also has to get the timing right, since different person has different interval.

If Yuki improves it right, then it's certain that Sōsuke and Ibuki won't be able to pass her. Yūsei will have little to no chance, and the Hayato could only rely on speed and predictions then made it barely, except Haruto and Takeru whose speed greatly outmatched the steps itself.

Yuki dribbles the ball mindlessly, recalling her promise to Aomine. "..I have to get stronger.." she murmured, almost inaudible. First thing first, new skills are probably the answer. Although, it certainly won't be easy.

"Ne, Yūsei-oji.." Yuki clutch the ball in her hands as Yūsei turned with a soft smile. "..If I want to create a unique skills that ensures my shooting's percentage, where should I start?"

As of now, Yuki can shoot anywhere from half the court with 99.99% of success - without marks on her. Meaning, to actually achieve that percentage, she has to make sure her opponents can't stop her from shooting.

Yūsei chuckles softly. "Our Yukihime is advancing steadily, eh?" he teased, earning a pout from the girl. "Maa, to answer your question, I'm afraid you have to think yourself. It's your play after all." he finished as Yuki groaned.

"Hmm.." Yūsei hummed in thoughts. "Why not picture the possible plays in your mind? Something that utilise your inborn traits." he smiled. "Didn't Haruto say so?"

Yuki frowned. It's true that her father asked her to create her own style unique to her own. Does that mean no help is given? She sighed. "For now, I will take a break.." Yuki trailed off as she walked to the bench and sat deep in thought as she observed the ongoing game.

Yuki tried to recall the matches she had watched, the various plays shown and many more. Then her focus wandered to a certain greenhead's high arc shoots.

Certainly, Midorima Shintarō's High Projectile Three are hard and nearly impossible to block due to the ridiculous height of its path. As a skill to score points, it's a main and lethal weapon that could change the tides of the game.

While Yuki could perhaps recreate it, it still wouldn't be her move. Not to mention the burden on her arms considering she is not as tall as Midorima to begin with, and as she is still lacking strength. For now, rather than creating a move to score, perhaps she should create a play that gives her more choice when her steps is not enough?

Like in the case of Haruto and Takeru, Yuki can't pass them with Feather-step alone since they are speedy-based players. That would mean she would need to create a speed-based move that would throw them off momentum and snatch the chance to overturn the favour. Maybe let her pass the ball to her teammates?

Even so, if Yuki is just counting on her speed, she can't pass Haruto and Takeru. There should be an element of surprise for the move to work. 'But what...?' she feels like biting something.

"Yuki." a voice called, breaking Yuki's train of thoughts as she finally looked up. Hayato is smiling as he stood, leaning forward to her eye level. "You should't think so much, or you're going to get early wrinkles." he teased with a smirk.

Yuki frowned immediately. "Out of all the people I know, Hayato-oji.. you're the one who makes me think the most." she reminded. The mind games he came up with, the strategies he instilled on her young brain, requires lots of thinking.

Hayato chuckles. "That's true. Mind games are not exactly easy." he admitted. Then he smiled as his tone took a teacher-mode change. "Yuki, inspirations can come from anywhere in any forms. Which is why, you can hold this whole new skill until then. Isn't that the first and foremost reason why you enter Seirin?" he questioned softly.

The girl finally nods in understanding, her mind in a much better state. Yuki tends to overthink stuffs, it makes her envy idiots like Kagami sometimes. Idiots often simplifies things that genius complicates. "Thank you for the advice, Hayato-sensei." she smirked teasingly.

This made Hayato blinked before he chuckles. "Anyway, since Winter Cup is coming up, you should focus on that first. Help Riko-chan with datas gathering." he reminded as he patted Yuki's head. "Understand, Yukihime?" he stressed her name at the end, earning him a wide grin from Yuki before she nodded.

"Yo, Hayato! Yuki~! Hurry come and let's play!" Takeru called from the court, a basketball on his hand as he motioned for the two to come with his other hand. The two players then stood up, jogging to join their teammates on the court.

———————————————————

As the sun sets, Haruto and Yuki went home by a car they came with. All through the journey, Yuki has her gaze fixed on the passing sceneries while her thoughts wandered lost.

"What are you thinking, Yuki?" Haruto asked softly, he peeked at his daughter before returning his gaze to the road.

Her father's call woke her up, and she smiled at him. "Ah. Just this and that.." Yuki replied vaguely.

Yuki's mind is filled with her promise to Aomine, promise with that person. And her own feelings regarding in the midst of all these.

"..I want to play basketball with Seirin." Yuki confessed abruptly, slightly surprising her father.

"I didn't expect you would be so taken in to Seirin?" Haruto questioned more to himself. His daughter hardly opened up to anyone. "Although.. bonds are steadily established with time, so I can understand.." he smiled, taking a glance at his daughter. "This must mean Yuki likes Seirin's basketball a lot, eh?"

Yuki didn't hesitate to nod. "Seirin's play is kind of like The Oblivion, different but alike." she added. Yuki can honestly say that both teams love basketball and have fun playing on the court. That's her number one absolute belief.

All this time, watching as they struggle for winning, enduring harsh practices to get stronger, and how they virtues shined on the court. It just gets to Yuki, they grew on her.

"I want to play with them." Yuki repeated with conviction. Her tone contained a hint of sadness.

At this, Haruto can't help but smile wryly. He doesn't want to be the one who said it, but he's the only one here. "...Yuki.. you know it's nearly impossible.."

"I know.." Yuki had a ghost of a smile. Her features shadowed by her fringes, her babyblue orbs hidden. "There's not many mixed competitions held. So other then some specified practice matches, I might never be able to play with the team.."

Haruto felt a twinge of pain seeing his daughter in glooms. He used his hand to reach and ruffle her hair with a tiny smile. "..Yuki, if you wish for it strongly, then it might just happen.. Don't stop believing..."

"...Okay, Dad.." Yuki nodded with a smile. She doesn't look convinced, but she is not giving up.

Haruto shifts his gaze back to the road. His mind is starting to work its gears towards something that would certainly requires time and efforts to pull off.

If there's something he could do for his daughter with the title he had earned, then Haruto will gladly do it. As long as it's legal on court.

———————————————————

The next day is the usual regular practice for Seirin, which starts right after school ended. It's a shame that they can't skip classes for more trainings, but then again, the boys are students first before they are basketball players.

Riko gathered the guys in a circle, and spoke briefly. "We have only until Saturday for the Winter Cup Preliminaries. Which means, there won't be many days for more practices. I expect full concentration and devotion from you all! You hear me?" she half-shouted.

"Ou!" The guys roared in understanding, earning a nod from Riko.

"Oh, Kuroko-kun." Riko turned to the shadow boy. "Have you completed your new drive, yet?"

"I'm almost there, Coach." Kuroko answered with indifference. "A little bit more. It would be better if I someone could supervise me.." he added the last sentence as an afterthought.

It works just fine with him alone, but it certainly would be quicker and more effective if Kuroko could have someone observe and play with him as he develops his technique.

"Hmm.." Riko hummed in thoughts, her fingers resting on her chin. Then she finally decided. "Yuki."

"Mm?" Yuki tilted her head slightly, a questioning look on her face.

"You've done your researches on our opponents for the prelims already, right?" Riko stated as Yuki nodded. "That means you're free." Yuki nodded again, albeit hesitantly.

The female Coach smiles sweetly, yet commanding. "Shiroma Yuki. From now on, you will take on a temporary position of Personal Trainer for Kuroko-kun until he completes his new drive."

This earned murmurs of envy, even Kagami gave Kuroko this look. All the while, Kuroko keeps his blank look despite his inner heart beating in a slightly irregular pace.

Oblivious to her surrounding, Yuki saluted as she grinned. "Roger!" It wouldn't be bad, would it? After all, she did ask Kuroko to practice together before.

"Good." Riko nodded with a smile, satisfied. Before her amber orbs glinted. "Then from today on, after basic practices are done, you will overview Kuroko-kun's progress."

It took a while for Yuki to process what Riko just said. 'After basic practices?' she found herself inwardly asking. "..Does this mean I will be doing extra hours after club was finished...?" she asked skeptically.

The infamous Demonic smile returns. "Practices normally ends at 7pm, but with an extra hour, that would mean you and Kuroko-kun will be here until 8pm."

Needless to say, Yuki immediately blanched. Her face losing colour rapidly. If someone knows how to work people to their bones, Riko is one.

On the other hand, Kuroko doesn't mind it. He's delighted, even. He's been wanting to use the gym more often. "Do we have permission to use the gym until 8pm?" he asked as he scratched his cheek.

Riko puffed her chest proudly, her hands on her hips. "It's okay! I have gotten permission from the teachers!" she informed cheerily.

'..She expects this..?' Yuki wondered as she grimaced internally. It's likely that Riko reserved the right to use the gym late at night for training purposes, it just ended up with Kuroko using it for his new drive training.

Whatever Yuki is feeling must be shown on her face, because the next thing she knows, a high-pitched cry was heard. "What are you so down about?!" Riko shouted, frowning. "It's not like it will be hard or anything. Besides, your manager work is done!"

'She means for now..' After the preliminaries and 4 schools are chosen, Yuki would have to research those 3 schools. "I was planning to roam the street courts to search for inspirations." Yuki grumbled, then she pouted at Riko. "..but Riko-nee just made that impossible.." she groaned.

"...Then again, I do have my share of responsibility in Seirin.." Yuki added with a sigh. She weakly glared at Riko. "Although, it's clearly should only be the Manager responsibility." she stressed the 'manager'.

Yuki entered the team to be a temporary manager, then she is proclaimed as official manager, now she is a Personal Trainer? Next time she might as well be Riko's Personal Servant. She face palms inwardly.

"Do you have a prior appointment this week, Yuki-chan?" Kuroko asked politely, not wanting to intrude on Yuki's plans.

Yuki shakes her head. "None." she smiled assuringly. "Riko-nee aside, I did say I want to help Tetsu-niisan's training, didn't I? So it's okay."

That irked Riko. "What did you mean 'Riko-nee' aside?!" she roared furiously, making the guys flinched at her loudness. Maybe it's a good thing how Riko won't truly hurt Yuki who frequently annoys her.

Of course Yuki knows that. No matter what happened, loud yells are probably the worst punishment Yuki will ever get. Riko's infamous wrestling moves are reserved for those other then her.

Taking it to her advantage, Yuki sticks out her tongue at her older sister figure. "I'm doing this for Tetsu-niisan, not slave-driver Riko-nee!" she teased playfully.

Riko snapped. "Yuuuuu...kiiii!" she threatened with menace as her eyes glinted dangerously while chasing Yuki, who ran away at first sight of danger. Having Riko on her tail, Yuki giggled as she runs.

This merry-go-round continues for a while as the guys were just watching with amusement. Until Kiyoshi finally stopped the girls.

———————————————————

When the clock hits 7pm, the members of Seirin basketball club leave the gym as they dispersed, going home with company or on their own. All but Kuroko and Yuki.

Truthfully, Riko is just as suitable for the job, but as the Coach, she would need to organise plays and strategies, as well as making adjustments to the training menus. In other words, she is too busy.

"..What are we going to do, Tetsu-niisan?" Yuki finally questioned. The two of them are the only occupants of the quiet and spacious gym. Without the team, the gym seems wider and desolate now.

Kuroko has a ball in his hands as he answered. "Please play defense against me, Yuki-chan. Then you can observe my progress." he stood on the centre the court.

And so, Yuki stood before Kuroko in her defense stance. She tried to exert pressure on him like how it would be on games. Kuroko dribbled the ball once. twice. and when the ball hasn't yet fall, Kuroko vanished from her vision.

Yuki whistled in awe as she turned to see Kuroko with the ball, having passed her mark. "That's awesome, Tetsu-niisan! It looks as if you vanished and rammed straight into me!" she cheered, describing her experience.

This makes Kuroko smile. He hasn't heard any praise ever since he showed Momoi. It's actually nice to have someone to practice with. "What are the weaknesses I have to fix, Yuki-chan?" he questioned.

Another reason for Yuki to be here, is so that she can assess the parts Kuroko needs to improve for the drive to properly work. And with her Reading ability, Yuki reads it in one glance the moment Kuroko pulled his disappearing act.

Yuki smiles, putting forth one finger. "First. Tetsu-niisan can only use it on specific times due to the requirements." she lifted another finger. "Second. It's lacking effectiveness since Tetsu-niisan could only chose to pass after." she lifted her third finger. "Third. When it's mechanic is figured out, it's easily stopped."

"..That's a lot..." Kuroko sweat dropped slightly. He expected it, but it still doesn't feel nice hearing it. Although, he has to applaud the girl for her observant eyes. He knows what he's talking about, since he's one.

Yuki grins sheepishly. Maybe she should have phrased it better? Her expression fell. "Did Tetsu-niisan develop this to fight Aomine-niisan?" she asked softly.

This time, his indifferent expression feel as Kuroko's eyes widen a fraction in his surprise. It seems Yuki really is observant. After all, people say he is hard to read. "Yes." he admitted.

It seems Yuki herself didn't expect a clean answer, and she is muddled as to how to proceed. She hesitates, but she let it slipped. "...If my assumptions are true.. then it's likely Aomine-niisan will stop it after a few tries.." she kept her forlorn gaze on Kuroko.

The boy himself is quiet. As the creator, he himself is aware of that fact. No matter what had happened, Kuroko did play with Aomine on the same team for almost 3 years, he knows the tanned male's limitless potential.

"..Aomine-niisan... he is the type who relies heavily on his instincts.." Yuki continued. "Not to mention, he has mountains of basketball experiences to hone his basketball senses.." she looked uncomfortable spilling the truth.

Even so, someone has to speak out the harsh truth. "Players like him, tends to overcome their hurdles by inventing something on the spot, sometimes even ridiculously..." Yuki smiled wryly. Her own father is one of that kind. She has yet to know if she is too. "Those type of players whose sports IQ are high are troublesome that way."

Yuki's steely gaze could almost drill through walls. "..Because the more challenged they are, the harder they answered.." she finished.

All the while, Kuroko remained quiet as he intently listened. It honestly makes Yuki feels bad. "I-I'm not trying to dampen your spirits or anything like that..!" she waved her hands defensively, before clenching it shut. "..But... if.. by chance.. it really happened in the match.." she looked straight into Kuroko's dull orbs. "..Tetsu-niisan must be ready... It's likely, a hint of carelessness will brought down the whole match.."

The silence is almost deafening as neither parties spoke. Kuroko seems to be finding the right words while Yuki is distracted by what she just said.

"I understand." Kuroko nodded, breaking the silence. Yuki raised her head at him. He smiled slightly. "I will be preparing my mentality as well as my body."

Kuroko's sincerity shined through and it relieved Yuki. She is truly feeling sorry having to be the one who break the news. She smiled playfully. "Do I mark Tetsu-niisan so you can progress faster, or should I just watch from the sidelines?"

The boy thought for a while before answering. "For today, please watch at the sidelines so Yuki-chan can point out what I got wrong."

Makes sense. Yuki nodded in understanding and turned to leave the court. She halted and pivoted on her heel. "Good luck, Tetsu-niisan!" she cheered before going past the white lines, earning her a slight smile from the usually apathetic male.

———————————————————

The two teenagers had been staying late in the gym, practicing Kuroko's new drive that is soon to be complete days after days. As it's an unique, unusual and unprecedented skill, there's little to no clues from average basketball experiences. Staying with Kuroko in all those late hours made Yuki realised that her Tetsu-niisan truly is an extreme outlier, one that is hard to predict.

Said boy is currently standing on the court, a ball in his hand, his eyes fixed on Yuki who is in her defense stance. To make things real, Yuki made sure she had every intentions to block Kuroko's attempt, and with every ounces of his will, Kuroko dribbled the ball twice, let the ball hover in her vision, before he and the ball reappears behind her back.

The Drive is finally complete, perfectly performed with no hitch.

"Okay!" Yuki grinned, her thumb up. "That concludes the lessons from the Personal Trainer, Shiroma Yuki!" she chirped happily.

"Graduation will take place on official court!" she continued, smiling at Kuroko's widened eyes.

The boy smiles at the girl's antic, he finds her amusing as she is interesting. He always has. "Thank you, Yuki-chan, for your help these past days. It's reassuring to have you overview my practices." he admitted, as the two walked to the bench for a quick rest.

"No problem at all!" Yuki waved her hand dismissively with a grin. "Besides, I haven't been talking with Tetsu-niisan like his for a while now.." she scratched her cheek awkwardly. It's true that the shadow player is not really active in group conversations.

Kuroko nods in agreement. "It's indeed been a long time since we just sit and talk." The team has been occupied with the thoughts of more trainings to get stronger and win the championship, so they almost have no other spaces to think of anything else.

It feels like it has been decades since the boys went on a trip for relaxation purposes. Not to say they don't like it, but a breather once a while is good. Too bad they can't afford to take it easy, being the optimistic challengers against the Generation of Miracles.

"Should we go to the amusement park?" Yuki suggested out of the blue, taking Kuroko off guard. "Didn't Tetsu-niisan like it when we visit an amusement park after our practice match was cancelled before?" she continued happily, before pouting at a disturbing memory. "If only Kagami and Midori-san weren't being nosy with their stupid contests.." she grumbled.

The shadow boy sweat dropped, remembering that day. Although, he can feel his heart thumping at the invitation. Isn't it normally the guy who asked the girl out? Why is it the opposite here?

Oblivious to what she did, Yuki tilts her head innocently, blinking her babyblue-doe eyes as she waited for Kuroko's response.

To Kuroko however, this makes her looks infinitely cuter and his heart thumps at the sight, his cheeks blushed slightly despite his indifferent expression. "..I understand.." he replied with a very soft voice, barely enough for Yuki to hear.

When she did, she smiles wide. "It's decided then!" she brightened up, her eyes shining. "We will have a date on the latter date!" she tried to make a pun, earning a soft chuckle from the other party.

"Izuki-senpai will be happy to hear that." He commented shortly. The joke-loving senpai would be thrilled knowing his kōhai took a particular liking to puns like he does, especially when no one else does.

The brief but pleasant reaction she got from Kuroko made Yuki even happier as she grins. "Right? I personally think I'm the better joker out of us two though." she huffed, her chest puffed.

The girl's statement elicited a quiet laughters from the two teenagers, creating a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere. As the laughters subsided, Kuroko then contemplates about the question that has been bothering him for a while.

It's in his nature to be frank and blunt to the point of unintentionally hurting someone, most of which is tolerable and to one's dismay, but Kuroko finds this specific question hard to ask.

However, his curiosity shined through as he finds his resolve. He turned to the smiling girl, his expression stoic, but his gaze determined. "..Yuki-chan..." He began, gaining her attention.

"Do you hate the Generation of Miracles?"

Surprise slowly filled her expression as her eyes widen a fraction. Yuki is momentarily stunned, before her gaze softens, her smile unfaltering. "What brought this on, Tetsu-niisan?" she asked instead of answering.

Realising he had to give an explanation of some sort, Kuroko continued. "I've noticed for a while now, about Yuki-chan's... hostility towards the Generation of Miracles you have met." he admitted, recalling her harsh treatment towards Midorima and cold shoulders to Kise. "..Even to Kagami-kun sometime after you two first met." he added, her gaze transfixed on the babyblue ones.

While Kuroko talked, Yuki is silent, seemingly to quietly encourage him to go on. So he did.

"I didn't know why Yuki-chan dislikes Kagami-kun strongly at first. Then... when you show similar hostility towards the Generation of Miracles, I assume that they must have a common trait Yuki-chan hates.." Kuroko spoke his assumptions. Humans' observation is one of his greatest skill.

As the silence drags on, Kuroko finally revealed the answer. His gaze unwavering. "How they play alone." he stated.

For a while, Yuki kept her straight expression, as if assessing Kuroko's intention. Then her lips quirked into a smirk. "Tetsu-niisan is really observant, eh? No wonder you can misdirect those gazes away." she replied, avoiding the main question.

"...I can't be sure now." Kuroko spoke again. His mind travelling back to the past. "..At Kaijō-Tōō match.. it seems Yuki-chan's hostility dissipated into... something I don't quite recognise." he reasoned. Kuroko noticed Yuki's forlorn gaze at Aomine, and then Kise, but he doesn't know why.

The edges of her lips quirked even more after that. Yuki looks impressed. "Tetsu-niisan even picks that up?" she noted with amazement.

All this time, Kuroko plays as a Small Forward even if it's left unsaid, but Kuroko might make an amazing Point Guard from the way he's reading his opponent's moves and gestures. He might even reach Hayato's level someday, and trusts her, that means a lot. There's a reason why The Oblivion fears the man who is dubbed the Demon King.

Unlike Yuki who is starting to get sidetracked, Kuroko is still looking at her, expecting answer. When she finally noticed Kuroko's unrelenting gaze, she keeps her lips shut. She then smiled wryly, shifting her gaze forward as it transcendence time and space.

"...I first held a basketball when I was 4. I dribble a ball before I write." Yuki confessed, recalling the fun childhood she had, chasing after the rolling ball that's even bigger than her body. "I grow up with basketball as well as music. The two eventually became a part of me I can't cast aside."

The tiny fingers that travelled down the oversized black and white tuts, the messy sounds that flowed out of it. Yuki can still remember her mother smiling and giggling in amusement as she taught her, with encouragement and compliment every steps of the way.

"I enjoy them both. I like dribbling the ball, manoeuvring pass the defense, and skidding through the court for a shot to the hoop." She continued, smiling at her pleasant memories. "As for music, I love pushing my fingers against the black and white tuts and the different sounds that emits from each keys. The emotions I can't convey with words, can be easily felt through the language of music."

"I love them all." Yuki stated firmly. Her expression then took sudden dip, sad and lonely. "..But I can't stop feeling lonely somehow."

All those times, as the youngest and less experienced in her social circle, Yuki has to continuously ran to chase after her parents' and her Ojis' shadows.

The only person in her age group, Riko, doesn't play basketball nor does she try music. Her interest at that time was martial arts, specifically wrestling moves which she puts to good use even today. Other then that, she enjoys going with her father to observe and make a training menus for athletes.

Basketball and music is still fun, but at times, it feels empty and lonely. At that time, Yuki doesn't know what is it that she is lacking. Until that fateful day.

"Then one day, like a comet, that person suddenly appears." Yuki smiled, her eyes sparkling. "His name is Tanaka Yuuto, an admirer of Dad from one of the games he played with a basketball club of a university."

"We don't get along at first." Yuki chuckled as she recalled the dark-haired boy with a goofy grin, whose towering stature gives him an advantage and tendency to pat her head. They used to be at each other's throats, due to being the youngest. "..but as we learned side-by-side, we learned more about each other as time passed."

"When we realised, we have been smiling next to each other." The general insults thrown here and there, sometimes even basketball just to annoy the other party. It happened so fast.

"That was the first time for me to have company, whose strides would equals mine no matter if I walked or ran. He was my first and only rival." Yuki turned to Kuroko and smiled, which looked lonely to him. "He is the person I'm connected in basketball with. Only basketball." she stressed the last part.

As he silently listened to Yuki's stories, Kuroko travels his own memories as it resembles his own past somehow, mostly involving the tanned male, who he only gets along with in basketball.

"..He entrusts his will to me. To enjoy playing basketball while I have all the time in this world." Yuki's tone soft and low, it carried a distinct sadness and... guilt?

Kuroko can't help but note the word that shouldn't be there. 'Entrusts?' he wondered internally.

Without noticing Kuroko's interest, Yuki continued, having returned to her usual expression. "I enjoy playing basketball, truly. But then I learned of the Generation of Miracles, who played only for the sake of winning without enjoying the games they played."

Yuki frowned visibly in distaste. She went to one of the Generation of Miracles' match in their middle school days, her father dragged her into it. That's when she saw it for herself, the distress on the players' face opposite of the 'prodigies'.

"That goes against my promise to Yuuto-nii, and it disgusts me to think people capable of playing basketball, have to trample on other players' hope and will. Even going as far as eliminating the joy and fun from the game itself."

"It's just... abominable." It carried her anger, resentment, and other negative emotions that made it sounds cold and sharp. Kuroko can't find it in himself to retort, as he knows how horrible they were back then.

As a team, the Generation of Miracles are even more destructible then they are individual. The Generation of Miracles mercilessly crushed their opponents, always doubling, if not not more, the other's score, and made them miserable to the point of hating and quitting the sport they love.

The fact that he was there, with them all, made Kuroko filled with guilt. The reason why they all went the wrong path, was it because he failed to make them turned his way?

"...Then like you said, I saw the Kaijō-Tōō game." Yuki murmured. Then she chuckled. "The back who destroyed countless players' dreams and hopes, actually looks lonely and pitiful in my eyes. It's unimaginable."

Truly, Kuroko is at a loss. He'd be lying if he said he didn't hate his former teammates and their current basketballs. Even so, as their former teammate who shared the jerseys representing the same school, he has a soft spot for the Generation of Miracles.

Without notice, Yuki then hopped off from the bench with a grin, her feet landing with a soft thud. "Oh well. That's that." she spoke in a playful manner, as it nothing happened. "For now, we'll have to focus on the Winter Cup preliminaries first."

It stunned Kuroko for a while, before he smiles. "Thank you for telling me this, Yuki-chan."

Not having expected the gratitude, Yuki blinked in bewilderment. Eventually, she smiles it off.

Winter Cup is going to be fun. It's where answers will finally yield for questions, and where truth comes to play.

———————————————————
A/n:
So yeah, how is it?
Read, Comments and Votes~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.6K 741 11
THERE ARE FRIENDS. THERE IS FAMILY. AND THERE ARE FRIENDS WHO BECOME FAMILY. Shirosaki Ichiro is a basketball addict. Born in America, he dreams of...
69.2K 2.5K 100
A Kuroko no basuke fanfic. Teiko's basketball #2. The basketball club is back! This time with new faces, more drama and all the former craziness. Wil...
627K 16.8K 33
Teiko Middle School had supposedly raised the Generation of Miracles to be the amazing players they are now, in high school. But who really did creat...
43.4K 1.3K 37
Hina was sent to America for a few years as her mother did not want her to see her father struggled for the rest of his life with his sickness, they...