Opposites Attract

By NumbaFiveIsAlive

Ashley Barrings lives a basic life, she goes to school, goes home, and follows all the rules just like she's... More

Welcome To My Book!
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Nine

3.2K 96 11
By NumbaFiveIsAlive

Ashley's POV

I open my eyes to see white colored walls around me. I remember back to yesterday, and shutter at the memory of me sliding off of the saddle and hitting my head.

"Hey honey." My mom greets me, a magazine in her hand.

"Hi mom." I speak, my throat dry.

"You had to get stitches on your head, and you have a cast on your leg now. But I am sure you figured that one out yourself." She teases, I look and see the black cast on my leg and I let out a big grunt.

"No! Now I have to wear this chunky thing?" I roll my eyes and hear my mom giggle.

"Yeah, you did break your leg." She informed once again.

"Okay, well when can I get this off?" I ask.

"In about three month, possibly earlier if it heals and you take it easy the way you are suppose to. But you have your father's sense of pride and I don't know how great that is going to go down with you." She teases.

"Yeah, yeah... That is too long though."

"I am sorry sweetie, but you are just going to have to wait."

"Where is dad and Julian?"

"Julian is waiting outside, and your father had to go back to the house to shower, he stayed here last night. You should speak with Julian." She stands to her feet and opens the large door, soon after I watch Julian step inside, with a white t-shirt on, he looks different without his hair all done and his jacket off. Different, but better, and I can't help but admire the way he looks, he may be a jerk, but he does look good being one.

"Thank you." I speak up.

"For what?"

"For saving me, I could have died there." He smiles.

"Well, why wouldn't I save you?" He questions and I shake my head.

"I don't know, maybe you would've just been happy to get rid of me." I shrug, listening in for a response.

"I would never leave you behind like that. Who do I strike you as? A jerk?" He smirks, sitting in the chair next to the bed.

"And besides, I need you to show me around school, remember?"

"Yeah yeah, well now I have to do so with this big tree trunk on my leg!" I complain.

"It isn't that bad, the cast matches your heart." He teases, I notice the joke being a bit weird, but I can tell he is trying.

"I think you are seeing a reflection of yourself there buddy."

"Ha.Ha."

"You're a weirdo." I shake my head and he looks at me.

"How?"

"The cast matches your heart." I tease him, he chuckles. And runs his hand through his hair.

"Hey, you have no room to call anyone a weirdo." He narrows his eyes at me and I smile at him. Silence falls between us, and I look down at my fingernails, and begin to chip at them.

"You know, you are the only person I have told about how I really feel about the adoption thing." I speak, waiting for response.

"Really? Why did you only tell me?"

"I don't know... I guess it is just that I get this feeling whenever I am around you, that somehow, you can understand what I feel. I feel like I can trust you."

Julian's POV

I smile naturally comes on my face, that was kind.

"But then again, I am apparently a weirdo, so..." She jokes, and I chuckle. Being with her feels normal, the more I get to know her, the more I feel like I've known her for my whole life. I've never really felt this way, it doesn't feel forced like it did before, this feels... Good.

She is just really cool, she's different. She isn't worried about makeup or how her hair looks, she is just beautiful.

"Julian?" I hear her interrupt my thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"Is there something wrong with me?" She asks, playing with her braided hair, not looking up. I felt odd about answering the question, not wanting to say the wrong thing.

"Why would you think that?"

"Well, it's just... No one really likes me. My mom and dad didn't, and I only have like two friends. What if they are just being my friends out of pity? And I think when my mom and dad adopted me, they regretted it right after, although I know I shouldn't think that way. I've never even had a date before, Rachel and her friends all hate me, if just seems like a lot." She finished, it was a lot to take in, and I feel my heart sink with how much she bears on her own shoulders. I remember back to what the old man spoke to me.

"You know, Ashley, some situations may seem very dark on the outside, but on the inside, the situation may have more light than you think." I try to repeat the saying as best as I can and she listens to my words, nodding her head, but not responding.

"There is nothing wrong with you. You are a beautiful girl, nice, amazing, smart, and any person would be lucky to have you in their life." I speak, there is a silence between us, and I don't like the feeling it brings.

"I'm sorry, I just threw all this at you. I just don't talk about it much to anyone else..." I plays with her hands.

"It is okay, you don't have to apologize for feeling a certain way." I debated on whether to tell her how I really felt, but it was hard.

"And, I am glad that you got adopted, because if you hadn't,I would have never met you." I smile at her, and stare into her hazel eyes once she looks up at me.

"Really? So you are happy you met me?"

"Yeah... Now don't make me say it more than once," I tease ,"Are you happy about me?" I ask, I want to know, but don't want to know all at the same time.

"Yes. You kind of brighten up my days, in a weird way."

"Really?"

"Of course, Julian. I mean, even when you are mean to me. You make me have this weird feeling, I just like having you around." I can't help but smile at her words. That was the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me, something shifted in me as I looked up at her hazel eyes.

"Ms. Bally? Would you like to see your other visitors now?" The nurse walks in, and we break our eye contact.

"Uh, yeah, and please, call me Ashley." I watch as Max and a small girl walks in the room, I look at Ashley wave.

"Ashley! Look at you! Look at your leg! You scared the living shit out of me, I thought you were going to die!" The girl yells, Ashley just manages a small laugh.

"You are so dramatic, I wasn't going to die or anything."

"Well now I have to kill you for being so dumb, Ashley why did you go out in a storm? I mean, could you be any more stupid?" She chews her out and Ashley interrupts her rant.

"Julian, this is Trina." I nod my head at her and she shakes my hand.

"Hello." She takes a second look at me, and I feel weird and out of place.

"We are just glad that you are alright." Max chirps in and smirks at Trina. Trina and Max both take a seat and we began to talk amongst ourselves.

As I watch Trina and Max leave the room, an awkward silence falls between Ashley and I. I look around the room and spot a black marker on the desk behind me, looking up, I smile and reach back grabbing the marker and removing the cap. I knelt beside her bed and began to write on the hard cast.

"Julian, the floor is dirty, you can sit on the bed." She offered, with a smile on my face, I sat next to her and continued to sign it.

"What does it say?" She covered her face, peeking out of the small crack between her fingers.

"Just, don't be mad." I teased, her eyes opened wide as she gasped.

"Let me see the sharpie..." She spoke and I handed it to her, I watched as she grabbed my shirt and pulled me closer, holding my hand, she wrote something on my arm.

LAME, I read it out loud and shook my head, looking up, I see a smirk on her lips and can't help but smile. I rip the sharpie out of her grasp and write on her hand.

"I am an idiot." She reads and we both laugh; we were close enough for me to notice how beautiful her green eyes are. I let a small breath go and she breaks the eye contact and reaches for her bag and I quickly give her space.

"Stick out your tongue." I hear the command and do so, waiting for the reason why. She quickly tosses a mint in my mouth and giggles.

"It stinks that bad?" I ask: trying not to let her know I am embarrassed.

"Yes." She chuckles and we move our heads close once again. She pops a mint into her own mouth and blow minty, cool air on my face, I shut my eyes.

"Smells... Okay." I blow back and she smiles.

"Way better than before."

"I don't know why everyone thinks you are so nice Ashley, you're mean to me." She playfully shrugs her shoulders and I smirk. Moving closer, my eyes drift to her dark pink lips and I can't stop the boiling desire to place my own on hers. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 116 30
Scarlet just wants to be left alone and finish high school as she moved away from her home. People at her old school saw her as odd and she only had...
13K 370 22
I had to admit, he was cute. His eyes sparkled nervously and his lips were a lovely shade of natural red. He had his arms crossed over his chest, a g...
3.2K 243 31
Charlie doesn't want anything to do with love, while Julian gets a taste of it for the first time. How can two impossibly stuborn people even begin t...
48 0 22
Gabby Goodwin has a questionable sense of style, no filter whatsoever, and horrible taste in the opposite sex, and that's just the tip of her problem...