Hidden Kingdom

By Leostar729

Avian Ravenwood has always known her place in the world since she was young, serving the Royalty she had been... More

Warning
⊱Chapter 1 - part one 🗡 Failed Lesson⊰
⊱Chapter 1 - part two 🗡 Summoning⊰
⊱Chapter 2 🗡 An Unwanted Guest⊰
⊱Chapter 3 🗡Surprises⊰
⊱Chapter 4 🗡Birthday Bash⊰
⊱Chapter 5 - part one 🗡Introducing Magic⊰
⊱Chapter 5 - part two 🗡Elemental Strength⊰
⊱Chapter 6 - part one 🗡Mage Trials⊰
⊱Chapter 6 - part two 🗡Master Mage⊰
⊱Chapter 6 - part three 🗡A Royal Command⊰
⊱Chapter 7 🗡Beginnings of Courting⊰
⊱Chapter 8🗡Courting Disaster⊰
⊱Chapter 9 🗡Courting Secrecy⊰
⊱Chapter 10 🗡Beginnings of Panic⊰
⊱Chapter 11 🗡Death within Life⊰
⊱Chapter 12 🗡Eternal Sorrow⊰
⊱Chapter 13 🗡Nightmares⊰
⊱Chapter 14 🗡Revenge Mission⊰
⊱Chapter 15 🗡Revenge is Sweet⊰
⊱Chapter 16 🗡Mission Order⊰
⊱Chapter 17 🗡Mission One⊰
⊱Chapter 18 🗡Unpleasant Company⊰
⊱Chapter 19 🗡Unending Nightmare⊰
⊱Chapter 20 🗡Hostage Situation⊰
⊱Chapter 21 🗡Attempting Seduction⊰
⊱Chapter 22 🗡Jail Break⊰
⊱Chapter 23 🗡Hidden Truths⊰
⊱Chapter 24 🗡Decoding the Past⊰
⊱Chapter 25 🗡Dragon Bonding⊰
⊱Chapter 26 🗡 Stifling Truths ⊰
⊱Chapter 27 🗡Chosen Future ⊰
⊱Chapter 28 🗡A Lover's Betrayal⊰
⊱Chapter 29 🗡 A Dragon Encounter ⊰
⊱Chapter 30 🗡Destiny's Decision⊰
⊱Chapter 31 🗡A Mother' guidance and a King Revealed⊰
⊱Chapter 32 🗡Hidden Kingdom⊰
⊱Chapter 34 🗡Anxiety Rising⊰
⊱Chapter 35 🗡Sky Trials⊰
⊱Chapter 36 🗡Capture the Magic Flag⊰
⊱Chapter 37 🗡Magical Challenges⊰
⊱Chapter 38 🗡All or Nothing⊰
⊱Chapter 39 🗡Nightmare Calling⊰
⊱Chapter 40 🗡The King's Blade ⊰
Authors Note

⊱Chapter 33 🗡Mother's Story⊰

73 4 0
By Leostar729

Update 3 of 5. I am on a roll today!!! Hopefully you guys like it. This book has been my life's work and an ongoing project for more than 5 years. 

------------------------------------------------------

There was a companionable silence between us as we stalked through the corridors. Lady Aliwyn's eyes flicking over to mine every few seconds. It was only a matter of time before she broke the silence. "So what's the story?" Lady Aliwyn's voice rang out in the empty halls. Her blue eyes staring down at me as we continued to casually stroll down the corridors.

I was confused as to what she meant. My curiosity getting the better of me I decided to ask, "What are you referring to?" My head had cocked to the side of its own accord in confusion, my cheek slightly brushing against Serina's hard scales.

"The story of what happened between you and the King of course!" She bounced enthusiastically. "This is the first time I have ever seen him flying alone with a stranger. Usually he always has his right hand, well now left hand man, Bartholomew, with him. Since you shall be his right hand ma...err woman once you fulfill the position of King's Blade. He must really like you if he travelled here alone with you." Her blue eyes growing wide as her ears slightly twitched.

The notion of the King liking me even tolerating me was laughable making me snort out loud from the unlikeliness of it. "That is unlikely, Lady Aliwyn. I am sure he must hate me."

"How so, Lady Avian?"

"Avian is fine." Making her smile. "The first time I met the King I didn't know it was him. He had captured me and my companions. Locking us up in cages. However I as able to open them and escape with my companions in the night, out running him and his men."

She looked thoughtful as she contemplated, "It must be respect that he has for you then. After all not just anyone can get out of those magic proofed cages. I personally know, I tried and failed miserably." She giggled thinking back on the silliness of her past experience.

Trying suppress a smile I try to ask her in all seriousness, "Have you tried picking the locks or stealing the key, Lady Aliwyn?"

Her eyes went wide with horror, "I never thought of that! Man I can really be dumb at times. Call me Aliwyn, it is only fair since you allowed me to call you by your first name." She squeezed my arm in affection. "Any-who, here we are! This is the past Blade's room. Which is now yours, obviously." She indicated with a sweep of her free hand to a wooden door painted with a blue background and a purple dragon as the main feature.

Pushing the door open I take in the sight of the grand bedroom. "What's with the picture on the door?" I ask as I gaze about the room taking everything in. There was a huge four poster bed against the side of the room with a large shelf for books, a small armory, a nice sized closet, and a great deal of other things that looked as though they belonged to a princess.

The other side of the room contained a bed near the fireplace for a full sized dragon, including a door that they could enter or take off from. Serina had fluttered off from my shoulder to check out her new abode as she puffed out smoke from her nostrils with satisfaction.

"Oh it is just a way to identify whose room is whose. If you don't like the picture we can always have it changed." She quickly suggested her eyes filled a little bit with hurt.

"No, no, it is fine. In fact I love it! I was just wondering that's all." Still gazing around the room with contentment. "Thank you for showing me where my room was."

She looked relieved to hear I didn't hate the painting on the door, "Not a problem. You have your own bathroom and the library is down the hall can't miss it. After all the doors are have books painted onto them. If you need anything else my room is a few doors down with a picture of roses and trees painted onto it. The King's chambers are to the left of yours across the hall." Suddenly feeling tired I couldn't help but flop down onto the cozy looking bed. "What do you think you are doing, Avian!" Aliwyn yelled playfully at me.

Weren't we done with everything? Using my arms to support my weight I look up at my new friend to find she was tapping her foot while her hands were placed on her hips. What got me though was her pouting as she stuck out her bottom lip. Making me giggle at her theatrics. "Uh about to take a nap?" my statement coming out as more of a question.

"Wrong! You still need to be measured for new armor. And heaven knows that Serina needs to be measured for a saddle as well as her own armor. Now come on lazy bones! We still have much to do." Aliwyn grabbed my arm to drag me off the bed and out the door.

A high pitched squeak emitted around the room before we could step a foot out of the threshold. Serina scrambling towards us on her miniature legs while making the adorable sound. Her voice frantic within my head, "Wait for me! Don't forget about me!" I opened my arms so she could flap into them.

"Serina, I would never forget about you." I cooed to my dragon. Aliwyn linked arms with me again being careful as to not jostle Serina out of my arms where she was purring happily. Aliwyn steered me through the maze like corridors of the castle, pointing out the various rooms that I needed to familiarize myself with. Finally leading me out only to cross another garden and enter into a separate building that could be considered a small castle in its own right.

"Well here we are. This is the armory of the Kingdom." Aliwyn announced. This place was amazing. There were dozens of blacksmiths running around doing various jobs such as outfitting armor for both dragons and Knights. Others were working on or testing different weapons.

The one thing I noticed however was that most of them had rather pointed ears. "The black smiths are mainly all elves." I stated out in wonder.

Aliwyn looked at me with an unreadable expression, "Most of the citizens and riders here are elves. There is only a small proportion of humans and even smaller proportion of other types of creatures. Even King Hakeem is an elf. Did you really not notice his ears?" I shook my head no, I really had not been paying very much attention. "Oh well, it is probably his hair. It mainly covers the fact that they are pointed."

Aliwyn pulled me towards a blonde haired stocky female elf barking out orders to the others. "Ah Aliwyn! Just in time, you brought me the new rider that I have heard about from the King." The woman winked at me.

"Avian, this is Lydia Roslin, the head blacksmith here in the Kingdom. Roslin, this is the soon to be new King's Blade, Avian Ravenwood and her bondmate, Serina." Aliwyn pushed me towards the blacksmith who immediately enveloped me into a hug. Making me instantly like her, she just had one of those infectious personalities.

"King's Blade huh? Then I expect Bartholomew will be down here in the next few days to throw a temper tantrum. Don't worry dear, we will get you squared away. If Serina could kindly return to her normal size on that pedestal over there with you standing next to her. I will take both of your measurements." She took out a measuring tape, wrapping it around me to find out my size. "What weapons do you use? Also what type of magic user are you? Also how do you move around while in battle?"

She lifted my arms to take their measurements and some others while I spoke, "Umm.. I use various weapons, mainly a thin bladed sword, daggers, and my bow. Though I can use weapons such as spears, axes and such. I am constantly moving in battle, I can't hold still. My elements are wind and earth." My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to think if I missed anything she had asked me.

She had moved onto Serina taking the different measurements required for her. Roslin paused in her task to stare at me, "No fire? That is unheard of. Riders occasionally get two elements but that is unusual in itself. But the most common element among the riders is fire. Even the King controls fire among his three abilities. Honey are you sure?"

Frowning I nod my head, "Yes, I have been working with them for about a year now. I have never been able to produce even the littlest spark."

"Is Serina a fire breather?" Rosin peeked over her measuring tape.

Nodding my head, "Yes." I have witnessed her fire many a time.

Roslin had gotten over her shock and went back to her task of recording down Serina's measurements. "Maybe you are just a late bloomer. Well that about does it my dear. The armor will take a few days and you won't get the sword until after being tested worthy. Which is a load of crap if you ask me. Seems as though Bartholomew is just trying to delay the inevitable." She snorted out her disgust. Seems as though Bartholomew wasn't very well liked here. At least that was the vibe I was getting from everyone.

"Roslin, whatever do you mean?" Was the sword already made? How was it any different than the one I carried now? She had opened her mouth to answer only to be interrupted.

"Don't worry, Roslin. I will take it from here and explain everything to her." The King's voice spoke from behind me, causing my heart to race as I turned to look at him. When had he gotten there? He jerked his head to the side, "Come." Serina and I followed him out to yet another garden.

Serina bent her head to nuzzle my cheek with the tip of her nose, "I am going hunting, dear one. I shall be back later. Though I will keep the link open in case you need anything." Opening her wings she took off into the sky leaving me alone with King Hakeem.

He glanced back but continued walking further into the garden coming upon a fountain sitting in the middle of where all the pathways connected. "Our two families go all the way back to the founding of the Kingdom. The first King was the savior of the Dragon race when it had been close to extinction. It was then that some of the dragons broke off from the main race to bond with the future citizens of the Kingdom. Back then he was a simple warrior until everyone rallied behind him and made him their King. His best friend fought beside him the entire time and even saved the King's life a time or two. Deciding to reward his friend he made him the Blade to the King. Our families have been side by side ever since.

The last Blade to my father was your mother. She was a well-known elf here in the Kingdom. A fierce warrior and more loyal than anyone or so I was told by my father. Last I heard, your mother had fled an important battle that devastated our numbers and we barely won. From the paintings I have seen, you resemble her as almost a perfect replica. Except for the eyes. You also have a similar personality as well." He leaned against the fountain assessing me. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Lady Aliwyn is a character based a bit off from my best friend from high school. She was always there when I needed her and encouraged me to keep writing. No matter how many stories I had rolling around in my head. Anyway, onto the 4th update of the day!

Comment, Vote, and Keep Reading. See ya in the next part.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 78 31
Shinnrae Netherbane had always been trained to do everything a normal lass wouldn't do--she was never interested at all in the world of fancy frocks...
822 149 49
A WitchHunter with a glorious destiny. An assassin desperate for freedom. A stable boy with a dangerous secret. A friend with a hidden family. A bro...
275 23 11
Raven was a girl born to a father who was abusive and harsh. He believed everything needed to be done through pain and power. Raven had only her sist...
487 96 30
Before you begin this story, I must warn you first. This is not a tale of dashing knights and lovely damsels awaiting rescue. It is not the tale of h...