Opposites Attract

NumbaFiveIsAlive tarafından

Ashley Barrings lives a basic life, she goes to school, goes home, and follows all the rules just like she's... Daha Fazla

Welcome To My Book!
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Two

4.6K 132 17
NumbaFiveIsAlive tarafından

I shut the front door of my house and toss my bag on the floor.

"Mom! I'm home!" I yell, staying put and waiting for her response.

"Good, go feed the horses!" She yells back from the kitchen.

"Okay." I nod my head and walk to my room. I took off my converse and put on my boots, I run my hand through my hair and pause, taking a large breath, questioning whether I should have fought Rachel and Amanda.

Of course I should have, they deserved what they got.

I walk outside through the deep summer like grass and I take a look around to all the trees scattered around me. At least I get to come here, after what had happened, and right now, I haven't gotten in trouble from my mom. My stomach twists as I feel anxious for what she will say, this hasn't even been my first fight with them, so I really don't know what she is going do.

Once I reach their stalls, I give them the two apples in my hands. I sit on the ground, with my back leaned up against the barn wall, I close my eyes as I hear them eat. I dive into the day with them, explaining every single detail, trying to work out how my mom will react.

"I was only sticking up for that girl..." I think aloud, looking at Spirit shake her head.

"Okay, fine, so maybe I didn't really have to fight in order to get the job done. But it wasn't like I started it, I didn't throw the first punch... Well I mean, technically I did, but she slapped me first." I pull the hair tie off of my wrist and throw my hair up in a messy bun. I walk over to where they were at and I run my hand over Grace's neck.

"I'll be back later to take you both out on a ride." I speak soft, but my stomach is upset, the last thing I want is for my mom to get too angry with me. I walk away from the barn, and mess with my hands, trying to think of what to say when I get inside.

After I was inside, I noticed that my mom wasn't in the kitchen, or anywhere in sight. It would be much easier to just not tell her until she brings it up, so that's exactly what I plan to do. I grab a snack from the kitchen and drag my bag right by the table in the living room. Pulling out all of my books, I reach for the remote and put on some country music. Deciding on math first, I pull out my pencil and get to work.

Once I have everything put away in my bag, I stand to my feet and finally reach the door handle to go outside when I hear my mom cough from behind me.

"Ashley..." My mom started, waiting for me to turn and face her, I looked at her hand by her side, and she had her phone in her hand.

"Yeah?" I asked, there is still a small sliver of hope that she won't ever find out.

"I got a call from school today, do you want to explain why you got in a fight the first day of school?" Well, there goes all of my hope...

"Okay mom, there is a really good reason why... Rachel and Amanda, the two mean girls in school were bullying a younger student. They were just yelling at her, and I could not allow something like that to happen. So I went over and told them to stop, Amanda ended up slapping me, so I punched her in the face - only once though! I was even going to help her back up, but that was when Rachel pushed me down and started to pull my hair. So I fought her too." I wait for my mom to speak, but she doesn't say anything.

"It is true, that's how it happened, but Mr. Tenet didn't believe me; and he only said that they would get a warning." My mom's looks up at the ceiling as she sighs and places her hand over her eyes. I watch, waiting for her response.

"Ashley... I mean, the first day? Really?" I can tell my mom is thinking, so I don't say a word, I know that my mom will speak soon.

"Honey, you know that the favoritism in that school with their families is clearly there, I wish that they would have gotten punished. I understand you heart was in the right place, and you should always stick up for others. Just next time, you need to make sure you do not fight, or else you may be removed from this school, and I don't know what we would do if that happened." She spoke, her voice was soft, but I could tell that she was frustrated. I would be too though, so I can't really expect anything different from her.

"Okay, I'm sorry mom." I speak, she gives me a forgiving look and pulls me in for a hug.

"Never apologize for following after what your heart tell you, Ashley. You got a good one." I smile a little, feeling so blessed that I have a mother like her in my life.

"Okay... Oh, isn't dad coming home tomorrow?" I ask, excitement filling my chest.

"Yes, yes he is. So I want to make him a nice dinner, but I need your help, okay sweetie?" She asked me, I nod my head.

"I think that that would be really cool... Well, I am going to go take ride, is that okay?"

"Yeah," She begins to walk off ,"Oh, but try not to get in a fight on your way down there." We laughed and I went on my way.

"Ready Grace?" I ask as I climb onto the saddle I buckled on her. We started off slow, like always, and then I got her running down the path we normally take. A smile came onto my face naturally, this was one of those things that I'll remember for the rest of my life, riding was a passion.

Next was Spirit, I put his saddle on and I could tell he was excited to get out, he has always been my riding buddy. He loves to run, which is my favorite part about riding, he took off just as he always does and I led him down another long dirt road, and I couldn't help admire the horses' strides, they were reckless, yet graceful as at the same time.

Once I get everything back into the right spots in the barn, I look out and just now notice how dark it has really gotten. I walk back into the house and after eating dinner, I go to finish up on some chores, and check the time, noticing that it was already ten. I toss myself on the couch where my mom is watching her show.

"Wow, I am tired." I stretch out dramatically, she chuckles.

"I like it, now you're not here as much to bother me." She jokes, I look at her with a fake surprised look.

"Did dad call today?" I ask, cuddling up to the throw pillow.

"Yes he did, he is very excited to come home, and he wanted you to know that loves you very much." I smile, and silence starts between us as I think.

"I just wish he wasn't gone so much, you know?" I pick at my nail polish again, waiting for her response.

"Yeah, I often feel that way too, but your father loves what he does. And we need to be strong and happy for him." I nod my head, suddenly feeling the tiredness fill me.

"You're right, well, I think I am going to go to sleep. Goodnight mom." I kiss her on the cheek and walk down the hallway where I changed into grey sweats and a big hoodie. Feeling foggy, I slip under the covers and quickly drift to sleep.

The next morning, I wake up early and once finished with all of the chores, I find myself showering and getting dressed for the day. I walk into the living room and see my mom all dressed for the day ahead, she wanted to take me to school today so she could go run errands as well.

"Ready?" She asks, a smile on her face. I look as I notice her brown hair braided to the side, and she sticks one of my dad's old baseball caps on her head, grabbing her keys, she watches for my response.

"Yeah, you look very nice today mom." I compliment, she smiles and gives me a playful nudge out the door. After getting set into the car, I put some music on and we begin the long ride to my school.

"Thank you for driving me today." I gather my long hair and pull it onto one shoulder.

"No problem! I had to go in anyways... So, what are you going to do today is that Rachel girl bothers you?"

"I'll try to ignore it to the best of my ability, but if she throws a punch my way-"

"Protect yourself Ashley, but do not start anything." My mom speaks, I nod my head and we sit in comfortable silence, and I watch my school pull into view.

I shut the door and hurry to my first class right before the bell rings, not wanting to be late for the second day.

💮

"It felt like school took forever today." I complain as I put on my seatbelt next to Trina.

"I know, and Mr. Phil's class is so boring, I actually noticed a few people falling asleep in the class." She starts up her car and I chuckle.

"I am so glad I got out of his class this year, I do not want to repeat the same long lectures."

"You're so lucky that you got to have him a year in advanced!"

"I know." I smirk, we drive out of the parking lot and I take a sigh of relief. Luckily, Rachel and her group didn't bother me enough for me to actually say something. It is really hard too, because I have never been the kind of person to sit and just pretend someone isn't there. I fight, I normally don't flee...

Trina parks in my driveway and I notice my dad's black pickup, I immediately perk up and rush out of the car. Not even thinking twice, I slam the gate shut and run up to the door. I walk in and see my dad standing, with his uniform still on, he must have just gotten back.

"Dad!" He puts his arms out and I reach over and hug him. There is nothing better than getting a hug from him, they're so warm and welcoming.

"Hey Ash, I missed you!"

"I missed you too dad."

I look over behind him at our long couch and see a guy sitting down, his hands clasped together. I quickly start to notice him feeling a bit awkward, and not really knowing what to do. I give my dad a strange look and hear him clear his throat.

"Ashley, there is someone I'd like you to meet." The guy looks over, not standing, he seems a bit stern.

"This is Julian, Julian, this is my daughter, Ashley." My dad spoke, I give him a kind wave and small hello, but Julian only gave me a weird look and then turned away. Silence fell in the room, and suddenly, I felt out of place.

"He will be living with us until he is safe to go back to his city." My eyes widen as I raise an eyebrow. Why would my dad bring someone like this home; there has to be someone better out there...

"So, you live in the city, that much be adventurous." I try to be polite and make conversation, he watches me make a fool of myself.

"I guess..." He glares at me.

"Okay... Uhm, dad, I need to go do some stuff, can we just visit after?" I ask.

"Go ahead, me and your mother will start on dinner-"

"No, you are not going anywhere Ashley Lee. Ashley and I are going to make dinner for you and Julian tonight." She smiled, I sighed, trying my best to hide my frustration.

"Yup, just relax, and keep it cool." I say, he pulls his head back, looking surprised.

"Keepin' it cool honey." He laughed and I cover my face to hide my laughter, I see Julian roll his eyes and I try my best to ignore it.

"Dad, don't say that." I smirk.

"But you just did, I can be cool too you know." I just shake my head and make my way into the kitchen.

After we get everything prepared, we all take a seat around the table. We only eat at the table on special nights like when my dad gets home, or when we have guests. Except I don't really think that Julian wants to be here, in fact, he seems like he would rather be anywhere else.

After dinner I stand to my feet and rinse off my plate, my mom follows after me and I want to talk about Julian so I start out low.

"Hey, where's Julian going to sleep?" I ask her.

"In your room, for just a little while." She said, waiting to hear my response.

"What?! He's a complete jerk, why would you allow a boy to stay in my room anyway?" I try to keep my voice low, but it's proving to be a challenge.

"I know, I know, but we don't have any more room in the house. And it isn't like he is staying here for a night, he will be living here. He needs to be at least a little comfortable, so we went out and got a floor bed for him to sleep on."

"Ugh... I have to shower." I storm off into my bedroom, I see the bed set up across the room from mine and roll my eyes. I grab my clothes and go straight to the bathroom.

I let the water take away all my anger and let a deep breath go, even though I hate the situation, maybe something good will come of all this. I just have to lay low and hopefully, I won't have to see him very often.

Walking into my bedroom, I notice him sitting, shuffling through his bag.

"You're so lame." He spoke, his back towards me.

"What are you talking about?" I try to stay chill, but everytime he speaks I just feel rage.

"You go to bed at ten, what are you, twelve?" He doesn't look up, and I feel the silence fill between us as I blink, not even knowing where to begin.

"Actually, you're wrong there. I am someone who needs to get up early tomorrow for school, I have responsibilities, and I don't like the way you're talking to me."

"Well get used to it princess... Why do you have all of these ugly paintings on your walls, your room doesn't look too great with these." He speaks, anger surges through me.

"They aren't ugly, they are- well, they're mine. Except the one by the door." I see him look up from his things and scan the painting. He stands to his feet, facing me, with a smirk on his face he cocks his head.

"Oh, right, that explains why it is the only good one here." He glare at him.

"Shut up, and don't talk to me like that. If you don't have anything kind to say to me, just keep your mouth shut why don't you?" I get under the covers and turn my back towards him.

"Ha, you wish I would do that." He chuckles, and I decide to not answer. I shut my eyes and try my best to fall asleep, and to hopefully wake up from this nightmare.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

2.4K 294 35
(Book 1)Chris is just a normal guy in high school but unfortunately he's deaf and he doesn't understand sign language. This makes his life harder. Ho...
6.1M 190K 37
Isobel's world is turned upside down when she meets a mysterious guy who reveals a devastating secret about her boyfriend...
17.9K 1.7K 39
"I want how it was before. I want it all with you in my life again... I'm asking you to stay." Miles Cobain-Smith An aloof and detached logician, he...
3.2K 243 31
Charlie doesn't want anything to do with love, while Julian gets a taste of it for the first time. How can two impossibly stuborn people even begin t...