The Fire Didn't Stop Her

By Sheriff_W_Angel

In "Fairest", Levana sets a trap to kill Selene, but fails. She is told that Selene died and that she is to b... More

She goes to Earth
Iko Walks Into a Palace-
My name ... Is Angry
Restless In The Palace
I Promise, Cress My Heart
Flowers and Elevators
Nightmares and New Thoughts
Decisions, Decisions
A Garden of Deception
Freeing The Jail Bird
The Truth Hurts
- But So Do Lies
Afraid and Alone
So This Is Love ...
Love's Alive and Love's Died
Cinderella Ran Down The Steps-
The Past Hurts Us All
A Necessary Bond
The Worst of Us All
This Is Insanity!!!
The Trouble of the World
The Sorrows Of The Mind
Don't Get Caught ...
Don't Give Up Hope
The Hijacked Speech
Crash, Crash, Fall to Earth!!!
Winter is Coming
Did I Just Get Engaged ... Again?
Fairytales Are Falling Down, Falling Down...
Spiraling Downward
Life Is Too Short
I Can't Chapter Titles
When Time Runs Low
Learning What You've Done
Tried and Failed
The Infiltration
How To Get Away With Murder.
Time To Say Goodbye

A Princess, A Farmgirl, and A Hacker

827 24 25
By Sheriff_W_Angel

Cress had been waiting anxiously near her monitors for the past hour and a half, praying for Cinder or her android to contact her and update her on the situation at hand. All she could do was wait for them. Mistress Sybil hadn't given her any assignments before she left for Earth, so until she got back, she'd be bored out of her mind.

She must have fallen asleep in her chair for another few hours before she heard a chiming from her netscreen, that blared in her head and jump scared her. She answered the comm request with speed as she recovered. The person on the other end was the friendly droid she had come to know as Iko. "Hi Cress. Just checking in to tell you that we broke Carswell Thorne out of jail and we are planning to start the plan tomorrow."

"I already knew that the convict was with you. There are already several reports about him being broken out of the prison. Others are trying to figure out what he was broken out to do. Thank the stars no one was there to witness him leaving."

"That was the princess's handy work. She glamoured the guards into leaving and made the prisoners fall asleep after Cinder disabled the cameras. All we have to do is wait until tomorrow and we're golden."

"Have you checked in on the convict at all since you broke him out? We don't want him running off before we need him," Cress warned.

"Got that covered. While the princess and Cinder are at the palace, I'm here on the Rampion with Carswell. He's not going anywhere."

"Great. So everything's in check?" Cress needed this plan to work. Because if it did, then that meant she would get off this stupid satellite. She could see the world, and she would be free.

"Yep. Also, we may have promised the ... convict, something in order to get him to agree to our terms."

"And that would be?"

"We said you would keep him out of jail as long as you could."

"You WHAT?!" she boomed. She was about to reply, saying that it would be unjust to do such a thing. Then, the door opened and a freed jail bird began to sing.

"Iko, who in the name of spades are you talking ... to?" He saw the screen and dawned on a confused face. He leaned in a bit and blocked out Iko. "Aces," he blurted. "Is that all hair?"

Normally, she would run and hide from such a comment, but this man was a low life that's one purpose was to do the bidding of others. Plus, he was hundreds of miles away from her. Why should she be afraid. "So, Iko. Why did you promise the convict that I would help him evade the law for the rest of his life?"

Before Iko could speak, Thorne budded in, irritated. "Whoa, okay. I asked you a question and you blow me off like nothing. Then, you refer to me as 'the convict'?"

"I'm sorry if I don't recognize you as much of a person, Carswell Thorne. But your records have given me a rather less than formidable impression of you. So if you would kindly allow me to continue with Iko-" she was cut off by the ignorant man.

"What records could you possibly have to make you think of me in such a manner?" he said it like he was as clean as a whistle.

"The records that tell me about the dozens of women you have been in intimate relationships with in the past year. The ones that also tell me you have little to no respect for females such as myself and that you think that this is all just a game that you can change the rules to as you please. I don't exactly appreciate that." Her voice had been stern and strong, more so than it ever had been. She had no idea what was making her so brave at the moment, but she enjoyed it immensely.

"Do you have any proof to support these accusations?" his voice, on the contrary, had become less blunt and more shaky.

"Yes. Enough that if what you did was a crime, you could be put away within moments of your arrest," she smiled with great pleasure at how she made this man feel small. After all, he deserved this, even if it was just for a moment. He made others feel like this on a daily basis. He should have a taste of his own medicine. It almost made her laugh at the fact that she might not even be up to his chin if she stood next to him. And she was the one who felt bigger and stronger.

"Now," Iko slurred. "Let's get back to the topic we were on before someone had to interrupt," she set an small glare over to Thorne. "It was the one thing that made him listen to us. If we hadn't said that you would protect him, then he would never have agreed."

"Wait, are you saying that this chick is the one you've been calling my 'reward holder'? She's a kid!"

"I'm not a kid, you idiot! I am the greatest hacker currently alive on both Luna and Earth! I also have a higher intelligence level than you ever will!" Cress barked. She hated being addressed as a mere child, when she knew she was so much more. Thorne silenced himself after that. So Cress and Iko were able to discuss the manner of his 'reward' without interruption.

"Please, just help the guy out when he needs it. Okay Cress," Iko begged.

After pondering her choices for a while, Cress gave in. "Fine, I'll help him out. But only if he doesn't act like he's invincible and goes around like the idiot that he is, committing crimes every second. If he takes it too far, he'll be on his own."

"Great," Iko answered. "Now, I believe a proper introduction is in order. Thorne, meet Cress. Cress, Thorne."

"Nice to meet you, Cress," Thorne mumbled.

"Likewise," she said pronounced and clearly, mostly to show him up. "I guess I'll be reading about the 'kidnapping' in the earthern articles in a few days."

"Yep. Just think of it. We are saving Earth from Queen Levana. Under the leadership of Princess Selene herself," Iko laughed a bit at her own words.

"See you later, Iko." Cress waved goodbye and killed the connection. She left her chair for her bed. She slipped under her covers and began to dream. Dream of a life outside of this space cage. Dream of what it would be like to walk on the lands of Earth. The thoughts gave her hope.

She would find her happy ending. She was sure of it.

..............

He was so peaceful as he slept. His chest rose and fell as his heart beat steadily. Cinder had turned to face Kai hours ago, and was still awake to see him. He had fallen back to sleep after she came to comfort him, which had been a life time ago.

His arms held her in the general vicinity of a few inched from his chest. Her head was pressed to just above his heart and the constant beating lulled her senses. His body heat surrounded her like a blanket. She loved the way he slightly smiled in his slumber. It was almost as if she could make him happy, even in his sleep. It made her smile too.

Her mind was still numb from the lack of sleep and the sound repeating over and over in her ears. Soon, she remembered that ... today's the day. Today is the day that she'd fake her kidnapping. The day she'd go to the marketplace and be taken away by a thief. The day she'd have to leave Kai. She was not only upset that she would have to leave the man she loved. But also frightened for him. This was the second night he had a nightmare. If they continued, he would have no one to comfort him. No one to sit beside him and assure him that none of what had scared him was real.

Last night's words trickled into her head. Now, she was not only leaving him, but she was breaking a promise she made. She had recognized that last night, and was remembering it now. She had promised that she would never leave him. That she would stay with him, forever. If no evil witches threatened her and his happiness, she would fulfill that agreement without a second thought. But there was someone who wanted to take away all they held dear. Her aunt, who couldn't be removed from the throne unless they were on Luna. So this plan was the fastest way to interrupt Levana's plans.

Her arms circled around Kai a while ago, so she spent all of the time she could holding him close. She memorized his scent, for she wouldn't see him until after the coronation. That would be in ... nine days. She would be gone for nine days. How could she live with herself after she came back? How could she live with herself now? This was a terrible thing to do to someone. To make them think that you are in danger. To convince them that you need help and they're powerless to stop the pain.

"Cinder," Kai whispered. "You awake?"

"Yeah," she sighed. Now that he was awake, she'd have less time with him before she left.

"Okay." He squeezed her a little and pressed his face into the top of her head.

They were frozen for the next few minutes. She counted the heartbeats of the prince who held her close. He felt her warmth radiate off her in subtle waves. They both hated the thought of leaving the bed. Once they did, they would have to part for hours that would seem like years. He didn't know that she was leaving him, and he couldn't. It would ruin the entire plan, and they'd both pay the price.

"Can we just stay here forever?" Kai asked. She laughed for half a second.

"I wish we could. But sooner or later, someone is going to come and get us."

"I could tell the staff not to come here. Then we could be alone," he offered.

"We have to get up some time," Cinder sighed. "And you said you'd take me back to the marketplace today." She needed to leave him. No matter how much it would hurt.

"Okay," he groaned. "Do you think we should eat first?" He turned onto his back and stored at her. His eyes sparkled with intensity, his smile was almost too much.

"Probably. I'd hate to get yelled at by Levana for missing breakfast .. again." She leaned to him and pecked him on the cheek. Blush spread on his face faster than she could say.

She slipped off the bed and headed for the door. He chased after her and grabbed her hand, yanking her into his arms. He drew her closer and let his lips cling to her neck. His lips slowly crept up to her ear, that he tugged on playfully. "Kai." Her voice airy and quiet. Her metallic parts became heavier by the second. Her bones, one by one, letting go of each other.

His head fell to her shoulder as he stopped romancing her. "Two more minutes?"

"I have to go get ready. And so do you," she reminded him.

"Please," he pouted. Cinder brought her hands to his neck. She lifted his head to face her. Pulling him in, she kissed him. Stars knows when she'd ever do that again. Or when he'd actually want her too.

...............

Scarlet woke up at five in the morning, like usual. Though it wasn't like she wanted to. She got out of her bed and looked out her window. The sun wasn't even up yet, the darkness still coating the land with a blanket. Just the way she liked it. She dawned on her jeans, T-shirt, and red hoodie. With her fully awakened mind, she crept down the hall, down the stairs, and out the door. Every morning she would slip out of the house to a little garden. The bushes that lined it were a secret entry way to her private spot. When the light from the morning sun peaked through, it bounced all around the space and reflected off a small pool.

But this morning, there were already a few beams of light in the area. That wasn't right, the place was practically sealed. Scarlet traced the beams all back to one point of origin. There was a hole in the outer wall of bushes. And what terrified her the most, was the the hole was large, very large. Something, or someone formed the hole and was ...

In one swift movement, Scarlet spun around and drew her pistol. There was a creature hiding here. And she hoped that it was anything but human. She prayed that it was a deer, a bear, or even a wolf. Those animals would be easier to escort out of here. But a human being, that could be a problem.

"I see you've met my brother," Scarlet twisted in every direction, but the source of the sound was impossible to find. "It was very stupid of him to come warn you. He should have just been a good little cub and followed the plan."

"Who are you?" she bellowed. "What do you want?" She heard the sound of rustling grass behind her. She turned to face it. A bulky man stood behind her. Much like the man who came to her doorstep last night.

"I want to fulfill my mission. I want to see Michelle Benoit suffer for her crimes against Luna. I want to see you suffer too." Scarlet could see the evil smile playing on his lips. "Maybe you can be mine after Luna takes over Earth."

"Not on your life, creep."

"No, on yours." With arms open wide, he lunged for her. She did her best to stay out of reach. She stood her ground as he came back to his feet. He was going to charge her again, but another figure charged him.

It was the man who she saw last night. But he was drastically different from what she remembered. His eyes full of hatred, bared canine teeth ready to shred, and fists pounding the guy who came before him. Blood seeped from the corners of the creep's mouth and nose. The two wrestled each other until one brought the other to the small pool and began to drown him.

"Stop! You're going to kill him!" Scarlet cried.

"That's the idea," the man who saved her growled.

She pointed her gun at him. He didn't even give her a glance. "Stop, NOW!"

He was silent as he held the other man's head under water. She knew he was to strong for her to stop him on her own. Her brain fuzzed, and the pistol became the best option.

The shot evaporated in the enclosed space. Streams of red flowed from the indent in his arm. "Did you just shoot me?"

"You didn't give me much of a choice." She readied her stance. "Unless you want another, you'll get off of him." He hesitated, but stepped away from him. Scarlet neared them with her gun trained on the one that was conscious. Once she reached the man breathing water, she dragged him out of the pond. She found a pulse while watching the other with narrow eyes. "Who are you? Who is he? And why are either of you here?"

"He is a soldier for the lunar crown. I was one, too. But I left because I didn't want any part of a mission we had been assigned."

"And what mission was that?"

"My group and I were going to abduct you and your grandmother to interrogate you."

Scarlet's mind screamed for her to run. She glanced back to the man she saved. He was out cold, but maybe not for long. Her heart rate quickened, instincts all turning to find a way to get out. One choice was to shoot them both and run for it. Another would be to just shoot the one standing.

"I quit that team because what we were doing was wrong. I was the leader, but when I left, my brother was chosen to take my place. He's the one who you should be scared of."

She hated that word. Scared. Did she look like a little girl, shaking in her boots. "Do I look like I'm scared? After all, I'm the one with the gun," she waved it for emphasis. "I don't know what the heck you two are. But I can guess that you're probably lunars. I'm not their biggest fan, if you know what I mean." She side stepped foot by foot to reach her secret entrance to her no longer so secret garden. "I suggest that you get out of here before I decide you're to dangerous to be kept alive."

"Scarlet. I know you couldn't kill me."

"I shot you, didn't I? How much harder would it be to stick another bullet in you?" It sounded so cold and merciless aloud. Nothing like how she usually spoke, nothing like she'd ever heard.

She could see him gulp from her position that was at least a dozen feet away. His eyes dulled down and his frame froze. "Fine. But if you kill me, then you'll have one less person to help you escape before others like him show up."

"I think my grandmother and I can get out of here just fine without you," she ran to the exit and up the path. She opened the door and locked it behind her. Those men were crazier than people made her and her grandmother out to be. She tucked her pistol back under her hoodie and sprinted up the stair to find her grandmother. She had a lot of explaining to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213 0 69
The story reviews the lives of two generations of werewolves who end up affected by the butterfly effect of a mistake the Moon Godess made eons ago...
67.9K 1.5K 6
In this third book in Marissa Meyer's bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and W...
2K 37 33
A Parody Abridgement to Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1), by Marissa Meyer. Your favorite fairy-tale friends are at it again- this time, in SPACE! Jo...
5.1K 366 21
[Under Editing] The First Annual Commonwealth Ball was a calamity for Cinder. Starting the night with a plan to get out of the country and then endin...