Nightmares and New Thoughts

It was close to 8:00 and the staff was starting to dismiss themselves to their rooms. Kai was so worn out, and yet so full of energy. He couldn't wrap his head around why the princess was trying to avoid him. She seemed to like him, to want to be friends. Oh, that's why. Kai just realized that Cinder wasn't too excited about the idea of them being in a relationship. "Yeah. Now that I know you have no intentions of forcing me to marry you, that would be great."

That's why she's avoiding me. But the thought only made Kai feel worse. So she doesn't feel the same way. Of course she doesn't. She's met dozens of other people who are better than you in every way.

Kai was crushing himself with his own subcontinents. He had no idea how he'd get Cinder to feel the same way. He couldn't glamour her, and he would have no intention of doing so. He needed her feelings toward him to be genuine, to be real. Just like his were, and are.

He sat on the edge of his bed. He didn't remember entering his room or even leaving the elevator. All he could think of was how self conscious and depressed this situation was making him.

Kai substituted his dress cloths for his nightwear and settled into his bed. If he could just go back in time to the night before the lunars had arrived, he'd be grateful. The emotions running through his mind sucked the life out of him. If only he could forget Cinder, or find a way to show her that love isn't all that bad.

..................

He was sitting in the viewing room of the palace. There was a video playing, but the sounds it made were not audible to him. The screen displayed a mess of colors that formed vague shapes.

Kai felt a form next to him. Something giving off heat that he was holding close. He turned his head, and saw a familiar brown ponytail and pair of eyes. Cinder. He was ecstatic to see her, and under the protection of his arm too. She seemed tired and sorrowful. The eyes that used to beam with joy were consumed by sadness. "Cinder, you okay?" She nodded and resumed staring at the floor.

She looked so upset. Kai had no control over his actions, and his arm brought her into his body. "I know you're lying. What's wrong?" Her head's only support was his shoulder.

"Nothing, Darling. I'm fine," Darling? Why did she call me that? He glanced down to his watch to find the time. When he looked to his left hand, he didn't see a small clock, but a ring. The kind a man gets after marrying someone. Oh no. That's why she called him that. They were married now. But when had that taken place?

A terrible thought crossed his mind. "Cinder?" She tore her gaze from the ground and placed it on him. The look on her face was almost enough to answer his question. "Did you ... marry me, because you wanted to?"

"We already talked about this," she sighed. "No. Levana manipulated us into doing it, remember. We had no choice. But even after that, she wasn't satisfied." Her head dropped again. He presumed it was to observe the patterns of the floor, but no. She hadn't been looking at the floor. She was looking at herself, specifically her stomach. She was pregnant. "She made this happen too. If you also forgot that."

Kai could tell she was struggling to hold back tears. Her body was so weak and rigid. Her expression was an exhibit of hopelessness and pure loss. How could this happen? He finally had what he wanted, to be with Cinder in a relationship. But this was not how he intended to live it. She wasn't happy in the slightest that she was with him. And to top it off, SHE WAS PREGNANT!?!?!? When in the name of Luna had this happened? And Levana made her do ... it?!

His thoughts were interrupted by the very devil he was just thinking of. Levana waltzed into the room and stood over them with an evil grin on her face. "Nice to see you two getting cozy." She moved to address just Kai. "I'm glad you're happy with your new relationship with my niece."