Reunited

By electric_forest

New kid Nick Ramirez moves back to the town he grew up in. He goes to high school and meets his former childh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue (Chapter 25)

Chapter 16

916 23 3
By electric_forest

{Song in video: We Came As Romans - To Move On Is To Grow}

After figuring out what song they would cover, they all finally agreed to "Breathe Today" by Flyleaf, since it's somewhat short and they all liked the song. They all met up in Lainey's basement; of course she had to put the sugar gliders, Pipsqueak and Lilith, in her room for the time being. Nick didn't bring his drums since Lainey has already had some.

"Okay let's try it out and see how it goes," Nick said. Lainey and Shayla nodded. "And...1, 2, 3."

Nick played the drums, Lainey played the guitar and sang, and Shayla was the backup singer. A few minutes later, they finished the first practice. "So how was it?" Lainey asked, looking at them curiously.

"I thought it was pretty good," Shayla said.

"That was great for the first try!" Nick exclaimed, grinning at them.

"You sure? I couldn't quite get that one scream right," Lainey said. "That's tough to do, even if it's only a few times. I've got to practice more on that part."

"You don't have to do that part if you don't want to."

She shot him a look. "Of course I want to do that part. I'm going to get it right, just you watch!"

Nick chuckled and then turned to Shayla. "Shayla I think you were excellent backup vocals."

Shayla's face lit up. "Really, you think so?" she said, beaming.

He smiled and nodded. "Let's practice a little more."

"Right on!" Lainey exclaimed and they practiced. They practiced, took some mini breaks, and practiced again for the next 4 hours.

"I feel like I'm going to die," Lainey said as she laid on the floor. "I can't believe we've been practicing all afternoon."

"I know right? My throat's a little sore," Shayla said, clearing her throat.

"That's probably enough for today," Nick said. "We did a great job though guys. I think we sound really good."

"I'm texting Lynn to bring us some food and drinks in the basement. I don't feel like moving," Lainey said while texting on her phone. Her phone buzzed back a few seconds later. "Lynn said she's cooking burgers and fries right now. It'll be done in about a half an hour."

"Cool," Nick said.

"Sounds good," Shayla said.

The three of them talked for the next half an hour. Nick and Lainey kept glancing at each other more often than usual. They also were a little more "touchy", Nick would tease Lainey and she would smack him playfully, or vice-versa. Shayla noticed, but kept it to herself of course. Hmmm wonder what's going on. Shayla thought to herself and smirked.

About a half an hour later, Lynn comes in with burgers and fries. "Here's your food," Lynn said as she set it on a table. "How's your band coming along?"

"We're getting better and better," Lainey said, grinning. As she put her burger on her plate and reached for ketchup and mustard, she accidentally brushed her arm against Nick's arm. She had the same weird feeling in her stomach, just like the other day when Nick helped her with the English homework. They looked at each other for a few seconds and Lainey bit her lip while Nick gave her a small smile.

"Um hello, I'd like some burgers and fries too, Lainey. What's the hold up?" Shayla spoke up.

Lainey felt her face flush and quickly looked away from Nick. "Oh...uh...I was just trying to decide if I should use both mustard and ketchup on my burger."

"But you always use mustard and ketchup." Shayla gave her a strange look, trying to hide her smile.

"Oh...well...I uh-" She stopped talking when she couldn't come up with anything else. She flustered around getting fries and then quickly sat on the couch that was in the basement. Jeez what's wrong with me? She thought to herself.

Nick looked at her amusingly, silently chuckling to himself.

When the rest of them got their food, they also sat on the couch. Nick sat right next to Lainey, almost too close since they touched knees and arms. They didn't move or shift away. Lainey felt even weirder than before but tried shrugging off the feeling again. She still looked a bit flustered as she ate her food.

Shayla sat next to Nick and Lynn.

Lynn got up. "Oh! I forgot to bring the homemade fruit punch in here. I'll be right back," she said.

"I'll help you get the cups Lynn," Shayla offered and got up, smirking in Nick and Lainey's direction.

When they both got out of the room, Lainey and Nick still didn't move away from each other, even though there was now plenty of room on the couch. "Lynn's fruit punch is really good," Lainey blurted out, trying to break the awkward silence. Why was there an awkward silence? We had quite a few of those the past few days. Why do I feel weird around my best friend? Ugh what's wrong with me? She thought to herself, getting a little bit frustrated.

"Can't wait to try it," Nick said, smiling and gazing at her.

When they kept looking at each other for a few seconds, Lainey said, "What is it?" She looked confused.

Now it was Nick's turn to feel flustered. "Oh...uh nothing!" He nervously brushed his hair back and quickly looked away, feeling his face redden.

"Is there something on my face?" She tried wiping the sides of her mouth.

"No, it looks great." Nick's face reddened even more. "I...uh...mean there's nothing on your face and that's great."

She looked even more confused but decided to laugh it off. "Oh okay."

Lynn and Shayla came back with the fruit punch and cups. "Here's the punch," Lynn said.

"Cool!" Lainey exclaimed a little too loudly.

Lynn raised an eyebrow and looked at her in amusement. "Someone's excited about my fruit punch." Her, Shayla, and Nick chuckled.

Lainey's face reddened again and she laughed nervously. "Yeah...it's that good."

They got cups and filled it with the fruit punch. "You're right Lainey, Lynn's fruit punch is really good," Nick said, taking a few sips of it. He turned to Lynn. "And this is homemade?"

Lynn nodded. "Yes it sure is," she replied. "We've been having it homemade for years since Lainey loved the Hawaiian Fruit Punch when she was younger. She always drank a lot of it and ended up throwing it up so we decided homemade would be better."

Lainey's mouth dropped open. "Lynn don't tell them that!" she exclaimed, feeling mortified. She didn't know why she felt a little more self-conscious than usual around her best friends. Normally she wouldn't care if they knew about that but today she felt different about it.

Lynn looked confused. "Oh...sorry..."

"Anyone want any dessert?" Lainey was desperate to change the subject.

"There are some white chocolate macadamia nut cookies in the kitchen."

"Alright!" Nick exclaimed and grinned, slightly glancing at Lainey.

They went into the kitchen, took the cookies in the basement, and then watched TV while eating the cookies.

Nick and Lainey both reached at the same time for a cookie, brushing against each other's hands.

"Um you first," Lainey said, feeling flustered all over again. She took her hand away and she felt her face flush.

"Uh...thanks," Nick said awkwardly.

Shayla giggled and Lynn watched them in amusement.

They looked back at the TV.

"Jeez Lainey, how many cookies have you had already?" Nick asked, noticing Lainey stuffing her face with cookies. "You must have had like five already." He chuckled in amusement.

Lainey rolled her eyes. "I only had four, moron," she said with her mouth full.

"I'm sorry I couldn't understand that." He looked at her in amusement.

She raised her index finger up, meaning wait a second, and swallowed her cookie a few seconds later. "I said I only had four." She reached for another cookie.

"But now you're having five."

"Whatever." She rolled her eyes again and ate the cookie.

Lynn squinted her eyes at them suspiciously and smiled.

Shayla smiled and hid her laughter.

They hung out for another hour or so and then Nick and Shayla headed home.

**********

A/N: They finally came up with a song and practiced a ton! :D

Why do you think things seem weird between Nick and Lainey lately? ;O

READ

VOTE

COMMENT

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 419 12
Dane Taylor wasn't particularly social. In fact, he didn't have any friends. His anxiety and shy disposition made it difficult for him to even intera...
56.4K 1.8K 72
Sebastian has been through a lot after realizing that he was gay. His parents took it in stride but his school and town were less than friendly about...
341 8 34
Ashton Anderson is a boy trying to discover himself in highschool along with his three best friends also trying his best not to get involved with his...
124K 4.4K 42
Alison Scott life has become an out of control mess. To try and solve the problems she faces in the present she first must think back to where it all...