The Fifth Element

By Sammmy134

In Elemental magic you can be one of four magic types; water, fire, earth, and air. The only problem is Viole... More

♤Chapter 1
♢Chapter 2
♧Chapter 3
♡Chapter 4
♤Chapter 5
♢Chapter 6
♧Chapter 7
♡Chapter 8
♤Chapter 9
♢Chapter 10
♧Chapter 11
♡Chapter 12
♤Chapter 13
♢Chapter 14
♧Chapter 15
♡Chapter 16
♤Chapter 17
♢Chapter 18
♧Chapter 19
♡Chapter 20
♤Chapter 21
♢Chapter 22
♧Chapter 23
♡Chapter 24
♤Chapter 25
♢Chapter 26
♧Chapter 27
I want to Know About You
♡Chapter 28
♤Chapter 29
♢Chapter 30
♧Chapter 31
♧Chapter 32
♢Chapter 33
♤Chapter 34
♢Chapter 35
♡Chapter 36
♤Chapter 37
Epilogue
Prologue Part 2
Part 2 Chapter 1
Part 2 Chapter 2
Part 2 Chapter 3
Part 2 Chapter 4
Part 2 Chapter 5
Part 2 Chapter 6
Part 2 Chapter 7
Part 2 Chapter 8
Part 2 Chapter 9
Part 2 Chapter 10
Part 2 Chapter 11
Part 2 Chapter 12
Part 2 Chapter 13
Part 2 Chapter 14
Part 2 Chapter 15
Part 2 Chapter 17
Part 2 Chapter 18
Part 2 Chapter 19
Part 2 Chapter 20
Your Million Reads Choice
Part 2 Chapter 21
Part 2 Chapter 22
Part 2 Chapter 23
Part 2 Chapter 24
Part 2 Chapter 25
Part 2 Chapter 26
Part 2 Chapter 27
Author's Note
Part 2 Chapter 28
Part 2 Chapter 29
Part 2 Chapter 30
Part 2 Chapter 31
Part 2 Chapter 32
Part 2 Chapter 33
Part 2 Chapter 34
Part 2 Chapter 35
Part 2 Chapter 36
Part 2 Chapter 37
Part 2 Chapter 38
Part 2 Chapter 39
Part 2 Chapter 40
Part 2 Chapter 41
Part 2 Chapter 42
Part 2 Chapter 43
Part 2 Chapter 44
Part 2 Chapter 45
Part 2 Chapter 46
Part 2 Chapter 47
Part 2 Chapter 48
Part 2 Chapter 49
Part 2 Chapter 50
Part 2 Chapter 51
Part 2 Chapter 52
Part 2 Chapter 53
Part 2 Chapter 54
4 Million Read Special
Your 4 Millon Read Choice Part One (A baby)
Your 4 Million Read Choice Part 2 (Violet's Wedding)
A little snipet
Your 4 Million Read Choice Part 3 (Catching up with Arnold)
Festival 
New Adventure

Part 2 Chapter 16

28.4K 1.8K 122
By Sammmy134

Marker; Reads 823456 Votes 44867

AN; *Shrugs* At least it only took me three weeks this time to update.- Sam<3

I woke with a start to darkness and almost complete silence. The only sounds came from water dripping into a puddle and the quiet breaths of people caught in the tendrils of deep sleep. My right arm itched and I reached over absently to scratched it, but I quickly withdrew it when my fingers brushed up against something hard.

Slowly, my eyes grew accustomed to the blackness and I was able to see what was around me. There were people in the beds beside me, the dripping was coming from a clear glass jar on a medal stand that stood to my right. The hard thing I had felt was a tube connected to it, which just happened to be inserted into my arm. It was then I understood. I was in the medical tent.

I sat up slowly , unsure of why I had woken up so suddenly. My hair clung stubbornly to my skin like wavy vines on a stone wall, and I had to do a serval sweep before it was no longer inspiring my vision. Then I remembered why I had woken up so suddenly. Henry. I had had a dream about him. A bad dream. But unfortunately, not all nightmares are just dreams.

My stomach turned with worry and a gripped the edge of the pale blue sheets until they crinkled. I was in a bed I didn't remember anyone putting me in.

Arnold had said that the doctors had found him and he wasn't responding. What if he never responded again? I had a brief image of him slowly wasting away in a bed, never to be really alive again.

Stop it! I commanded myself.
I didn't know anything for sure! I could've interpreted what I heard  wrong or even imaged it. Plus, just look at the messenger! It was that weird Arnold kid. He could've been making it up to get a reaction out of me. I had the feeling that he would be that kind of person that got entertainment out of the misery of others.

"Violet," a voice whispered from the dark. I couldn't tell if it had come from a boy of girl, just that it had said my name.

I peered into the dark "Who's there?" I called out, my voice shaking slightly.

"Violet," a different voice whispered this time. I'm not sure if it was a boy or girl again. The sex was indistinguishable, it just sounded like a different individual.

"Violet," yet another voice whispered and then, "Violet! Violet! Violet!" at least ten different voices joined in at, and all at once my bed was surrounded by pale men. Each man was mutilated in some different way. All their skin was clawed up like they had been attacked by something with sharp claws, something like a griffin. They stared at me with empty eye sockets and began to paw at the sheet that was covering me with their thin pale fingers.

I didn't even scream, I just let out a small gasp, and reached over and ripped out the IV from my arm. It hurt more than I expected it to but I gave the pain very little pause. My need to get out of this bed greatly outweighed it.

I closed my eyes, threw off the covers, and bolted out of the bed. I"The moment by feet hit the ground, I stumbled and my eyes flew open briefly to see that I was not surrounded by ten ghosts anymore, but at least fifty. Even worse, they were standing between me and exit to this tent. To get out, I would have to get through them, a lot of them.

I closed my eyes once again and ran forward. I had the sensation of moving through something that wasn't quiet air, wasn't quite solid, but extremely cold. The flaps of the tents brushed lightly against my skin upon my exit, and I found myself under the protective blanket of the night sky.

A cool breeze brushed past me, and I shivered. I looked down to see that I was wearing nothing but a blue cotton dress. All around me, figures moved in and out of tents, gray-haired women and clusters of people huddled around fires. Their voices and laughter floated through the air and engulfed me with a feeling of warmth and safety. Inside the tent was where the dead lingered. Out here was where the living were.

"Honey?"

I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder, "I turned to see a gray-haired woman clothed in a short light blue dress. The typical uniform of a nurse. What are you doing out of bed..?" she trailed off when her big, cow like brown eyes traveled down to the gaping wound on my arm from where I had ripped out the IV.

"I'm not going back in there," I said hurriedly and backed away from her when she reached for me.

She gave me a patient smile and reclosed the distance in a couple steps, "Honey, you can't stay out here wearing that and..." her smile dropped and her eyes fixed on something behind me. Her eyes widened in fear, and her mouth dropped into a gaping expression.

I turned around and my eyes fixed on the figure of Neeva, a Neeva that only had a right arm,  He stood against the night sky with a dismembered arm grasp of his now one remaining hand.

Well, I guess the thing about my father losing his one arm had been true and not misheard or mistaken. Like me, he was dressed in the same blue cotton straight dress. Locks of black hair clung to his brow, like he had been sweating profusely. His skin was pale, a lot paler than usual. His dark purple eyes were sunken into his white voice.

"In there is not the best place for recovery for people like us," Neeva said, and the nurse nodded and took two small shuffling steps backward, before turningand rushing back inside the tent.

Neeva nodded at me, "The recently made ghosts woke me up too, come, daughter," he said and motioned towards me.

"Why do you have that?" I asked and pointed to the dissembled arm in his possession. Neeva's gaze dropped to it. He closed his lips in a tight thin line like he didn't want to talk about it, but I wasn't going anywhere with him until he explained himself.

"Oh, you are referring to this?" he finally said and held up the pale limb higher, "Ah, I occasionally find myself plagued with great hunger during the night, and I sooth it with the flesh of the dead."

My mouth popped open in a silent scream and he turned his gaze to my face and caught the expression on my face. He laughed and his eyes swept over my face, "I'm just joking daughter, but perhaps that joke wasn't that well received," he said slowly dropping the smile that had come with his laugh.

I placed one hand on my heart and felt just how hard it was beating against my chest "You bet that wasn't well received! Don't joke about something like that again! But seriously, what's up with the arm!?"

Neeva looked down at the place his arm had been and then back at me "If you haven't noticed daughter, I am currently one arm short. A griffion consumed it while I was summing the dead with you. This is my replacement."

I gave him a knowing smile, "Haha very funny, but seriously. What is up with the arm!?"

Neeva frowned at me, "I told you already daughter it's my replacement. I tell you no lie this time nor jokes. I made a bargain with the spirt of the body for which this arm once belonged and he let me have it," he continued "Come with me as I fulfill it," he finished and began to briskly wall away, while I stood and processed if for a coupled of seconds.

I jogged to catch up with him. It was then I realized I was barefoot too.  I felt the blades of cool grass tickle my toes.

I was totally out of breath by the time I reached him. I mean, I wasn't in the most fantastic shape but I wasn't a total slob. I

"So you're not kidding?" I asked slowly, the wind picked up my black curls and blew them around my face.

"No daughter, I am not," he said and kept walking.

"So you're telling me that you are going to attach that thing to yourself and it's going to become your arm?" I asked, not believing those words even while they exited my mouth.

Neeva shook his head, "Not before I pay the price. Can you hold this for me?" he asked and held out the arm to me.

I let out a small yelp and hopped away from him, " No way I'm touching that thing," I said with utter disgust and pointed a shaky figure towards it, "I might have the ability to raise the dead, but that doesn't mean I'll be touching that arm anytime soon."

Neeva stopped walking and held it out to me, "No I don't want you to hold it itself, I want you to hold what it is holding," he said, and that's when I noticed something was dangling from the pale white fingers. It glimmered a blue gold in the dim lighting of the moon.

I approached the arm cautiously "You mean this?" I asked and Neeva nodded. I reached out cautiously and grabbed it and shuddered it was in my own living hand. From what I could feel, whatever I was holding was on a fine metal chain on that chain was something hard and smooth.

My father withdrew the hand from my close vicinity "Thank you," Neeva said with a completely emotionless expression and began walking again. I fell into step besides him. I balled my hand into a tight protective ball around my newly acquired object.

We drew near one of the camp fires that doted our current night time landscape, Neeva grabbed me and yanked me away from the warm glowing light and until my back touched his chest. He clamped a hand over my mouth and I let out a small squeak of surprise which was muffled under his palm.

He leaned close to my ear, and his breath tickled my ear and I leaned away from him slightly creeped out by our close vicinity. Technically he was my father and the father of my new baby sister, but technically I didn't know him well enough for him to be doing this.

"We don't want anyone to see us, at least not when we are participating in activities dealing with the dead. It makes people uneasy and everyone is already uneasy enough."

He let go of me and I quickly stepped away from him and turned to face him, "Is Henry dead?" I asked abruptly and I felt the tears begin to stream down my face.

Neeva blinked at my unexpected question , "What is the meaning of the sudden question?" he asked.

"I don't know, you said something about dead and I thought of Henry," I began to tug at my hair and began to pace back and fourth on the grass, "because the thing about your arm turned out to be true, and so did the thing about mom being in labor, and Henry wasn't waking up..." I stopped when I noticed the way Neeva was looking at me.

He opened his mouth slowly and I stopped pacing and focused my attention on him,

"Daughter, I don't know if you fully understand the extent of our abilities, but they do not include mind reading," he paused for a second like he was trying to figure out what to say next. His eyebrows nitted together and created a crease on his forehead " What I think I'm trying to imply is I think what you're saying out loud is probably making more sense in your head, but it is not making any sense out loud. All I was asking if you was to try to move through here undetected..."

Neeva's head jerked up suddenly and he started wide-eyed into the sky, "But we do not have time for you to try to explain your words, we must hurry! If we do not fulfill this now, I cannot have this arm," he said and turned and ran, leaving me to follow behind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

332 42 18
On the big blue Earth, supernaturals live hidden into the mortal life. The clićhe. Violet is your average mortal, or so she believes. She must save t...
244 28 23
~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "Not Long ago, In a Place not far from here, is a planet called Lydian. Lydian was a lot like this weird planet 'Earth'. That is, very...
1.3K 385 35
This story is about two fairies who where twins but got separated after a war took place in fairy land and where sent away to protect them and now t...
1.9M 43.3K 53
"Your no mate of mine! You're weak and not worthy of being the Luna." He shouts, but I didn't filinch once. "I, Alex, future Alpha of the DragonFire...