"What's depression like?" He...

By EnergyAddicts

I'm sorry if this story is bothering you. But if it is, it's clearly not meant for you. "What's depression li... More

"What's depression like?" He asked.
Part II
Smile because you kicked depressions butt ツ
Things I hate
Replying to comments
"I survived, I recovered, I'm strong now."
The Suicide Booth
The 22 questions
March 28, 4 pm.
The inbox message
Cause and Effect
It's...
My Social Anxiety
I love you.
I'm sorry.
Be what he could've been.
Numb days
October 26th '13
A small kind of rant
Happy Holidays ☃
February 28th '14
Don't cry. Never cry.
Rambles of my mind
So here we are.
Most books have a happy ending.
My 18th birthday
A lot of loose ends
Don't let friendships go to waste.
Don't let friendships go to waste II
Ups and downs.
In memory of the ones I couldn't save.
Growing up too fast.
Self-harm is self-harm.
Changes depression makes.
New year's resolutions.
To the fullest.
Making a great decision.
The official trailer!
What makes me happy?
A taboo.
I'm exhausted.
In my perfect world.
I am truly sorry.
Finding a purpose.
A little life update
Be born again
The highly requested "how to" chapter.
Mason Finn Stone
Paris 11-13-2015
The past few weeks
self-diagnosis
Relationships and friendships.
Being alone.
I'm scared.
In a couple of years.
I carry around a backpack.
Loneliness
From alone to lonely.
Being alone.
Difficult family situations.
Family
Broken plates and unfixed hearts
Controlling
Hello again
Love
Things get better - I promise

It's not romantic.

1K 132 35
By EnergyAddicts

Over the past few years, I have gone through a long struggle of dealing with my problems. I've gone through a lot of different stages of self-destruction. 

For me, knowing first hand what it's like to hit rock bottom, it's very hard to see people romanticizing things like depression, self-harm or even suicide. 

An article pointed out to me that there's now a trending hash tag on instagram with people encouraging others or praising those who have commited suicide. 

I wasn't going to write this chapter, because I know many of you are actually struggling with serious problems. With depression, anxiety or eating disorders. But I also know that those of you have the same annoyance with this new "hype".

Being depressed is not a fashion. Cutting yourself is not cool. Starving yourself is not a great way to get attention. Saying that you're going to commit suicide, whiles you know that you are not, is not brave. None of those things are pretty. None of those things are romantic.

It's one of the reasons I have a lot of trouble with the site Tumblr, where pictures of pretty girls with an empty bottle of vodka and a cigarette hanging out of the corner of their mouth, catches my eye lot. Included with a very deep quote about how they are so alone and how nobody will ever understand them. How it's them against the world. Make-up running down their faces, hair wild and a look on their face as if they want to beat the crap out of you.

That's not mental illness. Let me tell you that. First of all, it's not posting pictures of what you are going through with some very inspirational quote. It's hiding in your room, by yourself. Sure, it's sometimes smoking, it's sometimes drinking, it's sometimes starving yourself, it's sometimes binging food. But none of that is every portrayed with people who have demons in their mind. 

It's not romantic.

Being depressed is not romantic. Having anxiety is not romantic. Not being able to sleep on your stomach because your hip bones are sticking out too much, is not romantic. Having the urge to order food fifteen times a day because you can't stop eating your feelings away, is not romantic. Being afraid to go to public places, is not romantic. 

"Hating people" is not a mental illness. Telling people how you feel so fat so you skipped breakfast once, is not a mental illness. Telling people how you're hungry all the time so you could eat everything, is not a mental illness. Feeling sad and expressing how you could totally kill yourself right now, is not a mental illness.

And mental illnesses are not romantic. Having a mental illness, having scars, being a skeleton, is not romantic.

So stop making it seem like it. Stop making younger people feel like they're not cool if they're not depressed, don't have an eating disorder, don't have cuts or burns or smoke or drink or whatever. Stop ruining the next generation. 

It's not romantic.

It never will be.

Stop acting like it is.

- Kyran

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 334 30
My life in ruins, this is where I'm at currently. I was living a lie, lying to people and most importantly to myself. You can act straight all you...
697 63 12
-Let's get this straight. From a dead end job to a useless crazy ex boyfriend- my happiness is with my best friend yet the fear of our relationship e...
Unmask By L.E.S

Non-Fiction

1.7K 274 22
"You trust me, don't you?" he says with a smile, that smile. It had fooled everyone, even me at some point, and for the first time I want to scream w...
394 36 30
Unable to age, unable to die. So many people want me, but they can't have me. They want to experiment on me and use my blood to make more people like...