Chronicles of the Brotherhood...

Od Lucius

For strength to be gained, one must first be burdened with ache. For resolve to be stiffened, one must first... Více

Act I: The City of Reliegh
Act II: Falling for Vengeance
Act IV: The End of Aimlessness
Act V: House Silverclaw
Act VI: The Sons of Clan Foulcrest
Act VII: The Line of Asteroth
Act VIII: An Attempt at Quiet
Act IX: Tribulation of the Demon Slayer
Act X: The Fall of Tenbarge
Act XI: The Curious Man Called L
Act XII: Wolves and Wings
Act XIII: Inopportune Circumstance
Act XIV: The Raven's Approach
Act XV: The Good, The Bad, And the Brotherly
Act XVI: The Code of Brothers
Act XVII: The Pursuit of Justice
Note from the Author

Act III: Trading Wings for Fangs

214 5 4
Od Lucius

 The cold night was quiet and for the most part still. All of the shadows cast by the moon were well defined and dark enough to hide almost all brightness from view. Shadows moved through the streets of the small fishing town set on the River Sacra that ran through the western kingdom of Mundara. An average sized town, shutting down after another long day. Going dark except for the lanterns and lamps posted on the streets.

Stretching from the quiet town were low rolling hills perched on which were various crops and wooded area for game. The roads coming from all directions were dirt and worn down to a fine powder. Grains and forage waved in the light wind. The fog from the river began to roll over the terrain, covering no higher than the knee of an average person.

Across the dirt road strode a cloaked figure, a hood shrouding his face. Silver hair fell through the mouth of the hood in long, unkept strands that caught the moon light. His cloak was tinted black and hid his body in almost completely. The brisk pace of his stride parted the fog gently, only to close up quickly behind him.. Large black boots protruded from the hem with every step he took.

The figure entered the town. So as to not attract attention, he kept pace, searching for a stopping place that he could disappear. When his eyes fell upon a small cathedral in the center of town, his destination was clear.. Hesitantly he strode into the town square, making for the doors. The figure paused to look up at the gallows that stood just off center of the town square.

Three bodies, choked to death by the ropes tied around their necks hung there. Blood seeped from their pale lips. Their bodies were defiled and badly branded with signs of torture. A sign hung from the ledge of the gallows reading: "Beware ye who defy the House of Narsik."

The cloaked figure chuckled at the sign, then looked back up to the bodies. His blue eyes glinted in the dim street lights. He fell to his knees and folded his hands in prayer. He recited a prayer for each of the deceased. His eyes fell open and drifted around the square, realizing this may draw unwanted attention. He stood and walked to the large wooden doors of the cathedral. As he passed the bodies he glanced once more at them and saw something that intrigued him. The bodies all had two puncture wounds on their necks

The cloaked figure shuddered at the thought and came to the doors. He knocked twice, then stepped back and waited for a moment. There came no answer. He knocked again and the door was immediately opened by a young girl, dressed in simple robes of the clergy; a red and white, high collared robe with a hood that slumped over her head. A rope was tied around her waist fastening the trappings to her waist. Around her neck she wore a ruby amulet, dangling rom a long silver chain.

"Yes, sir?" she asked quietly, holding up a lantern to illuminate his face. "How may we be of service to you?"

"My name is Seganeous Arillius," the figure spoke in a hushed voice. "I have been traveling for weeks and I was searching for asylum for the night."

"I'm sorry Mr. Seganeous Arillius," the priest girl began, "I am not allowed to accept pilgrims at this hour."

"Who is at the door of our parish, Genevieve?" came a womanly voice.

The girl, Genevieve, quickly spun around letting the door open even further and gave a low bow holding there as a woman stepped into the light. Seganeous lowed his gaze to show a breath of humility.

"A pilgrim, madam," Genevieve replied still bent. "But I informed him that I was not allowed to accept him into the confines of the parish after dark."

The woman gazed at Seganeous with dark eyes hidden barely behind a veil. She was dressed otherwise in a fitted gown that reached down to her feet, elegantly ornamented with golden threads on top or the base red. Her cowl was of a similar style only gold with red thread work. She wore the same medallion as Genevieve with the addition of a sash of hanging trinkets across her hip.

Seganeous' gaze did not falter as she stood in the faint light. He pushed his glasses up and dusted off his cloak correcting his posture. The two's eyes met and he was overcome with an essence of fear and allure. Genevieve stood up and stood beside the door for her madam to continue.

"What did you say your name was?" the woman asked, brushing strands of her brunette hair off her shoulder.

Seganeous bowed to her low, likewise to Genevieve, before returning to a straight posture. He spoke quickly, "I am Seganeous Arillius, I humbly ask your pardon to stay a night in your care."

The woman looked him over for a moment, her piercing eyes shown through the veil and Seganeous could feel their gaze upon him. She responded, "I don't see why not, good Seganeous. The Narsik Parish is open to all of those weary from travel."

Seganeous removed his hood. His eyes had become sullen from the lack of sleep, his cheeks sunken in. "I am eternally grateful, ma'am," he said.

"Think nothing of it," she cooed motioning to Genevieve. "Genevieve, here, will take you to your room for the night and show you to the baths. After that if you hunger I shall have a meal prepared for you. Again, welcome to the Narsik Parish."

Seganeous' eyes flashed as he finally made the connection. He moved uneasily as the two women took a step to turn away. "Pardon me," he stammered, "you are of the House Narsik?"

"Why yes, I am," the woman replied her voice almost musical. "Why do you ask?"

"Then you are responsible for the deceased dangling by their necks just outside your parish doors." Seganeous siad.

"Not by my hand do they hang, but my brother's," she said. "They defied the law of this quaint hamlet of a town and paid the price for their crimes."

"I see," Seganeous replied, glancing over hois shoulder to catch one more glimpse at the gallows.

"Do you have a problem with our family's methods?" the woman asked, raising an eyebrow and puckering her lips.

"Not a one, my lady," Seganeous returned his gaze to the woman. "Criminals deserve to be punished."

"Please refer to me as Seras, good Seganeous," she said as she turned and walked away leaving Genevieve with him.

Seganeous caught himself starring after her as she departed the foyer. He removed his glaces and pinched the bridge of his nose, to wave away the image that now seemed to be seared into his mind. The rhythm of her hips as she walked away. He fought the urge to smack himself to assist in the ridding of the image, but he didn't want to arouse suspicion from Genevieve.

Genevieve spoke up from beside him, "Lady Seras is a generous woman, do not insult her by gazing at her with such a glance."

Seganeous shot a glance at her, full of shock and surprise. He didn't realize he had starred long enough to be noticed. He cough, drawing his chin low to conceal the flush of red coming across his cheeks. The embarrassment took hold of his tongue and he could only bow in shame.

Genevieve stepped in front of him and stood there for a moment studying him. After a moment she took a breath and spoke softly, "please follow me."

Seganeous did not speak as the two walked down the dark corridors, the only light coming front a lamp in Genevieve's hands. The parish was bigger on the inside than it seemed on the outside. The two walked silently through halls and small junction rooms to the lower level. Seganeous silently noticed the paintings on the walls of divine beings coming down with hellish punishment on the mortal world. He recognized the beings, but couldn't place his finger on where he had seen them.

Genevieve led the angel down a deeper flight of stairs to a long dark hallway, the walls lined with tall candle sticks that burned, flickering in drafts of wind. Along the walls stood sturdy wooden doors with a single barred window peering inside to a dark room where almost nothing could be seen. Seganeous scanned the area wondering why such a place existed within a parish. The two stopped at a door at the end of the hall and Genevieve put her hand on the brass rail to open it.

"I'll open it myself, Miss Genevieve," Seganeous said reaching for the rail.

Genevieve wrenched the door open surprisingly easily and stepped to the side bowing her head. Seganeous wiped his look of surprise from his face and nodded. Genevieve was a frail looking girl even from view of her robe; he couldn't fathom how she had opened that door.

"This will be where you will stay tonight," she muttered. "Now please follow me to the baths for your cleaning."

Seganeous nodded and followed her back through the hall and back up the stair case towards a door that light poured from through. The angel smelled the aromas of scented oils and soaps and the faint hint of the steam rolling through the air. The smells and feel of the humid air sent a shock through his body.

Genevieve stopped at the door and bowed low saying, "I will leave you to yourself."

Seganeous walked inside and saw almost nothing but the heavy steam that filled the room. Grated openings on the ceiling let the steam escape as it rose, but it rose slow enough to mask most of the room. There were four inset baths around the room, divided by stone. Each seemed to be heated on the same temperature. Along the wall ran a long bench stacks of folded towels sat in various places.

Seganeous removed his cloak and set it on the long bench. He glanced around the room, found nothing out of the ordinary. He removed his boots and overcoat, setting them with the cloak as neatly as he could manage on his rising nerves. Next came his shirt. He paused to study the foggy room intently before removing his dishevelled trousers and quickly slipping into the nearest inset bath.

He let the steam come over him so his tensed body could finally relax and bask in the serenity that was this privilege. His hair spilled out over the water in matted patches, the tips slowly splitting as the water wormed through each follicle. He sank deeper into the pool letting the water come up to his nose and closed his eyes.

There came a sudden splash. Seganeous opened an eye to peer around the room, searching for the source of the sound. He found nothing. Uncertain, but willing to shrug the notion away, he closed his eye again. The splash came again. He open both eyes, scanning the fog filled room with care. Still he found nothing.

Seganeous felt a sort of dizziness set in. He applied pressure to his temples. He considered that the steam was the cause of the sudden onset, but still he was curious about the splash. He strained his eyes to focus in the veils of steam.

On a fourth pass surveying the baths he suddenly caught the shifting of a figure, shrouded by the steam. He focused on it, moving forward just a few paces. The figure inhabited the bath catty-corner from him, but his curiosity was beginning to get the better of him. He froze when the figure registered in his vision.

Nothing could mistake the brunette curls, the physique of the figure that danced in the steam before him. The steam only gave way small glimpses at her body but the shadow shone through the intense whiteness. Lady Seras danced among the curtains of steam letting their presence wash over her and cleanse her flawless skin. Her body was breath taking, heart stopping to the caught off guard angel across the baths from her. She moved with grace not acknowledging Seganeous.

The angel slumped back to the far side of the bath. His mouth hung open, only closing as he sank back into the water. His blood rushed downward. Steeling his nerves and pumping lust all through his body. His muscles tensed. With every breath, he fought the urges that began to overcome him. He felt his breath become shaky. He dipped down so any sounds would be muffled from beneath the water level.

The angel sat watching her till the water became cold and until after her form faded from sight in the fog. Time passed as his eyes sat set from their entranced state. When he finally pulled himself out of the water he found that he had been aroused more than he thought. He grimaced in his own disgust and shame. He reached for his cloak. In its place he found a robe.

Though confused at first, he picked up the robe and slipped it over his still damp self. He departed the steam filled room and followed the path from memory to the stair case Genevieve led him to earlier.. His mind lingered on what grace he had just witnessed. He descended into the long dungeon like hallway. It had an eerie feel about it, something Seganeous did not enjoy.

He found his door had been left open to him. He closed it behind him, taking a moment to peer down the hallway cautiously. When the latch was set he sat on the bed provided in the room. He lingered on Seras and the lust he felt for her. His passion was unyielding, it was unsettling to a man who had carried himself so chaste. He was so lost in thought, he didn't feel himself drift off, falling back onto the bed.

- -

Mist swirled around the angel as he looked around, frantically, for a sign of reality in the madness. The soft tone of white became a dark and horrifying red that reeked of rotting flesh. He was surrounded by the smell and sight of coursing nothingness. He felt a heavy pressure come down on him, he was brought low.

Suddenly the scene flashed in front of him. He fell to his knees tremble and give out as he succumb to the retelling of his memory. His wife lay sprawled out against a wall her dress torn open and stained with blood. A pool of the red fluid mixed with the remains of a shredded uterus. He saw the mangled form of his unborn child lay dead, ripped from its home. The fetus still strung to the umbilical cord eyes shut tight.

Then came a shortness of breath and lightness in the head as he struggled to remain whole and not give into the madness. He was petrified, stone in the wake of the sight. He felt numb and suddenly fell forward, laying against the cold stone starring up at his love's lifeless eyes and pale lips.

"Oh, Divine, no! Why? Oh please no, not my Gweneth, not my beloved Gweneth!" he looked to see a shadow of himself staggering to the body, dressed in the trappings he wore that day in Reliegh. He watched a memory play before his eyes. The figment of his sub conscious reached out leaning on a crumbled wall.

The scene played before him. He saw the look of desparity, the paleness of his face, the redness of his own eyes. He approached slowly, hesitantly. He could recall the uncertainty, the desperate hesitation he felt not knowing what to do. There came a cry off and away. Lucius had discovered his home, He looked back to Gweneth, tears streaming down his face. The angel removed his glasses to wipe the tears, but they refused to stop there.

"Gweneth," he stammered breathing heavily. "My sweet, beloved Gweneth! How could this have happened? You can't have died yet; you were going to have our child, our baby! You can't have died yet! Oh please! Gweneth don't leave me!"

Seganeous watched himself fall to his knees and pull the corpse of his wife into his arms and craddle her. On and on he plead and wept over her. Only when is devestation had reached it's pinacle did he cry out. He watched his arms shake uncontrollably. He watched him kiss the lifeless body a thousand times hoping that each kiss would reach her where ever she was.

Outside of the scene, Seganeous bowed his head and prayed frantically, pleading for the nightmare to be over. Begging to be pulled up from this depth that he had sunken into to endure. He wanted out, he didn't want to relive the devastation again. He wasted out. He thought he had locked it away, far away in a place he knew better than to venture. The understanding how flawed that plan had been terrified him.

"This is all your fault," cooed a menacingly familiar voice.

Seganeous looked up to see his shadow gently running his fingers trough Gweneth's hair. His eyes hard, his jaw set. The looked over his wife, tears still streaming down his face, but there was an unsteady calmness to his expression.

"All of this was your fault, Seganeous," the shadow said again, this time looking toward his vessel.

"What?" Seganeous questioned with faintness in his voice.

"You heard me, King!" his shadow exclaimed glaring hard at him. "You did nothing! You left her to die! You cared nothing for her, for your child, for me!"

Seganeous couldn't believe what he was hearing come from himself. He felt like he should fight back but he was too awe struck to say anything. He was being tormented by his subconscious and the sad part was, he believed him.

"You deserted everyone because your 'duty'," his shadow continued. "What a Seraphim you are. So honest and duty bound. A duty that left you with nothing! You have absolutely nothing left! Not even Lucius will come to your aid now that you have abandoned him!"

"I had no choice!" Seganeous shouted.

"Lies! You always have a choice, and this is the path you've followed," his shadow roared at him unrelentingly. "you're nothing! You are weak! I know and see what you will become! That which you truly fear! An abomination to your kin!"

Seganeous felt his blood race at the implication. "Never!" he stammered. "I will never give in to that!"

The shadow's silver hair began to turn a dark shade. It ran from his roots down to the ends. He snickered and collected the corpse and fetus before lifting her. "We shall see, King," he cooed beofre walking into the abyss.

"No, no, no!" Seganeous cried, the world around him fell apart and he shot awake hearing a loud bang.

- -

Seganeous sat up in bed, drenched in a cold sweat. His eyes were wide and blood shot, heart pounding, beating intensely fast. He gripped his chest and looked around the room making sure it was all reality and not a dream. Running his fingers over the rough cotton blankets that he slept under, he reassured himself that it was all real. He let out a heavy sigh of relief.

"Good Seganeous," a soft voice spoke from the other side of the door. Genevieve's voice.

"Yes, Miss Genevieve?" he replied pulling himself the bed. He took note of a fresh set of robes that had been laid out for him within the chamber.

"Lady Seras has requested your presence in the sanctuary at your earliest convenience," the soft spoken girl explained.

"Be there promptly," Seganeous called pulling the robe over his shoulders and tying it at the waist with a golden tassel.

He found his clothes laid in a neat pile to one corner of the room. He took a moment to consider whether he should change, but he settled tht it would be rude to dress in the clothes provided, only to change into those he arrived in. He took up his cloak and draped it over one shoulder. Adding this flare was unnessecary and he knew it, but the cloak added a level of security to his dress.

He left the room, closing the door behind him. He walked down the hallway at a honest pace, taking note of the rooms. Each door had been left open. Their state pristine, and almost identical to each other. Seganeous had joked about the dungeon feeling this place gave off, but seeing it in the daylight was unnerving. Still, he found his way to the stair case and ascended to the upper levels.

The sanctuary itself was easy to find. It was the largest room, surrounded by an inner walls of detailed wooden carvings and stained glass. As he passed through the exterior hallway, he noted a small collection of men and women dressed in the simple robes of the faith. Once again, Seganeous found himself struggling to place where he had seen the images on the stained glass before.

When he entered, he found himself entranced at the decor Lush reds and golds. Seras knealt in prayer in the front before the large stone altar. Set on the altar was a series of nine statues, each different and similar in their own way, the middle most statue a very tall and elegant male figure. In one hand, he held a goblet, in the other, a lantern.

Concluding her prayer, Seras shifted her posture to attend to a ritualist event she performed at the base of the altar. She raised her hands up, then lowered them, only to raise them again. As she lowered them, the pace was slow, and she let her body sway in the absent wind. Seganeous lost his sight in memories of the previous night.

Genevieve stepped out from behind him. He snapped out of it almost instantly. Again, he hid his embarrassment, this time by removing his glasses and rubbing his eyes. He questioned what was coming over him, but just as the question began to take root, Genevieve spoke.

"Lady Seras," she bowed low.

Seganeous followed suit, trying to assume the customs of his hosts. It was only cooincidence that it helped conceal the blush across his cheeks.

She turned and smiled warmly at them speaking with a sweet tone. "Good Seganeous," she said. "I hope you slept well."

"I did indeed, my lady," Seganeous stood upright addressing her with a soft confident smile.

"Good," she replied. She stood and walked towards them. "We have much work to do in this town today. Will you join us, good Seganeous?"

"I would be honored to assist you," Seganeous nodded. "I would hate to not fully repay my debt."

"Lovely," Seras replied turning to Genevieve, "prepare my carriage and all the necessary things, we leave within the hour."

"Yes, my lady," Genevieve said running off quickly.

Seras turned her gaze back to Seganeous. She eyes him with a raised brow. "I think those threads suit you, good Seganeous," she said. "They suit you very well."

"Oh, you mean this?" Seganeous said, lifting his arms to examine himself. "I'd agree, much better than the rags I arrived in."

Seras smiled walking past him. A flowery scent wafted off her as she passed. The scent caught Seganeous almost instantly. She spoke softly, "indeed, good Seganeous. Shall we vacate and get to work?"

"Yes ma'am," Seganeous replied with a nod.

Sears led him down the exterior hallway. She passed the devout robed girls, each bowing low as she passed. Seras led Seganeous to an enclosed stable a large set of doors sat closed on the far side. A two-horse carriage sat at the ready before the set of doors.. Genevieve stood by the door patiently.

"Thank you, Genevieve," Seras said reaching out a hand to the girl.

"Of course, my lady," she said taking the hand and helping her enter the carriage. She entered the carriage there after.

Seganeous stepped up after Genevieve and closed the door behind him before sitting on the opposite side of the very finely decorated carriage. He tok note that the window curtains had been drawn. As the cart began to move, he pushed a curtain to the side to peer through.

The fishing town had come alive with the rising of the sun. Shops were opne, stalls of vendors fought over customers, boats left and entered the small docks to unload their haul. As the carriage passed, citizens would stop what they were doing and drop to their knees.

"Obedient are they not?" Seras said.

"It would seem to be the case," Seganeous replied studying them nonchalantly. "Obedience or respect, either way, a dedicated populous."

Seras laughed out loud, lifting a hand to gently hang, covering the grin breaking her lips. Genevieve remained silent. Sebaceous smiled at the light air his comment supplied. When the laughter had subsided, he turned his attention back to the populous they passed. There were neither content, nor agitated, they looked lost almost. Bleak monotony.

The carriage came to a sudden jerking stop. Seras fell into Seganeous at the abrupt halt. Seganeous caught her, his hand grazing her breasts. Genevieve lurched forward to help pry her mistress from his grip. Seganeous did his best to hand her over without any quarrel. Genevieve eyed him cooly.

"Please forgive me, good Seganeous," Seras said readjusting her robes to a presentable state.

"Think nothing of it," Seganeous replied peering out of the carriage window. "It appears there is an uninspired group of your populous blocking our way."

"What do you mean?" Seras asked peering through the window.

"I'll investigate, my lady," Seganeous said opening the door and stepping down into the street.

Gathered was a mob of men and women carrying tools of their trade. They blocked the street and shouted all manner of hysterical slurs and obscenity against the family Narsik. When Seganeous stepped down, their hate was suddenly directed at him. Seganeous only stood his group and surveyed the group. No more than a dozen. Now his questions only grew.

Seras poked her head out of the door and looked at the gathered mob, distress and worry in her eyes. Genevieve drew out a parasol for her to hold above her head. The lady of the cathedral looked to Seganeous, her eyes steadying him to her protection.

The mob prodded the horses with their tools. The driver tugged and riegned at them with all his might, but the horses were getting to spooked too fast.. They began to jolt the carriage about. Genevieve pulled Seras within. The two cowered in the small box of safety. One of the horses hiked up, bringing with it the passenger side front wheel.

Seganeous stepped forward and bellowed. "Enough! Stop this madness have you lost wit?"

His sudden outburst from Seganeous shocked Seras and Genevieve. Their eyes locked on his figure as he stood strongly, opposing the mob as if he were a warrior on the battlefield. The mob too stopped, eyein the man who stood before them. He was much taller than they were, though the rest of his physique looked human, he was much taller, his hieght added to the intimidating stare he gave them.

"I would ask," he said, his voice now calm. "That you act like you yet have sense. Attacking a lady, much less a lady of the cloth, much less a lady of your ruling family in broad daylight is beyond rash. What has possessed you to drop you livelihood in favor of such an action?"

A rugged looking man stepped forward, brandishing and woodcutter's ax. "You must be the new body guard, sent from their homeland," he hollered. "That vixen and her brother has been nothing byt a plague on this town since they arrived!

"My name is Seganeous," the angel replied. "I will not permit you to slander her to her face without punishment!"

"Good Seganeous, please," Seras stepped down from the carriage followed closely by Genevieve. The feeble girl still held up the parasol. Seras addressed the crowd, "your disputes have been noted and the House of Narsik will see them all filled."

"Those lies were spread weeks ago!" another shouted.

"We have waited for long enough!" another shouted. "We demand results!"

"All you have ever done is slaughter those who defiled your temple!" a woman shouted.

"We won't stand for your blatant disregard for our well-being any longer!" another shouted.

"She tells lies! Her whole house tells lies!" a younger farmer shouted, stepping forward. "Rise up!"

"Enough!" Seganeous shouted, silencing the crowd again. "Have you not the soil to sow, the sea to fish and the very town of which you love dearly? Show some damned respect for the people who provide for you!

"Good Seganeous, please, that is quite enough," Seras's soft voice was enough to sway him. She placed a hand on his shoulder, the tension suddenly leaving his body.

Seganeous pivoted on his heels to face her. He maintained a cheated stance, a defensive post so as not shield her from any radical action that may break out unexpectedly. His eyes were cold, lingering on those who spoke up violently. This houn-like protective feeling he embodied gave him strength. He flet almost whole for that brief moment.

"I personally apologize for any disheartening you have felt," Seras said sincerely. "My family should have been more attentive to your troubles. That is why I am giving you a gift on behalf of the House of Narcik."

Seganeous could feel the tension seem to settle once she mentioned the gift,. Like little children, the crowd crept closer looking on in anticipation. Seganeous tensed up. Even at the evaporation of the remorse felt, his was still very wary and protective of Seras in such a fickle crowd.

"I am giving to you, this man, Seganeous, to you as your personal line straight to the interior of the temple and all its wealth," Seras announced placing a hand on Seganeous' shoulder.

Seganeous looked dumbfounded at this news. He opened his mouth to reply, but one glance from Genevieve shut him up fast. It was at that moment he rememebred that he came to the town only seeking shelter for the night. He had not intended to get mixed up so far into anything. His wandering was not yet finished. The crowd looked just as confused as Seganeous.

"So what you are saying is," A farmer said piecing it together. "That if we ever have a problem, we need to talk to him and he will act to remedy it?"

"Precisely," Seras replied with a warm smile.

At first there was still quiet confusion, alongside quiet murmuring amongst each other. The farmers looked Seganeous up and down, examining the man they saw before him, judging his worth only by the word of the woman. There came a number of satisfied nods and grumbling from the crowd. They dispersed, carrying with them the content satisfaction of being manipulated.

Seganeous looked to Seras, but her eyes and chin pointed to the ground. He did not see the light of her eyes, only the light catching on her fair cheeks and lips. She said nothing, ony stood there lost in her own thoughts. Seganeous glanced around the street, finding their path was once again clear.

"We have somewhere to be, my lady," Seganeous said.

"Oh, yes," She said turning and stepping back into the carriage.

Genevieve shot Seganeous another look. Almost insulted that he gave direction to her lady, but the look quickly faded to one of mild pity. She was as confused as he with that sudden statement from Seras to the townspeople. She drew within the carraige. Seganeous closed the door behind him as he reentered. The carriage began again a moment later.

It was silent for a time. Seras kept her head down, her thumbs rubbing together, embarrassed. Seganeous wanted not to stir her from her thoughts again, so he kept to watching the street. As the carriage passed, the townsfolk dropped to their knees in penance. Seganeous eyed them, suspiciously.

"Forgive me," Seras mumbled out loud.

Seganeous turned his attention to her. "Pardon?"

"Forgive me, good Seganeous," she said a little louder this time. "It wasn't proper to do that to you, I'll find someone else to take your place, you don't mean to stay here."

"No, no," Seganeous replied, leaning forward over his knees. He shook his hands vigorously. "I am happy to be of service in this town for a while. I really have nowhere else to go."

"It was rude of me to impose something like that on you so suddenly," Seras shook her head. "I wasn't thinking."

Think nothing of it, Lady Seras," Seganeous replied. "Really, I don't mind. I would be honored, in fact. It would be nice to call this town home."

"Don't you have a home somewhere else, good Seganeous?" Seras asked.

Seganeous' face did not change even thought the memory rushed back to him. He hide his grief very well. "I don't have a home," he said flattly.

"Oh?" Seras came again, glancing at Genevieve.

"No family? No wife or child?" Genevieve asked.

He shook his head. "None," he said, his voice only wavering for the briefest moment. "I am all alone." He forced a soft smile in order to resolve himself. As an extra measure, he ran his fingers through his scalp.

"Well, I an eternally grateful to you, good Seganeous," Seras said with a warm smile. The beautiful woman leaned across the classy and kissed his cheek. She sat back folding her arms across her breast . She smiled at him, beaming with delight.

Seganeous turned his face to catch the light from the window and hide the fact that he was blushing slightly.

- -

The carriage was driven out of town. Not far off there stood a tall barred fence, the gate of which stod closed in the road. The carriage driver whistled loudly, cuing the gate keeper to open the gates. Seamlessly, the gates opened for the carriage to enter. After crossing the threshold, they closed again.

Seganeous looked out the window. His gaze was greeted by a apple orchard of moderate size. Walking and working the expanse of trees were townsfolk. They paid no mind towards the carriage as it passed, not even the few that had to side step off the road to avoid getting hit. They walked and worked like they were in a daze.

The carriage drove on, approaching a mansion of moderate size. Much of its architecture resembled that of Seras' cathedral back in town. The mansion stood two stories tall, a stable standing just off the west wing. A tall tower stood attached to the eat wing. The tower was the only piece of the architecture that seemed completely out of place, but Seganeous shook his curiousity away.

The carriage came to a stop under a stone canopy before the front doors. Seganeous exited the carriage first, taking note of the front door. No expense was sparred in the construction of this household. A wide set of stairs led up to the front double doors. Stain glass was set within the height of the dark wooden doors. Vegetation, mostly roses wrapped up and around the stone railing of the rounded platform at the head of the steps.

Seganeous held out a hand to help Seras exit the carriage. He stood with a straight posture, his chin up, one arm held behind his back. Seras smiled at the gesture and gingerly took his hand to exit the carriage. When her hand left Seganeous' she took a moment to look out at the orchard. She sighed softly, a small smile spreading across her face. Seganeous held out his hand to assist Genevieve, but the young woman refused and stepped down herself.

Attention was suddenly directed to the front doors as they swing open. Three finely dressed individuals stepped out onto the landing of the front stairs. The man that stood in the middle the more finer of the the three. Icy blue eyes sparkled even under such a shade cast by the canopy. He held a grin on his face, moving a hand through his wavy, short blonde hair.

"Seras, my dear sister!" He spoke, calling to her almost, but with a sweeter tone.

Seras turned her attention to the man, a bright smile now sat on her face. "Hale, my dearest brother, it is good to see you," she replied.

Hale opened his arms and beckoned them to approach. The other two individuals standing with him took a step back. Seras led the charge up the steps, the smile never once leaving her lips. Seganeous was immediately uncomfortable and closing the distance between them only made his tension grow. The siblings embraced, Hale continuing to kiss both of his sister's cheeks.

"It brings a joy to me to see you again in our home," Hale said.

"We are not within the walls yet, brother," Seras replied sweetly. "Don't be so excited just yet."

Hale laughed once. "Oh, of course!" he exclaimed. "I have missed your patronizing of me. The house has been lacking in any form of charming wit since you decided to live amongst the peasantry."

"They aren't so bad, brother," Seras replied holding up a finger and wagging it at him. "They can be rather entertaining from time to time."

"Don't try to change my opinion of them, sister," Hale replied. "It is not becoming of a Count."

"Of course, Hale," Seras said with a deep sigh. All the time smiling. "Such compassion is only befitting of a Deacon is it not?"

"I wouldn't know," Hale replied. "I'm not a Deacon."

Seras broke the embrace to gesture towards Seganeous. "Brother, allow me to introduce, Seganeous Arillius. He came to the parish, late last night in need of a place to rest his head. He has graciously agreed to be a conduit for the townsfolk to voice their concerns directly to us."

"Is that right?" Hale said locking his gaze on Seganeous. He looked him up and down twice before taking a step towards him and extending a hand. "A pleasure to meet you, good Seganeous. I am Hale Narsik, Count of these lands, patriarch of the Narsik bloodline."

Seganeous quickly took Hale's hand to shake. His skin was cool to the touch, almost as cold as the stare he maintained. Seganeous kept his cool. He hid whatever tension he felt behind a corgial smile. It was enough to satisfy the intent.

"The pleasure is mine, Count," Seganeous replied. "You have a lively town in your midst. I hope to serve it and your house well."

Hale's grin widen, betraying a few pearly white teeth. "I'm glad you think so," Hale replied. He turned his attention to his sister. "I believe he will make a strong asset to your cause, dearest sister. Use him well."

Seras smiled and nodded. "She pulled a hand to her forehead. "Brother," she cooed. "Let us withdraw within. I am parched."

"Agreed, this sun is ailing me," Hale replied. He pulled his hand away from Seganeous and locked arms with his sister as the two attendants that had come with him held the doors open for them.

The interior of the house was splendid and clean. The walls were a hue of darker violet. Along the walls hung tapestries, flags and other exotic items. Some of which, Seganeous recognized from his travels, other not so much. Paintings and strange artifacts hung on the walls and sat in display cases linign the walls. Hale toured them to his guest, even though Seganeous was sure, he was the only one who hadn't seen the collection before.

After the tour, the party ended up in a living room of sorts, the curtains draw over every window. Seganeous was offered a chair to himself. Genevieve took up a standing post near one of the four doors to the room. She had remained silent the whole tour, not once opening her mouth or raising noise with a breath. Hale directed Seras to sit with him on a smaller couch.

Seganeous watched as he coddled her in a most inappropriate way, befitting that of a brother, sister relationship. He touched her cheeks and guided his fingers down her figure. They joked and chided at each other, drawing closer before drawing away again. Seras smiled brightly, not seeming to care about the abuse of her personal space.

The action sent Seganeous' blood boiling, but he held his composure. The arms of the chair he occupied was going to carry the scars of his inner turmoil, but Seganeous was more concerned with his own outward image to these two. He held his tongue for a reason he himself fully didn't understand.

"From where do you hail, Seganeous?" Hale asked, finally drawing his attention away from his sister.

"The farthest reaches of no where," He replied smartly.

Hale laughed, "I enjoy your company! Sister, you didn't tell me he had a wit."

"He rarely shows it, brother," Seras replied. "He is very mild mannered otherwise."

"Well, good Seganeous," Hale exclaimed. "Allow me to challenge that wit of yours a bit ore, would you?"

Seganeous gestured simply. "As you so choose."

Hale snickered happily. "What brought you to this town, to my sister's doorstep?"

Seganeous cleared his throat. "I'm afraid there is little to tell. I was traveling and in need of a place to lay my head and wash myself. Your sister was kind enough to open her parish to me in that regard."

"She always has had a kind-hearted demeanor to weary travelers," Hale replied. "Where do your travels take you? Have you been traveling long?"

"I would say so," Seganeous answered plainly. "A few years now at the very least."

"What are you looking for?" Hale asked. "Or are you truly a pilgrim? Wandering from place to place."

"I don't honestly have an answer for that," Seganeous replied. "I have not really set my sights on any sort of goal. Would that not bring about the end of my wandering? I feel it behooves me, and all pilgrims to wander freely and let their goal lay itself before them as they go."

Hale paused for a moment. "My, my, what a wit, indeed," he said softly. "How does becoming a conduit of my sister and I figure into your wandering?"

"Would that not be the goal being laid out before me?" Seganeous asked.

"Depends on what ideals you still carry from your home," Hale replied. "Your homeland."

Seganeous opened his mouth, but caught himself before speaking. He reconsidered the answer he meant to give. "My home lives only in the past," he said, scrambling to conceal anything from Hale. "If there was anything left of it that influenced my actions today, they lie only im my memory or dreams that haunt me."

"Is that so?" Hale asked slowly.

"That is about the size of it," Seganeous replied.

There was a moment of silence that set in before Hale adjusted his posture and engaged Seganeous again. "What country to do you hail from, good Seganeous?"

"A forgotten one," Seganeous replied. "One swallowed up by misfortune and disorder."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Hale replied. "My sister are not originally from this area either. Would you say you have seen much of this world, good Seganeous?"

"I have had the privilege in my time of service, yes," he replied.

Hale raised an eyebrow. "I see," he said. "Have you ever been to what the common folk refer to as the Night Land?"

Seganeous pondered the name. "Yes, I've heard of the place, but I have never journeyed there."

"It is across the sea," Hale put in. "It doesn't surprise me, most people haven't. The local population has been noted to be less than hospitable to outsiders."

"Why do you ask?" Seganeous asked.

"Curiosity, good Seganeous," Hale replied. "I appreciate your humoring of my intrigue of you."

"I hope it remains, but remains at a depth appropriate to your sister's devotion" He jested.

The two siblings laughed at the comment. Seganeous smirked and fixed his glasses. His attention was suddenly drawn to an ivory pendant sitting in a small display on the hearth of the fireplace. He removed himself from his seat to get a closer look. The markings were indescribable and unmistakable. His eyes locked on it for a notable time.

Hale laughed with his sister, but unknown to her he shot a malicious glance at Seganeous. An agitated and ravenous glance that only befit his gaze. His grin grew wide as Seganeous dwelt on the trinket, but his eyes betrayed only zeal and malice. The others in the room remained ignorant to his gesture.

"How have the people taken to my spectacle as of late?" Hale asked Seras.

His sister took a short sip of her drink before setting it down on a small table before them. She took both of his hands. "Dearest brother," she said with solemn, but compassionate eyes. "They fear and despise you, and therefore, me."

"Is that so?" Hale asked.

"On our way here, our carriage was stopped by an armed mob of them," Seras continued. "They were so enraged they were beside themselves."

"They what?" Hale shouted, his voice raising almost instantly.

"Dearest brother, do not lash out at them!" Seras plead. "They are afraid. Seganeous stood between us, they did not harm I or Genevieve."

Hale calmed himself and resumed his seat. He took a few moments to collect himself, but after that time had transpired, he reopened his eyes, a calm having returned. "Good Seganeous," he said. "What are your thoughts?"

Seganeous' attention was broken from the trinket on display for his haunting. He turned his attention to the two siblings. "I'm sorry," he said absent mindedly. "What was the concern?"

"What are your thoughts on the fear that my house has instiled in the townsfolk? How shal I react in such a way that would benefit both of us?

Seganeous looked down and away to consider the questions. He paced back to his chair, but did not sit, instead stood behind the back, placing a hand on it to steady his stance. "They fear you," he said. "In my experience, fear is never an adequate way to rule unless coupled with compassion."

"How do you mean?" Hale asked.

"They must fear you, but they must love you at the same time.," Seganeous replied. "Love your benevolence, and fear your malevolence. It fosters an understanding between you and those your rule. They are less likely to react negatively to your rule when you have provided for them openly."

"A balance of fear anc compassion?" Hale replied.

"A balance, yes," Seganeous said, a little excited. "aiding them where they need and acting with a level of understanding will bring them back to you are faithful servants and subjects."

Hale pulled himself away from Seras to lean against the near arm of the couch he sat on. He took his time considering and pondering the remarks. After a time, he rose and stood by a window, lookingout over the orchard and the fishing town down the hill a short ways.

"Good Seganeous," he said finally. "I am grateful that my sister came across you and invited tyou to my home today. I can tell you are well versed in the matter concerning the relationship between a ruler and their subjects." He turned, grinning at him. "I will take your strong suggestions under advisement."

Seganeous bowed his head. "Happy to be of service," he said.

"Indeed," Hale replied. "In the mean time, I must conclude our time together. There are matters that I must endure at the present. I have shirked them for far too long."

Seras rose and embraced her brother once again. "Thank you for your hospitality, brother," she said. "I'm glad Seganeous' words have moved you."

Hale smiled and kised his sisters cheeks. "I would have it no other way." He replied. "Thank you for bringing him."

Genevieve stood bowing low to Hale as her lady approached. Seras lifted Genevieve's head and together the two departed the room. Hale extended his hand once again. Seganeous took it to shake, the cold still strange to the angel.

A pleasure meeting you, Count Narsik," Seganeous said.

"You as well, good Seganeous," Hale replied.

With no exchange of other words, Seganeous departed the room leaving Hale standing alone near the window. His arms behind his back, his posture perfect. He grinned as Seganeous departed, but once he heard the door shut, his expression sank to one of viciousness.

"A pleasure meeting you, indeed," he mumbled to himself. "Angel."

- -

Seganeous had spent the rest of the day out amongst the people. He carried heavy burdens for them, he worked alongside vendors and farmers and fishermen to bring up their spirits. Every where he went, he went alone, Seras had chosen to stay indoors and consider what she could of the submitted requests and concerns.

Segnaoues did not mind the labor, especially when kind words were shared about he and the house of Narsik. Seganeous was out with the people till dusk. After much thanks, they sent him back to the parish with their good favor for Seras. The angel felt whole for the first time in many years.

He washed himself in the baths. To relax and reflect on the day, he made his way to the bell tower. On the top, there was a flat place where he could stand and look out over the entire town. He could see much of the country from this spot. The hills, the river, the bank on the other side. Even the mansion of Narsik just out of the way.

The night was clear and calm. A cool breeze trailed past him catching his hair he had bound with a scrap of fabric he had found within the parish. He folded his arms and took in the night air. Breathing deeply.

"Good Seganeous," Genevieve said from behind him. She closed the trapdoor that lead up to the platform after stepping up onto the stone.

"What is it?" Seganeous asked. He did not turn to face her, he was too entranced with the night.

"Lady Seras wishes to speak with you in the sanctuary."

"To what end?" Seganeous asked turning his chin slightly. His blood suddenly rushing through him.

"She means to express her gratitude to you for your service today, both to the towns people and in the prescience of her brother."

"I see," Seganeous replied. His shivered at the wording of her statement. Ihis anticipation excited him. "I will be along shortly."

"She also means to give you clear focus your power on your role here," Genevieve added.

"I don't believe I need assistance with that," Seganeous replied.

"You are powerless, good Seganeous," Genevieve cooed. "We will change that."

Seganeous turned to her. His expression showed his confusion at the statement. "You, what?"

Genevieve stood, her left arm outstretched towards him. Her palm was open, revealing an intricate brand. The brand was octagonal, the runes artfully carved in and amongst the line work. It glowed and pulsed. The magical energy suddenly swelled and expanded from the brand. It took the form of a bow. She drew the string back, an arrow materializing and notching itself as she drew.

"You have no power here, good Seganeous," she said aiming the shot at him. With no warning, she fired.

Seganeous moved his head just in time to miss the arrow completely taking off his head. The only scratch left was a cut across his cheek. It sizzled and burned him. As he looked bewildered at Genevieve, his gaze was only met by an absent stare. She showed no emotion, only kept her eyes locked on him. She drew back and fired again.

Seganeous rolled forward, dodging the shot. "Genevieve, why are you doing this?" he shouted.

"You would count it as a blessing if you knes," she replied firing again.

Seganeous rolled out of the way again. He was close to the edge now. He didn't want to harm her, but his only means of engaging her would be to use his angelic powers. Doing so would reveal himself to her. He wanted to avoid that at all costs.

"Give up and give in, good Seganeous," Genevieve commanded. "It will be better for us all!"

She fired again, this time, half a dozen arrows flew at him. Seganeous leapt up and flipped himself in mid air to avoid getting hit. As he landed, he pivoted on his feet and made a charge at her. Genevieve let loose another volley. Seganeous shifted over, his sleeve suffering a cut from one of her arrows. Another severed the fabric holding his hair back.

Genevieve's stare was like that of a puppet, blank and unwavering. She drew back more magical energy, forming arrows and fired them in quick succession. In doing so, Seganeous was forced to throw away his charge. He narrowly missed getting shot In the foot when he finally fell to one knee. Genevieve drew back and fired a barrage of arrows. They spat out from the bowin a cone of directions.

Seganeous saw there was no avoiding it now. He flexed in on himself before bellowing and expelling a pulse of bright light from himself. The pulse dissolved the arrows effortlessly. Genevieve's blankness changed to a look of shock and awe. She couldn't take her eyes off him at that moment. The light washed over her and she felt a burning sensation. She cried out, the bow dissolving him her hand.

She opened her eyes to Seganeous looming over her. A small knife gripped in his right hand, his left hand clasped on her shoulder, holding her down. Seganeous, however, did not look at her with angered eyes. His eyes were hard, but worrisome. Her eye began to well up.

"Yield, Miss Genevieve," Seganeous plead.

Genevieve's eyes began to let loose tears. She closed her eyes to try and hide them away, but there was no stopping them. She spoke, her voice shaky, "she knows! She knows, good Seganeous! She knows what you are!"

Seganeous looked at her, the tension growing in his stance. "What do you mean?"

"'The Pilgrim will forsake his righteousness and his blood for the gift of the night, so sayeth Vale and Valah!'" Genevieve wept. "I'm sorry, good Seganeous. You will foster your sins and become one of us!"

"What are you talking about, Genevieve?" Seganeous questioned. He dropped the knife and knelt before her, taking her in both hands and shaking her a little. "What does she know?"

"Everything," she whispered in his ear.

Genevieve took hold of Seganeous' right hand with her left. She clenched down and Seganeous was quickly overcome with a burning and searing pain. He loosened his grip, roaring at the pain. He tried to pull away, but just as he did Genevieve grabbed the back of his head and jerked him into her. She opened her mouth, revealing a pair of stark white fangs and buried them into his neck.

Seganeous roared again in the new pain. After a solid moment, he grabbed hold of her and pulled her off of him, throwing her to the ground. He reeled back clutching the wound on his neck, the blood seeping through his fingers. Genevieve hit the ground harder than Seganeous meant. She felt the stone beneath her crack and sink under the pressure. She lost feeling in her limbs.

"So quickly, or maybe that was the strength of the angels," Genevieve mumbled to herself.

"You bit me!" Seganeous yelled. "You bit, you, you..."

"Vampire, good Seganeous," Genevieve finished his thought aloud for him.

Tears yet streamed from her eyes. Her face was reddening. She looked so horrified by her own action. Seganeous felt pity for her, just from the look. Suddenly, Genevieve jerked and convulsed. She hacked and gagged, jerking about, not able to use her limbs. She coughed up blood and bile as her eyes rolled back into her skull. A moment later, she lay deathly still.

Seganeous scrambled to her. "Genevieve?" he asked looking over her.

She did not respond.

Segenaous frantically felt her pulse where he could, every where all over her body he searched for one, but nothing came back to him. He pressed a ear to her heart, but still nothing. He held his left hand over her chest, letting a light shine from his palm. He held his right hand against his own chest, still feeling the burn. He still felt nothing from the limp body before him.

Seganeous wiped her mouth and gently picked her up, laying her over his shoulder. He struggled to stand, feeling dizzy and woozy. He made his way to the trapdoor and kicked it in. Seganeous descended the tower searching for any sign of help. He remembered Seras was awaiting him. Agreeing with himself and made his way towards the sanctuary.

- -

Seras knelt in the sanctuary before the altar, amongst candles and burning insolence. She held a beaded pendant woven in her fingers as she prayed. She smile and breathed slowly connecting with the prescience of her gods. The candles linin the aisles danced.

At her knees there sat a book open to a page full of text with one drawing amongst the writing. An octagon, line work complimented by intricate runes and writings. Beside the book sat a decorative dagger. On the other side sat a small goblet with a short stalk. Stirring within was a dark red liquid.

Suddenly, Seganeous burst into the room carrying the corpse of Genevieve against his chest. He was worn and many shades of confused and exasperated. He breathed heavily and trudged up the center aisle towards Seras and the altar. Seras did not turn to him as he approached.

"Lady Seras," He stammered. "Miss Genevieve is dead!"

"Is that so?" Seras replied coolly. "What a tragedy."

"What must I do?" Seganeous asked.

"Nothing," Seras replied flatly. "We shall burn her body tomorrow."

Seganeous was appalled. "Is that what you do with your sisters?" Seganeous questioned "It makes no sense to burn those of your order!"

"What do you know of what is appropriate, good Seganeous?" Seras replied. "She betrayed us. Burning fits her crime."

"Betrayed you?" Seganeous asked blinking. "When did she do such a thing?"

"When she took it upon herself to bestow the gift upon you herself, when she revealed herself to you, a right reserved for a Deacon or a Count!" Seras exclaimed.

"What are you saying, Lady Seras?" Seganeous questioned. "I don't understand!"

"Of course you don't!" she whirled around with a devilish grin. "How could an angel understand the customs of vampires such as I and Hale?"

It all suddenly made sense. All of Seganeous' suspicions were confirmed. The figures depicted on the stain glass and in the statuary. He had never traveled to the Night Land, but he had investigated a coven of vampires while on his travels with Lucius years ago. And Genevieve's recitation before she passed made all the more sense; an exerpt from the vampire's holy book.

While wrestling this new found revelation, Seganeous was suddenly taken completely by frorce, overwhelmed by the sights before him. Seras stood dressed only in a sheer, lacy robe, bound around her waist by nothing, the fabric hung loosely, clinging to her curves. Her hair was lightly curled, caressing her figure all the more. His mouth ran dry, he lost all words.

Seras immedeately took note of his sudden change. She abused his mind and his attention. "What moves you to such inappropriate starring, good Seganeous?" she mocked him. Is it my dress? Does it stir your passion?"

Seganeous could not speak, nor process proper thought. He was horrified and entranced at the same time. He reached out shaky hand, wanting to touch her and wave her away at the same time. She grinned and dropped to her knees, crawling to him. He did not move his hand as she seductively closed in on him and pushed her breasts into his outstretched hand.

"Does my touch entreat you?" she snickered.

He nodded slowly, unable to resist. His blood raced as he let his hand caress her breasts. She moved to kneel before him and move her body in such a way to keep his mindless attention. He was at her mercy as she let him feel her body through the robe. She threw her hair back and snickered at the game she was playing.

He could no longer fight his impulses. He found strength in his limbs again, her grabbed hold of her and forced her onto her back. He pinned her to the ground with one hand, while the free hand trailed up her neck, and down her slender torso. Seras was surprised at first, but the laughter was too hard to hold back when he drug his tongue up her neck from her collar.

"Oh, my, good Seganeous," she cooed, moaning softly in his ear. "You are such a fool."

Seganeous was suddenly wrenched off Seras and thrown to the ground. The angel had no time to react, even less to get his senses back before a sharp pain entered his groin, just short of his genitals. Hale stood over him gripping a straight candle stand that dug it's point into his flesh. The tails of a very ornate black and silver coat fell calm as the wind died. All the while, the Count laughed hysterically.

His well kept hair fell about his face in boyish messiness. He held his cranium as his laughter became mad with delight. Between the jovial bursts, he would glance down at Seganeous only to laugh harder and drive his point deeper.

"Who do think you are, good Seganeous Arillius?" Hale exclaimed with mad laughter. "Forcing yourself onto my sister as if you mean to bed her! You are not worth to pleasure yourself with her image!"

Hale pried the candle stand and threw it to the side as he strode back to his sister. Seganeous employed his angelic powers to seal up the wound, but not fully heal it, he was not calm enough to muster that sort of control. His eyes drew up to the siblings. He immediately regretted the notion to look up.

Hale stood behind his sister, his hands traveling all over her body, not hesitating to grab and tug where he wanted. Seras moaned softly at her brother's touch. Hale licked up her neck, keeping eye contact with Seganeous as he did. His lips still betraying a wicked grin as he went about his incestuous actions. Seras leaned back into him and reached behind her between his legs, rubbing his growing passion.

"You incest drunken bastards!" He hollered, cringing in pain.

"We are perfect for each other!" Hale shouted. "I know just how to please her, unlike any suitor that attempted before!"

"We are just as Vale and Valah!" Seras proclaimed with a deep moan. "We are blessed to be one with each other in the eyes of our gods! Our love is righteous and an instrument to them!"

Seganeous was beside himself.

Hale swept the sheer robe off his sister's shoulders, letting it fall to the ground. She stood naked, basking in the glow of the candlelight. Seganeous could not escape the draw of her spell. Hale took his time touching Seras in ways that would make her moan and squeal in pleassure. He meant to milk Seganeous' abuse for as long as he could.

"Does this drive you mad, angel?" he prodded. "What does your Divine have to say about this?"

He reached around and took hold of Seras' breasts forcefully. She gasped and arched into him, reaching back into his well trimmed trousers. Hale trailed one hand down and played with her in front of Seganeous. Seras moaned at his touch and reached her lips back to kiss her brother passionately.

"Enough of your heresy!" Seganeous shouted.

He forced himself to rise to his feet. He held up a fist and let the angelic light build up in his clenched fist. The brand on his right hand began to throb, stalling his cojuration, but he powered through with rage in his eyes. He flexed his back. His wings ripped their way through the untreated fabric to shreds.

"I'll purge you both!" he snarled.

Using his wings to throw himself forward, Seganeous raced forward, leading with the light radiating fist. He opened his palm revealing the blinding light, roaring, forcing all of his energy into the attack. All the while, his right hand trobbed in pain.

Without warning, he suddenly hit the ground. His vision got fuzzy when his head hit the hard wood. Seras stood on top of him, one foot pressed between his wings, the other dug into the floor of the sanctuary. As she laughed at her victory, she began to rip out feathers from Seganeous' wings. She was careless as she ripped away clump by clump. Seganeous screamed with each feather ripped from him.

When she had plucked the last of his feathers, she grabbed hold of the bone structure and with no small amount of pulling and thrashing about, pried the wings from his back. The pain was excruciating. The angel screamed, roared, cried out, wailed in the pain that overtook him. Blood burst from the fresh wound, spilling all over the fine wooden and carpeted floor. There the angel wallowed in the pain. All the while, the brand on his right hand throbbed.

Seras threw the broken wings away into the pews and laughed with her brother. The two laughed and kissed and felt each other reveling in the blood that pooled on the floor. Hale took off his coat and threw it over the altar and danced with his sister in the blood. They sang and chanted hymns in reverence to their gods and actions.

"Shut your fucking mouths," Seganeous forced out through the pain.

The Narsik siblings looked towards Seganeous with shock. Never had they seen a victim still have the strength to curse them after enduring such torture. They watched in horror as Seganeous rose, seizing with rage, hate filled his eyes, along with a deep red hue. The holes left on his back from his wings filled with tissue and blood, mending the area, leaving gnarlly scars.

The air became heavy for a brief moment before the mark on Seganeous' hand exploded with light and power, throwing the twins back. They slipped on the blood as it was suddenly drawn towards Seganeous unnaturally. The foul energy surrounded Seganeous as he breathed with new found fury.

Seras and Hale cowred in fear as Seganeous' blood swelled around him and came to rest in his hands. He tightened his grip as the blood began to solidify into crude and twisted blades. Chains ran from each blade, back to Seganeous, then out to the walls. The sight was terrifying to behold, a nightmare to be sure.

Seras curled up and screamed behind Hale. The Count held his sister and held up a hand shaking it frantically at Seganeous. "Don't be rash, good Seganeous," he stammered. "We can remedy this transgression, please!"

Seganeous ignored him.

- -

The commotion from within had not been contained within the walls. The noises and unsettling surges in air pressure coaxed many townsfolk to gather in the square, before the doors of the cathedral. The tension ran high, the crowd full of uncertainty, unsettling nerves. Many of them had taken up simple farming tools and held them at the ready, not sure what twisted my come through the doors.

There was silence for some time now. All of the screams and roars that had set them on edge had subsided. They felt the air being to lighten in the passing moments. Even in the quiet, they stoiod unsure and full of unease. Suddenly they heard the door latch click open. They swung open letting a horrifying sight and smell fall onto the gathered crowd.

Seganeous strode through the doors, caked in blood from head to foot. His clothes were tattered, clinging to him by strands of thread. Over his shoulders was draped Hale's overcoat, still in a quality condition in comparison to the rest of his dress.

In his hands, he dragged the lifeless and mangled bodies of Seras and Hale Narsik. Their bodies splattered with their own blood. Their faces frozen in a petrified state of horror. Hale's eyes were burrowed into his cranium, his body broken and contorted into questionable shapes.. Seras was naked, her stomach ripped open, the entrails dragging behind her.

Seganeous' eyes retained the vampyric glow about them as he dragged his quarry to the vacant gallows. He let the overcoat drop from his shoulders as he strung up the corpses for all to see. The crowd watched, not knowing whether to run, look away, or drop to their knees and pray.

The vampire stepped down from the gallows and ripped down the sign that hung there. He read the text once more. He scowled, flashing the bloodstained fangs before hurling the sign into the cathedral. In the same momentum, he concentrated a magic aura and sent the blast rocketing into the front doors.

The crowd's attention now shifted to the cathedral that was now being consumed in the flames. All eyes turned to watch, though the heat too became too much. Still, the townspeople could not help but be mesmerized by the spectacle, by their liberation.

No one noticed Seganeous walking out of the town. He threw Hale's overcoat over his shoulders, fitting his arms through the sleeves. He was a short distance away when he unfolded bat-like wings from his back. They dripped with mucus, having just been grown. He stretched them, preparing for the first flight. The glow of his eyes faded, what replaced them was the look of quietly self loathing. He continued to walk until his wings lifted him off the ground into the night.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

1.5K 131 40
Through thick and thin the Law shall prevail. A new sense of purpose awaits us, children of light, in the land where it all began. The darkness in wh...
135 6 10
My chest filled with a searing pain, matching the intensity of the tremors of the earth. I had to go home to make sure my Ma and Pa were okay. .... ...
12 1 5
This marks the real beginning of a long journey, of pain, suffering, and losses. As ordinary as a journey may start, no one is capable of guessing wh...
2.9K 144 24
"Who are you?" He asked eyes as wide and bright as the moon. His expression didn't even fit his pretty face anymore, it was just plastered there laug...