Act VI: The Sons of Clan Foulcrest

Werewolves are said to be among the most ruthless and barbaric race to walk theland. Since their first birth, they have been seen as a plague on the countryside, running wild as they saw fit. They took on the forms of wolves at will, changing into hulking beasts that struck fear into the hearts of most common man. No matter where they went, they were never looked upon with favor, their history of pillaging saw to that.

Thesewarrior clans ran in Packs, ranging in great of number to small andcompact, cometimes isolated from the rest. If there was one thingwerewolves hated more than Vampires, it was their own kind in termsof land and influence. Their war-like culture bred this ambition forpower and greatness, only when an Alpha of great zeal and ambitionthemselves did these war-like mannerisms falter.

South of the West Mundaran Empire resides the lands roamed by theWerewolf clans. The Mundarans call it the Pack Lands. Rolling hillsand flat valleys, dotted with forests and marshes that would drivethe faint of heart to madness. Not very many people ventured into thePack Lands. Trade routes had even been drawn to avoid them as best aspossible.

Wherethe Wolves found solace with one another was in their laws andreligion. Unlike the Angels and those touched by their pilgrimages,the Werewolves did not worship the Divine. Depending on the Pack,worship of the Divine was prohibited and often strictly enforced.Their faith rested in the Mother Wolf, Lupa Capitolina, the mother ofall wolves. The story went that she had given the gift of Lycanthropyto two young boys, who became the first Werewolves, centuries ago.She handed to them a kingdom seated upon seven hills. The city hassince been lost, swallowed up by the ever present mist of the PackLands and their bogs, but the Werewolves, still hold her teachings toheart.

Therestand seven great clans in the Pack Lands, one for each of thelegendary hills of their lost city. The laws they live by amongsteach other rule out any and all understood parlay periods, save two;the death of an Alpha, and the Solstice Festivals. Otherwise, theWolves are left to the will of the clans at any given point of theyear. Clans for years battled with each other over territory andspoils, but there were always those clans who sought a more economicstyle of living. It was not like the clans were uncivil with oneanother, their affinity was conflict.

- -

Evanderwas the eldest son to the Alpha of the Foulcrest clan, one of theseven great clans. Evander was born, robbed of his sight while in thewomb. Aeneas was the second son the the Foulcrest Alpha, he was bornwithout a flaw.

Whenthe boys were young, they would run together and play together, butalways under watchful eye from a member of their father's Claw, agarrison of five Wolves, distinctive by the Alpha, a tradition longkept in the Pack Lands. Since their births, the boys were monitoredand bred to be strong members of the clan, and also to observe theirgrowth as leaders.

Ifanother Wolf did not step forward to challenge the Alpha for hisposition, the title would fall to the eldest son. This gave cause forconcern amongst the clan due to Evander's blindness. If he was notcapable, Aeneas would be the next likely choice. Aeneas grew up brashand reckless, storming into the fires of danger before a proper planhad been hatched or conceived. He was impulsive, a trait to behonored amongst the Wolves, but not one honored amongst Alphas.

Evandergrew up to appreciate peace and understanding. He wore a red clothover his eyes, a testament to his ailment, but it wo him more respectthan pity. He was honest, calculated, slow to anger, and above all,just. He had found other ways to allow himself to function as if hewas not blind. His whole life, his ambition was to not be deemedunworthy of his right as the eldest son, because of that, he earnedthe respect of not only his father and his clan, but the respect of anumber of Wolves outside of the Foulcrest clan.