Hunter: Cursed

By ellarose12

Vampires have Slayers. Werewolves have Trackers. Everything else has a Hunter. --- After battling w... More

1st May 2012
Chapter One.
2nd May 2012
Chapter Two.
3rd May 2012
Chapter Three.
3rd May 2012
Chapter Four.
7th May 2012
Chapter Five.
8th May 2012
Chapter Six.
18th June 1869
Chapter Seven.
15th May 2012
Chapter Eight.
17th May 2012
Chapter Nine.
17th May 2012
Chapter Ten.
19th May 2012
Chapter Eleven
22nd May 2012
Chapter Twelve.
27th May 2o12
Chapter Thirteen
30th May 2012
Chapter Fourteen
4th June 2012
Chapter Fifteen
8th June 2012
Chapter Sixteen
10th June 2012
Chapter Seventeen
14th June 2012
Chapter Eighteen.
14th June 2012
Chapter Nineteen
16th June 2012
Chapter Twenty
20th June 2012
Chapter Twenty-One
21st June 2012
Chapter Twenty-Two
26th June 2012
Chapter Twenty-Three
19th July 2012
Chapter Twenty-Four
23rd July 2012
Chapter Twenty-Five
25th July 2012
Chapter Twenty-Six
26th July 2012
Chapter Twenty-Seven
4th August 2012
Chapter Twenty-Eight
7th August 2012
Chapter Twenty-Nine
13th August 2012
Chapter Thirty
14th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-One
16th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Two
18th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Three
18th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Four
20th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Five
26th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Six
29th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Seven
The Diary of an Ex-Tracker
Hunter Series

The End...?

3.7K 306 63
By ellarose12

There was something about decorating the Christmas tree that made me feel about five years old. Well, I didn't get that last year as all I had was a small plastic tree that cost me ten dollars, that Alfie, kept trying to eat. He did manage to get some of the decorations I had on it, convinced I was lying to him and they were actually some new kind of lolly he hadn't seen before. It really ruined the magic of it all, much like how the year before when my family was in the process of moving around the country trying to find Jordan, and our stuff stayed locked away in a storage locker. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a living out a suitcase and sharing a one bedroom hotel room with your parents.

This year was normal and I loved it.

Mum had on her ridiculous collection of Christmas albums, and right now Mariah Carey was one high note away from sending Annipe to the dark-side as she glared at the stereo, poised to strike. So maybe it wasn't completely normal, considering two Apopythe demons bopped around the house with their own custom made Santa's hats on. Maybe if they had been poodles or golden retrievers or really chilled out cats, but giant snakes? Not a chance.

"Don't touch." I warned her, ignoring the hiss that followed.

I finish putting the final few baubles on the tree branch as Dad comes in with the star. Understandably in our family, losing Christmas ornaments in an attic that doubles as a weapon storage isn't strange occurrence either.

"Found it!" Mum smiles as she comes in behind him.

I step back to admire my handiwork as Jordan takes a seat on the edge of the sofa behind me. Mum watches Dad take the star out of the box as if he about to light the Olympic torch and pushing his way closer to the front, Alfie stares at it as eagerly as my Mum. Surprising all of us, and breaking tradition - Dad offers it to him to put up. Alfie's chest puffs out slightly, either in anticipation of a snack or showing off because all the attention is on him. Mariah skips a word and looking behind us, Annipe quickly looks away.

"Annipe, leave the stereo alone. Alfie, do not eat that!" I warn, feeling like a controlling parent as both my demons get 'the look' to behave.

With a sigh, he carefully takes it with the end of his tail and positions the star on the top of the tree. Mum flicks the switch and the lights come on, drawing Annipe in closer, which works out well for what's next and our tunes.

"This is for you darling!" Mum pats Annipe as she passes her, another small box in her hands. She pulls out a sparkling black and white bauble with a big red A on one side, matching the emerald one she showed Alfie earlier. It was cruel how she let Anni think she didn't get one, but Alfie ruined his surprise by again, trying to eat what was in the box. "This A is for Annipe."

The demon gets excited by this. The tip of her tail starts to wag and her mouth opens in a smile. Its' adorable and pulling out my phone, I quickly take a video of what's about to happen.

"Anni-ssss!" Her head practically sits on Mum's arm as she reaches out to hang it beside Alfies. "My ball!"

It's a bit of a surreal moment, sitting in the living room around the Christmas tree with my family being, well, a family. Then Alfie has to go and try and take a bite of one of the branches, earning him a tap on the nose. For a snake, he does guilty well and dips low, looking away as though he is in trouble. Never mind the bit of green poking out the side of his mouth. Shaking my head, he slinks back behind us, slurping up the plastic as he passes me. This is as good as it gets and reaching back, I scratch under his chin.

Actually only one thing could make it better and that is having all my family here. Zane was out chasing abominable snowmen in some stupid remote village in Northern Europe. I didn't pay attention to the details, just worked on sulking when he said he might not be back in time for Christmas. I died twice this year, I deserved to have everyone here to celebrate or at least that's what I told him when laying on the guilt.

With the tree finished, Mum and I go back into the kitchen and under the watchful and often critical eyes of my Ani, we start to decorate some of the biscuits we'd made earlier. She has developed as much of a weakness for sugar as what Alfie has for cola, so teasing her with the bowl of icing was an easy way to distract her from plotting to destroy the stereo. 

"Alright, I gotta get to work."

"Are you sure you don't want one these two to go with you?" Mum practically begs as Alfie starts snooping around the table.

"They scare away the customers." I stash a few of the biscuits away in a small container and give her a quick hug as I pass. "Be good for the Old Bloods okay? Oh and Mum, if Zane calls now because he knows I'm not home, tell him I will find him and bring him home whether he likes it or not."

"He knows Elise. Be careful! If you get into trouble, just call us!"

I play along and nod. She forgets that I'm not like them now, and it's not something I like to remind her too much either. I barely take a step down the corridor, before I'm walking into the staff office behind the bar instead. I never get tired of being able to do that. The biscuits are left on the table in the corner, and I take a seat behind the computer to do a few quick order checks.

"Hey!" Jess greets, instantly seeing the food. "Your Mum baking again?"

For a vampire who is meant to be on a rather strict blood only diet, she ate more sugar than Annipe and could mix a better cocktail than anyone I knew. The last bar manager had hired her in Leo's absence and since I took over, he'd gone and took most of the staff. Luckily she liked my shoes, so decided to stay and after a long, desperate call to the only other bar owning person I knew these days, Oz the bear shifter sent me an angel in the form of his wife's, uncles, niece's son - Paul. I let him do what he wanted since I had no idea and Oz had been training him. Every Thursday I made sure their pay went in and that my preferred brands were being stocked, but that was as far as it went.

"Thought you'd like those. How are we out there?"

She grabs one and takes a seat on the end of the desk, making me hit the keyboard that little bit harder. For all the times I used to do the exact same thing to Huntington, I had no idea it was this annoying. Actually, if I did, I probably would have done it more.

"It's pretty quiet for a Sunday. Maybe some monsters have family they get tortured into seeing for Christmas too? So glad mine are the love and leave you type." She mused, before looking at me cautiously. "Unless you're into that. Then yay, family!"

"Speaking of family." Paul starts as he comes in, not bothering with formalities like hello. "I still get this week off, right?"

"Yup and I may have forgot it's not Wednesday night and done your pay a little early. Since it was my mistake, and I pressed the wrong buttons, don't worry about what shows up." I had plenty of money to throw around and the little team I had working here deserved some Christmas cheer.

"Thanks boss!" Jess grinned.

"So, you sitting in here all night or want me to teach you how to change a keg?" Paul wasn't one for small talk and I kind of liked that about him. He was good at what he did, the bar had never been cleaner or so well organised. Plus thanks to his bear genes, he was big enough most of the weak, drunk jerks we had come through, were smart enough to leave him alone too.

Everyone knew better than to start anything while I was around, my new powers starting to work with me rather than not at all. Plus, my reputation already preceded me around here and I'm not just referring to holding the record for most tequila consumed in one night.

"Teach away oh mighty beer master." I mocked bow making him roll his eyes and Jess laugh.

"You, get back to work. Tables need to be cleared and I want you to help the new girl with the dishes. Magic and dishwashers results in broken dishwashers and not all of us can wave our hands to clean shit. I don't want any of her fae stench in the kitchen either."

"She doesn't have a fae smell." I argued, already too protective of the girl from what had been Hazels coven. I knew her sisters wanted her to work here in hopes of free or at least cheap drinks, and they'd get that, but she wasn't going to have to put up with grumpy old pooh bear to do it.

"You're not a bear." He huffed, his nostrils flaring as if to prove a point. He must just scent the biscuits then, because he heads over to the table and takes two.

"Well, obviously." I retorted, unable to think of a snappy comeback. "So, kegs?"

The night is slow and easy, with just the regulars taking up their usual spots. I convince Paul to let Jess and Spear go early, since the two of us could manage without them. By midnight we've only got a couple of jerks who don't get the hint we want to close up. Snow started to fall about an hour ago, and judging from their place by the fireplace, they don't like the cold.

"Closing time in five!" Paul calls out to them, earning from growls in response. He tenses and snarls, a deeper, much more aggressive sound than they could ever do.

They are gone before the five minutes is up.

He counts the money and gets everything ready for our next shift, which isn't for a week since I am the best boss ever and have given them the holidays off. While I'm unloading the dishwasher, I tell him about putting up the Christmas tree at home and how nice it is to be having my family all together. He's looking forward to going home too, and once he's done we sit at the bar to have one quick drink together.

"I don't think I've ever actually asked you this, but how did you get this place? Wasn't it some really old leeches bar?"

"Yeah, Darius." I smile at the memory, not meaning to be so obvious.

"You knew him?"

"Yeah. I used to sneak out here from the Academy. He let me get away with it too. Gotta love the supernatural, what do they care about underage drinking?" I laughed.

"You could have been killed! It can get tense with any of your kind in here, so what the hell would a kid do if she was attacked?" He scolded.

"Darius had my back and besides, no one would dare touch a student. There are rules in place around here, don't worry."

"Good to know. You alright to close by yourself?" Paul asked, a hint of concern in his voice.

"Trust me, I got this." I gave him a hug and walked him to the front door. "Say hi to your family for me!"

"Will do." He gave a little wave and walked off into the snow filled night.

Closing the door, I locked it up and hit the main light switch so only the bar had it's light on now. It was quiet and almost eerie; the faint smell of stale beer would forever linger in the wooden floors and as I stepped behind the bar, I sensed a very familiar presence. Looking around, the figure sitting at the other end didn't surprise me and half hidden by shadows, I didn't need to see his face.

Fighting to hide a smile, I put the glasses Paul and I had been using in the sink before turning to the bench behind me and got two shot glasses. Grabbing the tequila from the top shelf, I made my way over; sitting the glasses down between us.

"It'll have to be cash now. We're closed." I told him.

"Just add it to my tab."

"No can do. Some people have been taking advantage of the system and what kind of business owner would I be, to let that continue?"

Cain laughed. "I think you can shout me this one in the name of professional courtesy."

"Oh I like that. I'm going to use it on Paul next time he has a go at me for handing out free drinks to the coven." I filled our glasses and with years of practice behind us, we clinked them without spilling a drop and shot it down. "I love this stuff."

"I almost forgot how bad it was."

"Another?" Cain nodded and I refilled the tiny cups. Neither of us spoke as we sculled it down and put the shot glasses back on the bar. "Why are you here?"

He frowned. "Do you not want me to be?"

"Honestly?" I blinked, moving to sit on the stool beside him. "I am so glad to see you! I've really missed having you around. I never realised how much I would and it's not like I can just call you up or send you an email, which I should have realised before, but I didn't. I mean, do you even have TV in your realm? I don't think I saw one. You've always been here, not as you, obviously, but in some form or another. Darius was my friend and then you were still here as Leo, and you are, well you. It's the same with the whole Huntington, Portia thing too. It's really like, you all died, because I came back and everything has changed, but it hasn't, and you're both just gone and that's it and no one here really gets it, because they don't know everything that really happened."

I stopped talking, knowing that I was rambling and also wanting to leave everything in the past where it belonged. At this rate, he'd take off running and never come back.

"I'm sorry. It's good to see you, really. Thank you for the bar, and I hope you don't mind, but I gave Raya and Keiran the villa you had in Spain. CJ got some of your shares too, and Penny. Maybe even Sam got some of the cash, but I set up so it was like she won lotto." I blurted out as though in confession. If he came to get some of it back, I'd pay him off out of my trust fund anyway.

"You've missed me?" He asked doubtfully.

That's what he took from all of that? "Yeah."

Cain opened his mouth but quickly closed it and turning slightly to stare directly at me, he said nothing for a minute. It was a little too intense and I had to look away.

"I've missed you too Elise, and I'm sure Portia has as well." Cain finally said. "Did you want to talk about all that, everything, now?"

"No. I shouldn't have mentioned it, but why are you here?"

"I always did enjoy the festive season." He smiled. "And I came to see how you were."

"That's nice of you, but I'm fine. You didn't need to check up on me."

"I know, but I wanted to. Drink?" I nodded, letting him pour the next round. "I haven't seen much of Portia. She comes by when she can, but her days of being my Oracle are over."

"Kind of wish I had got that gift too." I mumbled, accepting the glass.

"You would have had to remove her eyes and then your own, so you could replace them."

I nearly spat tequila everywhere. "Seriously? I thought you were all joking about that!"

"It's why I said no in the first place." He seemed to find it amusing. "Her new role suits her. I've never seen her so, happy. If only that could be said for all of us."

"Aren't you happy?" I don't even blink as he offers me another shot.

"I have everything Portia predicted; everything that I've always wanted." We clinked glasses before drinking this time.

"But? This sounds like a there is going to be a but moment coming." I was out of practice with tequila and as my vision got blurry, everything seemed to move a little off center too. "Butt."

Giggling, I turned back to face him and tried to look serious. "Sorry, continue."

"Some things seem as though they will be forever out of my reach."

I sighed, resting my head on my hand as I leaned against the bar. "Forever is a long time, but I get it. Maybe we're just not the lucky ones who get to have every box ticked. There will always be, something, missing."

"That's very deep." He teased. "Want to tell me what happened when you came back here?"

"I might cry again. I hate crying."

"I won't tell anyone." Cain promised.

"I know." I took another shot, frowning as he left his alone. Maybe I needed to get it all off my chest and it's not like he hasn't seen me lose my shit before. This could be my only chance so, because he did get it, and he gets me, I finished his glass too and ignored the look that earned me. When the burning stopped, I took a deep breath and told him everything . "Oh, and I'm in a book now too!"

"Thought you would be." He mused, swirling ice cubes around the short glass of whiskey he had helped himself to when I'd been talking.

"You're not."

"Because I don't want to be." He leaned back in the chair, looking rather proud of himself. "I spent centuries building up my reputation of sheer awesomeness. Chinese whispers based on a few relics and private letters could do it damage."

"You did it?"

"How could I Elise? It's not as though someone could travel through time." Cain shrugged.

My mouth dropped. "You didn't!"

"Of course not. I'm much too busy to be wasting time with nonsense like that."

Liar.

"It may not always seem like it, but you're a good guy. Why not show that, and besides, if really, you only ever wanted my help, why not just tell me? I think, well I'm pretty sure I would have helped you anyway. I feel it's a good cause, like animal shelters. I'll always give them some money when I see the tin shakers at the shops."

Shaking his head, he laughed to himself only I didn't get why. "Knowledge is power. The less you knew the better. Not just about me, but about all of it. If they knew you knew about them before the time was right, I don't know what they would have done to stop you. We were lucky. It could have all been much, much worse."

"Fine. And now?"

"Now you have eternity to work out just how much you do know and what else there is to discover."

"Seriously, let Ailin write your biography. She'd be all, the might fallen one was so mighty, but then she'd add in a dramatic pause and be like, or was he? Here is a rock. There is a river. Do you watch the splash or the fallen one, because a tree that falls over in the woods makes no splash." I tried to think that last part over, knowing I was missing something.

"Hunter, I do believe you're drunk."

"Ssh! Don't tell my Mum." I laughed making Cain laugh too. I don't know why he didn't think he was happy, or why he didn't think he'd be able to be, because at least right now, it looked as though he was.

"I won't." He stood up and thinking he was about to leave, I got up too. Instead, my legs vanished from underneath me, just as the bar did and back in my room, I looked around confused.

"Did you do that?"

"I did." I was made to sit on the edge of my bed and clicking his fingers, my work clothes changed to my pajamas.

"Why can't I do that? I've been trying you know."

"Time Hunter. It all takes time." Yawning, I flopped down onto my bed and he gently pulled my blankets up over me. I had never known my bed to feel so comfortable and then Cain was talking and I realised I was in bed. "Are you still awake?"

"Yeah?"

"You asked my why I am here, and I was being truthful when I said I came to see you Elise, because I did. Only, there was something I wanted to talk to you about too." My stomach flipped and everything I'd just drank threatened to come up. He sounded way to serious for my current state to endure. "This, is for you."

He leaned over and put something that looked awfully similar to Logan's journal on the pillow beside me.

"Is that?" I panicked, instantly reaching for it, yet he moved it just out of my way.

"It is, but for now, sleep. It will still be there in the morning." My eyes obeyed, closing instantly and yet he still kept talking. I'd ask him about it later, only when I woke he was gone, it was morning, but the journal remained.

"Don't do this Elise. Don't. Do. It!" I lectured myself, yet my hands moved of their own accord and flicking through pages of familiar handwriting and drawings, I wondered if there was a clue I'd missed, something in here that would have warned me about what he was hiding. There wasn't. He played his part perfectly, and Zeus would be proud of that.

I nearly put it down, thinking about going against my decision about burning stuff, but then I noticed some pages had been torn out. Going to the end, pages of scribbled out words, scraps and leftovers of destroyed paper; it was where Logan stopped and Apollo began.

_____________

"I swear we were not like these little brats when we were there age." Penny glared at the row of kids in front of us, four boys who were more interested in making fart sounds with their underarms than the speech Dad was giving. The girls either side, giggled along with them."Ferals!"

"At their age, I would have skipped out on all of this and be off drinking with the older kids behind Darius's bar."

"Too bad you decided to shut it this week."

"Too bad I own the place so can go whenever I want." I winked. "But I promised my parents I'd stick around for the Christmas eve extravaganza. They also asked me to remain sober, but here I am and that's enough of a Christmas miracle."

Pulling out a flask, I took a sip and passed it to her. "I know your new year reso. Giving a borderline alcoholic a bar was a bad idea!"

"Hey, I've died twice this year. If that happened to you, I bet you'd prefer to stay tipsy at all times too." I sulked.

"How long are you going to use that excuse for like, everything. Quit being a bitch, but I died this year. Do the dishes, why do I have to do that, I died this year." She mocked, making her voice too high pitched for my liking.

"I don't sound like that so your argument is invalid."

"No it's not. I know someone who died twice this year." She handed me back the flask, wincing as she swallowed the unevenly mixed bourbon and cola. "Did you actually mix anything with that?"

"To those going home for the holidays, stay safe and we look forward to seeing you back after the break!" Dad finished his speech and everyone clapped.

"Showtime." I slapped Jordan across the head and pinched Chris's arm - waking them both up. "Get up losers."

"What?" Jordan yawned as Chris woke with a snort.

"I'm awake!" Chris mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

Most of the students had already gone, well the ones that could and the last few would be picked up tonight. The ones left here, got to attend a disco of all things in the gym and lucky us, we were given the change, well orders, to help some of the teachers supervise. We got there before the kids and Jordan disappeared with Chris to organise the music while Penny set up the strobe lights. Mum was fussing with Vesna over the food table and as I went by a grabbed a bowl of chips, finding a corner to sit down in. Penny soon found me and sharing the flask and chips, we 'supervised' as the kids started to come in.

"Thank you for your help tonight sweet heart." Mum gave Penny a hug while I got a warning. "Don't spike the punch!"

Mum and Dad went and danced, ignoring the teens around them which was actually kind of cute. Some Hunters that came by for a place to stay after a big job joined the party and so did Alfie and Anni. Frank and Vesna ended up on the dance floor too and before long, the teens were nearly outnumbered by staff and drop ins. No one seemed to mind, and it was nice to just sit back and watch.

"And you're out. Maybe you can fill this with some festive cheer?" Penny handed me back the empty flask.

"Your Dad still not talking to you?"

"Nope."

"Wanna go raid my bar and see if we can not pass out before Santa comes?"

"Deal."

"Now whose the alcoholic." I teased, and one she was up, she offered her to help me.

"Got any food there?" She asked, ignoring that little comment.

"Let's check the table before we go."

"Go where?" Zane asked, startling both of us.

"You're here!" I practically threw myself at him, nearly choking him in the process.

"Merry Christmas Sunshine!" He extended his arm and hugged Penny too. "Miss me?"

"Yes!" I reached for Penny's arm and moved us over to the food table; no one but us even noticed.

"Oh, your Mum made her little chicken pies!" Penny drunkenly made a grab for them and Zane was forgotten.

"I can't stay for long, kid. Ailin has me on a tight leash with all the shit going on. It's getting better, but damage control isn't over just yet." He sighed, looked tired. "Last time I saw you, you weren't doing so great. How are you?"

"I'll tell her to back off. There are others that can take over for a while, you look like shit. Are you at least here for tomorrow?" I asked hopefully.

"I am, and the day after. Elise, how are you?" He asked with his Dad tone on. Penny laughed and as we both glared at her, she shoved some fairy bread in her mouth and looked away.

"Fine. Good. Great." I smiled and hugged him again.

"What will your Dad say if I ask him?"

"That he's worried I have a drinking problem and am wasting too much money."

"Right." He looked up as a few more people came in. "I've gotta go sort these guys out and then I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning okay?"

"Good night Zane. I'm glad you're here."

"Me too Sunshine."

He says goodbye to Penny, waves at my parents and leaves with his group. Tomorrow was going to be awesome and as Penny pigs out on the party food, I head over to my brother and stay with them until she comes looking for me. We're half way to the exit when someone walks in, yet lingers in the entry as though looking for someone as he looks over the dance floor. At first I think it's Cain, the same presence that follows him appears now - only it's different.

"Let's stay." Penny whispers, grabbing my arm and practically pushing me into the wall.

"Ow! Why?"

"Ssh! Look cool. Did you just see the hottie that walked in?"

We look a little harder this time, paying more attention and my stomach instantly sinks. Now I'm grabbing her arm and the way my heart starts to race has me feeling dizzy.

"We're going."

"No, we're not. You can go, but I'm-" She pauses, looking at me closely before turning to look at him, before looking back at me. "You know him, don't you?"

So do you. "No."

"Ah, yeah you do. Oh was he like a rebound from the bar or something? I knew you'd listen to me! This is going to get so awkward!" She laughed.

"No. I'm going." Yet I don't.

"Go talk to him. He's looking at you!" She whispers, pulling her arm free and rubbing where I had held her. "I mean come on, he's gorgeous. This could be exactly what you need for a fresh start next year!"

"Trust me, it's not."

"Fine, I'm going to go talk to him." She threatens, taking a step in his direction.

"Do that and I will zap you to the North Pole and leave you there." I take a few deep breaths, trying to work out what to do, or what to say, or just to think in general. "I just, I need a minute."

"Did you want me to get your Mum, or Jord?"

I shake my head and before I know what I'm actually doing, I've gone over to where Apollo awkwardly stood.

"Hey." He greeted, barely loud enough to hear over the music.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded, not meaning to have said that at all. Taking a deep breath, I tried again. "I mean, hey."

"Cain, he ah, said you wanted to see me. Guess he lied." He shrugged. Glancing down at his feet, he tucked his hands in his pockets and the awkwardness only grew between us. "You're looking good. You, lightened your hair?"

"Yeah." I needed to saying something, anything, but what?

I read your journal.

Did you mean it?

I miss you too!

"It's nice. Well, um, look after yourself Elise. Merry Christmas." With that, he turned to leave and I didn't stop him.

"I'm pretty sure this is the part where you run after him." Cain looked in the direction Apollo had just gone before turning back to me, a sad kind of smile on his face. "Some of us can have all the boxes ticked. That is if you want them to be."

"You set this all up, didn't you?"

"Did I?" He shrugged as though it was nothing. "Merry Christmas Hunter."

"Merry Christmas." I gave him a hug, wanting to say so much more, but unable to find the words. "Thank you."

"Until next time." Then he was gone and so was I.

Instantly I was at the door that led outside, but Apollo wasn't there. It never occurred to me he could just take himself anywhere too, or that he would instead of walking out of the building like a normal person.

"Elise!" Penny called out from down the other end of the passage. "What's going on?"

I moved back down there, all the time trying to think about where he could have gone. "I've just gotta do something. Cover for me with my parents? Please?"

"Only if you tell me who the guy is."

"Long story short, it's Logan." Her mouth dropped, but before she could say anything I did. "So we good?" She dumbly nodded. "Thanks Pen!"

I went home, but no one was there. Checked the library and just like the bulk of the academy it was practically abandoned. Closing me eyes, I tried to find him - looking for that little blip on my radar like how it is with Cain. There wasn't anything.

He was gone.

"Shit." I went to the front of the Academy, half expecting him to be waiting on his motorbike, but of course he wasn't there. Then, I had an idea and turning up outside the house he had when we first met, it was dark inside and the yard was overgrown. Damn it! "Where did he go?"

"Who?" Apollo appeared before the front door, casually leaning on the veranda pole with his arms crossed over his chest, looking as though he didn't have a care in the world. It was that, cocky half smile on his face that got to me so instead of being nice and not risking possibly screwing everything up I smiled right back.

"Just the guy who owns this." I held up his journal and the smirk he had on his face dropped as he stood up straighter.

"How did you get that?" He demanded.

"It hasn't even been a week and I'm already ready to rip my hair out from dealing with Elise." I read out, from earlier this year. Flicking through a few more pages, I did it again. "She did punch Zane and got Jordan knocked out with a tranquilizer. That kind of gives me an indication on her mood at least, so maybe I should find that bullet proof vest and put on some safety gear too."

"Stop." Apollo practically growled.

Meeting his gaze, I raised my eyebrow. "Why? This chick sounds like a real keeper, what else is going on? Zombies, oh yeah that was a fun day. Didn't we get handcuffed together too?"

"Elise." He warns, stalking towards me as I start to walk backwards through the jungle of weeds. Getting to the new part, I know I'm really pushing him, but I'm not backing down now I've started this.

"I'm not a Tracker anymore. The urge is still there, which is ridiculous." He lunges and move to where he started from by the front door. "Five years of my existence was spent in that world. That is all and I kind of miss it- you miss my world or being Tracker? Who the hell would miss being animal control?"

The anger leaves him instantly, and slowly in a less threatening way Apollo wanders closer.

"What's wrong with Trackers, Hunter? I'm pretty sure I remember someone once imagining little tracker babies, with dark curls and stormy eyes." He mocks

"Actually it was Hunter babies." I correct. "And besides-"

Before I can really argue the point, he's way too close and makes a grab for the journal. "I put this in a fire. How did you get it?"

I drop my arm behind my back and pressed against the side of the house, I'm not moving so he can grab it. He was worried about creepy, but now I was being even creepier. I breathed him in. His smell; not some cologne or body wash, but that scent that was all his. The smell that had me refusing to wash my sheets for nearly a month in fear I'd lose it. The smell that stopped me from throwing out his stuff, because it still lingered on his clothes. I didn't need to read from the journal, I'd memorized every page since finding it yesterday morning. None of it had been dated for months, so had he moved on? He said he was done on the last page...

Unless I wanted to simply talk to his chest, I looked up and met his gaze. "I wonder what she's doing now. Does she miss me at all?"

Apollo stopped trying to get behind me for the journal, visibly swallowing as I was positive my heart was about to burst out of my body. "Does she?"

"I can't decide if I want to kill or kiss you, but that's like the story of my life."

He smiled, moving even closer as his hand boldly went to my waist and slipped around to rest on my lower back, keeping me close.

"That must be hard for you."

"She looks, happy. Anything I do now will just ruin that." That makes him cringe slightly and again, I find my self on the edge of a cliff, trying to work out whether or not to take that leap. If it all goes to hell- well I'd worry about that later and making bad decisions was like one the few things I did well.

"I know I said that, and that I was done, but I didn't mean it. I still, more than ever, love you Elise." he tilts my chin up so we're looking eye to eye. "I. Love. You. There is nothing left to hide now. I promise. Look me in the eye and tell me what you see."

Gods I love his eyes.

"You're wrong, about everything." I pause, yet dropping his journal beside us, I put my arms around his waist. "Except for one thing."

"What's that?"

"You really are, so whipped!" Leaning up I'm about to kiss when I pull back and look up above us where something is just floating mid air. "What is- is that mistletoe?"

Apollo shrugs, looking just a little guilty. "Call it my, Plan B."

"Unbelie-" I start, yet his kiss has me going quiet and it's so much more than just missing him. I still love the jerk too. We're breathless as we part, and he is actually, kind of glowing a little bit; not weird at all.

"Should we go inside?"

"Ah, is it safe?"

He rolls his eyes and then we're in the kitchen - a very empty, clean kitchen. "It's been cleaned out. The gardener I organised is clearly fired."

"So, you're sticking around then?" I ask casually.

"It's not home anymore. Everything I want is right here." He kisses my lips, my cheek and then my neck. "Say it. Please."

"What?"

"You know-" Another kiss on my neck, and this one sends a shiver up my spine. "What."

"I read you're supposed to be god of poetry, art and music. I'm sorry, but your poetry is terrible. Roses are red, really?" I teased, trying to pretend the feel of his hand sliding up my shirt wasn't giving me goosebumps or idea's that would have my name on Santa's naughty list.

"I have no idea where they got that from. I can't write for anything. I did go through a harp playing stage when I was younger, though even now everyone reminds me how terrible I was."

"Who even plays the harp?" I gasped, forgetting all about musical instruments as I lost my shirt and so did he. All the things I had missed were quickly coming back to me; I hadn't really cared about this until the heat of his skin burned against mine.

Then he was gone, standing completely serious in front of me like none that had just been going on.

"Say it, and I'll prove to you harp players are the best musicians out there."

"You're a jerk." I swiftly picked up and twirled around, being tickled as he did so. "Fine, fine! I will, just stop!"

I was put down and he looked at me, waiting.

"Just, did you really mean everything you wrote in there?" Some of it was really sweet. Most of it was actually and it had also broken my heart to see that he had been as fucked up as me.

"Every word." I believed him. "Please, just say it!"

He was practically begging now, but I couldn't stop myself.

"I'm sure lots of awesome people play the harp. Happy?" The look on his face turned dangerous in the best kind of ways and as he went to do it again, I shifted so as I was lifted, my legs were able to go around his waist and my arms looped over his neck. Then I said it. "I love you."

"I didn't hear that?"

"I love you!" I repeated a little louder, content to play along.

"Again." Apollo demanded.

"Now you're pushing it, harpy."

"What?" He froze and I patted his cheek, proud of myself.

"I can't call you Loges anymore can I. Harpy seems appropriate." I shrug.

"No. No it does not."

"It's getting late and I have to be home for Christmas. Good talk, I'll see you tomorrow?" I pecked his cheek quickly and moved out of his arms to grab my sweater.

"You're serious?"

I waved and ended up back in my room. Checking the house, Jordan and Chris were playing some war game and my parents weren't home yet. Still grinning like an idiot, I got ready for bed and just as I got comfortable, I wasn't alone.

"Can I stay?" He whispered, easily moving around me as I snuggled in close.

"Sure, but you're the one who has to face my family in the morning." Apollo tensed beside me before relaxing, the feel of his breath against my neck making me shiver again. "Dad will probably try to kill you. Just a heads up."

"Yeah he will." He groaned.

"Is that you Elise?" Jordan called a second later.

"No!" I answered.

"Penny told us. Dude, you're in so much shit!"

"Thanks!" Apollo answered.

"Hurt her again, and Dad will be the least of your worries." He threatened.

The background noise of the TV vanished and the sound of his bedroom door closing soon followed. We waited in silence as Chris came past and he threw in his own threat, before the thud of his footsteps going upstairs stopped.

"It's not going to be, that bad is it?" He asked hesitantly.

"No. Of course not." I yawned. "Probably worse. Goodnight!"

"Ah, yeah. Goodnight."

A few minutes later, I had to do just one more thing."Hey Harpy?"

"You're not calling me harpy, and what?"

"I love you." He squeezed me that little bit tighter and I closed my eyes; sighing happily.

"I love you too. Now, please go to sleep."

Finally, everything felt finished. Cain was right, some people can tick all their boxes. Sure we still had a long way to go, and two Apopythe demons to face, which would be nothing compared to the parents who would be waiting in the morning, and the trio of brothers ready to hurt a certain person... but if that was all we had to worry about. There were no more gods trying to fuck with me, no more big and bads out to kill me and no more being just a pawn in someone else's game.

For the first time in a long time, I felt excited for the New Year, because things could only get better.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 44.9K 70
Vampires have slayers. Werewolves have trackers. Everything else has a hunter. --- Elise Bunting knows all about the things that go bum...
381K 25.3K 19
[COMPLETED]✔ The Blood Magic Series |Book 3| 2017 Fiction Award Winner for Best Series. ⁃⁃⁃❖⁃⁃⁃ Orion has silently sat in the shadows, watching the...
37.1K 1.7K 40
Only a few weeks ago did Isabella defeat an ancient hellhound. Well sorta. But no one has seen him giving Isabella some relief to plan for college. A...