Take Your Time

By ccj-11

What happens when you are in high school trying to figure out who you are and what your purpose in the world... More

Take Your Time
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Endgame

Chapter 16

8.2K 289 59
By ccj-11

Caitlin POV

Sunday went by with no word from Peyton. It's now Monday and I just got to school. We have practice after school for our game tomorrow, but first I have to concentrate on getting through this school day.

I walk through the school doors and straight to my locker. As I get closer, I notice someone by it. "Why are you here so early?"

"I'm always early." Tyler smirks and we both know that is a lie. "Is it a crime that I wanted to come early to see you?"

I start putting my things in my locker. "No, but why? You see me all the time throughout the school day so why come here early?"

"So this would be special." I shut my locker and look at him confused. "Will you go on a date with me Thursday night?"

Did he really ask me out? "On a school night?"

"I know that's weird but I have my last game Friday night and then you girls play Saturday." He did his research. "So what do you say?"

Exactly, what do I say? "Okay, but it's only one date. It doesn't mean anything else."

"Yet." He grins. "But I understand. One step at a time is good for me."

That is good to hear. "I'll see you around. I have to run to the locker room."

"Okay. Have a great day, beautiful."

Aw, did he just call me beautiful? He is so different when is around Logan.

I walk down the hall smiling like an idiot, but I don't care. He made me feel good.

I round the corner and go into the locker room. My smile fades as I spot Peyton. I act as if I don't see her even though her locker cubby is right by mine. After I get my stuff in there I turn to walk out. Unfortunately it wasn't that easy to escape. There was a tug on my arm and I know it's Peyton since we are the only ones in the room.

"Caitlin." She says softly. "Are you not going to say hi?"

"How about a rain check?" I spit out.

Peyton lets out a sigh. "You are mad at me."

Ding. Ding. Ding.

"Why would I be mad at you?" I voice angrily. "It's not like I had something important to tell you. Let's not forget how you threatened not to play if I didn't tell you. You were so interested until your girlfriend showed up and you ran off with her."

Peyton closes her eyes for a brief second. "Halie and I are not dating!" I saw her for the first time in a couple of months. I talked to her for the first time in almost three fucking years."

Peyton cursed. She is upset. I'm the one who has the right to be upset, not her. "Whatever you say Peyton."

I try to walk out but Peyton shouts which stops me. "Stop! Please just stop."

I look back at her. "Why? What do you want, Peyton?"

"I want to know what news you had." She spoke softly again. "Please?"

I take a deep breath. "It's not like it matters anymore."

"Caitlin, I don't want us to be in a fight."

Neither do I. "Peyton, I don't know what to do okay?"

"What do you mean?"

I look right at her blue eyes. "I've let you know how I feel about you and you've made it clear you don't feel the same. You keep going on dates with Andi and now Halie is in your life again."

She reaches for me but I take a step back. "Caitlin, you don't know what you want. You say you like me but only if no one knows."

"You are wrong." I shoot back. "I told someone. It's you who doesn't know what you want. You can't admit it so you put the blame on me but that's fine. I'll take the blame and the pain, but I won't let you hurt me over and over. That is the pain I can't bear."

This time I leave the locker room and I don't turn back. Peyton is the one who can't decide what she wants not me,

It was easy to avoid Peyton for the first part of the day, but of course there is lunch and we sit at the same table. I take my usual spot and keep my eyes on my food.

"Okay." I hear McKenna speak. "Somebody better tell me what the hell is going on. I'm sitting with two people who are looking at their lunches with a depressed look and it's making me feel all sad inside."

I lift my eyes to her. "Just leave it alone."

"Why? I don't even know what I am even leaving alone." Her eyes bounce between the both of us. "Both of you should be beaming with joy right now."

McKenna can never be quiet. "Why?" I shouldn't entertain her, but I do.

"First off, Peyton's hot ass ex-girlfriend lives in the same city as we do. Did I mention she is hot?" McKenna laughs and is the only one laughing. "Then there is Caitlin here who is going on a date with Tyler on Thursday! There is love in the air for all!" McKenna's smile drops quickly. "But for me."

Peyton's eyes look right at and they are shooting daggers. "You are going on a date with Tyler?"

McKenna wraps her arms around my neck and pulls me in. "Yes she is! He asked her this morning. Aren't you happy for her?"

"Thrilled." Peyton clenches her teeth together and lies. "If you guys will excuse me I need to go to the bathroom."

I get up from the table after Peyton leaves the cafeteria. "I have to go too. I'll be right back."

Before McKenna could say anything I took off. I rush out the cafeteria doors. I walk along the hallway trying to figure out where Peyton went. I know she didn't go to the bathroom.

As I walk by a door, I see an arm reach out and pull me in. "What the hell." I whisper.

Peyton stands in the cramped janitor closet right in front of me. "You are going on a date with Tyler? I thought you didn't like him."

A jealous and furious Peyton is a very interesting combo. "It's one date. It's not a big deal. Why do you care?"

"Because you keep lying to my face!" She growls. "You do like him!"

"I do not like him, but maybe I could. At least he is interested in me."

Peyton shoves my shoulder. "That is stupid."

I give her a shove back. "Why? You shouldn't even care."

"It's not nice to lead people on."

"Look who's talking!" I laugh. "You mean it's not nice to make Peyton jealous."

"I'm not jealous." She spits through gritted teeth.

"Great, then this conversation is over." I try to move towards the door but Peyton steps in the way. "What are you doing? Hell, why are we even in here?"

Peyton stays quiet, but her eyes tell me why we are here. It's funny how Peyton saying nothing says it all.

I can tell she isn't going to do anything. She only acts on what she wants when she has an excuse to blame it on. Well thank goodness that for the both of us, I'm willing to sacrifice the consequences.

I take a step forward to close the remaining space between us. I slowly brought my right hand up and cupped her cheek. "This is why you are mad about Tyler."

"I'm not mad." She whispers. "We should go back to lunch."

I nod my head to the door. "After you." Peyton doesn't budge. "If you don't leave, I am going to kiss you." I gave her a stern warning.

Peyton still doesn't move. I lean in slowly giving her a chance to leave. Once I'm a couple inches away I close my eyes.

I capture her lips in between mine and I instantly feel the spark. I slid my hand that was on her cheek back behind her head, getting it tangled in her hair.

As I break the kiss, Peyton finally moves. Her hands grip on my hips and she pulls my lower half into her. Our lips connect once again as we enjoy a heated make out session. Lips were being bitten, hips were being clutched, and soft moans were being let out. Peyton even grabs my ass at one point.

This feels right. This is what I want. Nothing can stop this. Nothing but...

*ring*

The bell rings indicating lunch is over. "We should go." I whisper against her lips. "Don't worry, we can pretend like this never happened."

It hurts to say that but I know how it's going to be once we walk out the door. This is what Peyton wants. It is just like when she would only say things or act on things when she wasn't sober. Again it brings me back to the Selena Gomez song.

Up in the clouds, yeah you know how to make me want you. When we come down, oh I know it's over.

Peyton POV

Caitlin left the janitor closet and I stayed behind. My head is up in the cloud trying to figure out what happened. When did everything get so confusing? Would it be like this if we didn't go to the same camp this summer?

I finally exit the closet which leads to looks from students who saw me. I ignore them and walk down the hall.

As I got to my locker, I realized something. Caitlin mentioned she told someone about her feelings for me. Who though? McKenna is her best friend but I could tell at lunch it wasn't her.

Did she tell her brother? She mentioned at camp how they were tight. Caitlin telling him doesn't make sense if his best friend is going on a date with her. I am sure he is thrilled about that.

Wait... Caitlin is going on a date... I don't trust Tyler with her, not at all. What if he tries to make a move? What if she lets him?

I walk quickly to my next class and get situated before the bell rings. I open up my book and slide it down in my lap. I pull my phone out and use my book as a shield.

Peyton: What are you doing Thursday night?

I look up at the board and realize all the teacher is doing today is going through a PowerPoint. I glance back to my phone where Halie's name appears.

Halie: Studying. Why? Do you have a better offer?

Peyton: Not sure if it's a better offer, but do you want to hang out?

Halie: Twice in one week... What are you up to?

I shake my head at the text.

Peyton: We have a lot of lost time to make up...

Halie: True, text me details later

Peyton: Okay, will do...

"Peyton." My head shoots up. "Would you care to explain what I was just talking about?"

All the students are looking at me, which I find annoying. I glance at the board where the projector screen is.

I got off lucky and was able to bullshit my way through it.

When pre-calculus came around I was in a hurry to get to the classroom. I get in there and as I take my seat Caitlin walks in. Our eyes met and I suddenly felt nervous. She keeps her eyes locked on mine until she passes my seat and takes hers.

"Are you alright?" She whispers. "You look like you have seen a ghost?"

I turned around in my seat so I could look at her. "Where is Tyler taking you Thursday?"

Caitlin's eyebrows arc up. "Why do you want to know?"

"Can't a girl be curious?" I try to play off. "I want to make sure he takes my friend somewhere decent."

Caitlin's eyebrows now knit together. "Your friend."

Before I could respond, class started. I turn around before I get myself in trouble. I already risked it in one class today.

Once class was over, I walked alongside Caitlin as I walked out. "Do you not think we are friends?"

Caitlin turns her head and gives me a slight glare. "We're not friends, nor have we ever been. We just try to keep those secrets a lie."

I grab her arm and stop her from walking. "Did you just Ed Sheeran lyric me?"

"Surprise you know of him."

Who the hell doesn't know of him, especially of a late with how he has blown up in the United States? "Between him, Kehlani, Maggie Rogers and Kiana Lede, they are my top favorite solo artists."

Caitlin nods. "Good to know."

"Why did you use his lyrics? Do you think our friendship is a lie?"

Caitlin looks around before yanking on my arm and dragging me towards the girl's bathroom. Once in there she looks around and sees it's empty.

"What are we doing here?" I question her antics.

Caitlin knocks my books out of my hands and takes a step in. She gently places her hand on my cheek and leans in. I closed my eyes and was soon met with the softest pair of lips.

"Friends shouldn't kiss like we do." Caitlin whispers and takes a step back. "We are going to be late for practice..."

Holy shit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

624 33 33
Ever since Skye Ramara's family passed, she has no idea what she would do without her friends Reese and Zoeysha. She was a nerd who stuck up for her...
168 4 26
18-year-old Ada had a tough life. Always lying about who she really is, always hiding behind a mask, until she couldn't do it anymore. But telling he...
64.6K 1.4K 5
***REVISED EDITION*** Best friends since childhood, Kayla and Skye spend almost every minute together. From playing outside to worrying about college...
543 16 29
Our parent's made life look easy. They made love look easy. What they didnt make look easy? Was High School. They didn't tell us High School could te...