My Complicated Life

By almc98

After a long summer in San Francisco, I'm returning back to Orlando to live with my step brother, Jason, and... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 1

299 4 0
By almc98

 "Come on!" I yelled at my suitcase. I had spent all morning packing and, of course, I couldn't fit everything in my suitcase. Tomorrow morning I was heading back to Florida and let me just say I absolutley could not wait. Summer was over in a week and I would finally be starting high school. I was nervous but excited at the same time. 

 The summer had pretty much been completely different than I had expected. The day after I got back from Florida I headed over to Tatum's house to see her and Hadley for the first time since November. The good thing about where my house in San Fransico is, is that everything is within walking distance. I was super excited to see my old best friends and I had so much to share with them. When I got to Tatum's house, three girls instead of two came to the door. I guess over the past few months while I was gone they met a new girl to be in our friend group. Her name was Alexis and she had long brown hair with the ombre effect that faded to blonde. Her parents had to move to San Fransico from London, England so she had this amazing accent. She was gorgeous and seemed really nice, but things didn't feel the same. I felt like the three of them had all of these inside jokes and stories that I couldn't relate to. I could tell Hadley felt like they weren't giving me a chance to say much so occasionally she would ask me questions about things in Florida. When they finally stopped sharing their jokes, Tatum asked me to explain where I had been since November. 

  "Well I had to move to Orlando to live with my dad and step brother," I began.

"I didn't know your parents were divorced. Why didn't you ever tell us?" Tatum asked.

"Well I didn't exactly know my parents were divorced until a week before I left. Anyways, my dad ended up going missing and then later my brother went into the hospital, which is why I hung up on you that time. Along the way my brother, Jason, and I moved in with his mom, and that's where I'm moving back to at the end of the summer until my dad gets out of jail," I said.

"Woah! That's crazy! So what did your dad do?" Tatum asked.

"He kind of just disappeared one night and then he broke back into the house one night while he was drunk a couple weeks later."

"Wait so who did you live with while your dad was gone?" Tatum asked. 

"My older brother," I said.

"How old is he?" Tatum asked. In case you haven't noticed, Tatum likes to ask questions.

"He was sixteen, but he turns seventeen in July," I answered.

"Is he hott?" Hadley asked to break the solemn mood.

"I don't know!" I answered laughing.

"Do you have a picture of him?" Tatum asked. I did miss going boy crazy with my friends, even if they were talking about my brother. It would have been really strange if I was fangirling over a boy with Cameron.

"No, but he has a Facebook," I answered.

    Alexis pulled out her new generation MacBook Pro from her back pack and logged onto her Facebook. I could tell she was rich, because everything she had was name brand stuff. I later learned that her Dad was a highly trained heart surgeon. 

"What's his name?" Alexis asked.

"Jason Davis," I said shaking my head at the fact that my friends wanted to see whether my step brother was hott or not.

"That's your brother?" Tatum asked pointing to the computer screen.

I nodded.

"Dang! He's hott!" she exclaimed, causing us to all break out in a fit of laughter.

"Tatum thinks everyone's brother is hott. Remeber in sixth grade when you guys spent the night and my brother and his girlfriend were eating on the couch, so she kept wanting to go downstairs?" Hadley asked.

"Yes!" I exclaimed as Tatum blushed.

"It's okay, Tatum. Atleast you were the first out of us to get a boyfriend," Hadley said.

"Seriously? Jake doesn't count because that was in fifth grade and elementary dating doesn't count. So technically I've never had a boyfriend," she said defending herself.

"So who did you hang out with in Florida? Were they as awesome as us?" Hadley asked to change the subject.

"I pretty much just hung out with this kid named Cameron but we didn't really have a friend group like we have," I answered.

"So is this a friend or a boyfriend?" asked Tatum wiggling her eyebrows.

"I mean, he's a boy, but we aren't like boyfriend and girlfriend or anything," I replied.

"Have you kissed him yet? If you have, you'll have been the first to kiss a boy out of all of us," Tatum asked with curiosity.

"Does it count if he kissed me?" I asked.

"On the lips?" Tatum asked with a huge grin.

"Yeah, twice," I said looking down to hide my blushing face.

"Yes! And Twice? This kid must really like you!" she said squealing.

 Once again, we all broke out into a fit of laughter.

"What's his name?" Hadley asked as she grabbed the laptop off of Alexis's lap.

"Cameron Ross," I replied.

"He's pretty good looking, but not as good looking as your brother," Tatum said.

"You guys are even more boy crazy than you were before," I said shaking my head.

"Says the girl whose been kissed not once, but twice!" said Tatum jokingly punching me in the arm.

 We both continued to laugh the rest of the evening as we joked around. My mom said I had to be home before dark, so I left after dinner. I spent lots of time with Hadley, Tatum, and Alexis, but for some reason I couldn't seem to become friends with Alexis. She was nice when we were all together, but I noticed that when I called and one person was busy, they were all busy so I got the idea that they probably wanted to hang out without me. I hadn't planned on spending much time alone over summer break, but that definently changed. 

   Since I was really little, I've never been one to enjoy reading, but for some reason over the summer I started reading a ton more. There is a Half-Price-Books store about a block away from my house so every couple weeks I would walk down there and get a a new book. I've also started to listen to a lot more music. I have always loved music, but now I find myself running out of iTunes money very quickly. I discovered this band called Two Door Cinema Club over the summer and it is currently my  favorite band. I decided when I got back to Florida I would ask Cameron and Jason what music they listen to. 

 So pretty much my summer was pretty dull and I learned just how boring of a person I am. I hope I don't come across as boring to other people.

  _____________________________________________________________________________

 "Time to go!" my mom yelled up the stairs.

"Coming!" I yelled back.

I grabbed my things and quickly headed down the stairs. Last time I left I was sad to be saying goodbye to my home, family, and freinds, but this time I was glad to be leaving. I was bored as heck and ready to see Jason and Cameron. Because of the time change, I was going to be landing in Florida at about seven at night. When we arrived at the airport, my mom and younger sister, Harper, walked with me into the airport and my mom checked my bags in for me. My step dad wasn't able to come with us because he had a work meeting that morning.

"Bye, Sissy!" my sister said as we arrived at security.

"Bye, Harper," I said hugging her back.

"Bye, Callie. Make sure you at least text me to tell me you made it there fine," my mom said hugging me.

"Okay," I said.

 A lady then led me through the security lines and then to the terminal. After boarding the plane, it took off from San Fransico and landed five and a half hours later in Orlando. When I got off the plane, I followed the group of people on my plane to the baggage claim area, where Jason would be waiting to pick me up. When I got there, the bags began coming down on a conveyor belt. Jason wasn't there yet, but I didn't expect him to be because the plane landed early. As I went to grab my bag when it came around, I felt someone tap my shoulder. 

"Can I help you?" I said turning around and lifting the bag from the conveyor belt. 

"Not unless you want a ride home," a familiar voice spoke.

"Jason!" I exclaimed as I hugged him.

"So I guess you do want the ride home," he laughed and hugged me back.

"Yes," I said nodding my head. Luckily he didn't look any different than when I left. He still had the braces and checkered Vans. For some reason I expected people to look different when I returned even though it had only been a few months.

"Well you look just like you did when you left, except you lost the shoes," he said pointing to my feet.

"My mom threw my old ones away and bought me these," I said pointing to my newer white high top converse with red piping.

"Oh," he said nodding his head,"It was probablt time for a new pair anyway.

"Yeah," I said as Jason picked my bag up off of the ground.

 We headed outside to where his pick up truck was parked. He put my bags in the backseat, which I must say, looked much cleaner then when my dad had picked me up last year.

"So I went and saw Dad the other day," Jason said as he continued to drive.

"Really?" I said a little shocked.

"Yup. I told him you were coming back for the school year," he continued.

"What else did you guys talk about?" I asked.

"He pretty much just complained about the horrible jail food the whole time," Jason laughed.

"Well I do have some good news for you," Jason said moments later.

"What?" I asked.

"So over the summer my mom actually cleaned out the upstairs and now the guest bedroom is yours," he said with a smile. 

"Seriously? That's awesome!" I exclaimed.

"And this time there is an actual bed in your room," he said referring to the room I had received from Dad last year.

"Dang it!" I said with sarcasm.

"I still can't decide if I missed your sarcasm or not," Jason said shaking his head.

"You know you did," I said with a cheesy smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

220K 12.5K 54
I wince when my bangles dig into my skin,forcing a smile,hoping my boredom didn't show in my movements. I inwardly roll my eyes when my father makes...
179K 2.6K 20
I was staying with my dad, because my stupid mom had to go to Paris with her friends for vacation knowing I start school this year. I would be stayin...
273 5 21
Sam love life hasn't been easy, but that all changes when he moved in with his new step family in Georgia.
12.3K 364 22
I'm Lindsay Bradford. I'm about to move from Chicago to Miami Florida. Leaving the only life I've ever known won't be much fun. But what choice do I...