Whispers Under the Moonlight...

De bookie032

[Sequel to Scent of Blood]: "Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own." Born i... Mai multe

Fiery Blue
Grey Eyes
Concurrent
Repression
The Sun and Sky
A Ballad for the Moon
Talking to The Moon
Burden
Wisps
Room-schooled
Bad Air, Bad Vibes
Hunger Pangs
Enkindled
Numb Belligerence
Reparable
Precautions
Indecisions
Exordium
Escape
Day of Souls
Silent Prophecy
Not Worth the Candle
Sliver of Grey
Tremble
Heart | Body
Fight the Sky
Of Spirits and Mortals [Part 1]
Of Spirits and Mortals [Part 2]
Lies in Her eyes
Knave turned Knight
Repentance Unforgiven
What Belonged to Her
Violinist's Doctor
Hopeless
At the End of a Long Escape
Hexed in Sleep
Of Spirits and Mortals [Part 3]
Love & Sacrifice
Whispers Under the Moonlight

Shattered

1.1K 86 6
De bookie032

"If you do not tell the truth about yourself, you cannot tell it about other people." – Virginia Woolf

Opening her eyes, there was darkness all around her with nothing but star-like dots hovering in one direction; she stood up with a gentle push from the ground as she peered through the cosmos, searching for an explanation as to where she was and how she had gotten there.

Pacing forward, the stars followed her step as she looked down and saw nothing but a cosmic floor, but not a single planet existed in this space. Gazing up, there was no light that even the stars could not form a path for her; she stared at her body and found it intact, unlike her dream where she could not see her own body.

What is this place?

Katherine questioned as she walked around in circles before a beam of light pillared up to the sky that made her approach it with curiosity; walking up to this great pillar of light, it soon vanished and formed a sphere on the ground where a pool of water resided that soon rippled into several images – a vision of sorts.

Staring into this crystal blue, a blurred face manifested in the water and slowly, the surface calmed that made her eyes widen for a second; her jaw dropped for a moment as her eyes finally narrowed, wondering what this was and why she could see Hailey inside it. From the look of her tousled shirt and smudged cheeks, she can tell that she was in the pit at the time, but why she can see her made her wonder.

"Wolfie?"

Fae?

"Wolfie!"

As the cosmos around her spun, her body floated and eventually entered the pool of water; her vision darkened then lit up like a fire where she found herself in front of Hailey, almost making her smile.

Reaching out to her, Hailey raised her arms in fear as her elemental pulled her back which made Katherine eye her with wonder. She examined her, at how her eyes looked concern, sympathetic, but above all, frightened.

"Fae, what's-"

Before Katherine cold even finish her sentence, a hulking polar bear came charging at her which made her stand there, unsure what to do. Dodging to the left, the bear tackled not her, but the ferocious werewolf that she knew not stood behind her.

Who... is that...?

It took the polar bear head on and merely lifted it over its head before successfully slamming it hard on the ground, which elicited a pained roar from the furry beast. Her eyes examined the werewolf that stood at least ten foot tall and muscular in size, its fur pitch black as the darkness with two streaks of grey on its back, joining on the top of its head.

"Oriana!"

Katherine's head flung to Hailey, who zoomed past the werewolf and commanded herself out of her golem, to leave it fending for both of them. She rolled under the werewolf who tried to swing its claws under her, but the elemental golem shouted a gust of wind at the beast, that made the werewolf stumble back by a tad bit.

Shuffling onto her feet, Katherine ran towards Oriana as much as she had already stood up, shaking her head as Hailey tried to examine her. As she got there, she noticed a gash on the polar bear's head which made her clench her teeth as soon as she approached her; a blinding light emerged as Hailey saw Oriana revert back to her human form.

"Ori, stay with me," Hailey told her as she pulled her arm over her shoulder and began to pull her away from the werewolf, "You're going to be fine, just stay awake."

Ori smiled despite her concussion, parting her lips to speak, but only managed to look at Hailey before she completely passed out. The crowd was silent as they felt their heartbeats pulsate uncontrollably, eager to know what was happening; the teachers have already been dispatched by the headmaster, who questioned the organiser of the event.

Without another second, the headmaster began sending the students out, most of them reluctant to leave the arena. The former players within the arena had begun to tear the invisible wall apart, but the Tyrants were causing the most ruckus. Prince was once again in his werewolf form, trying hard to break the invisible barrier in front of them.

"Ori we'll get you-"

As Katherine tried to lift Ori's arm over hers, her hands slipped through her slender arms that left her mouth agape; she tried again and again to take Ori's arm, but every time she did, her hands merely phased through it.

What's going on here?

Looking at her hands, they seem completely normal, but whenever she tried to touch either of them, her hands – even her whole body – turned hollow just trying to touch them. She stood there and watched with fear as Hailey tried to drag the taller teen towards safety whilst thunder and lightning brawled nearby.

"Isn't it beautiful?"

"Wh-?"

Before Katherine could even ask who spoke amidst the conflict, her eyes darted up to where the voice came only to find a tall brunette in a gentleman's suit, where her features were hidden except for her chest; she stood tall with both her hands on a cane whilst looking down at her with her blue eyes.

"I never expected this to be what was in that wolf's heart either," she spoke in her ghastly high-pitched voice that sounded a little surprised, "Oh well, it still looks a lot more entertaining than expected."

"Who are you?" Katherine questioned as the woman finally took notice of her and grinned with amusement.

"Well, well, well," she smirked, "What do we have here?" and raised a brow as she vanished and reappeared beside Katherine, who grew wide eyed at the apprehension inside her chest, "It appears that you've finally crossed," she spoke as Katherine turned to her and took a step back in defence, "But WHY you're here is a bit of a question,"' she continued as she pinched her chin in between her index and thumb to examine her thoroughly, "Have you perhaps died before?"

"No I haven't!" Katherine exclaimed as the werewolf decimated the wind golem and roared out loud that almost shook the pit. It inhaled in quick succession as it set its sights on the duo, who were not even close to safety; some of the other players have already turned away from them, but the Tyrants and the Night did not wish to leave. They gave it their all at tearing down the invisible, crystalline barrier that seemed nearly indestructible.

Running towards its prey, the werewolf flew towards Hailey and almost caught the duo in panic if not for another golem's interference; Hailey managed to summon a rock golem just before it reached them, hoping to deter its course by commanding her golem to hold down the beast.

Unable to keep still, Katherine ran towards Hailey, hoping to at least or possibly, somehow, help them; she knew not what she could do in her ghostly form other than see these visions she could not tell for certain were true.

Her footsteps were silent, nearly feather-like in weight as she almost reached Hailey, unsure how to even defend them. As she got closer to them, she heard the silence enter – with exception of the growling beast – where only the teachers and the combatants remained to try and help with what was happening. None of them knew how or why this even happened at all.

From the corner of her eye, she could see her pack hound violently punching an invisible wall, which made her realise that something was keeping them out as much as this something kept them in.

Reaching her friends, she tried to will herself to attach itself to the realm Hailey was in, hoping to help them in any way. Her heartbeat echoed above the clash of the golem and the wolf, where Hailey's ragged breathing loudened in par with her pulse

"Hailey..." Katherine reached out to her as she tried to lighten her burden; her fingers touched Hailey's arm that made the blue-haired teen glance her way with furrowed brows. "Hailey...?"

Waiting for her to speak, Katherine saw shadow creep by Hailey's shoulder that made her turn to the wolf. Rubble lies under its feet that turned to dust which showed how powerful it was – enough to obliterate a rock golem. It breathed out loud as its black eyes stared at Hailey, who seemed to have been completely frozen by fear.

"It appears no spirits wish to commune her plea," the voice spoke once again whilst Katherine shot her a quick glance, "The big finale is about to begin."

Clenching her jaw, she got in front of the wolf's path and spread her arms out; desperation had clung to her heart as she tried to at least hold back the wolf however she can. She looked at it straight in its dark eyes whilst her heartbeat echoed bravery, anger, but above all, determination.

"It's futile, Kath," the voice spoke over Katherine's frightened heartbeat, "You can't stop the beast before you," it continued as it chuckled at her with a hint of amusement, "Especially when you're not in it."

In it...?

The wolf got closer and closer as Hailey tried to take several steps back, nearly hitting the border of the wall that had somehow turned to grey which blocked any visibility outside of the arena; the transparent cage reacted to the presence powerful within it.

Backed against the wall, Hailey stared at the werewolf as she felt her fear – mixed with pity – reside in her pulse. Her eyes departed from the monstrous beast and laid itself onto Oriana, who remained unconscious from the head gash she attained. A sad smile crept in her lips as she stared at her senior's face.

This... beast... is me...?

Quivering at her wretched form, Katherine could not believe her eyes, at how barbaric her powers had turned her into. Her arms slowly fell as she felt her knees cave in and knelt in disbelief in front of the horror her powers had become, at the pain she had caused her dear friends.

"This..." she exhaled in a whisper as her head hung itself, unable to face herself any longer, "was all my fault..."

"It's too late to blame yourself, child," the voice spoke in near amusement, "There's no time to repent," it commented, "Your heart may be able to set you free."

My... heart...?

The ground crunched beside her as she saw a shadow walk past her, which made her slowly raise her head; her heartbeat drummed erratically as much as her eyes grew wide. A lump formed in her throat as she watched Hailey stand in front of her own monstrous form.

"Hailey...?" She questioned as she watched the blue-haired teen raise her arms side ways to prevent the wolf to continue, "Hailey stay back! You'll only get hurt!"

"Wolfie," Hailey spoke with a smile on her face, "I know you're there," she called out to her softly; her voice quivering as much as the rest of her body shook. "Please, stop this."

The werewolf stood there and glared down at Hailey; with each step it took, it took deep breaths as if trying to look for something. Closer and closer, the werewolf lowered its gaze at Hailey, who stood firm with a quaking heart. It could smell the fear in her as much as it could smell just the three of them within that dome.

"Now," the voice spoke as Katherine found herself sucked into the cosmic void once again; she was no longer alone, but with the voice from before. She had long flowing hair and wore a white gentleman's suit that even had a tie on it, completed by a walking cane. "Let's see how everything ends, yes?"

"No!" Katherine protested as she tried to approach the pillar, but vanished before she could even get to it, "Take me back!"

"That's really beyond my power," she answered her as Katherine looked at her, only to feel her body stiffen straight, "But I do have other powers."

"Let me go!" Katherine growled as she tried to control her body, only to have herself lifted up a few feet up in spread eagle, where a bubble floated in front of her whilst the other figure stood in front of her, "I have no time for your games!"

The figure grinned at her as her piercing blue gaze stared into her, almost as if stabbing her with just her eyes. Katherine glared back at her as the bubble in front of her lit up; dust covered her view and eventually it spread out, where her eyes grew wide eyed at both her unconscious friends.

Both of them lie unconscious together – side by side – as if there was something planned for them. Hailey had a small gash on her cheek as much as Oriana's head wound remained; there was a light above them as Katherine stared at their faces, the moonlight reacting to her body.

"What sick game are you playing?" Katherine growled through clenched teeth as she glared down at the woman below her, who only looked at her with an amused look. "Release me!" she roared out loud, "Now!"

"I have made you choose once, have I not?" the nameless figure queried her as Katherine threw a tantrum, trying her best to break free from her invisible chains, "Now that it is real, where their lives are truly at stake," she explained as the bubble grew bigger, "So, who will it be?"

"I will not play your game!" Katherine seethed as the woman pointed her cane at her, "You will never break me!"

The woman chuckled at first before it turned into laughter, maniacal screeching that almost deafened Katherine. She smirked at the petty wolf, who had her eyes locked at her friends; worry was completely evident in her heart as much as the figure could sense it. There was care for both of them, but even she knew she cared for one of them more.

As the bubble grew into a bigger shape, Katherine watched as two claws held both her friends up into the moonlight; their faces were blackened by their shadows. A loud howl greeted the moonlight as she saw the sharpened nail of the thumb graze the necks of both her friends, which made Katherine lean forward in attempt to help them.

"Stop!" Katherine shouted, "Let them go!"

The woman shook her head, "It is not I you should be bothered with," she spoke as she began to walk away and vanished, "But it is your heart that you should reason with."

Heart pulsating, mind going mad; Katherine clenched her fist as her body tried to break free from her shackles. The bubble floated in front of her as if tempting her further with each passing second as her dagger-like nail almost pierced the thin skin on their neck.

Looking at Hailey, she could feel heartache within her heart; her pulse skipped several steps as sadness knocked at its door. Her sleeping face was in pain that made her angry at herself; she did not wish for this to happen to her, not after everything they have gone through.

Why should she sacrifice her for Oriana?

On the other hand, looking at the passed out senior, she could only feel betrayal and a lot of resentment – not at her, but at herself once again. The friendship they had was beautiful, but she could not see a future of them being together, but she could not say the same for Hailey. Both of them were good friends to her and her heart could not outweigh the other.

So, what choice did she have?

"I'm sorry," Katherine hung her head as a defeated sigh escaped her lips as much as tears began streaming down her face. Regret filled her chest as her body finally succumbed to the shackles, which made her body drop forward as if surrendering to the circumstances. There was no other choice and it was the only one she could think of.

Giving one last look at her, she smiled through the sadness of her heart as tears dampened her eyes; regret could not engulf her heart any bigger as much as resentment began to conquer her heart. She did not wish to do this, but she had to. It was the only answer she had to end this misery.

"I'm sorry, Hailey..."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Child.

"What...?"

Wake up, I know you'd want to see this.

"What's going on...?"

Silence overwhelming, Hailey opened her eyes to find herself staring into the cosmic abyss; her ephemeral form hovering over the universe. Turning to her side, a familiar figure stood beside her with worried brown eyes as much as there was sadness in them; she offered him a smile, but he responded by shaking his head.

"Why am I here?"

You came here when you fell unconscious.

Recalling the last of her mortal experience, she recalled how Katherine was about to stab her with her sharpened claws right through the heart; the memory made her clutch her chest as her heartbeat echoed across the cosmos. Taking a deep breath, she tried not to think of it, but rather, she recalled the sad look in Katherine's irises, unsure whether she was dead or alive at the moment.

"Be calm, child," her friend and mentor comforted her as he placed an arm around her shoulder, "It seems you are needed here," he tried to explain as Hailey tried to peer through the stars for her purpose, "What or why you are, I don't know."

Lowering her gaze, Hailey tried to sense for the purpose of her ascension; there was nothing in the oblivion before her that was trying to communicate. The empty space seemed far too distant that it felt like she has never been to that place before; concentrating, she tried to find something – anything – to tell her why she was there.

As her eyes concentrated on the cosmic floor, a shooting star shot past her vision that made her stare, wondering what that was about. A second went and the same star ran past her again as though seeking her attention; it swirled underneath her feet as she watched it rise to her level, which made her cover her eyes from the blaze of its fire.

The flames grazed her skin that should have melted at the simplest touch, but instead the flame turned clue around her that formed an aura; the fire warmed her body which made her feel a particular set of emotions that made her eyes widen.

"This comet of emotions is burning bright, but who could be holding them?"

"Wolfie..." She whispered under her breath as the shooting star shot ahead of her that made her dash behind it; the voice of her me echoed from behind but she did not bother. Her heart palpitated against her chest as she flew with the comet beside her, blazing like the worry within her heart.

Soaring through the galactic abyss, Hailey searched for the emotions gone astray from left to right, hoping to find her dear friend. She knew not how this come to pass under her presence, aware that this was a failure on her part – failure to see that Katherine was also another victim.

"Wolfie, wait for me, please..."

Pleading with her heart, she flew faster and faster as the emotions grew even brighter – nearer to her; the flames beside her began to descend as the comet passed through the invisible barrier underneath her, returning to its original path.

Sadness soon grew rampant all around her as water began to come in tides in front of her. Blocking her face, the water ate her as she heard Katherine's voice manifest in the water; her heartbeat echoed with sympathy as she tried to ingest her feelings.

"This was my fault."

"None of this would have happened if it weren't for me."

"I'm the only reason everyone in the Pit grew frightened."

"I hurt them, gave them pain none dare imagine."

"Now, Hailey and Oriana are gravely wounded because of me."

Clenching her jaw, Hailey swam towards the surface and tried to find the source of this sadness; as she search for its original, a strong gush of wind blew and stirred the ocean. A whirlpool formed within the water that wanted to suck her in, but the flame she inherited from the comet allowed her to burn the draft that tried to take her.

The torrent of regret swirled within the sea of sadness, where Hailey looked down from as she ascended away from the tornado that had begun to form in the middle; it was the hate that corrupted the land of a kind a heart.

"I can't."

"I shouldn't."

"But I must."

"I need to."

"Wolfie, I'm coming!" Hailey exclaimed as she began her flight to where she thought Katherine would be – at the centre of that vortex. Riding against the current of the wind, Hailey fought everything that came at her that hindered her effort to save her friend – a dear friend that she could not risk losing.

Not again.

A part of her believed that all this happened because of her and for all the time that Katherine saved her, now was the time for her to save her in return. Their friendship was valuable – how much, was something not even the world could ever pay for; her heartbeat drummed out loud knowing that she no longer had to hide the feelings she had within.

Darting into the vortex, Hailey could feel Katherine's emotion grow stronger in a negative spiral; all her thoughts consisted nothing of regret, sadness and anger – fury riding the tides of the water. The centre of the vortex was dark as much as everything around her became an abyss of emotions, where not a speck of light could be seen. In the dark, she tried to ignore the torrent of pain that Katherine's emotions have been dealing on her, aware that the toll would be great when reality returns.

"No more."

"None will feel pain again."

"Not from I."

"Nor from the other me within."

Struggling to reach the base of the vortex, Hailey could feel the pain within her heart – the sorrow that she wanted to replace with kindness for her friend; a part of her wanted to beat Katherine awake from the misery she was causing her own. She was never weak and even at her lowest, Hailey knew that Katherine was always the better person – the better friend.

With each passing second, her descent began to slow; a speck of light finally dawned at the long way down. Hope lightened Hailey's heart as she kept on flying into the vortex; her arm outstretched to reach her friend. The vortex became more violent as her descent took her closer to the light; her ephemeral body began tearing itself from Katherine's debris of hate.

"Wolfie, I'm here for you!" She screamed with fire in her eyes as she pushed forward with everything inside her, aware that this could also be the end. Closer and closer she got, Katherine was at the end of the vortex, hovering in the air as though chained to a wall. Her eyes were cold, her face full of tears, her heartbeat echoing no longer; in front of her was the vision of her body moving on its own accord.

With one final dash, Hailey reached Katherine and landed in front of her, but the blonde did not recognise her at all; her heart full of regret for hope to fit in. Breathing hard, Hailey tried to get up from the pain her body seemed to have taken; her legs quivered as she tried to get up, forcing herself to walk towards Katherine despite the stinging pain inside her thighs.

"Wolfie," Hailey called out to her, but Katherine did not look at her, "Wolfie, do you hear me?"

Cupping her cheek, Hailey's eyes widened at her ghoulish look; it was as if her soul was no longer in there as her eye sockets had gone dull – nearly as black as the abyss that surrounded her. Holding her by the waist, Hailey tried to pull her away from her invisible chains but she would not budge; a power far too powerful had bound her there.

But why?

"Taking her away would be futile."

"Who's there?" Hailey quickly questioned the abyss and from behind her a woman with long flowing hair emerged from the darkness; she wore a gentleman's suit with a walking cane on one hand as she approached. "What have you done to, Kathie?"

"How rude," the woman spoke as she raised a brow, "What makes you think it was I that bound her there?"

"Don't play innocent with me," Hailey furrowed her brows with discontent as the woman merely smiled at her innocently, "I know its you."

"What makes you so sure, fae?" the woman questioned as she got closer to them, "Would you not believe that it was your friend's fault that she was there in the first place?"

"How could she possibly do this?" Hailey questioned back as she watched the walked between two bubbles before her, "To herself even?"

"How amusing the both of you are," she laughed as she stood in front of Hailey and examined her carefully, reaching out to touch her, but her hand was began to sizzle which made her retract her hand, "And quite peculiar, I might say."

"Let her go," Hailey hissed at her, "Now!"

"I'm afraid I cannot," the woman shook her head as she turned around and looked up at the bubbles that still played Katherine's life before her, "Only her heart can decide her own fate."

Her heart?

"You see dear fae," the woman spoke as Hailey had her eyes widened and locked at the bubbles before her; she could not believe the strength Katherine possessed to be able to push back Ford's skilled men that does not seem to be letting up on their assault. "Your friend and I had played a game."

"A game where she had lost the first time round," she looked over her shoulder, at Hailey, who seemed to be in disbelief by both her words and what was happening outside; she could sense her unacceptance of the fact she had just thrown at her. "And you of all people know what happens when you lose, am I correct?"

"She didn't," Hailey denied as her eyes could not tear itself away from the bubbles, "She wouldn't!"

"Ah, but she did," the woman chuckled as she turned around and walked over to Katherine to pat her cheek, where Hailey was quick to slap her hand away; it only amused the woman further, earning Hailey an evil smirk – one she was sure not to forget. "Her life would soon be forfeit."

Realising the truth of her words, Hailey turned to Katherine and cupped her cheeks, stared into her eyes and tried to shake her awake; her eyes were lowered to the ground without a speck of light in them – hope fully drained out of her. Hailey knew not how to wake her from the spiral she has entered, afraid that she would surely lose Katherine.

For good, this time.

"Wolfie," Hailey spoke to her softly as she tried to prevent her voice from shaking, "It's me," she smiled, "Come back to me, wolfie," she continued, "You're stronger than this, wolfie," she rubbed her cold cheek with her thumb, "You can fight this darkness – this guilt – inside of you."

"Your efforts are futile," the woman spoke as she turned her back at them and resumed watching Katherine outside, at the bubble. A smile crept on her lips as fire burned in her eyes, victory almost about to knock at the door.

"Wolfie, I know you're there," Hailey pulled her face to meet her, "So please," as a tear escaped her eye, "Come back to me."

The visions began to louden as the woman stood with her chin held high, aware that victory was in her hand. She watched as Katherine's beastial form began to fulfil their wager; on both hands she hand Oriana and Hailey, whilst she stood atop the mountain behind the institution with the moon greeting her sacrifice.

Katherine's body laid the two maidens on the floor as the moonlight lit their body silver; the beast stood and as though thinking, took a pause before it set its sights aside from Oriana. The bubbles merged and Hailey's body was the only one in front; the woman had a wide smile on her face as evil dawn her eyes, gladdened by the outcome of this wager.

The werewolf retracted her claw as she began to strike the unconscious Hailey; with a loud roar she darted her claws towards Hailey. Adrenaline pumped within the woman as she clenched her fist in victory, waiting for it all to happen; her eyes wide and proud that soon she would be able to witness a rebirth – a resurrection of herself.

Before Katherine's claws could even graze a part of Hailey, it stopped; for no reason it stopped just above her heart. The woman fell a step back as her mouth dropped open as much as her eyes shook in disbelief unsure what had happened; she turned around to find the cause of her failure, making her grind her teeth hard at the two meddlesome teens.

Lips in an embrace. Arms in a tight hug. Their bodies closer than ever before. The vortex above dissipated as the oblivion around grew brighter; the cosmos surged into a pillar of light as the bubble disappeared, whilst the woman stood there with listless, yet content eyes.

"I love you, Katherine."

~

~

A/N: Sorry for the long update. College has been pretty busy, especially when your teacher is VERY nice. ~_~ well hope you enjoy this (: Vote, Comment, and Follow. (:

Dedicated to viciousney for their support on SoB (: Yes the dedication continues ^^ and I really appreciate you guys for voting (: Thanks a lot (:

~

~

©bookie032 2015-2016

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

297K 7.9K 42
She's troublesome. He lives for trouble. Both embedded with their own secrets and lies. A girl who's self-destruction leads her to a camp for delinqu...
148 5 21
Katherine has always had a dark past, fears she can't get through, demons she can't slay, desires just in front of her but too far to reach, she may...
Her Redemption De harls

Polițiste / Thriller

7.9K 408 34
Katherine is a cunning girl who uses her charm and wit to manipulate those around her, all in pursuit of power. No one is safe from her manipulations...
Come and Get Me ✔️ De Amber

Polițiste / Thriller

72.8K 2.5K 57
"Do you normally make-out with the people you're hired to kill? It doesn't strike me as very professional." "Put the gun down," Gabriel panted, not...