This Love

By jowanderstruck

Life has always been about survival for Madi Daniel, a young independent woman whose life was about to change... More

This Love
Chapter One- Suit Guys and Shiny Cars
Chapter Two- Busy Offices and Sexy Backs
Chapter Three- New Uniforms and New Jobs
Chapter Four- Work Lates, Past Talks and Manic Mondays
Chapter Five- Short Dresses and Drunk Perverts
Chapter Six- Car Sleeps and Unexpected Visits
Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings
Chapter Eight- Boy Bands and Lunches
Chapter Nine- Fancy Hotels and Dinner Dates
Chapter Ten- Young Millionaires and Firework Displays
Chapter Eleven- Annoying Jerks and Hot Ramens
Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones
Chapter Thirteen- Broken Glasses and Meatball Spaghettis
Chapter Fourteen- Korean Noodles and Hotdogs
Chapter Fifteen- Sharings and Messages
Chapter Sixteen- Hobbies and Sisters
Chapter Seventeen- Likes and Apologies
Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts
Chapter Nineteen- Deliveries and Pedestrian Lanes
Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'
Chapter Twenty-One- Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Two- New Relationships and Meet-Up Plans
Chapter Twenty-Three- Changed Routines and Bowling Alleys
Chapter Twenty-Four- Cozy Bars and Singing Angels
Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans
Chapter Twenty-Six- Resolved Issues and Hunted Pasts
Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Love You's and Amateur Singers
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Midnight Lovers and Shy Fangirls
Chapter Thirty- Grand Birthdays and Surprise Engagements
Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers
Chapter Thirty-Two- Broken Hearts and New Addresses
Chapter Thirty-Three- Awkward Friends and Gold Packages
Chapter Thirty-Four- Peaceful Cages and Hot Professors
Chapter Thirty-Five- Hair Attachments and Posh Schools
Chapter Thirty-Six- Mellow Tunes and Heartbroken Drunks
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Smooth Moves and Lost Phones
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Drinking Buddies and Coffee Dates
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes
Chapter Forty- Ruined Dates and Childhood Homes
Chapter Forty-One- Parent Meetings and Walkouts
Chapter Forty-Two- Odd Fairytales and Sincere Apologies
Chapter Forty -Three- Ex-Fiancees and Empty Bedrooms
Chapter Forty-Four- Fashion Shows and Secretive Best Friends
Chapter Forty-Five- Fun Runways and Terrible Cooks
Chapter Forty-Six- Father Issues and Father Sides
Chapter Forty-Seven- Boyfriends
Chapter Forty-Eight- Nightouts, Business Meetings and Surprise Dinners
Chapter Forty- Nine- Memory Lanes and Yelling Ogres
Chapter Fifty- Graduations
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Seven- Farewell Kisses and Guy Best Friends

9.1K 416 20
By jowanderstruck

Chapter Twenty-Seven- Farewell Kisses and Guy Best Friends

"Hello?" I sleepily answered my ringing phone. My deep slumber was disrupted by the repetitive tone filling the room. If Kyla was here, she would've have thrown a pillow on my face for having a call at 5 AM on a Sunday.

"Hey." Michael's voice made my eyes open wide as my spirit awakens.

"Hi."

"I'm sorry if I woke you." I wasn't sure if it was me or there was a hint of sadness in his voice.

"It's fine. My alarm was about to go off anyway." I explained while climbing down the bed. "Did something happen? You sound weird."

"I wanna see you."

"I can drop by later if you want." I suggested.

"I'm here now."

Here? Here where? I padded out to the living room and opened the windows. Michael was right in front of the gate looking up at me with a tight-lip smile. His eyes were missing the usual spark in them. That moment, I knew something was troubling him.

I rushed outside to open the gate for him. "What's wrong?"

"Remember the Lumiere expansion?"

"Tokyo, right? What about it?"

"There were some problems that need my immediate attention."

"Oh. When are you going?" My tone mirrored his.

"Now."

"Now? You mean now as in right now?" He simply nodded. "How long w..." I couldn't even make myself finish. I was feeling exactly how he was feeling.

"Two weeks."

"You came to say goodbye."

"I never liked the word goodbye. When I hear it, I think of endings. Anyway, I came to say I'll miss you. To say I'll call you every day. And to do this..."

I expected a tight hug or a forehead kiss when he stepped closer to me. What I didn't expect was the warmth and sweetness I felt as his lips captured mine. In a second, my mind went blank and I was lost. The only thing I was aware of was the sensation I've been longing for.

Finally! He was kissing me for real.

The kiss started slow and tender with his hands cupping my cheeks. I moaned in his mouth as he sweetly deepened the kiss. He needed to wrap his hand on back for support. My knees felt weak, shiver ran through my spine and there was tingling on every part of my being.

No fancy dinners. No rooftops. No fireworks. Just the two of us. Everything was perfect. Until I realized...

I pushed him away from me. He was taken aback by my sudden reaction. "What's wrong?"

"I haven't brushed my teeth." I answered reddening in embarrassment.

He chuckled saying, "Angel, do I look like I care?" He didn't even let me respond and locked his lips with mine again. This time, that perfect feeling with him heightened. "You. Taste. So. Good." he said in between kisses. I stood on tiptoe wrapping my arms around his neck, playfully tangling my fingers with his hair.

In need of air, we both pulled away panting. He gently pressed his forehead on mine and sweetly rubbed his nose on mine. I couldn't help but smile. We both did.

"God, I miss you already." he said.

I lunged myself into him for an embrace. "I'll miss you too." I whispered. If only I could stop him from leaving, I would. It was his business he's dealing with. I can't be some shallow clingy girlfriend who's going to let him do whatever I want. Maybe a little distance was what we need.

What I need.

Here we go with the issues. Noemi has asked to meet me again sometime and I promised to give her a call when I'm free. I haven't done it because Michael was consuming all my free time. There was so much to think about. Noemi, work, the upcoming semester. I'm not sure I could handle it all at the same time.

He was about to say something but we were both startled. His phone was vibrating inside his suit pocket. "You should go."

"Promise to answer when I call. Or at least send a message."

"Promise. I'll see you in two weeks."

"Yes, you will."

With that and one sweet kiss, I watched his SUV drove out of sight. I received a sweet text from him a few seconds later. Then when my phone screen went black I saw how awful I looked. It made me smile that Michael didn't care about it. God, I lov-.

*****

Since almost every person I know in Manila has gone to their hometowns, I only had Rico to hang out with. He was a welcomed distraction from thinking about Michael being out of the country. It has only been four days but it felt like four years.

He stayed true to his promise to call me. At exactly 9 PM on my time, my phone would ring with his gorgeous face flashing on the screen. We'd talk about our day and how much we miss each other. Thank god for FaceTime.

Rico and I met almost every day for coffee. He was asking me for song ideas. Apparently, he was starting to write songs for the band. He even shared a top secret that an agent had asked them for an appointment with a recording company. It was big news since I know how SoM started. It was such a huge milestone for them to have a company interested in working with them.

We met at The Luncheon today for lunch. As we ate our lasagna, I was helping him with some of his lyrics. I never thought Rico could write songs. He was quite serious about the feelings in the song like he was writing from his or someone's experience. Although his first song was about falling for someone who was in love with someone else. Quite sad in opinion.

I wish you knew

I wish I could tell you

But all I could do

Was wish for you

I was focused reading the first part of his chorus when I realized he was saying something. "Huh?"

"I said, sing with me next week." he repeated.

"Why?"

"The band was supposed to sing for Deandra but the guys won't be back until Friday next week. I still have to do it but I don't wanna do it alone."

"I-."

"Please."

"Okay."

"Really? Wow. Okay. I didn't expect you to say yes immediately. These are the songs I had in mind. Tell me if you want to sing something. We'll do it." He handed me the set list and some song lyrics.

Rico was obviously excited with it making me feel the same way. I have missed singing more than I thought I did. I scanned the songs and the first thing I noticed was that it was mostly duets. Some happy songs and a few mellow ones. I can't help but think he has been planning about asking for some time. He didn't expect to agree but was prepared.

I was glad he was around. I enjoyed our songwriting sessions. He has been sweet, funny and thoughtful. He was like my guy best friend.

Thursday, we had another song-writing session at The Luncheon. Friday, we went to see a romantic comedy. All I could think about that day was Michael and I never saw a movie together. I made a note to self to ask him to go one time.

By Saturday, Rico invited me to dinner with his family. It was his dad's birthday and they planned a small dinner in their garden. I actually had a great time. I've spent a couple of Christmases with the family and I've missed their warmth and humor. Rico was the youngest of five children. All his brothers and sisters were married with kids. If I remember correctly, his age gap with the fourth was twelve years. Mr. and Mrs. De Vera didn't expect him to come along but he did. Imagine how spoiled he could be but he wasn't. I can say they raised him well.

There were a lot of photos that night because one his nieces, Julie was a thirteen-year old aspiring photographer. She posted all the photos online. Including one that Rico and I were in plus a little baby Sasha in my arms. So yeah, a man, a woman and a baby with a beautiful home in the background. It looked like one hell of a family picture. I liked the photo when Julie showed it to me. I didn't think it would be such a big deal. But then, there was one person who called right up as soon as I was tagged in the photo.

"Nice photo." was his sarcastic greeting. I was already home when he called. Thank god.

"Good evening to you too, Michael."

"Now I know why you missed my 9PM call."

"I had fun in case you're wondering."

Silence.

More silence.

"I'm sorry I missed your call. I lost track of time."

"Because you're with him." he hissed.

"It was his dad's birthday, Michael. It was just dinner."

"You've known his family?"

Why do I feel like I was making the situation worse? "Of course, I do. His mom is professor. I've spent a couple of Christmases with them."

"Why?"

What does he expect me to say? "Oh I don't know because some holidays Kyla had overseas plans with her family so I couldn't come to her home and I didn't want to be alone on Christmas. I really don't know Michael. Why do you think?" I snapped.

"I'm sorry. It wasn't m-."

"It's fine. I'm sorry too. I could untag myself from the photo if it really bothers you. It's just a picture. You don't need to be jealous."

"But I am."

"I miss you."

"I love you."

Please don't hate me. I just saw it's almost a month since I updated. I'm so sorry but you know life happens. Thank you for the patience. I hope you like this chapter. I have no idea when I could update. Please continue to be patient and supportive.

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE. I really appreciate every feedback. Plus, I think I need more motivation to write. The 9K reads was a good start. Thanks y'all! :D

PS: Dedicated to beeyotch. She's my new favorite WP Author. I've been reading her book Just The Benefits. It's Tagalog-English so my Filipino readers (hopefully I have some) could check it out. It's really a good read. Okay, more like AWESOME! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 44.1K 29
When the "Sexiest Man Alive" reneges on his book contract, no-nonsense editor Erin Andersen is sent to rein him in. But after meeting Stephen Spence...
2.7K 285 68
Just s short little story about young love, self discovery, and finding happiness even when things don't go the way we hoped they would.
10.8K 2.5K 39
She thought no one would love a broken girl, he thought there were more pieces to love. ~Daniel Jonathan Parker A Broken Girl with a Dark past, A Hot...
14.4K 897 31
After a fiery one night stand, Jason and Amy are surprised to see each other at work the following morning. He's the new CEO of Coopers and Co. She's...