My Monster Mate (Book I)

By Mbalii

Book One in the My Mate Series - "Elijah," Alexander calls in this terrifying voice. I know it's dangerous bu... More

Part I
One: The Attack
Three: The Club
Four: The Almost Rejection
Five: The Brother
Six: The Creatures
Seven: The Encounter
Eight: The Coward
Nine: The Sparks
Ten: The Reason
Eleven: The Russo Brothers
Twelve: The Semi Rescue
Thirteen: The Twin
Fourteen: The Blackout
Fifteen: The Brother
Sixteen: The Discovery
Seventeen: The Rash Decision
Eighteen: The Great Escape
Nineteen: The Mother
Twenty: The Emotions
Twenty-One: The Switch
Twenty-Two: The Ex
Twenty-Three: The Return
Twenty-Four: The Secrets Out
Twenty-Five: The Episode
Twenty-Six: The Shot
Twenty-Seven: The Bullet
Part II
Twenty-Eight: The Wait
Twenty-Nine: The Morning Swaps
Thirty: The Regret
Thirty-One: The Revival
Thirty-Two: The Move
Thirty-Three: The Hex
Thirty-Four: The Dark Magic
Thirty-Five: The Dark Side
Thirty-Six: The Temporarily Wolf-Less Elijah
Thirty-Seven: The Third In Command
Thirty-Eight: The Friend
Thirty-Nine: The Rogue Mission
Forty: The Dream
Forty-One: The Defiance
Forty-Two: The Battle
Forty-Three: The Accident
Part III
Forty-Four: The Flight Home
Forty-Five: The Betrayal
Forty-Six: The Outrage
Forty-Seven: The Confession
Forty-Eight: The Truth
Forty-Nine: The Ceremony
Fifty: The End
Thank You || Q&A
Bonus: Halloween
Bonus: Alexander's Pov
New: Her Calling. Book II: My Hybrid Mate

Two: The Joke

125K 3K 750
By Mbalii

Elisha ↑

---

The Joke

"Elisha!" I whined, resisting the urge to frail my hands around whilst pouting and moving my legs exaggeratingly up and down like a child.

She huffed, "Eli, c'mon," clearly tired of my insistent whining.

"Nicholas, help me!" I cried out to my best friend who simply shook his head, not even lifting it from the focus on his cell phone screen.

I turned to my boyfriend and pouted, "Zeke?"

He simply raised a shoulder, "Sorry babe."

"Fine. I hate you all, just thought you needed to know."

I was being forced to go to some club. I detest clubs with all of my being and here I was being forced by the wolves closest to me to ring in my birthday there. It's our birthday next week Saturday and my sister thinks the best way to celebrate it is by going to a club.

We'll be turning nineteen, so we can finally find our mate. I'm excited because I know it's Zeke. I mean, I can't possibly love someone who isn't my mate. Plus, Zeke is nineteen and he feels it too. We have to be. I'd be devastated if we weren't, and you know, I'd never hear the end of it from my father. So that would be a bummer.

I continued to sulk, "I really don't want to go."

"Not my problem, last year we spent our birthday in freaking Ratanga Junction Amusement Park." Elisha scowled as I smiled at the memories.

Every year we switch who gets to choose how we spend the day. It's one of the last remaining twin things we insist on keeping intact before we're just too old to – basically, have our own families. Which could result in this year being the last year we do this and I'm being forced to go to a club? Moon goddess help me.

"I endured Ratanga Junction, you can endure the club." She threw me a fake sweet smile.

I wanted to right hook it away, "It's not that bad, babe." Zeke pecks me, "I bet you'll end up having fun."

"You'll never leave my side, right?" I look up at him.

He shakes his head, "Never," lightly brushing my cheek. I smile and pull him down for a kiss.

"Oh, the PDA. My poor virgin eyes." Elisha mutters.

Elisha hasn't 'found' her mate and she isn't willing to date someone because, unlike me, she doesn't think she'll find him before her Mate Year. So, she just rejects every boy that approaches her. Drop dead gorgeous or not, sweet as pie or not you can bet they're getting kicked to the curb.

Nicholas hasn't found his mate either, which is okay seeing as he only turned nineteen last month. So he's bound to find her soon.

I have a strong inkling of a feeling that Elisha's his mate. I know he probably feels the pull towards her because he never leaves her side unless he has to and that's a little odd seeing as he's my best friend, not hers.

Not to sound possessive or anything, Elisha has many friends but no best friend. She doesn't trust easily so I am her best friend. Even though Elisha is more bubbly and outgoing like our father she doesn't necessarily like to give any kinds of pieces or chunks of herself to others. She's likeable and friendly but she worries wolves could take that for granted and screw her over.

On the other hand, I'm more like my mother, sassy but friendly. A full-blown no-nonsense taker and it doesn't work in my best interest with my being a warrior. I tended to get into many fights with people who disrespected me in school. I've grown since though and I tend to turn the other cheek now, much to my father's happiness.

"Don't expect me to dance." I scoff, "Because I don't dance." Nicholas says in sync with me, I glare at him and he simply chuckles.

Sometimes when we're out in public people tend to think he and I are a couple that is until I kiss Zeke. Sometimes I can tell that it bothers Zeke which is not absurd but also highly disgusting so Nicholas and I always have a big laugh about that. I mean Nicholas is like a brother to me, I could never imagine even kissing him so I do not entertain those kinds of conversations.

"You will dance." Elisha says.

I scoff crossing my arms in defiance, "I'm not dancing."

"O, who's dancing?" Our mother asked as she entered the room with a plate filled with sandwiches which she places on the table.

"Nobody." I answer just as Elisha answers, "Elijah."

"You should be happy about your talent." Our mother states as she exists both the conversation and room.

I mumble under my breath, "Elisha just likes it when I twerk."

"Actually, Ezekiel likes when you twerk." She wiggles her brows and throws a not-so-subtle wink at my boyfriend.

Feigning shock, I turn to him and give him a questioning look, "What?"

"That's not true." He aggressively shakes his head, a guilty look plastered all over his gorgeously chocolate face.

My boyfriend is a tall, dark glass of chocolate milk. He's lean and fit with strong broad shoulders and evenly large arms. Athlete legs and abs to melt for, his chin perfectly sculpted and his hair cut just right.

"Oh. So you don't like it when I twerk?" I continue on with the hoax.

His brows raise as his eyes widen, "No, no. I do." He looks panicked I suppress my laughter.

"You perv!" I hit his chest, letting out what I wish is an offended huff. Turning my body so my back is to him.

I feel him lightly shove me, "You're clearly messing with me."

I finally let out my poorly stifled laugh, "I definitely am. I wouldn't care either way, baby." I lightly peck him.

I hear a groan I know belongs to my sister, "Please, my bloody virgin eyes!" Elisha yells.

I wave her off, "Oh, shut up."

"Would you like to see me kissing Nicholas?" She countered but I just let out a chuckle, "I don't think I'd like it but I don't think he'd mind." I obnoxiously wink in his direction.

"Does anyone have a theory as to why Alexander Russo stopped the attack?" Nicholas rushes out in a successful aid to change the topic of conversation.

Elisha looks at me, sadly because of her werewolf hearing she heard Alexander and I's entire conversation. I haven't told her, or anyone for that matter, about his stalking or visit the previous night. I wouldn't know how to explain it. 'Oh yeah, the guy who tried to destroy out pack occasionally crosses our boards undetected just to watch me.' Yeah, I think not. Silence is my best friend at the current moment.

"No. It is weird that he suddenly stopped his pack though. He never stops an attack until the last wolf on that battlefield drops or the Alpha of that pack surrenders." Zeke states.

Nicholas raised a brow, "Elijah?" He glances at me questionably.

I hold his stare, "What?"

I was not about to spew my guts out to them, I could hardly – big lie – make out what even happened that day, let alone why. Why would I go ahead and tell them?

"You seem to know." He furthers.

Elisha snickers, "Yeah, Eli."

"And what gives you that impression dear best friend?" I lay my head on my palm, giving him a half annoyed look.

Why is he asking me that, I haven't said or done a single thing. I'm trying to get through this conversation undetected dammit.

"You're awfully silent and Elisha seems to be giving you a knowing look." Once he completes the sentence, Zeke begins giving me the same look although his is more curiosity than actual knowledge.

I sigh muttering out a whispered, "I don't know."

"Lies!" Elisha stands, "Alexander Russo followed us into the woods and she thought she was rough and tough so she went to speak with him. Can you believe it? Then he was asking her if this was her pack and she agreed, then he called it off. Just because she was born and raised here, he called it off!"

I buried my face in Zeke's neck. I was on his lap, so I could actually reach his neck. I can't believe she just disclosed that. Why would she do that? To hell with twin code, huh.

"Is this true?" He questions.

I huff, "Yes," rolling my eyes although no one can see.

Zeke asks, "Is he your mate?" I immediately sit up straight and look him in the eyes, "What?"

"Is. He. Your. Mate?" He says it slowly.

I stare at him as though he has suddenly grown a third head, "Ezekiel, how would I know? I'm eighteen! I can't tell yet!"

He covered his eyes with his hand, "I forgot."

"That doesn't really mean anything though because he would know. He's way over eighteen." All knowing, backstabbing, twin code disobeying Elisha says.

"Elisha!" I yell, completely not impressed with her.

Is she trying to ruin my relationship?

"I'm sorry, but why else would he care? Why would he not kill you, ask about your ties with the pack and say he'll see you later?" She counts on her fingers.

Oh my goddess, she clearly is.

"He said he'll see you later?" Ezekiel removes his hand, his face rock solid. He was fuming, his jaw locked in place.

"Bloody hell, Elisha!" I scream this time. I mean really, is she trying to break us up? Once I give her a death glare she finally understands what she's done wrong.

'I'm sorry. I didn't realise.' She mind links.

Zeke snaps me out of the link and back to reality, "Well?" He says expectantly.

"He did." I confess, not wanting to do a run-around with useless lies.

His face is void of any and all emotion, "He is your mate." He sounds defeated, my heart shatters hearing him sound so broken.

"You don't know that!" I say desperately.

Nicholas adds, "Alexander Russo would know that."

"Why thank you Sherlock, the thought never crossed my mind." I say with a bit more attitude than necessary.

Alexander is twenty-five. He would most definitely know if I was his mate. Which added on to all Elisha stupidly said, would explain why he's been stalking me. The thought has crossed my mind more times than I'd like to admit. I can tune out my wolf all I want but I can still feel it, I can feel that tiny piece of something that she feels about Alexander.

'Sherlock' continues, "Since you're so close to turning nineteen, your wolf would know too."

"Hey," I give them each a tight-lipped smile, "How about we leave this conversation for next weekend, huh?" I say getting off Zeke's lap.

"Where are you going?" Elisha asks but I don't answer.

'Eli, c'mon.' She links but I block her out.

I can only hope my parents weren't in here to hear this. Every room is soundproof but the lounge has no door, so obviously the sound leaves the room. If people were to find out I might be his mate, they would try to test the theory because like we established, Alexander most definitely knows if I am or am not his mate.

And by 'test the theory,' I mean kidnap or kill me. Alexander has done both to other people's mates, it always ends in him doing the latter. So, I would fall to that treacherous fate. I don't even want to think about what my parents would do. They're so close with the Alpha and Luna, my parents would probably notify them. Loyalties to the Alpha and Luna sadly come first in this Pack. That law doesn't seem so bad until you're possibly mated to Alexander Russo.

* * *

"Elijah, please speak to me. I'm sorry." Elisha pleads once again.

It has only been a few hours since she nearly broke up my relationship. I've just been sat in my room since, not wanting to get out for fear of bumping into Zeke or having to see her again. I'm genuinely upset with her, I don't understand why should bring all that up or you know if it were playing on her mind, why not come to me? She really didn't have to do it in front of my boyfriend.

I don't look at her, "What were you thinking, Elisha? Were you trying to break us up?"

"No, of course not. I truly was just pointing out facts. You know how that's almost like a hobby. I'm truly sorry." She rushes out, fingers fiddling with her sweater.

"He's mad, Elisha." The tears win, they start rolling down.

I've been trying to keep them at bay but thinking of how upset he is genuinely breaks my heart. Zeke and I argue as much as the next couple but this time it almost seems like a the-end-of-the-road argument. And that shatters my heart.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it, Elijah."

Not having the willpower to continue a conversation with her I say, "Please leave."

She tries to reach out for me, "What? Eli –"

She stops at the sound of my voice, "Please."

"I'm sorry." She whispers before she leaves.

I lay my head on my headboard, shutting my eyes for a moment as I accept that the tears won't stop. I sit quietly as they roll down until they don't anymore. I get up and head to my bathroom, washing my face to rid it of the days sweat and the slight bit of puffiness.

When I return to my bedroom, I hear my sliding door open. Why the bloody hell is that thing unlocked? I scold myself. Normally I'd be ready to pounce on the poor sucker who tried to break into the Packs best warriors' daughters' room but I smelt him.

"I really don't need you in here right now." I mutter, slipping into bed.

"Who is he?" He sounds agitated.

Well great, now I really know I'm not in the mood for him tonight. Goddess only knows what already pissed him off now he's here to piss me off.

I look at his shadowy figure, still stood by the doorway, "Who?"

"The guy your sister messed things up with."

"My mate." I lied. I know I shouldn't have, it's stupid, but I just wanted to see his response, maybe it would tell me more about his intrigue with me.

He growled, really freaking loudly, and started shaking. His wolf clearly not appreciating the little lie I just told.

His eyes held a storm behind them, "You're lying." He spat.

"Why would I?" I try to act as nonchalant as possible.

I took it too far because his wolf completely took over as he growled again but this time shifted. Now, this might be a great time to remind you that Alexander has no control over his wolf once in wolf form. I definitely pissed off the wrong beast,, I chose the wrong day to test out how far I could piss off an already pissed off Alpha.

"Why did I do that?" I stood up on my bed, slowly backing away. Trying not to make any sudden movements.

'Let me out.' My wolf told me.

'No! You're unstable.' She would probably jump Alexander's wolfs bones.

'I can help, Elijah.'

His wolf wasn't doing anything, just staring at me. The look was deadly, really really deadly. Maybe Alexander's fighting with his wolf. He is an Alpha maybe he could do great things. Great things like not getting me killed in my room for a dumb lie.

"I'm sorry. He's not my mate, I wouldn't know yet I'm still eighteen. He's just my boyfriend." I manage to say.

His wolf approaches me but obviously, he hears the footsteps bounding up the stairs and thinks differently of it, jumping out the sliding door, over the balcony and out of sight. I let out an audible sigh of relief as I slide down my headboard, taking a seat.

I'm staring at my sheets when my father, mother and Elisha come in, "What was that?" My mother asks as my father closes my sliding door.

"Not what, who." Elisha says, sniffing the air.

My mother sits on the edge of my bed, placing a comforting hand on my knee, "Elijah?"

"I'm okay." I say getting under the covers.

My father not sounding as sweet as my mother demands, "Who was that?"

"That's not important." I shrug.

His eyes narrow, "I didn't ask how important it was!" He yells.

"Dad, please. It's okay, I'm okay." I say sternly.

"You are still –"

Not wanting anymore I lie, "It was Nicholas. We had an argument!" I pray they don't question it because obviously they can smell the scent isn't ours.

"Was that so hard?" My mother rolled her eyes. She bought it.

I murmured a response.

'Why are you lying?' Elisha linked.

'Because it was Alexander. I made him mad.'

'Why would you do that?'

'It was a mistake! I was joking, but obviously he thought differently about Ezekiel being my mate.'

'Why would you '

"Who are you mind linking?" My father yelled.

"Nicholas." I lied, again.

Honestly, you would think I had learnt my lesson and have told enough for the night but I just seem to be spilling them out like they're nothing.

'Nicholas, I'm sorry but if my parents ask you if we had an argument tonight just lie. Please.'

'Alexander Russo?' He links back.

'Yes.'

"Can I go to sleep now?" I let out an honest yawn, I really would like to sleep. I would've been if Alexander hadn't come with all his stupid questions.

"Yes, Elijah." My mother tucks me in, can you believe it.

They leave but unfortunately, I do anything but sleep. Why would he get so angry? I mean, you only shift out of anger if something really makes you livid. A shudder creeps down my spine when the thought seems plausible.

Is Alexander Russo, the mass murderer, my mate?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

400K 9.9K 17
I smelt something calming, like the smell of rain and vanilla and suddenly, a guy came in charging at Gabriel. Gabriel didn't have any time to react...
425K 13.5K 43
previously titled 'mine' He let out what sounded like a growl of pleasure before he continued to rub his fur against me. Warm tears fell down my chee...
447K 14.6K 28
11:59 pm "5" "4" "3" They chanted counting down to the moment Ares will meet his mate. "2" "1" Sparks erupted in my heart making me gasp and fall ont...
1.8K 342 22
"Apres chaque conte de fée, il y a une fin indésitive, un destin a parcourir. Au delá des flames, des Océans déchaines, j'ai sombré dans le noir. A c...