In Between (A One Direction f...

By wehadtowalkaway

A simple 18 year old Jane living her life behind the curtains and behind the public, met two boys, both membe... More

In Between (A One Direction fan fiction)
In Between I : Austeen
In Between II : Streets
In Between III : Spin the bottle
In Between IV : Hotel
In Between V : Cold
In Between VI : Bar
In Between VII : Sofa
In Between VIII : Difference between you and me
In Between IX : Girlfriends
In Between X : Mysterious
In Between XI : Breakfast
In Between XII : The phone and the jacket
In Between XIII : Sticky note
In Between XIV : Recording studio
In Between XV : I'm desperate
In Between XVI : I won't
In Between XVII : Austeen-Jacobs
In Between XVIII : Promise
In Between XIX : Tears
In Between XX : 9th day
In Between XXI : Happiest day
In Between XXII : Intertwined hands
In Between XXIII : Interview
In Between XXIV : Bestfriend
In Between XXV : Ticket
In Between XXVI : Irresistible
In Between XXVII : All according to plan
In Between XXVIII : Jane's Birthday
In Between XXIX : Choose
In Between XXX : Only one I have
In Between XXXII : As long as I can
In Between XXXIII : Unknown
In Between XXXIV : Thinking of the worst
In Between XXXV : You just can't, not this time
In Between XXXVI : More than this
In Between XXXVII : We all know who loved you first
In Between XXXVIII : Do I love him?
In Between XXXIX : Everything's blurred
In Between XXXX : Setting you free
In Between XXXXI : Niall Horan
In Between XXXXII : Dear Niall
In Between XXXXIII : End
Will there be Book 2?
OVERVIEW : Is your Heart Taken?
Is your heart taken?

In Between XXXI : Jacobs' Mansion

2K 74 8
By wehadtowalkaway

"I won't be coming with you. I hope everything turns out great." Jed said the day we have finished recording two albums.

"I hope this will help." I said holding the two CDs. I grabbed my bag and exhale louder, "this will really change my life." I said turning my back to Jed.

I walked out of the studio and passed by the wall Niall used to lean on, it makes me sad to think of the words I told him last time. I guess he deserved an apology from me, I should have said sorry earlier before this day, so he can come with me and take away these butterflies on my tummy.

I drove passed different cities, the stereo on my car just kept repeating two to three songs. I stopped by a cafe and started having lunch in my car, I opened my bag to find the 2 CDs I have recorded for the past two weeks. I put it on and listened to it. It was nothing more like the usual except that it has different tone and lyrics, but the emotion remains, nothing.

I listened to both of the CDs while driving. And then I stopped by a huge gate. I turned off the engine and got off the car leaving everything behind.

Through the very big gate, I can see a wide garden, it's so green that it is pleasant to the eyes with dotted roses from this distance.

I checked the piece of paper on the back pocket of my jeans. Yes, this is the place, I'm sure that I'm not mistaken.

This is the Jacobs' mansion.

It is 2 times larger than of Austeen's. The whole area was green, grasses, fountains, roses and trees are everywhere. A huge number of maids watered the place, and there, a huge white glass house rests in the middle. The place is so amazing that if you bring a child here, he would instantly believe in fairy tale.

I breathe deep before approaching the gate. A maid glanced at my direction but didn't came near me, the same with the others. I looked at myself, maybe I don't look like a celebrity or aristocratic person that usually enters this place.

"Who are you?" I almost jump to find a woman leaning on my direction on the other side of the gate. I heard some giggles from the maids.

I headed to the front of the woman, and just stared at her, I handed her the piece of paper, "Is the address right?" I asked even though I'm a hundred percent sure that this is really the place.

She nodded and there, an old woman appear on her back asking me the same question, "Who are you?" She asked, though her face shows that my face is familiar.

I gulped a few confidence and cleared my throat before answering, "I'm Jane." There's a pause, "Jane Austeen"

Some maids from the back turned to my direction with wide eyes, showing that it is a mistake for an Austeen to come here. The woman in front of me, I guess the head maid, immediately made a face, "this is the place of Jacobs, and an Austeen like you has the courage to come even an inch closer to this pl--" she was cut off by the old woman on her back.

"Jane..Austeen, you said?" She said surprise covering her face. She brushed the woman away and reached to open the big gate.

"What are you doing!!" The head maid tried to stop her but she couldn't, the gate is already open. I can hear murmuring maids on the back.

The old woman reached for me and rests both of her hands on my cheeks, examining my face.

"Is that really you, Jane?" She asked, and I know that she knows about me more than anyone in this place.

I nodded. There's this expression on her face that made tears roll on my cheeks. It is as if she's been waiting long and now that I have arrived, she won't let me go. There's loneliness and longingness on her eyes.

In my surprise, she hugged me, hug me so tight. The head maid covers her face with curiosity and so does the other maid on the back. They must be thinking that I am the first Austeen that ever entered this place, with such welcome.

"It's been 19 years Jane.. We've been waiting for years, we've been waiting for this day to come. I'm so happy that you've come back." She released me from her hug and rests both of her hands on my shoulder, "And someone's waiting for you too." She smiled while tears roll on her cheeks.

She put her hands high and clapped three times, "everyone, kindly give a warm welcome to our beloved Jane, the today's generation of Jacobs" She ordered, everyone immediately move out of the way with confusion painted on their faces. They made 2 lines, they each bowed down when we passed them, I bowed down too, which is something I wasn't supposed to do.

A butler opened the door for us, the inside of the house isn't something I have expected. How modern it is outside is the other side inside. The inside seems out of place, it seems that the time have stopped to 90s.

The furniture are antique that I guess have lived 100 or so on years, there are mirrors everywhere with detailed design around it, the outline of the sofas where carved wood with soft cushion on it designed with floral, the tables were the same, almost all looks 90s.

"I'll be right back." The old woman said, leading her hands to the sofa for me to sit, I nodded and she left.

I wasn't really heading to the sofa, I'm heading to the grand piano. Out of all 90s furniture here, the piano seems out of place. It is colored with white and detailed with gold. It is amazing. I let my hands run on the side of the piano, my eyes were close making the moment linger on my mind.

"Do you play piano?" The old woman's voice made me jump and open my eyes.

"Oh, no.. No.." I said.

"Your father used to, 19 years ago he stopped playing it." I can hear the loneliness of her tone. "He's waiting." She said.

I turned to her and gulped, "did he knew I'm here?" I asked.

She shook her head, "I didn't inform him. He's been on that room for almost 19 years, we gave him food there, he slept the whole day there, and he aged there. He never speak nor smile. He never step out of that place ever since you were gone, some maids here have worked for years but haven't seen him even once." She paused.

"Then how did you know he's waiting?" I asked.

She looked at me and smiled, "he's been waiting on that room every single day. I asked him why he's waiting this long, and he answered that you'll come back Honestly, I have lose hope, I never expected such day." Her smile widen, "but he never lose hope, your father never let go of that very small hope, Jane. Why don't you meet him?"

I nodded and headed to the room she told me. Even the door of his room is different from the others, it is a wooden door with carved detail on it. I breathe in and out before knocking.

I knocked two times, no one answered. I knocked another two, but this time I didn't wait for an answer I opened the door to see a huge brown room. My eyes scan the place, the curtains were thick and seems to be sewed by hand with its details, there's a shelf full of books, a huge wooden cabinet on the right side of the bed, a long lounge on the other side, and a grand piano on the corner it is a perfectly replication of the one outside and my eyes stopped on a rocking chair.

The rocking chair seems small in his huge body. The chair is pointed to the window, the same with the man sitting on it looking at the view on the window. He didn't talk and just waited long, maybe he thought I'm one of the maid who is supposed to be bringing him his food. And when he realized that I'm not one, he turned to look at me.

My nightmare flashes back to me. Yes, I'm certain, he's the man creeping on my dream. The man that my reflection called 'dad'. He has the same deep green eyes, his thin lips isn't curled but just straight, he just looked the same as on my dream except that his black hair is now 3/4 of white, he has white mustache and wrinkles on the end of his beautiful eyes. He wore white sleeves that seems to be newly wore and a black trousers. He looks like he got home from work, which is not true.

His gaze locked mine, I don't know what to say. Tears roll down on my face, there's no words to describe this, after 19 years of waiting, I have come back from reality. This place is where I belong, this man in front of me is my family, he's my father. I reached for him and kneel down to hug him. I hug him so tight that I don't want to let go.

"I'm so sorry.. I'm sorry.." I kept repeating myself while crying on his arms.

He pulled away and he examines my face, he caressed each detail of my face while my tears flood on my eyes. And after 19 years, he smiled. The smile of longingness, the smile of being patient after all these years. He wipe my tears with his thumb, his hands on my face.

"Don't cry." He spoke.. He spoke.. He didn't add more as tears roll on his cheeks. He closed his eyes and opened it again. "I love you with all my heart Jane, I never doubted that you'll come back, because I knew you will." He planted a kiss on my forehead, a kiss I'd always expect Mrs. Austeen would give me, but now, my father gave it to me.

I couldn't take it anymore and hugged him again and he hugged me back, patting my head and his hands on my hair. We cry to each other. I can see the old woman, peeking on the door, crying with us.

I hope this won't last, I have come back, to where I really belong.

When we released each other, he held both of my hands and asked me to come with him, he stood up and headed to the grand piano, he sat and patted the remaining seat for me to sit on.

I smiled and sat next to him, his hands were trembling at first, but he continued. He played the piano. I was amazed, after 19 years of not playing, he could still play it.. I looked at him, his face shows sadness while playing the piano.

I closed my eyes to feel the music, the house is so quiet that I know that the sound can reach the other rooms. The music is soft melody with sadness on it. What surprise me is, when he sang. His voice is deep and cold, it gave me goosebumps just by hearing it. His voice is amazing, this must be the real voice of a Jacobs. I continue to close my eyes and feel the moment but my eyes flew open when silence covered the whole room, I looked at him. He's wiping his tears off, and when he turned to me,

"It was a song I wrote for your mother 25 years ago." There's a pause, "She has the same color of hair you have, she has the most wonderful smile, her teeth is perfect, her noseline, her cheeks, her everything. She looks exactly like you. Looking at you makes me remind me of her, it's like I'm still with her at the same time, with you too.

We met when our generation finally met. The generation of Austeen that time was her, and I'm on Jacobs'. She teased me about my deep voice, I teased her about her height. We started fighting each other, teasing each other and frowning at each other everytime we see each other. But that same moment, we realized, as much as we hate each other, we also can't live without each other.

Our story is something you would watch on movies, it's forbidden love. It is the time when competition between our families were so tight that we can't see each other. But we can't last a single day without seeing each other. And yes, we live together without the consent of our family. We lived on a far province for 1 and a half years, what's hard is, we lived secretly, our families and medias are searching for us, we can't look for work because it may lead us to where we were. Lucky for us to survive that long. And that same day, when you were born, that's when Mr. Austeen find us in that small hut. Your mother pleaded, I pleaded too. Even Jed, the kid that owns that hut he lives without his parents pleaded for Mr. Austeen to leave us." There's a pause before he continued.

"But no, everything went fast and all I can remember was when your mother kneel down and pleaded for Mrs. And Mr. Austeen to let you live, Mrs. Austeen would kill an innocent child like you, just to cover the mistake your mother and I made. It was horrible, I feel so horrible that I felt that I can't rescue you to such evil. That's when I made a pact with Jed. I cursed the whole family of Austeen and promised that they'll meet their consequence some day. And I knew from that moment that you, Jane, is the one who will make the consequence for them" he turned to me and smile.

I didn't smile back knowing this whole thing Mrs. Austeen can do for the sake of her family, it's scaring me. He noticed the change of my expression and patted my back.

"You were a toddler, days old that day. But look at you right now, you can fight back, you won't be scared because I will never be who I am back then today. I'm brave now, so are you." He smiled giving me courage.

I smiled at him, he trusts me and I should trust him too. Nothing's going to be wrong if I'll just stay to be brave.

I rests my head on his shoulder, he caressed my hair, I wonder what's my father is thinking now.

"You know what, I'm so happy that this day finally came. What came to your mind that made you come back and look for me?" He asked, this must be what he's thinking.

"Oh!" I almost stood up when I came up to the answer, I smiled so wide while speaking, "I want you to meet him!" I excitedly said.

"Who?" He turned to me, I was on the door already, "Your boyfriend?" He asked.

I chuckled, "I don't have a boyfriend, Mr. Jacobs. I want you to meet my best friend!" I said excitedly. I waved goodbye and when I was on the main door of the house, the old woman stopped me.

"Jane!" She shouted a few feet from me.

I turned and looked at her, I smiled at her. "I'll be back before dinner! I just want Mr. Jacobs to meet someone! You'll meet him too!!" I shouted leaving the place.

I waved hello to the maids watering the garden. All of them bowed down and I bowed down too. "Let's be friends!! I'll be back later!" I shouted smiling at them.

I went inside my car and contact Niall. "Hey!!"

I shouted when he answers the phone.

"Jane?" He asked.

"I'll be there in one hour! Wait for me!!" I said.

"Why are you happy?" He asked.

"You'll know. Ba-bye!" I said hanging up the phone.

I drove faster than usual, smile never left my face. When my father asked me about what changed my decision, my mind immediately thought of Niall. If Niall wasn't there, probably I'm on my unit, sleeping right now. But look at me right now, having the best day of my life!! And it is all because of Niall. I want my father to know about Niall, I want him to know who made everything possible.

I reached the place of the boys and happily went inside. I passed by Louis and when he saw me, "Oh Jane! Long time no see!" He greeted.

I smiled at him, "where's Niall?" I asked hurrying.

"Oh, Harry's outside buying cof-- oh, Niall.. He's eating inside." He said, I waved him a bye and I immediately headed to where Niall is supposed to be eating.

I opened the door to see Zayn, Niall and Liam watching a movie. I grabbed Niall's wrist which is on the bowl of popcorn. He followed me without asking, I can see the other two mouthed a question to Niall but Niall just shrugged.

I smiled at Liam and Zayn, "Can I borrow Niall? I really need him. Tell Harry that I dropped by and tell him I love him." I said, they both nodded and smiled at me.

When Niall and I reached my car, Niall opened the door for me like the usual and made his way to the other side.

I drove with a smile on my face, no one can really change my mood today, I wonder what Mr. Jacobs would think about Niall, I hope he'll like Niall. Of course, Niall is very cute and adorable who wouldn't like Niall?

I turned to glance at Niall on my side, his hands wrapped on his knees frowning. I looked at the road and asked, "aren't you going to ask where I'm going to take you?" I said smiling.

He just looked at me and back at the road again.

Now that I think that no one can ruin my good mood, why am I getting pissed off this time. Niall surely changes my mood easily.

I can hear Jed's words to me. "In just simple and few words from his mouth, I can see that he can easily change your mood." I shook my head to brush away the thought.

"Ok! So what's the pro--" I was cut off.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

"What?" I asked, even though I clearly heard him.

"I said I'm sorry." He repeated, at first I don't get him but when I remembered I am too late to stop him, "I'm sorry if I'm a jerk that made your day worst, I'm sorry if I'm too careless that I just ruined your life. From this day on, why don't we stop this. I just don't want to bother nor hurt you. I'm so sorry but I really can't forgive myself from what I did. I'm a stupid jerk!!"

I reached my hands to hold his hand. I stopped by a street and when the engine's off, I turned to him.

"Look Niall. It's not your fault. I'm wrong. And you don't know how you changed my life!! I don't know how to thank you, but I'm so happy right now Niall!! And I won't be this happy if it wasn't because of you!" I hugged him, I got him in surprise. But I don't know how will I express my gratitude to him.

And when I released him from my hug, my hands are on his cheeks and we were a few inches close. I smiled, "Thank you Niall. You don't know how thankful I am

"We stared at each other for a long time and I'm the first one to look away. I closed my eyes before I started driving. It was a little awkward after that, no one has started any topic for conversation.

I turned to him, "Niall, I have a question." I said.

He looked at me, "What?" He asked.

"Can I cry?" I asked.

He smiled at me, "Of course you can." He said.

Tears stream down on my cheeks while I concentrate on the road. Niall continues to stare at me, "Niall, I finally met him." I started.

And just by one look, he knows who I'm talking about.

"He looks the same with the man I always dream about. I finally met him Niall, I have found my last family. For 19 years, I finally found someone who can love me more than I have expected. And you know what, I want him to meet you." I turned off the car's engine, "because he asked me, what changed my decision.

"I smiled at the big gate where the maids are waiting through the car's window. And then I continued, "and the only person that came out of my mind when he asked me that, was you, Niall. You changed everything, you always made my day fun, my smile real and my tears shed. I'm so happy I have a best friend like you Niall." I said.

"I want to meet him too." He said.

"He'll like you." I reassure him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 159 15
18 year old, Emma Hudson gets herself invited to go on tour with her celebrity boyfriend, Harry Styles, and the rest of One Direction and she can't d...
35.1K 510 43
18 year old Alexis Davidson lived a normal, boring life in a small town in Ohio. Instead of going straight to college, Alexis decides to take a year...
19.1K 185 28
Dylan Kennedy, a normal 18 year old girl from Dallas, Texas took a trip to London, in February by herself. Crazy, right? Her first day in London, she...
759 26 25
Jen moved to England to get away from the past. She met Jill and Age in uni and they now live together. Jill won One Direction tickets and the unthin...