Cruel & Blue (Eyeless Jack st...

By EternalLaughter

[SEQUEL to Killer Protector (Jeff the Killer story)] In the quaint town of Gracewood, Virginia, Ao Matsukochi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Epilogue
Thank You!

Chapter 45

25.1K 932 3K
By EternalLaughter

*YO GUYS! IT'S ANOTHER UPDATE! YES, I KNOW, I TOOK FOREVER ON THIS ONE TOO. I'M SORRY. I'LL KEEP TRYING TO MAKE THE WAITING TIME SHORTER AND SHORTER AS THE CHAPTERS COME. BUT, FOR NOW, SIT BACK, RELAX, LISTEN TO THE MUSIC IN THE MULTIMEDIA --which is Lullabies by Yuna (Adventure Club remix) and I barely found this song like oh my lawd I'm in love with it and I think it sounds nice with the first half of this chapter-- AND ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS.~~

QUESTIONS!!:
-What is one show you never, ever thought you'd watch and get into? (*cough* Orange is the New Black *violent cough*)
-What's your favorite genre of music? (I don't think I asked this question before, did I? Whatevs, bruh. If you haven't noticed, my main thing is EDM. c:)

ENJOY THE CHAPTER GUYS. I REALLY HOPE YOU DO BECAUSE I FEEL CONFLICTED ABOUT IT. IT'S BEEN SO LONG. TRY NOT TO GET CONFUSED ON THIS ONE!*

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 45

Today was a special day. I was wearing this lovely, arctic blue sundress. Ribbons tied at the ends of my braids matched my dress. There was a beautiful flower in my hair that I was happy about. My mother smiled down at me as she fixed my hair a bit while my father helped put my shoes on. I was excited for Daniel's birthday party. He was going to be turning seven today. During the weeks leading up to this day he talked on and on about how amazing it would be and all of the ideas he and his parents had in store. It sounded fantastic and I knew I had to be there, plus he was my friend.

"Are you ready to leave now, my little rairakku?," asked my mother. I nodded eagerly.

Before I knew it, I was sitting in the backseat of my father's car, holding Daniel's birthday present close to me. It's something I picked out myself and I was pretty confident that he would love it. My parents were in the front, my father in the driver's seat. "Ikamishou," (let's go) my father announced happily as he turned on the car and started leaving the driveway. The gates opened, we exited, and then they closed up again, locked and secure until we came back. The drive to the park felt like forever. I was tapping my foot throughout the entire way. Finally, the familiar green fields and gorgeous trees of the local park came into view. I even spotted this goose which Daniel and I named Archibald. Well, at least I did. Daniel just calls him Archy.

Once we were parked, we left the car. As my parents grabbed a couple more presents from the back, I tried spotting the area where Daniel's party was. Far away, there was a picnic center and I could see the familiar party balloons of a birthday. As soon as my parents were done, I practically dragged them along the stone pathway that traveled throughout the entire park.

This is a great place to have a birthday party. It's pretty.

I agreed with Sam.

And then, there he was. Dressed in a nice T-shirt and cargo shorts, wearing a big, red badge that had 'Birthday Boy!!!' on it. He was laughing along with a few other kids but as soon as he saw me, he exclaimed "Hold on" and started running to me. I smiled at him and soon he was in front of me, panting. His hair was neat but knowing him he would mess it up.

"You made it," he sighed.

I nodded and replied, "Of course! I couldn't miss your party."

"We were just about to start playing tag," Daniel said, "Do you wanna join?"

I nodded. Then, I handed him his present. "I picked it myself," I commented, "But, don't open it yet!"

Daniel laughed and nodded, then walked away to go put his presents with the others that friends and family gave him. I looked over at my parents and both of them smiled at me. "Go ahead and play with your friends, Blue," my mother said. As soon as Daniel came back, I happily ran with him towards the nearby playground to play with the other kids. Some of them were from our school and others where some of his family members. We all ran around, laughed and screamed in excitement. I was tagged a few times but I always caught someone.

There was this little girl, younger than me, who started tearing up because she was tagged and couldn't catch anyone. I didn't want her to feel sad so I pretended to trip and I bumped her shoulder. "Oh no!," I exclaimed, "I'm it!" I gave her a quick wink and she gave me the most relieved smile before running away along with the others. Before I ran, I looked over at my parents, who sat and chatted with the other adults. They were both smiling at me, looking proud and I couldn't help but blush. I guess they saw what I did.

After a while, everyone was tuckered out and we took a break from playing. I sat on one of the swings on the playground while other kids kept playing or sat with their parents for a breather. I looked at everyone. The adults chatted and had waters or sodas to drink. My mother is most likely translating for my father, or he's just not talking at all. It seems like the other adults aren't teasing him about not speaking English, unlike other people that I've seen do that. Those people are mean.

The kids were playing or eating hot dogs. I saw a baby giggling in her mom's arms while a slightly older kid made funny faces. There was one kid that was sitting alone on a bench, black hair and brown eyes. He's from my school. I think his name was Craig. I was about to get up from the swing to sit with him when this little blonde girl hopped right next to him and handed him a hot dog. He took it shyly and gave a small smile. The both of them sat there, talking and eating casually. I haven't seen that girl before but they seem really close.

I spotted Daniel running around with a couple of the boys from class. He looked like he was having a lot of fun. I would join with them but I was too tired from tag. So, I just swung gently, looking at the sky and the grass and trees, catching sight of Archy honking at a couple walking on the stone path.

This is fun.

I giggled and replied, "Yeah. I like this place a lot, too. I'm glad I came to Daniel's birthday party. I'm glad to see he's happy."

I wonder what flavor of cake he has...

"Sam," I scolded playfully.

Well, you have to think about these things. The cake is everything, Ao. If it's not choice then the party isn't good.

"Whatever," I laughed.

"What are you laughing at?" A voice suddenly asked me. I whirled my head around to the side, startled by the stranger. But, it wasn't a stranger.

"Jack," I said happily.

The auburn haired boy smiled at me, faint dimples showing up on his pale cheeks, and his sharp teeth shining white. I quickly responded to him with, "N-Nothing, I was just remembering a joke I heard from one of my classmates."

"What was the joke?"

Uh oh. I tried to think of something quickly and ended up saying, "What's the difference between a guitar and a fish?"

"I don't know, what?"

I gave a pause of silence for dramatic effect and then said, "You can't tuna fish." I ended up actually laughing at the joke but Jack shook his head. "Wow," he murmured.

"Ah c'mon, that's funny," I protested.

"Nope, this is funny," he started, "Why did the birdie go to the hospital?"

"Why?"

"To get a tweetment," he chuckled. I didn't laugh. He frowned and muttered, "Aw c'mon, that's funny."

"No," I said, turning my cheek, "You didn't laugh at my joke so I won't laugh at yours."

He sighed and said, "Fair enough." I gave him a smirk but he didn't catch it.

"Do you want a push?," he asked me, pointing to the swing. I nodded happily and he turned to stand behind me. I felt him pull the swing back a bit before he let go and I was sent forward. I held onto the swing tightly, even though I wasn't going fast. I felt him gently push against my back when I moved backward and with each push I went higher and higher. The wind blowing against my face felt great and I loved the tingly feeling in my stomach whenever I was sent up. I started smiling and giggling, enjoying every dizzying moment. Once I started getting too high up, I said, "Okay, I'm done!"

"Can you slow down?," Jack asked.

In that moment, I realized that I did not know how to slow myself down on a swing. I cried out, "No!"

"Okay, I'll help you out then," Jack told me.

The next thing I knew, I felt something hit my legs and there was a loud thud behind me. I gasped and turned around to see Jack on the ground. "Oh my gosh," I exclaimed. The swing started slowing down on its own and I realized Sam helped me. Once it was still, I hopped off of the seat and ran towards Jack. "Are you okay," I asked him worriedly. He picked himself up from the ground and rubbed his cheek gently. That must be where I hit him.

"I'm sorry," I told him.

"It's okay," he said.

"Do you need a band-aid? My mother probably has some. I could ask her for one," I offered.

"I'll be fine," he assured me.

His hoodie, pants and hair were dirty with dust and I felt really bad for hitting him. I grabbed onto his hand, pulling it away from his face, then leaned forward to give him a kiss on his sore cheek. When I faced him again, he was blushing. I gave him a smile and said, "To make it feel better."

"Th-Thanks," he murmured.

I squeezed his hand gently but finally noticed that he was wearing those gloves doctors use. "Why are you wearing these," I asked him, picking up his other gloved hand. He suddenly got quiet and didn't answer me. I suspected the worst and said, "Did something happen to them? Are you injured?" I attempted to take one of them off but he suddenly yanked both of them out of my hands and blurted, "No!"

I was startled by his response and he didn't apologize for it. He only sat there, covered in dust, holding his hands against his chest protectively. "Jack," I started softly, "what's wrong...?" He just shook his head and looked away from me. I wanted to hug him and I almost did, but the familiar sound of Daniel's voice interrupted me.

"Ao, what's going on," he asked me. I turned around and quickly stood up from the ground. Dusting off my dress, I answered, "I was just talking with my friend, Jack."

"I don't remember inviting him," Daniel murmured curiously. "Does he go to our school?"

"N-No," I replied.

Daniel narrowed his eyes down at Jack, who staying sitting on the ground. I was going to help him up when Daniel motioned me to come with him. Hesitantly, I followed Daniel a few feet away before we stopped next to the swirly slide.

"I don't think I like him," he whispered. Giving him a shocked look, I asked, "Why...?!"

He frowned over at Jack and said, "He's weird. I think I've seen him walk around in the forest, acting like a dog."

"He doesn't act like a dog," I argued.

"How do you know?"

"Because he's my friend and I would know about whatever he does because we're friends," I responded.

"He may be your 'friend' but he's weird, a freak," he hissed softly. I flinched slightly at that word: freak.

"He's not a freak," I said, starting to frown. "He's smart and nice!"

"My dad says those kind of people always have something bad to hide about themselves," Daniel asserted. "He also says that if you're not careful then they'll end up hurting you."

"Well, Jack hasn't hurt me and never will," I claimed.

"How do you know? That's what's scary about that, you never know until it happens. How long have you been friends with Jack?"

I thought about it. I haven't kept track of time. "Maybe about a year?," I answered quietly.

"Maybe?"

I shrugged, feeling bad for not remembering when Jack and I first met.

Daniel shook his head. "Ao, you have to trust me and stay away from him."

"Wh-What?? No, I couldn't."

Daniel frowned at me, annoyance deep in his eyes."So, you'd ignore my help for him?"

"N-No, I just don't think he's any threat to me. He's helped me so many times."

"How long have we known each other, Ao?," Daniel asked me sternly.

I blinked and answered, "Since kinder..."

"Then, who's the more reliable friend: me or him?" He pointed bitterly at Jack who was still sitting on the ground.

When I didn't answer, Daniel continued, "Would you choose him over me? Would you save his life over mine if something bad happened?"

"Daniel, I-."

"Answer the question, Ao," he demanded. I stared wide-eyed at him, debating in my mind how to answer him. After being silent for a few moments, Daniel scoffed and muttered, "So, you'd choose the freak over me. On my own birthday, too..."

"N-No, it's not like that!," I hollered.

"Then, what is it, Blue?" Daniel snapped. I looked back and forth between him and Jack, on the verge of tears of frustration. Finally, I hugged Daniel and assured him, "You're my dearest friend. Okay?"

"And, what is he," he asked.

I looked over at Jack, biting my lip, feeling sick thinking about what I was going to say.

"Ao?"

"He's...," I started somberly, "a freak..."

Daniel gave me a gentle smile and said, "Thanks, Blue. Now, go tell Jack to go home. I don't want him hanging out with the other kids. He wasn't invited to begin with."

I didn't say anything. All I did was nod and start walking towards Jack. Once I was standing in front of him, he finally stood up from the ground, looking at me with bright eyes. "Is everything okay, Ao? You look sad," he remarked.

I ignored his concern and said, "You need to leave..."

"Huh? Why?"

"Because you're not supposed to be here, okay, Jack?" I said with a little more volume in my voice.

"What's going on--?"

I interrupted him and scolded, "Just go away, Jack! No one wants you here!"

He was taken off guard but he didn't leave. Instead, he said, "But...you want me here...don't you? That's all that matters?"

I wanted to hug him for being so sweet but I did the opposite and hissed, "No, I don't want you here. So, just go away and bother another friend!"

Then, something shocking happened before my eyes. Jack, who has never teared up in front of me, who has always been the calm and collected boy, began to cry. Tears welled in his eyes and ran down his cheeks gradually. "Another friend?," he murmured, "Ao...you're my only friend! And, you know that! You're the only one I can call a friend! You're the only one that can make me laugh until my stomach hurts! You're the only one that listens to what I say! You're the only one that I listen to without being ordered to! You're the only one who's ever talked to me when no one else would! You're the only one who hasn't seen me as a freak! You're the only one for me!!!"

His tears were falling from his chin, making spots on the dirt beneath our feet. As I watched his eyes shine with sadness, and heard his disheartened sniffles, I felt my heart truly break for the first time. I felt guilty and stupid and terrible and so many other horrible things. I wanted to take my mean words back and just hug him and talk to him. I wanted to play with him or maybe even push him on the swing. I just wanted to go on with our day as if I never yelled at him and as if he never cried in front of me for the first time. Now he looks as gloomy as the first day I met him.

I stepped forward to try and give him a hug but he shook his head and backed away from me. "Jack, please," I pleaded, "I'm so sorry! I never meant any of it!" I went for another hug but this time, to my surprise, he pushed me away and I nearly fell over, grabbing onto the swing chain just in time. When I looked back up at him, I shivered at his cold and betrayed gaze. His eyes flared with anger and he hissed, "Don't touch me! Not after what you've said..!"

"But, Jack-!"

"Shut up, you stupid, little girl! I was foolish to think that you would ever be my friend, to think that you had liked me for me. I was wrong! And, after all that I've done for you!"

I started to cry, hoping he didn't mean any of it. I stood up-right and began to reach out for him but he growled --like an animal-- and barked, "Get the fuck away from me...!" My heart stopped for a split second just hearing those words come out of his mouth.

Suddenly, a figure got in front of me and I realized it was Daniel. With a few of the boys from school...

"Leave her alone, freak," Daniel hissed bitterly. Jack frowned harder at the mention of that word. One of the boys said, "You should be feel bad, making a girl cry!"

"You shouldn't yell at her either!"

"Or push her!"

"Get out of here before we make you," Daniel said, dominance in his eyes, something that I've never seen before. Jack snarled at him and Daniel laughed. "He's like a dog," Daniel teased, "No, a wild animal! Because even dogs are nice. Nothing but a freak!" Daniel smirked at him while the other boys taunted him and laughed. Jack shifted his gaze at all of them, trembling with anger. Suddenly, he growled, baring his sharp teeth, and raised a fist. I panicked and quickly reacted, pushing past a couple of boys and catching Jack's fist which nearly hit Daniel. Then, he started shoving past me but I blocked him.

"Jack, please, calm down!" I pleaded. He only growled, still set on attacking Daniel. Some of the other boys tried helping me but I told them to leave us alone. I felt hands grab onto me and I stole a glance to see Daniel. He began pulling me away, despite me screaming at him not to. As soon as I was out of the way, he lunged forward and punched Jack across the face. That was the first time I had ever seen him hit anyone at all. It must've been a really hard punch because Jack staggered and fell to his knees. This time he held his other cheek, a look of shock on his devastated face. I shook my head and cried harder. Daniel just kicked dust in Jack's face and said, "You don't deserve to be Ao's friend."

Jack froze for a moment, before tears secretly dropped from his eyes and into the dirt. Then, suddenly, he got up and ran away, faster than I've ever seen him run. I stood there, dumbfounded and saddened by everything that just happened. When all of the boys walked away, snickering among themselves at "the freak", I stayed there, staring off in the distance where Jack disappeared through the trees. He never turned to look back, he just ran. And, I was left, crying, holding onto the edge my dress.

Daniel suddenly came up next to me, gently placing a hand on my shoulder. "It's all my fault..." I murmured sadly. I heard him sigh and say, "C'mon, Ao. Forget about him. Let's go back. I'll let you have the first slice of cake."

I didn't care about cake. It's sad, a child who is not even in the mood for a sweet piece of cake. But, I followed Daniel anyway, even though I felt like a zombie. So, I sat with my parents, eating the first piece of Daniel's cake before anyone else, like he promised. I overheard Daniel's mom asking why his knuckles were so red. None of the boys said anything about what happened. Everything went on like nothing ever happened. I tried my best to hide my sadness but my parents noticed. My mother sat close to me, hugging me close to her warm body, leaning her head against mine. Eventually, I began to silently cry and she wiped away my tears as they came. I never told her what was wrong. She asked and so did my father but when I said nothing they decided not to ask about it again. They just comforted me, which I preferred much better than talking.

I watched as the other kids played games on the playground, then watched Daniel open up his presents. When he got to mine he gave me a big smile and said an excited 'Thank you'. It was a big plushie toy from his favorite TV show ever that he had been dying to have. I managed to give him a smile in return but I still felt empty inside. After the presents were all opened, everyone gathered around to sing 'Happy Birthday' to the birthday boy. I murmured the song but half-way in I stopped. Upon blowing out the candles, everyone clapped and cheered. Daniel looked happy. The cake was cut and given to everyone who wanted it. After it was completely gone, and paper plates were thrown in the trash, everything went as it did before. Adults chatted, children played. I stayed with my parents, turned around to watch the other kids play. Randomly, one of my schoolmates, Craig, and the little blonde girl, came up to me, asking if i would like to play. I didn't answer them, which was rude, but I didn't have it in me to do anything. The both of them shared confused glances before shrugging and walking away, going about their business.

After the party was over, I went home with my parents. I took a shower, got into some PJs, and got ready for bed. I didn't have my father tell me a bedtime story this time, as I just wanted to go to sleep. My dreams were haunted by Jack; the image of him crying and screaming and running away. The hurtful words he said. The hurtful words I had said. I woke up that same night, screaming and crying. My father rushed into the room, looking panicked. Once he realized there was no burglar or monster, he sat on he edge of my bed and gave me a hug.

"Nani ga mondaidesu ka?" (what is wrong) he asked me.

All I told him was, "Watashi wa hidoi hitodesu..."

The days following, I felt sad all of the time. The teacher's jokes, the kids being weird, my parents smiles, Sam's lullabies. None of them helped. I had reoccurring nightmares of that day that changed everything. What's even more disheartening is that my dreams were my only way of seeing Jack, because I never saw him again. That day was the last time I would ever talk to him, hug him, or hear his voice in person.

My sadness came to the point where my parents had me see a therapist. I never told them what was wrong and that was the same for the therapist, who was such a nice lady. I shouldn't have been rude to her and wasted her time with silence. Finally, it came to a point where Sam took action. He spoke to me one day in the lounge room while I was reading book.

Ao...

"Yeah...?"

There was a pause of silence and I wondered why he hesitated. Then, he spoke up again.

Would you like to stop being sad?

The offer was tempting and it was only a few words. I nodded.

Another pause of silence followed, before Sam asked another equally tempting question.

Would you like to forget about why you're sad...?

I furrowed my brow and murmured, "What do you mean?"

Well... I can help you forget about what happened. I'll erase the memory.

"You can do that?" I asked, astonished.

Yes, although its not something I can do all of the time. It takes up a lot of my energy.

"Y-You can do whatever you want! Just as long as you erase the memory!"

Are you sure you want this?

"Yes! Please!" I was starting to feel a sliver of happiness, something I haven't felt in a few days.

Ao, I won't just erase that memory alone.

I paused. "What do you mean?"

If I just erase that memory in particular, every other moment you've had with Jack will still be with you. Because you won't remember what happened on Daniel's birthday, you won't know why Jack hasn't come to see you or, when he does, why he's so angry with you.

"What are you saying...?," I murmured, my voice uneasy. I heard Sam sigh.

I'll erase Jack from your life completely. Every moment spent with him will be taken away, so that you can forget everything and be happy again.

I stared off with wide, horrified eyes. Shaking my head, I whimpered, "N-No, you can't do that to me..."

It's for the best.

"But..." My lip quivered, tears threatening to fall from my eyes.

I know he means a lot to you but sometimes you just have to let things go. Especially if they hurt you every waking moment...

I started to cry, hugging my knees to my chest. "I don't want to forget Jack! He was such a good friend! I lost him already! I can't bear to lose him again..."

You won't remember ever losing him. You won't remember him at all. Ao, please, its for the best. I love you too much to watch and feel you suffer...

I sobbed into my knees, shaking my head and trembling. If I hadn't been so mean to Jack, I wouldn't go through any of this! But, I was mean to him, and I can't take that back. It's my own fault that I'm suffering. The thought of never remembering Jack ever again is...devastating. He is one of my best friends. Was. Now he's gone. And, if I choose to, I could lose him forever.

After crying and thinking while crying, I came to a conclusion.

"Erase my memories..."

Are you sure?

I gulped and sternly said, "Yes. I'm tired of being sad."

Sam was quiet for a few moments and I thought that maybe he changed his mind about his offer. But, he proved me wrong and replied...

This might hurt.

Suddenly, blinding white light covered my vision, followed by an overwhelming pain at the top of my head. I couldn't feel my own fingers. I felt like a lot of energy was being sucked out of me by a powerful vacuum. I saw images pass from my vision, images that grew blurry and faded away. The images grew less and less familiar as they went until they were indistinguishable. This experience lasted for a good few minutes before it all suddenly stopped and left me sitting on the lounge couch. I had one moment of consciousness before falling over and passing out.

I woke up and found myself in my bedroom. Daylight poured in from my windows and lit up my room. How did I end up here? Where was I before?

Thank goodness you're awake.

I frowned, confused. Sam sounded awfully tired. "Of course, Sam. Why wouldn't I be?"

N-No reason. Hey, just a few questions!

"What is it?"

Um, do you feel happy?

I shrugged and answered, "I'm okay."

No sadness?

Shaking my head, I said, "I don't think so."

After that, Sam was quiet for a few seconds, making me worry about his strange behavior.

Do you remember Jack?

I sat there, on my bed, hands clutching the covers. The room was filled with nothing but silence as I thought. Then, I cocked an eyebrow.

"Who's Jack?"

...

My vision was blurry at first once I woke up. After everything became clearer I could see the sky and tree branches above. There was also a presence beside me where I lay. Confused and light headed, I craned my head to the right and found Jack. Behind him I saw wooden planks, deducing that the both of us were on the swinging bench. He sat down on it with my head on his lap. "Jack," I murmured, beginning to sit up when I felt pulsating throbbing pain spread from my forehead. I groaned and laid back down. "Why does my head hurt so much," I whined.

"Well, you did literally fall unconscious straight onto a concrete patio," he replied casually.

You fell pretty hard.

Sam replied nonchalantly.

"Oh..." I murmured. I rubbed the spot on my head tenderly, trying to overcome the pain. "Oh god," I groaned, "I also had the weirdest dream. You were in it and we were supposed to train.."

"Um..."

"Then there was this lady who suddenly appeared from this black smoke..."

"Ao?"

"And, then...!"

"Ao."

"This giant, tall...person showed up seemingly out of thin air and he had no face! Nothing at all. Like, completely blank!"

"Ao."

"It also talked but it didn't even have a mouth! How? It was just really weird. I'm just glad it was--."

"Ahem," a different voice other than Jack's or Sam's intruded. I turned my head to the left and saw none other than the tall creature, with the woman standing a few ways behind him. My eyes widened as I added, "...real, oh my god it was real..."

Wow.

I ignored Sam's sarcastic 'wow'.

"Are you okay, dear?," the woman, Ms. P as I recalled, asked me.

I couldn't find the words to say so all that came out were incoherent mumbles.

"She's fine," Jack spoke for me, "She'll just have a bruise for a while." He grabbed my hand and helped me sit up. My head still hurt and I gently pressed a hand against my temple. I sat for a few moments before standing up along with Jack. Dizziness struck me for a second but it went away as quick as it came. Taking in a deep breath, I composed myself. Ms. P was looking at me with red eyes of concern. That look relaxed me somewhat but as soon as I turned my gaze up to the tall creature, who I remembered was named Slenderman, that calmness was ripped right out of me again. My stomach wouldn't stop feeling queasy and my head felt like it suddenly got stuffed with a jar-full of cotton balls, jar included. Despite how sick I felt, I couldn't stop looking at him and his empty physique.

So, this is the Slenderman. The infamous myth I read about what seemed like years ago was only a few months back. The one and only that TIRACorp intern, Ian Harris, was so cautious about. I wonder what he would think of this encounter. Then, it finally dawned on me. This creature will be teaching me magic. Ian'll have a riot.

"You look ill, darling," Ms. P remarked, "I think you should rest."

You should.

I should, but...

"Oh no," I chuckled lightly, "I'm fine! D-Don't worry!" I wanted to lay back down on the swinging bench with Jack but he stood firmly by the gazebo instead.

"Good," the resonating voice of Slenderman said. I still don't know how he talks. He continued, "That means we can get right into business."

"Slender, maybe we should take things slow. She doesn't seem ready for what we had planned," Ms. P suggested.

"I'm sure she can handle the book," Slender said.

Ms. P looked at me up and down and nodded, "I suppose she can." She lifted up her pale, black nail painted hands and black smoke materialized above them until it dissipated to make way for a thick, leather-bound book. My eyes went wide at the awing sight and I shook my head. Ms. P handed the book to me and I hesitantly took it. I groaned at how weighty it was but I didn't drop my hands.

"Like I said before," Ms. P said, "My name is Ms. Pencilneck. The being to my left is Slenderman. We will be your instructors in magic. Magic is usually made up in spells, which means they will be the basis of your training and the most important aspect of your abilities. There are light spells and heavy ones. You will deal with all of them as best as you can and it is our duty to take you through everything step-by-step. The main rule of magic training that we urge you to follow is you must not restrain yourself and you must believe in it. If your will isn't strong enough, you will learn nothing. Is that understood, Ao?"

I nodded.

Ms. P gave me a smile and gestured towards the book. "Everything you will learn will come from this book, with the exception of some personal lessons from us."

"Got it," I replied.

"Open the book," Slenderman told me, his voice still giving me small shivers. I did as he said and opened up its wide exterior. The paper looked old, beige and nearly brittle. At first I didn't want to touch the pages but I did anyway and found that they were surprisingly sturdy. I frowned down at the writing on the pages, confused because none of it made a lick of sense. I don't think it's English. It's not Japanese either. I don't think it's any language, though it must be. One that isn't known? One that doesn't even exist anymore?

"Um," I murmured, pointing to the black gibberish.

"That will be legible in just a few moments," she said, gracefully taking the heavy book out of my hands and leaving it in the air beside her head. I stared at the floating book and she caught my expression. "You may be able to learn that trick someday," she giggled. Her statement didn't excite me like it should've because I can. Sort of. Sam can. But I smiled anyway.

"Give me your hands," she ordered gently. I did as she said and I felt her cool fingers against my skin. "Where is your proxy mark," she asked. I shrugged. She cocked an eyebrow and added, "You don't know?" I shook my head. "Well," she continued, "let's find out. Close your eyes and concentrate on my voice."

I did as she told me to and I stood there for a bit while she began chanting something softly. Her voice was tender and melodic, making it easy for me to concentrate on. As I focused on her voice, I felt strange inside. My skin started feeling hot in different places, fluctuating in temperature. This made it harder to focus and it grew so out of hand that I opened my eyes. I gasped, staring down at my arms, gazing at the copious amount of proxy symbols all over my skin. They kept moving around, glowing, burning. I gulped and croaked, "M-Ms. P...?"

She kept on with her chanting.

I could feel the burning all over my stomach, chest, back, legs. Even my face. I shut my eyes tight to ignore the pain but it was harder than I thought. I called for Ms. P again and this time she opened her eyes. "Whoa," she gasped, almost letting go of my hands.

"I'm guessing this isn't normal," I groaned, the pain starting to get to me. She looked up at Slender who shook his head. "U-Usually proxies can have about one or two symbols on their body, but, uh..." She eyed my arms. So did I.

Ao, I think you need to let go.

I made a face.

Like, right now.

"What?" I murmured.

"Hmm?" Ms. P hummed.

I turned my attention down to my hands and gasped. Bright red, glowing lines, like lightning patterns, started traveling along Ms. P's hands. She looked down and murmured, "Oh my..."

Immediately, I pulled my hands away from hers, fearing that something bad would happen to her if I held on any longer. The red markings on her skin retreated as I moved away and I felt lighter. The proxy marks gradually faded from my skin, along with the uncomfortable pain they created. Soon my skin was normal and I could breathe a little easier.

Ms. P stared at me worriedly but I gave her a smile to ease her. She turned to Slender and said, "We'll have a lot of work to do."

He nodded in agreement. I looked up at his blank face and felt a familiar uneasiness. Nonetheless, there was familiarity, the same feeling I get with Jack...other than a bubbly feeling in my chest.

Ms. P handed the book back to me and said, "Try to read the words, please."

I grabbed the heavy book and stared down at the black writing on the pages. The words began to blur, changing the language of whatever was on the page to begin with. The words kept switching from English to Japanese, until finally it settled for normal English.

"What do you read," Ms. P asked.

"Um...words.."

I caught Jack shaking his head with his hand on his mask while Sam's chuckling echoed in my head. Ms. P stifled a laugh too and said, "I meant what spell do you read, dear."

I looked down at the pages again and opened my mouth to speak when I heard the brief sound of a car door closing. Suddenly, I shut the book closed and hissed, "My parents are here!"

"Is that what it says?" Ms. P muttered.

"No, darling, her caretakers are actually here," Slender deadpanned.

"Oh, okay!" Ms. P chuckled but then her smile faltered and she added, "Oh, my god, we have to leave..!" She waved her hand over the book and it dissipated into smoke from my hands. She suddenly shook my hand and said, "It was a pleasure seeing you, Miss Ao, and I'm terribly sorry for you going unconscious for one straight hour and a half--."

"Wait, what?"

"I'm sorry we couldn't work together more today but we'll see you again soon," she beamed. Ms. P stepped back and waved good-bye while black smoke unfurled at her feet. It swallowed her up in a matter of seconds and she was gone as soon as it disappeared. I looked back at Slender, who gave me a curt bow, before vanishing in the blink of an eye.

"That was sudden," I heard Jack's voice right behind me and I flinched from surprise. I turned around to face him. "I'm sorry I couldn't learn more," I said to him.

"It's fine," he replied, "No one knew you'd pass out for the duration of two hours."

"Thanks for reminding me," I muttered, rubbing my head where I hit myself on the way down to the ground.

"Don't feel bad. You have plenty of opportunities left to learn magic. Take it little by little," he advised.

I felt some relief in me. "Thanks, Jack--."

"Combat training, however," he interjected, "You don't have any excuse for. Tomorrow we get straight into it. We'll make up for what we didn't get to do today."

I sighed and hung my head.

Suddenly, I felt Jack touch my head and brush my bangs back. "Put some ice on your bruise as soon as you get inside. It won't go away just yet but it shouldn't feel or look as bad."

"Okay," I murmured. I looked up at him, marveling his tall stature, the way he still had his hand on my head. Remembering the way he stayed by my side while I was unconscious made my heart flutter with joy. Then, I remembered that my mother or father was home and so I gently pushed him away and stammered, "You have to leave or else you'll get caught and sent to jail or something..!"¨

"I wouldn't immediately go to jail, someone would have to call the cops beforehand.."

"Jack."

"And prison seems more appropriate for me--."

"Jack!" I scolded.

"Alright, I'm going," he reasoned. He turned around and started walking away. I did too, and by the time I made it to the backdoor and looked back Jack was gone. "Ninja," I chuckled to myself and entered my house. Inside, I found my mother who had quite a few grocery bags. "Hello, Okaasan," I greeted her. She looked at me and gave me a smile as she said hello. Then, she frowned and asked, "What happened to your forehead?"

"Oh, nothing serious," I answered her, "I just hit my head against my vanity dresser. I was just about to get some ice for it."

"Then, how come you came from the backyard?" She inquired.

I gulped and lied, "I thought I should get some fresh air first."

"And, the work-out clothing?"

I looked down at myself, smiled at her and said, "I wanted to do some exercises outside. Ya know, embrace nature and all of it's marvelous beauty!"

"Well, you can embrace nature later after you've put some ice on that bruise," she said.

"You don't need help with groceries?"

"Don't worry about it, I've got this," she assured me.

I shrugged and murmured, "Alright."

As I made my way up the stairs I heard a brief clatter followed by an angry, "Kuso!"

I sighed and shook my head, knowing I should've helped with groceries anyway.

...

Jeff's POV
[The Day Before]

"For the last time, we are not getting that car," I groaned to a whining Ben.

"But, it's amazing," he argued, "A sixty-eight Chevrolet Chevelle? That shit's, like, 'Fast and the Furious' car material. And, not the kind that get totaled. We have to get it!"

"We are not getting it," I said.

"C'mon! Even Elizabeth thinks it cool!"

"Yeah," she dead-panned from her seat at the couch.

I sighed and said, "Give me reasons why we should get this car."

"Well," Ben started, "for one, we can't travel on your bike since all of us can't fit and it seems like it could give out at anytime. Secondly, the car has good gas milage, stable engine, comfy cabin space, and it looks awesome. We'd be traveling in style, bro."

"I say we get it," Elizabeth added, "It wouldn't hurt to use a car. We could sleep in it in case we have nowhere else to stay. Also, it's not like we're buying it since Ben will probably just 'borrow' one."

"See?" Ben chimed.

I furrowed my brow and crossed my arms. After some thought, I came to a decision and said, "Fine, we can get the car."

"YES," Ben screamed and jumped on top of me. He gave me a kiss on the forehead and exclaimed, "Thank you, problematic child!" I threw him off of me but he still had the excited grin on his face when he got up from the floor. "I'll be back," he sang, before pixelating away. I sighed and shook my head.

I looked down at Elizabeth and saw her messing with the torn, dead wires of her metal arm. "How are you feeling," I asked her.

She shrugged and answered, "I'm fine."

"Stomach settled?"

"Calm as ever."

"Anything else?"

"Other than the pain of reaching for something with my right arm and then remembering that I barely have one? No."

I restrained a chuckle and commented, "That's good to hear."

"How are you feeling?" She asked me.

I thought about my injured arm and shoulder along with a side of scrapes and bruises. I'm still wearing the bandages and I still have to wait to have my stitches removed by Ben. A lot of places still hurt. I can't fully stretch my left arm out without enduring discomforting pain. "Never better," I replied. She gave me a look, knowing I was bullshitting but she didn't call me out on it.

"Well, I'm going to go work on my bike for a while," I said, grabbing my hair to tie it up.

"Hey," Elizabeth called me. I stopped in my tracks and turned around, holding my hair back in one hand. She stood up from the couch and walked right up to me. From this I could determine her height. I remember her barely reaching my collarbone. Now the top of her head is nearly at my chin. Holy crap, she grew?

"About last night," she started.

"What about last night?" Did something else happen that I don't remember?

She frowned. "You said my eye looked pretty."

"And?"

"Why?"

I shrugged and answered, "I say it how it is. You didn't like my compliment?"

"Not really."

"The blush I saw on your face begged to differ," I countered.

Her frown hardened and she said, "I think you were just imagining things."

"And, I think you're denying the fact that you were absolutely flattered by my compliment."

"And, I think you're an absolutely pompous idiot."

"And, I think I don't really know what that word means but I'll pretend it means I'm handsome as hell."

Her frown faltered and I smirked. I began turning back around when suddenly she grabbed onto me and spun me around. We faced each other and she stared up at me. Then she shifted her eyes to my chest and placed her hand on me. I felt the ring press into my skin and I gulped.

"I...," she started, "forgot to say I'm sorry. Last night. About your loss and stuff. I didn't mean to bring up anything bad."

I sucked in a breath and answered, "It's fine. Thank you." We stared at each other for a while. My attention went back and forth between her blue to her yellow eye. I got that urge to lean forward and kiss her again but I knew better.

She pursed her lips, then muttered, "Your fly is down, by the way."

"Oh shit," I grumbled, scrambling to pull my zipper up. Elizabeth walked away while I fixed my pants in embarrassment. "Have fun fixing your bike," she taunted. I looked up just in time to see her saunter back to her room. Is it possible for a person's walk to be attractive? I bit my lip and turned away, heading for the front door to see my bike.

...

[The Day After]

"My face still kinda stings," Ben murmured, rubbing his face tenderly.

"That's what you get for startling Blue, you dingus," I remarked.

"How was I supposed to know she hits hard?," he grumbled, "I swear, you could hear the slap echo through the whole football field."

I shook my head and took a glance at Elizabeth who walked to my left. Her face was expressionless. I wondered if, deep down, she felt nervous about what we were doing.

We left Blueberry's school campus and found the car parked by a neighborhood road. Ben rushed up in front of us to greet his lovely 68 Chevelle with a hug to its hood. It was black, despite that Ben wanted green. It was a unanimous vote to have it black because black is less noticeable and green just plain didn't look right with the car. Although, that didn't stop Ben
from putting some lame green, fuzzy dice on the rear-view mirror stand.

"Can't wait to ride you all night long, darling," he cooed to the car.

I frowned and commented, "Wouldn't it be the other way around since...um...you're a guy?" Why am I personifying the car as a girl?

He smirked and said, "I go both ways."

"Whoa," Elizabeth said, wide eyed.

"Well, this got tense fast," I scoffed.

Ben cackled and opened up the driver's side door, hopping into the seat with a content look on his smug face. I got into the passenger's side while Elizabeth slipped into the backseat. Ben whipped out the car keys and put them into the ignition. As I watched him jump in his seat excitedly, I realized how terrifying it might be to have him drive. But, we have no other choice. I can't drive for crap and Elizabeth said she doesn't know how, despite that she used to be able to do it. Ben is the only one who can legitimately drive the car. I sigh and snap my seat belt on, leaning back against the smooth, leather seats. I put my hood down to rest on my shoulders and groan as Ben shifts the car into gear and drives.

I watch the school leave behind us and other cars drive with or past us or we pass them. I spotted little things such as a creepy looking, black bird --possibly a crow-- perched atop a wooden fence.

Diverting my attention from the bird, I take a quick glance at the backseat. Elizabeth was buckled in, staring out the window, looking tired. She catches me looking at her and I twirled my head back around. I can feel her eyes bore into the back of my head but I don't turn to check.

Ben reaches over to the radio and turns on some tunes. He switches various stations, grimacing or shaking his head to every one. Until, finally, the lyrics "Hit it Fergie" came up and Ben screamed.

"Aw yeAH!"

"Aw no," I groaned.

"What?" Elizabeth muttered.

Then, we all sat in the car, listening to Ben sing along to the ridiculous song, volume cranked up loud. I turned back to see Elizabeth shaking her head, frowning. Her pain was relatable. I leaned my head against the window, hoping this entire car ride wasn't going to be like this. I turned back around to see if I could still spot that bird and I did. If I didn't know any better, I was sure the bird was shaking it's head along with me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 941 47
"Hey Jeff?" "Hm?" "C-Can I ask you a question?" "What is it?" "Why did you cut your eyelids..?" He chuckled softly and stared at me without blinking...
82.1K 2.4K 16
{COMPLETE} Sarah was invisible in her foster home. No one payed attention to her. No one talked to her. No one cared what she did. One day she went f...
298K 11.3K 30
*Editing* - PART 1 OF 3 (Heart Shaped Blood Stains) - Kate Chambers was a sixteen year old sophomore, already moved out and on her own with...
1.4M 16.1K 38
THIS BOOK IS UNDER MAJOR CONSTRUCTION, CHARACTERS ARE BEING REMOVED WHILE OTHERS ARE BEING ADDED IN. MASSIVE CHANGES ARE IN STORE FOR EACH CP SO ALL...