You, Me & 'Charlie'

By EllieP13

"You can tell things are bad when you're kinda in love with your best friend. Then you realise it's even wors... More

You, Me & 'Charlie'
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 2
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 3
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 4
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 5
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 6
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 7
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 8
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 9
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 10
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 11
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 12
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 13
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 14
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 15
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 16
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 17
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 18
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 19
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 20
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 21
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 22
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 24
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 25
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 26
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 27
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 28
You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 29

You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 23

91 3 7
By EllieP13

Chapter 23

Max yawned loudly, making Elliot’s tail twitch. He lifted his head up sleepily and yawned too, a whine emitting from his throat.

“Tabby, gerrof!” Paloma mumbled.

I laughed, she had obviously forgotten about falling asleep on Max.

“I’m not on you.” I said.

“Hrrrm.” she stated, and turned over to face Max’s stomach, clearly oblivious.

I laughed quietly. Jake was still asleep, his hair poking out the top of the covers. Mum must have chucked a duvet over Paloma while we were asleep.

Max dozed lightly, while I stroked Elliot idly, looking out the window at the weak November sunshine. I wondered what Paloma’s reaction would be when she finally woke up?

I laughed quietly to myself and turned over.

***

I had no idea what time it was, but I must’ve dozed off again. “TABBY!” somebody shouted my name.

I jolted awake, Elliot suddenly getting up and barking.

“Jeez!” I said, sitting up myself to see what was happening.

“Morning sleepy head, I wanted to check you were all up.” Mum smiled brightly from the doorway.

I rubbed my eyes. “What time is it?” I asked, hoping it wasn’t as early as it felt.

“Midday. You missed breakfast, sorry.” Mum smiled apologetically.

“Ah well, I’ll just have to stuff my face at lunch won’t I?” I grinned.

Mum laughed. “Whatever. I’m off shopping, if you need anything, give your dad a call, he’s upstairs in his study finishing some work.”

I nodded. “Ok, where're the twins?” I asked, surprised we hadn’t been woken by them jumping on us.

“Zach is next door with Joe and Ethan is in his room playing Lego. They’ll be fine until I get back and become hungry.” she replied.

“Ok, have fun shopping.”

She gave me another smile, and a glance at Max and Paloma on the sofa. “Young love, eh?” she laughed.

I heard her leave as the front door closed. Elliot was on Max’s lap now too; he’d obviously wanted to get in with the action over there.

I wriggled out of my sleeping bag, my legs were hot and I needed to walk around a bit.

I walked to the kitchen and got some juice out of the fridge. I yawned as I poured it into a glass. I closed the cupboards noisily on purpose so it would wake the others up.

I sipped my juice quietly, thinking about talking to Bree’s mum soon. I would also tell Paloma about my talk with my mum yesterday evening too.

I stood in silence for a few minutes, my mind drifting.

“Why on earth didn’t you tell me?!” someone hissed, bringing me back to earth abruptly.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. “Huh?” I answered, confused.

Paloma was standing with her hands on her hips, her face slightly flushed and her hair messy.

“About me falling asleep on Max you nitwit!” she exclaimed, holding her hands up to the ceiling.

I laughed, suddenly realising what she was getting so worked up about.

“Please Paloma, you were edging closer to him each minute last night. Don’t act like you were surprised to find yourself in his arms this morning.” I said, finishing my juice.

“Surprised is not the word Tabby! I wake up this morning and find my nose stuck in his abs!” she cried. “I mean, do you know what that feels like? How embarrassing it is?! NO!” she said, folding her arms over her chest.

“So that’s why you look so flushed.” I snickered.

“Shut up Tabby! I’m flushed because lying on someone’s lap for eight hours isn’t exactly the coolest place to sleep is it?!”

She was in full annoyed mood by now. “Yeah, yeah. Or you were embarrassed when you found out how close you’d been to Max for that long.” I said, avoiding a slap that was heading for my arm.

“Tabby! Don’t try and make this seem like a joke! You know what I’m like!” she exclaimed.

“Yeah, by the looks of it, pretty violent.” I said.

She stuck out her bottom lip and sat on the bar stool in a huff.

“Morning.” I said as Jake padded through the doorway, ruffling his hair.

“Morning, how was your night Paloma?” he smirked.

“Delightful.” Paloma remarked sarcastically.

He snickered and helped himself to juice. This was his second home.

“Talking of Max, where is he?” I asked, genuinely wanting to know where he was.

“He went to the toilet I guess.” Jake shrugged. “Don’t worry, he’ll be back to see Paloma quicker than you can say…”

“Morning.” Max said, coming in and cutting Jake off mid sentence.

“Told you.” Jake stated, sitting down at the breakfast bar with his glass.

“Told you what?” Max asked, taking a seat right next to Paloma.

“Paloma was worrying where you’d got to.” Jake smirked again.

“I was not! Tabby was the one who asked after you!” Paloma exclaimed suddenly.

Max laughed. “Wow, I’m loved.” he grinned at Paloma.

“By some more than others.” Jake said.

I was surprised Paloma didn’t hit him then. I didn’t really think there was a need to though, the look she gave him then could’ve caused more pain than one of her slaps any day.

***

That week, Paloma gave glares to almost anyone who joked about her blossoming relationship with Max.

The ratty chihuahua was back temporarily. We tried to avoid making fun of her, because we knew how tetchy she got, but Jake couldn’t help himself by bringing up the odd jokey remark.

I’d decided to tell Paloma about the talk me and my mum had in a couple of weeks. I was mega busy, with the date this Friday and the homework and revision and Christmas plans. I was up to my ears in almost everything.

Friday came around quicker than expected, the weeks seemed to be mashing together with all that was weighing down on my brain.

I slumped in French this Friday afternoon, wishing I was in bed. Our teacher still wasn’t here, and we had a man supply this time. Usually Paloma lusted after them if she thought they were ‘fit’ or whatever, but today, she was unusually quiet, copying out of the textbook and actually doing the work.

“Oi, what do you think you’re doing?!” I asked incredulously.

She looked up, frowning. “The work, duh.”

I laughed, “I know that. But you usually eye up the male teachers, don’t you?” I said.

She grinned. “Yeah, well, I personally think musicians are much cuter. Drummers for example.” she winked, going back to her work.

I laughed.

“That and I’m nervous about tonight. God, what will I wear?!” she said over dramatically.

“Clothes perhaps?” the teacher answered before me.

I laughed so hard, I almost stopped breathing, Paloma seemed to see the funny side of it though.

“Excellent idea sir! I’ll definitely follow your advice!” Paloma answered brightly.

Covers are always made so much better when the teacher has an actual sense of humour.

***

Jake was sleeping soundly in my bed with me, still fully clothed even though he’d brought his pyjamas. Paloma was on the futon mum had got out of the twins’ room. I was surprised she could breathe on that, considering she was on it with Max and it was only meant for one person.

I was the only one awake still. It felt weird not having Bree here.

Tonight’s date had gone well though. We’d gone to the movies, then KFC afterwards. Classy, I know, but it was Paloma’s choice and the boys paid, so I wasn’t complaining.

Paloma was definitely more comfortable with Max; well it looked like she was anyway.

“I don’t know what you were so nervous about.” I’d said to her when we were coming home.

“Well, you know, it’s weird. I don’t date Tabby, you know that. My first love has always been food, there’s never really been someone there.” she’d answered sincerely.

I’d laughed at that comment. It was true after all.

I turned over, smiling to myself. Jake was facing me, his hair a mess already. I blew onto his face.

“WOAH!” he shouted, suddenly sitting up.

I laughed, as Max sat up, confused and disoriented. Paloma laughed with me, her eyes still closed.

“Tabby! Don’t do that!” Jake said, giving me a poke in the ribs.

I laughed again because it tickled. Jake joined in as Max shrugged and settled back down.

“Sorry.” I said, breathless from my laughing.

“You will be.” he said, pulling me in.

I squirmed, wondering what he was planning to do to me. I was surprised when he left his arms around me in a hug. I breathed out a sigh of relief, as I settled down to the sight of Jake’s face inches from mine, a slight smile on his lips.

It was hard to believe only a couple of months ago, we were still best friends, hiding our true feelings from each other. I fell asleep, smiling to myself again. Good thing nobody could see me, I’d bet anything I looked like an idiot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...